By the way, Ed stopping was awesome

Comments

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Bartman reference.... :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

mikeliska said:

Wma31394 said:

Bartman reference was uncalled for..he changed his tone quickly when the crowd didnt really react or he sensed they didnt appreciate it

Seriously, that was pretty messed up. You have to be completely tonedeaf at this point to still talk about poor Steve.
    Agreed, that was in poor taste on a couple of different levels, but most notable that he made any connection between a man who was supposedly mistreating a woman and Bartman..wtf?
    Completely awesome of Ed for stopping the show for this!

PS I thought the Bartman commebt was uncalled for and very un-Eddie-like. Anyways, this statement was the only mistep of the night IMO
    I agree everything else was awesome of course. I love when Ed calls out bad behaviour. But I feel real sympathy and empathy for poor Bartman. I find his story quite tragic, considering how badly that event affected his life and threatened his safety - he is a real victim just like that girl Ed was defending - so Ed's comment about him bugged me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

mikeliska said:

Wma31394 said:

Bartman reference was uncalled for..he changed his tone quickly when the crowd didnt really react or he sensed they didnt appreciate it

Seriously, that was pretty messed up. You have to be completely tonedeaf at this point to still talk about poor Steve.
    Agreed, that was in poor taste on a couple of different levels, but most notable that he made any connection between a man who was supposedly mistreating a woman and Bartman..wtf?

PS I thought the Bartman commebt was uncalled for and very un-Eddie-like. Anyways, this statement was the only mistep of the night IMO
    I agree everything else was awesome of course. I love when Ed calls out bad behaviour. But I feel real sympathy and empathy for poor Bartman. I find his story quite tragic, considering how badly that event affected his life and threatened his safety - he is a real victim just like that girl Ed was defending - so Ed's comment about him bugged me.
    Unfortuanate yes..tragic.. is overkill..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Bartman comment was no worse than wishing that cab driver dead a few shows back..alcohol makes you say and do things that are messed up.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Hopped UpHopped Up Posts: 254
    Ed said he felt bad for Bartman at the end of his comment, so no need to take offense on his behalf when Ed just mentioned guy pulled out kinda looked like him.
  • Does anyone know what really happened when Ed stopped the show ?
  • Come on, people- the guy is a lead singer for our favorite band -- he is held to the most ridiculous standards here. He doesn't walk on water & I am sure he isn't always the best version of himself. (Who is? None of us are, pretty sure, and someone in the public eye stands almost no chance.)
    I can imagine he would go back and swap some of his words if he could from many shows to clarify his intent but he is just working from the top of his head while rocking out. 90+% of what EV says is for the good and that is better than most people who engages with the public in this manner.

Bravo to Ed for stopping the show to help someone in need....keep on being the best you that you can Ed -- we love you for it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,971
    About the bartman thing, probably just something he thought would be funny that backfired. I don't think there was any mean intent in it, everyone says something once in awhile that they face palm to afterwards
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202

Bartman comment was no worse than wishing that cab driver dead a few shows back..alcohol makes you say and do things that are messed up.

Wow, you're actually comparing it to wishing someone dead? It was a harmless little comment, let it go.
  • Come on, people- the guy is a lead singer for our favorite band -- he is held to the most ridiculous standards here. He doesn't walk on water & I am sure he isn't always the best version of himself. (Who is? None of us are, pretty sure, and someone in the public eye stands almost no chance.)
    I can imagine he would go back and swap some of his words if he could from many shows to clarify his intent but he is just working from the top of his head while rocking out. 90+% of what EV says is for the good and that is better than most people who engages with the public in this manner.

Bravo to Ed for stopping the show to help someone in need....keep on being the best you that you can Ed -- we love you for it.

Damn, logic wins again. :smirk:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Yeah the Bartman thing .... it's because they both were marched out of that stadium. One for a worse offense than the other. Ed even mentioned that, and said something to the effect of his heart goes out to Bartman.

It was fine.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Ed said something controversial :lol:

harmless...listening to him stop in the middle of Lukin and scold a grown ass man was hilarious and then they perfectly go into Mind Your Manners
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951

PJ_Soul said:

mikeliska said:

Wma31394 said:

Last kiss
  • ^ha
  • RS151862RS151862 Posts: 2,640
    If the guy that got kicked out was Bartman who was Alex Gonzalez?
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023 • Baltimore 2024

• KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909

PJ_Soul said:

mikeliska said:

Wma31394 said:

Last kiss
    Agreed
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • any videos?
  • unikunkaunikunka Posts: 87
    This is exactly what happened -- I was two people to left of what happened and saw the whole thing:

The guy who got kicked out was a huge jackass. Early in the night he started shoving a few people. The guy was drunk and his wife/girlfriend got in his face and they were screaming at each other. Nobody knew what was going on but the wife was trying to basically say "you're drunk calm down". A couple of people told him the same and he started pushing again and we called over security. He didn't get booted but he got a stern warning and then started to behave. BTW this was early during Betterman.

