Options

Offer 10c Merch Pre-Order's - Stop the Madness

Comments

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,804
    No madness = less sales
    Less sales = more shows to compensate 
    More shows = more work/time from home

It is apparent to me that the band is doing things to maximize on their merchandise in order to tour less. They understand many of us are unhappy with it, but we still buy it. The simple fact is, they are a brand/business. Their goal is to make money.

They are fully aware of what DMB does with their posters and fan club tickets. Now I am purely speculating here, but I would highly doubt DMB sells as many posters for their shows. I could be wrong of course.

Alas, after all of the complaints post Wrigley 2013, very little has been done to rectify the issues from our perspective. The band has tried to meet our demands with other types of requests over the years. I remember standing in line for like 2 hours to pick up my 10C tickets at the United Center back in 2008. I believe the last pair I picked up, I waited behind 1 person. However, such a change did not impact anyone's pocket book. The fact that the band has not addressed/responded to these issues in the last 5 years clearly (to me) states that they are quite in favor of the gravy train monster they have created; known as merchandise. And while I hope for changes to the program, I do not expect them and I do not blame the band. It would only change if we were to band together and not buy the stuff/walk past the long lines.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    No madness = less sales

It is apparent to me that the band is doing things to maximize on their merchandise in order to tour less. They understand many of us are unhappy with it, but we still buy it. The simple fact is, they are a brand/business. Their goal is to make money.

They are fully aware of what DMB does with their posters and fan club tickets. Now I am purely speculating here, but I would highly doubt DMB sells as many posters for their shows. I could be wrong of course.

Alas, after all of the complaints post Wrigley 2013, very little has been done to rectify the issues from our perspective. The band has tried to meet our demands with other types of requests over the years. I remember standing in line for like 2 hours to pick up my 10C tickets at the United Center back in 2008. I believe the last pair I picked up, I waited behind 1 person. However, such a change did not impact anyone's pocket book. The fact that the band has not addressed/responded to these issues in the last 5 years clearly (to me) states that they are quite in favor of the gravy train monster they have created; known as merchandise. And while I hope for changes to the program, I do not expect them and I do not blame the band. It would only change if we were to band together and not buy the stuff/walk past the long lines.
    If someone is wiling to stand on line for hours to get a momento from a show/band then, unfortunately, they're the source of this 'problem'.  Enjoy the music everyone.
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    Finally some voices of reason 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    But hey, maybe I'm wrong and they are not aware. So, if they read this, I hope they try offering 1 of each poster to any 10C member who purchases tickets to the show when tickets are purchased. Said poster(s) could then be prepackaged in tube for concertgoer to pick up with their tickets. Regular merxh lines for the rest of the standard concert gear. Brilliant! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Jamer196Jamer196 Posts: 346
    But hey, maybe I'm wrong and they are not aware. So, if they read this, I hope they try offering 1 of each poster to any 10C member who purchases tickets to the show when tickets are purchased. Said poster(s) could then be prepackaged in tube for concertgoer to pick up with their tickets. Regular merxh lines for the rest of the standard concert gear. Brilliant! 
    That would be PERFECT!!
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    They did do this, in 2009. Except they were mailed directly to you later.  But when every poster was not an instant classic loved by 100% of the fan club, people complained. A lot.  See- Philadelphia Spectrum.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    edited July 2018
    Perfect for us. More work and cost for them. They have to hire additional hands to package the posters. Then it has to be tied to the ticket. Who's handing them out? The ticket people? Then its longer to wait for tickets, plus are the box office people PJ employees or venue employees? Can they pass out posters? No? Then they have to hire people to hand them out. That creates lines of people waiting to pickup. What if a poster has a corner bend from packaging because they had to tube 1200 posters? Are there exchanges? Do they want to handle a complain-y 10c member at the show?  

