police kill unarmed black man

Comments

• Options
    dignin said:

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

mcgruff10 said:

does anybody have any reliable data to answer the following:
    how many people were killed by cops this year?
    of that total:
    how many were white?
    how many were black?
    how many had weapons on them?
    how many had prior criminal records?
    how many were on drugs or mentally ill?
    female?
    male?

I was just interested in the breakdown.

Here you go:

In 2016, total is 708. In 2015 it was 990.

Male:679
    Female: 29
    White:325
    Black:173
    Hispanic: 111
    Victim had Mental illness :169 no:539
    Had a weapon?:
    Gun:389
    Knife: 127
    Toy weapon:28
    Vehicle:43
    Unarmed:42

No data on drug usage or criminal records that I could find

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

well there goes the narrative that's been used by MSM and BLM

How so? According to these numbers: 12-14% of the population represent 28% of the people killed by police. (173 / 173+111+325)
    Oh. Just as simple as that! Of course.

There might be a few more variables at play here. Like... say... oh... how about black people resorting to crime in greater proportion given they are not subject to privilege?

Geezuz man. In one thread you bemoan the fact that whites have all the advantages in society (which I wouldn't argue for the most part). Then here... you speak to the disproportionate deaths as if all other things are equal.

Holy f**k.
    Holy fuck is right. They just posted the numbers asked for and you jumped down their throat.

I know cop apologists don't like the numbers, but the numbers don't lie. If you want to talk about another narrative to try and spin this in your favor, go right ahead. But don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message. Which are facts by the way.
    And you conveniently ignore the variables at play here because they disrupt your 'cops out to kill black people' narrative.

Read your teammate's response to mine (just above your post). It speaks to the reality of the situation. It's just not as simple as 'ruthless white cops hunt black people doing hardly anything and kill them' (as much as you, RG, and a few others try and portray).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903

mcgruff10 said:

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

mcgruff10 said:

of that total:
    how many were white?
    how many were black?
    female?
    male?

Here you go:

Had a weapon?:

How so? According to these numbers: 12-14% of the population represent 28% of the people killed by police. (173 / 173+111+325)

There might be a few more variables at play here. Like... say... oh... how about black people resorting to crime in greater proportion given they are not subject to privilege?

Geezuz man. In one thread you bemoan the fact that whites have all the advantages in society (which I wouldn't argue for the most part). Then here... you speak to the disproportionate deaths as if all other things are equal.

Holy f**k.
    For the love of God del, stop talking sense!!!
    When other variables are accounted for in the individual situations, unarmed blacks are more likely to be shot. Referring to the arrest rate being higher for blacks as a reason is actually the source of the prejudice, which is saying that cops perceive blacks as being more prone to violence, therefore they're quicker to shoot them because they view an action as more threatening when compared to a white person doing the same thing.
    For the love of god we are talking 42 unarmed people were shot and killed this year by police out of a country that has more than 300 million people. 99.99999999% of arrests aren't talked about. But those 42 unarmed guys...man let s let it tear a part our country.
    The way some of you sensationalize the numbers I have to wonder if you work for msnbc or fox. The media is a huuuuge part of the problem.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

dignin said:

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

mcgruff10 said:

of that total:
    how many were white?
    how many were black?
    female?
    male?

Here you go:

Had a weapon?:

Holy f**k.
    Holy fuck is right. They just posted the numbers asked for and you jumped down their throat.

I know cop apologists don't like the numbers, but the numbers don't lie. If you want to talk about another narrative to try and spin this in your favor, go right ahead. But don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message. Which are facts by the way.
    And you conveniently ignore the variables at play here because they disrupt your 'cops out to kill black people' narrative.

Read your teammate's response to mine (just above your post). It speaks to the reality of the situation. It's just not as simple as 'ruthless white cops hunt black people doing hardly anything and kill them' (as much as you, RG, and a few others try and portray).
    Your making shit up again. Where have I ignored any variables?
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

mcgruff10 said:

of that total:
    how many were white?
    how many were black?
    female?
    male?

