Options

Should Donald Trump be impeached?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    No

The misuse and abuse of the term jump the shark is an insult the the legacy of The Fonz.

The guy selling reverse mortgages on TV?
    The Fonz doesn't say no to a challenge.
    Lol

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,197

pjhawks said:

PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

we also have a constitution and i dont remember there being anything in there about not being allowed to call impeachment for the POTUS elect.

On what grounds? He must be charged with something. What is the charge? For christ sake, the guy hasn't even been sworn in yet.
    Right, he needs to be charged.... And maybe he will be. But so far he's managed to muzzle everyone with threats to their careers or pay off his accusers.
    PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

we also have a constitution and i dont remember there being anything in there about not being allowed to call impeachment for the POTUS elect.

On what grounds? He must be charged with something. What is the charge? For christ sake, the guy hasn't even been sworn in yet.
    Right, he needs to be charged.... And maybe he will be. But so far he's managed to muzzle everyone with threats to their careers or pay off his accusers.
    technically one does not have to be charged with a crime for impeachment.
    Yea, it kind of does...
    if talking in the US Court system no they don't.

"The impeachment process is political in nature, not criminal. Congress has no power to impose criminal penalties on impeached officials. But criminal courts may try and punish officials if they have committed crimes."

http://www.crf-usa.org/impeachment/high-crimes-and-misdemeanors.html
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited November 2016
    pjhawks said:

PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

What would he be impeached for that wouldn't also involve charges? I'm not sure a president can be impeached for being a creepy asshole who doesn't know what he's doing, can he?? I think the fact that he is a creepy asshole who doesn't know what he's doing will catch up with him though, eventually leading to charges for one thing or another... Or perhaps just for violating the constitution. Is that a criminal charge for a President?? I actually have no clue. Or maybe a President can be impeached simply for being totally incompetent... anyone?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

Yea, it kind of does...
    if talking in the US Court system no they don't.

"The impeachment process is political in nature, not criminal. Congress has no power to impose criminal penalties on impeached officials. But criminal courts may try and punish officials if they have committed crimes."

http://www.crf-usa.org/impeachment/high-crimes-and-misdemeanors.html
    I was thinking he would be charged criminally in the courts, which would lead Congress to impeach. I didn't have the impression that anyone thought Congress would charge him with a crime.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    No
    can a prez be impeached if he is found on the losing end of a civil suit?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

No idea, but if one were, I would imagine that if a legal settlement that is agreed upon by both parties is reached, that would prevent such an impeachment.
  • Options
    No
    PJ_Soul said:

No idea, but if one were, I would imagine that if a legal settlement that is agreed upon by both parties is reached, that would prevent such an impeachment.
    yeah, but if he didn't settle and lost? I guess maybe it depends if losing a civil suit leads to criminal prosecution, for say, defrauding thousands of people out of millions of dollars on a fake university.

you know, hypothetically speaking, of course.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

yeah, but if he didn't settle and lost? I guess maybe it depends if losing a civil suit leads to criminal prosecution, for say, defrauding thousands of people out of millions of dollars on a fake university.

I don't even know if criminal prosecution is a requirement of impeachment. (I 100% think that Trump is guilty of fraud though, both with his fake university and with his charitable foundation... and I would bet that there is yet more fraud to be found, if only anyone bothered to push the issue).
  • Options
    No
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't even know if criminal prosecution is a requirement of impeachment. (I 100% think that Trump is guilty of fraud though, both with his fake university and with his charitable foundation... and I would bet that there is yet more fraud to be found, if only anyone bothered to push the issue).
    no, as someone stated above, it's not.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

no, as someone stated above, it's not.
    No, I know that impeachment isn't a criminal process in and of itself, but I'm asking what are the requirements for initiating impeachment. Can a president be impeached for simple lack of faith?? I doubt it, because if that were the case Congress would have initiated impeachment proceedings with Obama, lol. Can a president be impeached for plain old awful decisions? Incitement of racism? Or does it have to be an issue that is somehow criminal in nature?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    No
    OK, for the last time...

To impeach a civil officer of the United States is to charge them with a crime. Impeach = charge. It's just another word used to mean the same thing.

Civilians = charged/indicted
    Civil officer (Pres, VP, etc) = impeached

To say he has to have a charge against him in order to be impeached is redundant. You don't charge someone with having a charge.

