Horrible experience at Wrigley 2 (also posted this at Given to Fly)

Comments

• MayDay10 said:
    Wow. That persons experience from Mansfield 2003 was a horrible one. Let me be clear again. I was not trying to take a seat away from anyone in a wheelchair. I saw how the section worked. I asked to be put in the back of the section where all of the non-disabled person were standing. Please stop implying or insinuating that I was taking a seat away from anyone who was disabled. I had seats in that section. I was willing to take the worst spot possible in the section, and would have never impeded anyones view who was disabled.
  • DatDerFrannyDatDerFranny Posts: 37
    edited August 2016

If your not ADA and you have ADA tickets:

An individual who has purchased a non-accessible seat through the secondary market but needs an accessible seat must be permitted to exchange the ticket for a comparable accessible seat, if one is available. A venue may choose to move a patron to another seat in order to give that accessible seat to a patron with a disability who requires it, but is not obligated to do so.

Source: https://www.ada.gov/ticketing_2010.htm

My seat isn't "available". I however, was fine with offering it to anyone who needed it, as I have stated. I just wanted to be let in the section. My ticket was printed Section 2 ADA row 3, seats 8, 9 ,10. and I was denied access to the entire section with nothing comparable in return, whatsoever.

Let me ask you this... what kind of usher is playing by the rules, yet hides his badge from the customers?
    Post edited by DatDerFranny on
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,203
    edited August 2016
    This sounds like a mess but it also sounds like a little common sense would have prevented you from spending that much. If you could potentially get booted at any time for someone disabled who wasn't accounted for, why risk it?
  • SP218311SP218311 Posts: 230
    I think this really just speaks to the unprofessional, unprepared, lazy, and incompetent staff that worked the shows this weekend. No one seemed to know anything or care about anything. Was disappointing. Is it always like this at Wrigley?
    1998 Mansfield 09/15 | 2000 Mansfield 08/30 | 2003 Mansfield 07/02, 07/03, 07/11 | 2004 Boston 09/28 | 2006 Boston 05/24, 05/25 | 
    2008 Mansfield 06/28, 06/30 | 2009 Philadelphia 10/27, 10/28, 10/31 | 2010 Boston 05/17 | 2013 Worcester 10/15, 10/16 - Hartford 10/25 |
    2016 Boston 08/05, 08/07 - Chicago 08/20, 08/22 | 2018 Seattle 08/08, 08/10 - Boston 09/02, 09/04 | 2022 Denver, 09/22
    edited August 2016
    SJD3232 said:

This sounds like a mess but it also sounds like a little common sense would have prevented you from spending that much. If you could potentially get booted at any time for someone disabled who wasn't accounted for, why risk it?

Thanks for the sympathy. I couldn't and shouldn't have been booted. If there was anyone there who had a non ADA seat and needed ADA accessible seating, they must make a seat available to them, or give them one if its available. i.e., a non purchased seat, or let them sit with adequate spacing surround them to move in and out freely. Everyone there was taken care of. They wouldn't let me anywhere near the actual section.

My seat was not "available" to be given away. In any event, I had a right to go stand with all of the other able-bodied people in the ADA section. They would not let me in. THIS IS NOT POLICY.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    SP218311 said:

I think this really just speaks to the unprofessional, unprepared, lazy, and incompetent staff that worked the shows this weekend. No one seemed to know anything or care about anything. Was disappointing. Is it always like this at Wrigley?

Never had an issue with any employee in the 35 years going there.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • SP218311 said:

I think some were great and some were bad at their jobs, like anything else. It's just unfortunate that the worst ones were the ones who had the biggest impact on our experience. Marc with a C straight up stole the show, though.
  • I think we all sympathize with you and the many other stories out there.

Try taking the high road and the positives that occurred. You'll save time, brain power and live longer. Don't let it eat at you for in 6 months it's just a story....
    4/6/94, 4/10/94, 4/11/94
    9/26/96, 9/28/96, 10/2/96
    6/14/98, 9/13/98, 9/15/98, 9/16/98
    8/3/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00
    7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03
    9/28/04, 9/29/04
    5/24/06, 5/25/06
    6/28/08, 6/30/08, 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    5/17/10
    10/15/13, 10/16/13
    8/5/16, 8/7/16
    9/4/18, 9/4/18
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,460
    I can see some low life employees who tell their friends they can get them ADA seating, but they have to leave if the seats are needed. Sounds like the OP ended up on the wrong side of someone's unscrupulous power trip.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • ambst95ambst95 Posts: 125
    The fact that you are openly making assumptions of what someone's handicaps may be in your post has me lose much sympathy for your plight. It sounds like the usher staff working that section are not very informed on the anti-discrimination rules associated with ADA seating and should receive better instruction prior to events. Hopefully Wrigley will provide this instruction for future events You're lucky Stubhub is refunding half of your money.
    2003: 4/26 Pittsburgh, PA
    2008: 6/20 Camden, NJ
    2009: 10/28 Philadelphia, PA
    2013: 10/22 Philadelphia, PA; 10/27 Baltimore, MD
    2016: 4/20/ Raleigh, NC; 4/28 Philadelphia, PA; 4/29 Philadelphia, PA; 8/20 Chicago, IL
  • I think we all sympathize with you and the many other stories out there.