Here you go:

Had a weapon?:

Holy f**k.

Your making shit up again. Where have I ignored any variables?
    Retread your post: it was inflammatory and didn't acknowledge what was placed in the discussion (higher percentages of blacks committing crimes as victims of oppression... therefore higher ratios of cop encounters and consequently... fatal encounters).
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

mcgruff10 said:

of that total:
    how many were white?
    how many were black?
    female?
    male?

Here you go:

Had a weapon?:

Holy f**k.
    When other variables are accounted for in the individual situations, unarmed blacks are more likely to be shot. Referring to the arrest rate being higher for blacks as a reason is actually the source of the prejudice, which is saying that cops perceive blacks as being more prone to violence, therefore they're quicker to shoot them because they view an action as more threatening when compared to a white person doing the same thing.
    For the love of god we are talking 42 unarmed people were shot and killed this year by police out of a country that has more than 300 million people. 99.99999999% of arrests aren't talked about. But those 42 unarmed guys...man let s let it tear a part our country.
    The way some of you sensationalize the numbers I have to wonder if you work for msnbc or fox. The media is a huuuuge part of the problem.
    I'm totally aware of the numbers and not sensationalizing anything. Cops shooting blacks is just one part of the problem, but it happens to get a lot of the attention. What gets less attention is bias in the court system, abuse and denial of rights (unlawful searches, targeting), ignoring probable cause, etc.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

mcgruff10 said:

of that total:
    how many were white?
    how many were black?
    female?
    male?

Here you go:

Had a weapon?:

Holy f**k.
    Good stuff in this thread..."armed" armed with what? Does it specify?
    Generally and in most states armed means any object that could potentially harm another.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    dignin said:

mcgruff10 said:

"It's simple people. Cop says put the gun down. You drop the gun. Cop says get down on the ground. You get on the ground."

that's it right there, plain and simple.

So if your deaf or mentally ill/disabled ... Well, good luck! You're gonna need it.
    good grief that was goofy.

Godfather.

• Options
    Now there video of cops dropping something on ground next to Scott's body.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

CM189191 said:

pjalive21 said:

mcgruff10 said:

of that total:
    how many were white?
    how many were black?
    female?
    male?

Here you go:

Had a weapon?:

Holy f**k.
    And out of those 42, does that include how many were thought to be armed (I saw toy gun had its own stay, but maybe reported as armed or something else mistaken for a gun)? And how many were "unarmed" but physically assaulted the cop and went for his weapon? How many were resisting arrest?
    Since this has been in constant news I have seen I think one single story where anyone was shot who was 100% in compliance. And maybe 2 or 3 more who resisted, but I don't think lethal force was justified.
    I agree, if you're black you are more likely to get shot by police.
    Why do the stats posted automatically prove cops are racist? Why can't they support the rest of the data that there is more violent crime in black neighborhoods? So let's amend my last statement to : if you are black you are more likely to commit a violent crime, and therefore get shot by police.
    I've mentioned before I think there are many reasons to this, mostly a cycle of poverty and lack of father figures that often isn't broken and not that blacks are inherently violent. But that doesn't change the fact that so many ignore, more violent crimes are committed by blacks and a much, much higher gang activity, would could not be possibly connected to more shootings could it?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Video
    Add walking backwards with hands at sides to the long list of what imminently threatens scaredy cops.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000004669386/police-footage-of-charlotte-shooting.html?smprod=amp&region=img
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

Video
    Add walking backwards with hands at sides to the long list of what imminently threatens scaredy cops.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000004669386/police-footage-of-charlotte-shooting.html?smprod=amp&region=img

This weeks imminent threats to scaredy cops

1. Walking forward away from scaredy cop to your vehicle with hands up.
    2. Walking backwards towards scaredy cops away from your vehicle with hands at side.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

Video

2. Walking backwards towards scaredy cops away from your vehicle with hands at side.
    When you use the term 'scaredy' to describe cops... there's an implication there whether you wish to admit it or not. The implication is that you are tough and brave and would handle those situations much better.