Then what happened during Lukin was two-fold -- a girl flat out passed out in about the 8th row. A guy grabbed her and started heading to the rail. Everyone else immediately started clearing the way and helping. The girl was out cold and it was sorta scary. We all started shouting for help but then the guy carrying the girl got to the asshole from before and the asshole probably thought he was getting pushed and turned around and started going fucking crazy. We were all like "dude this girl is passed out" and he sorta calmed down and the girl for over the rail but by that time the song stopped and he was still pushing/jawing and everyone around him was like "you gotta go". So Ed booted him. The girl who was passed out came to as she went over the rail and seemed ok so that's what ed's comment was about but they were actually total separate incidents.

Funniest part was assholes wife had to follow him out over the rail looking pissed cause the guy was an ass. There was another incident where he had gone for beers he didn't need mid-show and was jawing at people on the way back when he was shoving his way back up.
    edited August 2016
    ehbacon said:

About the bartman thing, probably just something he thought would be funny that backfired. I don't think there was any mean intent in it, everyone says something once in awhile that they face palm to afterwards

I agree. To clarify, I'm not having a fit, lol. I am still just expressing how the comment bugged me and ot was a stupid thing for him to say. Just because I criticize something Eddie does it neither means that I think he is Jesus fallen nor that he's the devil FFS. I am the last person to have that idea, and am therefore not scandalized when a Eddie fuchs up. I am also not reticent to point out a flaw for the same reason. That Ed is still cracking jokes about Bartman is lame at best, and certainly doesn't take into account that the event ruined and endangered a life. Just sayin'. Doesn't diminish that it's cool when Eddie reams out a badly behaved audience member though. I love when he does that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Wma31394 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

mikeliska said:

Wma31394 said:

I disagree. I think it's a tragic story. One that highlights mob mentality.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,989
    PJ_Soul said:

Wma31394 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

mikeliska said:

Wma31394 said:

I disagree. I think it's a tragic story. One that highlights mob mentality.
    It is absolutely tragic. This thing has impacted that fan's life in immeasurable ways.

The ESPN 30 for 30 "Catching Hell" was fascinating. The security manager who brought him to her house, the continued lack of contrition from one of the meathead fans they interviewed (and Alou), and, as you say, the freighting mob mentality. Without protection, he'd have been killed. I really believe that.

And now nobody really knows where he is. He's pretty much "In Hiding." I appreciated Buckner's perspective (he signed on to be scapegoated some fan did not) and that of Eric Karros, who seemed rational about the whole thing.

Anyway, when Ed brought that name up I kinda cringed. Because it's time to let that name go and let that fan have a life. But I can't be too hard on Ed for it; it was an off-the-cuff remark and it appeared he pretty quickly understood that he should not have done it.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,989
    The funniest part to me was that during the break I was thinking "It's Lukin...it's a one minute song...they'll just start it over....that would be easier than picking it up mid-song." And they picked up the last 20 seconds or whatever. Classic.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    OnWis97 said:

The funniest part to me was that during the break I was thinking "It's Lukin...it's a one minute song...they'll just start it over....that would be easier than picking it up mid-song." And they picked up the last 20 seconds or whatever. Classic.

It was really impressive how they just picked up like they never stopped. I'm continually amazed by this band.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    OnWis97 said:

And then played Mind Your Manners. Which was perfect.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • KV4053 said:

OnWis97 said:

It was really impressive how they just picked up like they never stopped. I'm continually amazed by this band.
    They have the power to say whatever to anyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1znArj0cQ
  • Friday13Friday13 Posts: 120
    Settle down
  • madseamadsea Posts: 141
    Yeesh...sorry I brought it up.
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503

KV4053 said:

OnWis97 said:

They have the power to say whatever to anyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1znArj0cQ
    Yo no comprende
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Did him stopping feel like Axl Rose at all to anyone else??

And i understood the initial stoppage..but all the explanations and references he made following were kind of muddled out to me. I didn't even hear the Bartman reference.