• Options
    No
    I know peeps around here hate wikipedia, but here it is:

In the United States, impeachment can occur both at the federal and state level. The Constitution defines impeachment at the federal level and limits impeachment to "The President, Vice President, and all civil officers of the United States" who may be impeached and removed only for "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors".[24] Several commentators have suggested that Congress alone may decide for itself what constitutes a "high crime or misdemeanor", especially since Nixon v. United States stated that the Supreme Court did not have the authority to determine whether the Senate properly "tried" a defendant.[25] In 1970, then-House Minority Leader Gerald R. Ford defined the criterion as he saw it: "An impeachable offense is whatever a majority of the House of Representatives considers it to be at a given moment in history."[26]
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Thank you. .... so.... if a president commits a crime, he or she can be impeached, but the only punishment is losing office? Or can impeachment also lead to imprisonment?? Can the president be arrested? If so, would it be by military police? Can the president be court marshaled? ............. I know I could research. Just wondering if anyone here knows. Or is this whole "the president is also a criminal" thing mostly a big fucking mystery to the American population?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Thank you. .... so.... if a president commits a crime, he or she can be impeached, but the only punishment is losing office? Or can impeachment also lead to imprisonment?? Can the president be arrested? If so, would it be by military police? Can the president be court marshaled? ............. I know I could research. Just wondering if anyone here knows. Or is this whole "the president is also a criminal" thing mostly a big fucking mystery to the American population?

they can be charged in criminal court and serve time after an impeachment process but it is a separate process.
  • Options

OK, for the last time...

To impeach a civil officer of the United States is to charge them with a crime. Impeach = charge. It's just another word used to mean the same thing.

To say he has to have a charge against him in order to be impeached is redundant. You don't charge someone with having a charge.

i think the confusion is some thought you needed a criminal charge within the court system first to be impeached, which is not true. yes an impeachment is a charge but it is a separate thing than someone being charged criminally by the court system. you can be either or both.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,624
    The house of rep determines whether they should be impeached. If so, it then goes to the Senate to decide if there will be a 'conviction', needing a two thirds vote. If they're convicted, they get the boot and can be libel for criminal charges, also, but I don't know this would play out at the level of president.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    No
    pjhawks said:

PJ_Soul said:

they can be charged in criminal court and serve time after an impeachment process but it is a separate process.
    pjhawks said:

OK, for the last time...

i think the confusion is some thought you needed a criminal charge within the court system first to be impeached, which is not true. yes an impeachment is a charge but it is a separate thing than someone being charged criminally by the court system. you can be either or both.
    Glad someone understands this!
    And to further answer PJ_Soul, yes the punishment for impeachment is removal from office. There can also be a subsequent vote to prevent them from holding any office in the same jurisdiction. While the subject of impeachment is indeed an act of crime, it does not constitute a criminal trial. As pjhawks said, that is a separate process. And you can face either or both.
  • Options
    No
    so we're all in agreement then, that there are currently no ground to impeach Trump, yes?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,624
    What will probably bite him in the ass is the conflict of interest with his business. I see no way the greedy bastard will resist using his current position as a way to make profitable deals.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

OK, for the last time...

Glad someone understands this!
    And to further answer PJ_Soul, yes the punishment for impeachment is removal from office. There can also be a subsequent vote to prevent them from holding any office in the same jurisdiction. While the subject of impeachment is indeed an act of crime, it does not constitute a criminal trial. As pjhawks said, that is a separate process. And you can face either or both.
    Thanks people! :)
  • Options

so we're all in agreement then, that there are currently no ground to impeach Trump, yes?

I'm not sure how many women coming forward with sexual assault accusations is enough. Obviously 11 women isn't enough for police to investigate .... maybe it's 20? 30? Hard to find that many people to come forward against such a vindictive creep.
  • Options
    No
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm not sure how many women coming forward with sexual assault accusations is enough. Obviously 11 women isn't enough for police to investigate .... maybe it's 20? 30? Hard to find that many people to come forward against such a vindictive creep.
    are they all sticking to their accusations? or have they been "influenced" to drop it?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2016

PJ_Soul said:

are they all sticking to their accusations? or have they been "influenced" to drop it?
    I haven't heard of any retractions from those 11 women. The woman who he raped when she was a kid dropped her suit because she was getting death threats from Trump fans though.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    I'm of the beliefs that Bafoon believes he can pay anyone off !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

I'm of the beliefs that Bafoon believes he can pay anyone off !

Sure, that too. I have no doubt he has spent a bundle on keeping people's mouths shut.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I haven't heard of any retractions from those 11 women. The woman who he raped when she was a kid dropped her suit because she was getting death threats from Trump fans though.
    same here...hopefully none have been bought. I believe they are all in hiding due to threats from ESP and his psycho army. We need to find these women and offer them safety first. The truth will prevail.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

same here...hopefully none have been bought. I believe they are all in hiding due to threats from ESP and his psycho army. We need to find these women and offer them safety first. The truth will prevail.
    The sick thing is that people seemed way more concerned about all the sexual assault allegations against Bill Cosby than they are about those against Trump. It's truly tragic and absolutely disgusting. I am pretty sure I have never felt so disgusted for such a long stretch before, with no end in sight.
  • Options
    Yes
    ^^^its truely mind boggling. I mean that literally. I had to take a sanity test this morning just to make sure everything was okay. As in 'It's not me thats fucked in the head is it?'

Its not
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

^^^its truely mind boggling. I mean that literally. I had to take a sanity test this morning just to make sure everything was okay. As in 'It's not me thats fucked in the head is it?'

Its not

If you're serious about the sanity test, I'd love a link to it, lol.
  • Options
    Yes
    sanityscore.com

you'll need to register, but its free