I could be wrong and no offence, but I'm guessing you're not tough and in those situations, you would shit your pants (just a guess based on the substance of your posts).
  • Options

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

Video

When you use the term 'scaredy' to describe cops... there's an implication there whether you wish to admit it or not. The implication is that you are tough and brave and would handle those situations much better.

I could be wrong and no offence, but I'm guessing you're not tough and in those situations, you would shit your pants (just a guess based on the substance of your posts).
    You got me thinking, as a kid I was called scaredy cat allot, maybe it stuck with me all these years.
    I have a funny story the last time I shit my pants if you're interested. It was after a long night of beer drinking.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    so it turns out the charlotte guy actually had a gun and the cops said numerous times to put it down. i'm glad people i charlotte used their 1st amendment rights accordingly. (insert sarcasm)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

Video

You got me thinking, as a kid I was called scaredy cat allot, maybe it stuck with me all these years.
    I have a funny story the last time I shit my pants if you're interested. It was after a long night of beer drinking.
    Lol

Well... I guess I called it!
  • Options
    FACTS ABOUT POLICING IN CHARLOTTE

Black men were 67% of those killed by CMPD since 2013 despite being only 17% of the population.
    Black people are 50% of drivers stopped by CMPD, 68% of those searched, and 74% of those who police use force against despite being only 35% of the population.
    CMPD officers are more likely to stop and search black people even though they are not more likely to find contraband as a result.
    CMPD officers are 3 times more likely to arrest black people instead of give them a citation for marijuana possession compared to their white counterparts.
    Charlotte Citizen's Review Board, lacking power to investigate complaints or subpoena witnesses, has never ruled in favor of a civilian complaint against a police officer.
    The Charlotte-Mecklenburg police force is disproportionately white. White people are 76% of CMPD officers despite being only 50% of the population.
  • Options
    The ratio of blacks killed at police detainments is definitely disproportionate to whites when comparing to general population percentages, but I'm not sure this statistic most accurately tells the story.

To investigate it further, I'd be curious to know what the ratios are for race and crime. In other words, for every 100 crimes committed, what percentage of those crimes are committed by blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians, etc?

I'd like to compare those percentages to the cop shooting ratios which are frequently presented. I'm curious to know if cops shoot black people as often as they shoot white people in the same proportion as each race's criminal activity.

In other words, if blacks commit the majority of crimes for which police investigate, it goes without saying that more blacks would be shot than whites in the policing process.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    JC29856 said:

FACTS ABOUT POLICING IN CHARLOTTE

Black men were 67% of those killed by CMPD since 2013 despite being only 17% of the population.
    Black people are 50% of drivers stopped by CMPD, 68% of those searched, and 74% of those who police use force against despite being only 35% of the population.
    CMPD officers are more likely to stop and search black people even though they are not more likely to find contraband as a result.
    CMPD officers are 3 times more likely to arrest black people instead of give them a citation for marijuana possession compared to their white counterparts.
    Charlotte Citizen's Review Board, lacking power to investigate complaints or subpoena witnesses, has never ruled in favor of a civilian complaint against a police officer.
    The Charlotte-Mecklenburg police force is disproportionately white. White people are 76% of CMPD officers despite being only 50% of the population.

In every police stop statistics I've seen, black being pulled over is disproportionately higher, but it's the whites where they find the most contraband.
  • Options

The ratio of blacks killed at police detainments is definitely disproportionate to whites when comparing to general population percentages, but I'm not sure this statistic most accurately tells the story.

To investigate it further, I'd be curious to know what the ratios are for race and crime. In other words, for every 100 crimes committed, what percentage of those crimes are committed by blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians, etc?

I'd like to compare those percentages to the cop shooting ratios which are frequently presented. I'm curious to know if cops shoot black people as often as they shoot white people in the same proportion as each race's criminal activity.

In other words, if blacks commit the majority of crimes for which police investigate, it goes without saying that more blacks would be shot than whites in the policing process.