At the end of the day, it just creates different problems. Yes, the current process isn't great. But if you want the shit, I guess you gotta put the time in. Other than just putting everything up for sale before, during and after in the 10c store (which they'll still have to to hire seasonal employees for the tour times to ship), the current method works. Its time consuming, but the onus of that should be on the fans who want the merch.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Humm, can be like a voucher or like food stamps in Ticket envelops that you convert it to goods at Merchandise, doesn't take more time than it takes now in lines and doesn't cost more to make it happen
  • Options
    Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    Yes please to.pre orders. 
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    Everyone wants a pre-order for a poster to the show they're going to, until they see the poster and hate it. Then the bitching and complaining about wanting refunds starts, because they don't want to spend $35 on it anymore. It ultimately becomes just a new thing for people to bitch and complain about.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    BigRed21BigRed21 Posts: 9
    I'd personally rather pay for a sight unseen poster at $35 to a show that I attended than 5-10-20 times that to a person who purchased posters specifically to work the system and make $ because they know it is in demand.  But I want a poster from every show that I've attended regardless of how ugly it is - see State College 2003, Spectrum shows 2009, etc., so I wouldn't bitch about the $35 + shipping anyway.
  • Options
    BigRed21 said:
    I'd personally rather pay for a sight unseen poster at $35 to a show that I attended than 5-10-20 times that to a person who purchased posters specifically to work the system and make $ because they know it is in demand.  But I want a poster from every show that I've attended regardless of how ugly it is - see State College 2003, Spectrum shows 2009, etc., so I wouldn't bitch about the $35 + shipping anyway.
    Same, actually this days I prefer it to be ugly for everyone else, more chances I get 1
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,454
    RP112579 said:
    Everyone wants a pre-order for a poster to the show they're going to, until they see the poster and hate it. Then the bitching and complaining about wanting refunds starts, because they don't want to spend $35 on it anymore. It ultimately becomes just a new thing for people to bitch and complain about.
    This. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    Was it bad again in Prague last night??
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    RP112579 said:
    I've got some horrific posters purely because I was at the show. There are some I frame and hang if they're beauties.  If not, I'm just happy to have the souvenir of the show I went to... I cite Amsterdam 2012... Or SBE or Leeds as posters that were not great to the eye but still serve as something I love to look at as a memory of the show...
    I guess a lot of other people experience it differently but then they ought to be able to engage brain before buying blind right?!
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,397
    edited July 2018
    Why do a blind pre-order? Or even make you pick it up at the show? Timed editions are a thing. Release the image the day before and leave it up until the time of the show. Chaos eliminated and all that is asked is a little more effort by 10C

But I must add it would take a little bit of the sentimental value away having it shipped at a later date. But I still like the idea
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    BigRed21BigRed21 Posts: 9
    edited July 2018
    I realize that this is like politics and one can never really change the mind of someone on the other side, but I think it's easier for a person to get over losing $40-50 for pre-ordering a poster that they don't end up liking or wanting, than having to shell out significantly more than that for a print that they can't get even when standing in line for hours the day of show, only to buy from someone specifically buying the extra posters to make quick cash.  I guess that's where my sense of decency screws me in the end...
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    As someone who willingly buys every poster from shows I attend, I would love to see the 10C offer ticket holding club members to buy the poster sit unseen.  The artists would immediately sell more posters in my opinion (see Fenway lot still available).   You would also limit flippers as 10C members are less likely to flip them as their membership depends on it.    Add the $35 plus shipping option to your tickets
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    Staney12Staney12 Posts: 42
    I would REALLY like to have the option of getting the posters of the shows I attend. I waited for a few hours in Padova, Rome and Prague to buy a poster. No luck, the sell out within minutes. For sure there is a way of making the whole process more time-saving and fans-friendly..
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    No madness = less sales

I think 10C heard the complaints after 2013.  They printed significantly more posters for both Wrigley and Fenway in 2016.  That was a big win for people who wanted a poster from the shows.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Perfect for us. More work and cost for them. They have to hire additional hands to package the posters. Then it has to be tied to the ticket. Who's handing them out? The ticket people? Then its longer to wait for tickets, plus are the box office people PJ employees or venue employees? Can they pass out posters? No? Then they have to hire people to hand them out. That creates lines of people waiting to pickup. What if a poster has a corner bend from packaging because they had to tube 1200 posters? Are there exchanges? Do they want to handle a complain-y 10c member at the show?  