Try taking the high road and the positives that occurred. You'll save time, brain power and live longer. Don't let it eat at you for in 6 months it's just a story....

Thanks... that's good advice, and I'm trying to transition to that phase. I just wanted to have our story heard first, however. I do know that life totally goes on, and as long as I have my wife and son, I'm good. I was still totally livid during the experience and sad after, though haha
  • EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    Karma is a BITCH!!! And you got what you deserved!!! I would be ashamed to come on here and tell that story. Buying ADA seating, when NO ONE in the party has a disability. No matter if they were sold on the secondary market or not. Wish people like you would have to live the life of someone in a wheelchair, or a severe disability for a week, hell even a day. Then you might pull this BULLSHIT again in your life!!!!
  • Sounds like the perfect storm of events came together to create a mess.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

I think we all sympathize with you and the many other stories out there.

Take pride in knowing you had the longest post of the day and probably will for the foreseeable future..the more I think about this I have no sympathy towards your story...
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    ADA is not for you
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    edited August 2016
    ambst95 said:

The fact that you are openly making assumptions of what someone's handicaps may be in your post has me lose much sympathy for your plight. It sounds like the usher staff working that section are not very informed on the anti-discrimination rules associated with ADA seating and should receive better instruction prior to events. Hopefully Wrigley will provide this instruction for future events You're lucky Stubhub is refunding half of your money.

The assumption I made of a certain patron was not shared audibly with anyone aside from my party until this forum post, and were just general asides and have nothing to do with the crux of the problem. Those assumptions were made well after Keely hit the lights and the show was over, or in the case of Usher Marc, at the bar long after. Those assumptions mean nothing, particularily when you don't have to be disabled to sit ADA.
    edited August 2016
    EM194007 said:

Karma is a BITCH!!! And you got what you deserved!!! I would be ashamed to come on here and tell that story. Buying ADA seating, when NO ONE in the party has a disability. No matter if they were sold on the secondary market or not. Wish people like you would have to live the life of someone in a wheelchair, or a severe disability for a week, hell even a day. Then you might pull this BULLSHIT again in your life!!!!

You really need a hug. Why would you wish such things on people? There were tons of non-disabled people sitting ADA. I was trying to access the section to sit with those people, behind the people in wheelchairs.
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Posts: 985

EM194007 said:

You really need a hug. Why would you wish such things on people? There were tons of non-disabled people sitting ADA. I was trying to access the section to sit with those people, behind the people in wheelchairs.
    You should see it when she misses out on a poster drop.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Wma31394 said:

I think we all sympathize with you and the many other stories out there.

Take pride in knowing you had the longest post of the day and probably will for the foreseeable future..the more I think about this I have no sympathy towards your story...
    Cool man. You didn't have any sympathy when you first commented, so it's not like youre flip-flopping.
  • Gtilley8 said:

EM194007 said:

LOL.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,453
    Sounds like a terrible experience and I would have been just as pissed in that situation probably.

At the same time though, it seems like you were given many other options (even GA which is great, yes I know the height may have made it inconvenient and the options werent what you paid for) and you and your wife and friend could have found much more enjoyment that night by not constantly revisiting the issue and returning to 'fight' with the jerk ushers. I know its easy for everyone to say "well I would have done this" but im going to, just to get it out there as a thought... If you would have accepted one of the alternatives and enjoyed the duration of the show, then you would have had a much better night and still be able (lucky as you were) to get half your money back from SHub and file all the complaints you want about not being let in initially.

Again, sounds like you got screwed over and I would be just as pissed as you were/are. I wish you a better experience next time.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016

EM194007 said:

You really need a hug.
    No, you really need to grow the FUCK up. You did something that was wrong, and want to be rewarded for it. And by the way, my ASS has been stuck in a wheelchair since 1989 (when I was 19). People like you, thinking I can get better seats by buying ADA seating is BULLSHIT!! I see this type of CRAP going on these days at 99% of the shows, sporting events, etc. I go to.
    edited August 2016

Sounds like a terrible experience and I would have been just as pissed in that situation probably.