By "The ratio of blacks killed at police detainments" are you referring to the number killed while in custody but not in a jail yet (in the back of a car, etc), or the number in the facility like a jail?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

By "The ratio of blacks killed at police detainments" are you referring to the number killed while in custody but not in a jail yet (in the back of a car, etc), or the number in the facility like a jail?
    Road side or at the scene.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

I really can't understand what people don't understand about this. if you can adjust for the proportions of white/black population percentages, you need to also adjust for the proportions of white/black criminal percentages. you can't have it both ways. it's not a cop problem. it's a social problem.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I really can't understand what people don't understand about this. if you can adjust for the proportions of white/black population percentages, you need to also adjust for the proportions of white/black criminal percentages. you can't have it both ways. it's not a cop problem. it's a social problem.
    All these variables have been accounted for and African Americans are still abused at a rate higher than whites. I'm not going to dig up the studies again, I've shown them multiple times in the police abuse thread, and they are ignored or explained away.

You are right, it is a social problem......police departments are not immune to social problems. I don't really know how people can't understand this.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    ...so it begins...
    A growing industry for U.S. gun owners: shooting-people insurance
    Programs like U.S. Law Shield promise to defend gun owners for free if they shoot someone in self-defence.

My favorite part is the script they give you, reads just like an officer's statement: ‘I was attacked, and was forced to defend myself.’
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

...so it begins...
    Programs like U.S. Law Shield promise to defend gun owners for free if they shoot someone in self-defence.

My favorite part is the script they give you, reads just like an officer's statement: ‘I was attacked, and was forced to defend myself.’

Posed an imminent threat
    ...how so
    His movements were threatening
    ...but he was walking backwards with his hands empty at his sides
    He had a ankle holster
    ...but it's an open carry state

• Options
    CM189191 said:

...so it begins...

Anyone else find it ironic this guy is a defense attorney, who signed up for insurance to provide a legal defense in the case he uses his gun? He must not have a lot of confidence in himself.
  • Options
    dignin said:

All these variables have been accounted for and African Americans are still abused at a rate higher than whites. I'm not going to dig up the studies again, I've shown them multiple times in the police abuse thread, and they are ignored or explained away.

You are right, it is a social problem......police departments are not immune to social problems. I don't really know how people can't understand this.
    I've never seen such studies.

I call bs.
  • Options

dignin said:

I've never seen such studies.

I call bs.
    Explained away by the fact there is more violent crime in black neighborhoods, or that blacks are more likely to join a gang. I dug up the statistics before too that showed how much more likely (given the population difference) cops are attacked when arresting a black person. All seems very logical to me that it adds up to more black arrests and deaths, and not that the country is racist.
  • Options

1. A study by a University of California, Davis professor found “evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans relative to unarmed white Americans, in that the probability of being black, unarmed, and shot by police is about 3.49 times the probability of being white, unarmed, and shot by police on average.” Additionally, the analysis found that “there is no relationship between county-level racial bias in police shootings and crime rates (even race-specific crime rates), meaning that the racial bias observed in police shootings in this data set is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates.”

2. An independent analysis of Washington Post data on police killings found that, “when factoring in threat level, black Americans who are fatally shot by police are, in fact, less likely to be posing an imminent lethal threat to the officers at the moment they are killed than white Americans fatally shot by police.” According to one of the report’s authors, “The only thing that was significant in predicting whether someone shot and killed by police was unarmed was whether or not they were black. . . . Crime variables did not matter in terms of predicting whether the person killed was unarmed.”

3. An analysis of the use of lethal force by police in 2015 found no correlation between the level of violent crime in an area and that area’s police killing rates. That finding, by the Black Lives Matter–affiliated group Mapping Police Violence, disputes the idea that police only kill people when operating under intense conditions in high-crime areas. Mapping Police Violence found that fewer than one in three black people killed by police in 2016 were suspected of a violent crime or armed.