At the end of the day, it just creates different problems. Yes, the current process isn't great. But if you want the shit, I guess you gotta put the time in. Other than just putting everything up for sale before, during and after in the 10c store (which they'll still have to to hire seasonal employees for the tour times to ship), the current method works. Its time consuming, but the onus of that should be on the fans who want the merch.
    If they did a pre-order for posters, I would be more than willing to pay $45 - $50 (plus shipping) for the print to help offset the handling costs.  That additional $10-$15 is a small price to pay to not have to wait in line.
  • Options
    dave grolschdave grolsch Posts: 730
    when i went to Prague 02 to see metallica no poster tubes were allowed into the venue (not sure how last night went for PJ) because of security issues so from that point of view sending them out from a pre- order makes a lot of sense?

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,454
    10 Club Poster Drops for European Tour:

Did they stop because the posters improved and they have less inventory on hand? Or did they stop because its a big hassle to do the drops during the tour and they're going back to dropping them after the shows?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    RP112579 said:
    I've got some horrific posters purely because I was at the show. There are some I frame and hang if they're beauties.  If not, I'm just happy to have the souvenir of the show I went to... I cite Amsterdam 2012... Or SBE or Leeds as posters that were not great to the eye but still serve as something I love to look at as a memory of the show...
    I guess a lot of other people experience it differently but then they ought to be able to engage brain before buying blind right?!
    I know what you mean. I typically buy a poster for all of the shows I attend, but I haven't been able to bring myself to framing the Hampton poster from 2016. Definitely one of the worst. 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    edited July 2018
    This just makes so much sense! I don't understand the point of using any other system!

Just, why haven't they always been doing this?

EDIT: I get it, money, fans complaining about bad posters, etc. But who has enough energy to complain about a PJ poster not being the most brilliant artwork you've ever seen? It's still a PJ poster!
    Post edited by PJWGIII on
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    ZeldaZonk said:
    RP112579 said:
    I know what you mean. I typically buy a poster for all of the shows I attend, but I haven't been able to bring myself to framing the Hampton poster from 2016. Definitely one of the worst. 

If you color it, it makes it a bit more tolerable.  I hand colored two of these for friends at the request of one of them.  This one hangs on a kitchen wall.  

Oh, it is still hideous, but at least now it is colorfully hideous!  :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options

Okay, fair point on the dispersal of them being with the ticket. Though, there could be a separate line with a voucher to pick it up.

Or opt for an additional $10 fee to have said poster mailed to you when tickets are purchased. The mailed orders would probably only require 2 or 3 people packaging and sending them out for 2 weeks or so. Thus, eliminating a need to pay them to travel, lodging and time for working the merch stands. Therefore, increasing profits for the band while satisfying the fanbase. Ordering a poster for a show you are attending sight unseen and not liking it is a risk some would take. You wouldn't HAVE to buy it this way. But if you do and you don't like it, nobody feels sorry for you, but you. Similar to a mystery box. We'd all want the Kong, but may get the Clown.  But most people would enjoy their concert day more by not having to wait for the crazy posters.

Additionally, how about having a designated stand that sells all the stuff except for the posters? This way, the folks who just want stickers and a shirt don't have to wait in the longer lines for people buying posters. 

• Options
    PJ-Cubs said:
    No madness = less sales

I think 10C heard the complaints after 2013.  They printed significantly more posters for both Wrigley and Fenway in 2016.  That was a big win for people who wanted a poster from the shows.
    You are correct on them printing tons more posters. Though I would be hard pressed to believe it was because of our complaints as opposed to them seizing an opportunity to exploit our unwavering desire to shell out copious amounts of money for a nearly unlimited supply of posters.  =)
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    Isn't it mrtsurt that runs the merch at the shows, not 10C these days? If so, that throws a new loop into the puzzle, depending on their contract. I still say do a timed poster drop. But, that will never happen because of the prints people don't want, won't sell good. 

• Options
    ParityParity Posts: 18
    I only ever bought one poster and it's sat in a tube ever since - I'm not entirely sure where it is! Does anybody actually hang these all up, or just hold on to them as a memento? I'm just surprised at all the hoo-ha this causes... I'm not criticising BTW, each to their own and all that, just commenting!