At the same time though, it seems like you were given many other options (even GA which is great, yes I know the height may have made it inconvenient and the options werent what you paid for) and you and your wife and friend could have found much more enjoyment that night by not constantly revisiting the issue and returning to 'fight' with the jerk ushers. I know its easy for everyone to say "well I would have done this" but im going to, just to get it out there as a thought... If you would have accepted one of the alternatives and enjoyed the duration of the show, then you would have had a much better night and still be able (lucky as you were) to get half your money back from SHub and file all the complaints you want about not being let in initially.

Again, sounds like you got screwed over and I would be just as pissed as you were/are. I wish you a better experience next time.

You're mostly right, and most nights I would be full-blown ecstatic to sit GA, If I knew however, that I was going to sit GA, I would have arrived far earlier. I said throughout the process to my wife and her friend, I would of rather just had tickets to 500 level seating going in, then I could of enjoyed the show knowing that's what I had.... but when you pay that much and youre denied your seat, it kind of turns into a "fight the good fight" situation. I totally should of called stubhub in the first place... they probably would of gave me field seating and some or all of a refund had I called them during the show. It's just really hard to think logically from thinking youre going to have these awesome seats, get spit on, maybe catch a tambourine or a pick, to getting treated like a scumbag. The incompetence of the two ushers was just baffling to me, and it was offensive as to who he was choosing to let in out of non-disabled people and who he wasn't, case in point my wife's friend when he let her in.

In any event, thanks for the well-wishes.
    Gtilley8 said:

EM194007 said:

Not a she, so, don't know where you got that at. And where in the hell have I've ever complained about a poster drop? Please prove your BS statement or just don't try to be a hero for a person trying to take advantage of the system.
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn Posts: 748
    You're getting some shit on here, and I'm not sure why. You were denied access to your seats, which you had valid tickets for. Its absolutely inexcusable to no let you in, considering they were letting evenhoes wander in and out.... I cannot imagine how I would have reacted to that situation. But on the plus side, you got half that money back, so cut your losses and move on i guess. if i had known the rules about the ADA seating, and had tickets for ADA, I would have gotten there a hell of a lot earlier than 7:15, esp. when the tweeted start time was 7:30...oh well bro, im sure your time spent in Chicago wasn't all bad, just a little 3 hour blip. You're still alive, so thats good....
    Once question: How did you not dump a beer on Marc's head at Murphy's?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    edited August 2016
    For curiosity, I looked up ADA seating for an upcoming show at Wrigley... for Billy Joel. In big red letters on my computer screen it says:

Be advised that you are purchasing ADA accessible seating and companion seats which are restricted to patrons who require accessible seating.

I know that the OP perceived that all the individuals in the section were in fact not in need of ADA seating... but I think I would have looked more into this prior to dropping a $K on tickets. It seems like this leaves a lot up to chance... especially showing up about 15 minutes before their 'advertised' stage-time
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    edited August 2016
    KP_McMinn said:

You're getting some shit on here, and I'm not sure why. You were denied access to your seats, which you had valid tickets for. Its absolutely inexcusable to no let you in, considering they were letting evenhoes wander in and out.... I cannot imagine how I would have reacted to that situation. But on the plus side, you got half that money back, so cut your losses and move on i guess. if i had known the rules about the ADA seating, and had tickets for ADA, I would have gotten there a hell of a lot earlier than 7:15, esp. when the tweeted start time was 7:30...oh well bro, im sure your time spent in Chicago wasn't all bad, just a little 3 hour blip. You're still alive, so thats good....
    Once question: How did you not dump a beer on Marc's head at Murphy's?

LOL... Im not sure how I didn't, either. It was just crazy to me that he was there, and at that point the shit experience was over. I was sort of entertained by his BS excuses, in a wierd wway. Placing all of the blame on Harry, etc. It was comical. Plus I really was enjoying my beer.
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    edited August 2016
    EM194007 said:

EM194007 said:

You really need a hug.
    No, you really need to grow the FUCK up. You did something that was wrong, and want to be rewarded for it. And by the way, my ASS has been stuck in a wheelchair since 1989 (when I was 19). People like you, thinking I can get better seats by buying ADA seating is BULLSHIT!! I see this type of CRAP going on these days at 99% of the shows, sporting events, etc. I go to.
    word
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    I some what sympathize with you but IMO you wasted too much time arguing the situation instead of just taking what you could get. Your first mistake was not getting to the stadium until 7:15 when there was an official tweet saying they were going on stage at 7:45. Second you had access to GA which is the prime location these days that any one else would of loved. IMO you should of just found yourself a nice cozy spot in GA and enjoyed the show. Instead you missed practically all of it fighting a no win situation.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    you can't buy front row seats/tickets to Pearl Jam
This discussion has been closed.