HOW POLICE DETERMINE WHOM TO STOP
    4. A report by retired federal and state judges tasked by the San Francisco district attorney’s office to examine police practices in San Francisco found “racial disparities regarding S.F.P.D. stops, searches, and arrests, particularly for Black people.” The judges, working with experts from five law schools, including Stanford Law School, found that “the disparity gap in arrests was found to have been increasing in San Francisco.” (Officers in San Francisco were previously revealed to have traded racist and homophobic text messages, and those working in the prison system had reportedly staged and placed bets on inmate fights.)

In San Francisco, “although Black people accounted for less than 15 percent of all stops in 2015, they accounted for over 42 percent of all non-consent searches following stops.” This proved unwarranted: “Of all people searched without consent, Black and Hispanic people had the lowest ‘hit rates’ (i.e., the lowest rate of contraband recovered).” In 2015, whites searched without consent were found to be carrying contraband at nearly two times the rate as blacks who were searched without consent.

5. The Department of Justice’s investigation into the behavior of police in Ferguson, Missouri, found “a pattern or practice of unlawful conduct within the Ferguson Police Department that violates the First, Fourth, and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution, and federal statutory law.” The scathing report found that the department was targeting black residents and treating them as revenue streams for the city by striving to continually increase the money brought in through fees and fines. “Officers expect and demand compliance even when they lack legal authority,” the report’s authors wrote. “They are inclined to interpret the exercise of free-speech rights as unlawful disobedience, innocent movements as physical threats, indications of mental or physical illness as belligerence.”

“African Americans are more than twice as likely as white drivers to be searched during vehicle stops even after controlling for non-race based variables such as the reason the vehicle stop was initiated, but are found in possession of contraband 26% less often than white drivers, suggesting officers are impermissibly considering race as a factor when determining whether to search,” the authors wrote. Nearly 90 percent of documented uses of force by the Ferguson Police Department were used on African-Americans, and every documented use of a police canine bite involved African-Americans.

6. In Chicago, a 2016 Police Accountability Task Force report found that “black and Hispanic drivers were searched approximately four times as often as white drivers, yet [the Chicago Police Department’s] own data show that contraband was found on white drivers twice as often as black and Hispanic drivers.” The police department’s own data, the report found, “gives validity to the widely held belief the police have no regard for the sanctity of life when it comes to people of color.”

7. A 2014 analysis of Illinois Department of Transportation data by the American Civil Liberties Union found the following: “African American and Latino drivers are nearly twice as likely as white drivers to be asked during a routine traffic stop for ‘consent’ to have their car searched. Yet white motorists are 49% more likely than African American motorists to have contraband discovered during a consent search by law enforcement, and 56% more likely when compared to Latinos.”

8. A 2015 analysis by The New York Times found that in Greensboro, North Carolina, police officers “used their discretion to search black drivers or their cars more than twice as often as white motorists—even though they found drugs and weapons significantly more often when the driver was white.” That pattern held true for police departments in four states. In Greensboro, “officers were more likely to stop black drivers for no discernible reason. And they were more likely to use force if the driver was black, even when they did not encounter physical resistance.”

9. A 2013 ruling by a New York Federal District Court judge found that the New York Police Department’s “stop and frisk” practices violated the constitutional rights of minority citizens of the city. Between January 2004 and June 2012, the city conducted 4.4 million stops. Eighty-eight percent of those stops resulted in no further action, and 83 percent of the stopped population were black or Hispanic, despite the fact that those minority groups, together, made up just over half of the city’s overall population. (The number of stop-and-frisk stops has dropped dramatically since its peak in 2011.)

10. A 2011 investigation by the Justice Department found that the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office, headed by Joe Arpaio, had “a pervasive culture of discriminatory bias against Latinos,” and that the office also tried to interfere with the department’s investigation. The sheriff’s office “engages in racial profiling of Latinos; unlawfully stops, detains, and arrests Latinos; and unlawfully retaliates against individuals who complain about or criticize [the office’s] policies or practices,” the report’s authors said. (Arpaio responded by saying, “We are proud of the work we have done to fight illegal immigration.”)

RACE AND THE USE OF NONLETHAL FORCE
    11. A controversial working paper by Harvard professor Roland Fryer Jr. found that police officers are more likely to use their hands, push a suspect into a wall, use handcuffs, draw weapons, push a suspect onto the ground, point their weapon, and use pepper spray or a baton when interacting with blacks. The study found no evidence of racial bias when it comes to police shootings, but Fryer’s methodology has come under criticism. The study relied on police reports, which have been previously shown to be a flawed data set, and its finding on justified shootings focused largely on data from Houston, Texas. (Fryer defended his work, but admitted his research is far from perfect.)

12. A study by the Center for Policing Equity found, as characterized by a preview in The New York Times, that “African-Americans are far more likely than whites and other groups to be the victims of use of force by the police, even when racial disparities in crime are taken into account.” The study looked at 19,000 use-of-force incidents between the years 2010 and 2015.

13. A 2016 study by a team of professors from U.C.L.A., Harvard, Portland State University, and Boston University analyzed suspects’ booking photographs for phenotypical signs of whiteness to test the following hypothesis: “the Whiter one appears, the more the suspect will be protected from police force.” Their findings: “police used less force with highly stereotypical Whites, and this protective effect was stronger than the effect for non-Whites.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/07/data-police-racial-bias

• Options
    14. At least one study found that Latino populations suffer from similar effects. A Department of Justice investigation into the Seattle Police Department found that more than 50 percent of cases “determined to be unnecessary or excessive uses of force” involved minorities. “Analysis of limited data suggests that, in certain precincts, S.P.D. officers may stop a disproportionate number of people of color where no offense or other police incident occurred,” the report said, though it stopped short of determining that the department was engaging “in a pattern or practice of discriminatory policing.” (The investigation found that, regardless of the race of the suspect or victim, police using force were doing so unconstitutionally nearly 20 percent of the time.)

WHEN OFF-DUTY OFFICERS ARE KILLED BY POLICE
    15. A 2010 governor’s task force examining police-on-police shootings found even black and Latino police officers face a greater risk of being killed by police. In cases of mistaken identity, 9 out of the 10 off-duty officers killed by other officers in the United States since 1982 were black or Latino. “Inherent or [subconscious] racial bias plays a role in ‘shoot/don’t-shoot’ decisions made by officers of all races and ethnicities,” the report found.

FINDINGS ON THE USE OF HANDCUFFS
    16. A Stanford study of police practices in Oakland, California, found that officers were disproportionally handcuffing blacks. “Regardless of the area of the city, disproportionate treatment by race was similar and the raw totals were stunning,” according to a Washington Post summary of the findings. The Post continues: “2,890 African Americans handcuffed but not arrested in a 13-month period, while only 193 whites were cuffed. When Oakland officers pulled over a vehicle but didn’t arrest anyone, 72 white people were handcuffed, while 1,466 African Americans were restrained.” The researchers also found significant differences in the way officers spoke to African Americans: “Using only the words an officer uses during a traffic stop, we can predict whether that [officer] is talking to a black person or a white person” with 66 percent accuracy.

STUDIES THAT FOUND LITTLE OR NO EVIDENCE OF ANTI-BLACK BIAS
    17. There are some studies that draw other conclusions. Research by a Washington State University professor found that, while shown video simulations, officers were less likely to shoot unarmed black suspects than unarmed white suspects. They also took an extra 0.23 seconds, on average, before firing on black suspects in the simulations. “We found that officers were slightly more than three times less likely to shoot unarmed black suspects than unarmed white suspects,” the researchers noted, while allowing for the possibility that the officers might act differently in live situations, and that the officers may have adjusted their behavior because they were being tested.

18. In a 2007 study, University of Chicago researchers used simulations to compare the abilities of police officers and the general population to determine whether to shoot a target that was flashed before them. The targets featured a mix of armed and unarmed black and white people. While “both samples exhibited robust racial bias in response speed,” researchers concluded that “officers outperformed community members on a number of measures, including overall speed and accuracy.” The bias related to response speed was found to be anti-black.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/07/data-police-racial-bias
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

Sheeeeeeeet..... You can't put that stat out for the general public to see. That'd B Racist!!!