Epic Disappointment: Pearl Jam Fenway 1

Comments

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    OP post your email in entirety along with reply, otherwise close this thread.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    edited August 2016
    If you take the 10C out of it for a second, since people 'round these parts have a natural knee-jerk inclination to leap to their defense no matter what ...

Let's say you were in a car accident that put you in a coma for a month. Let's say you miss your credit card payment due date, on account of being in a coma. Then -- a miracle! -- you wake up from said coma. You notice your credit card company is charging you a late fee for being past due. You figure that, while you technically are past due, perhaps they'd be willing to offer you some extenuating circumstances.

You call your credit card company.

Which of the following two responses seems most appropriate and professional?

A) "I'm sorry sir, but our policy says we have to charge a late fee regardless of circumstances. There's nothing we can do, but I wish you good luck in your recovery." Click.

Or

B ) "Our policy is our policy. We've heard from like 10 people claiming to be in a coma just today. Big coincidence! Say hello to everybody else down there at the coma ward for us, Slick." (pantomimes jerking off motion)

Post edited by slightofjeff on
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440
    my2hands said:

the only generational issue I see is that is now acceptable/cool to be a rude, condescending, snarky, troll...

in summary, its cool to be an asshole nowadays... and seeing how many folks have come to the defense of the 10c it only helps prove my theory

i bet they wouldn't treat him like that to his face

agree. can't believe people are defending the 10C here. i mean if this email is correct and that was the response, regardless of what the OP's original email said, it's just highly unprofessional. i can't imagine any professional organization accepting that type of response from one of their customer service reps.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,982
    I'm not defending the ten club. But I did find their response humorous.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm still not seeing where 10c is being rude. In the first sentence they automatically say "we are sorry to hear that." And then go onto say they've heard from "no less than 10 other members also having emergency surgery today"....so the problem you guys are having is "you may just end up bumping into another fan to commiserate with you while you recover". I mean seriously, what is the big deal in that? They hope you find a fellow fan to discuss how bad it sucks to miss a show?
    I would love to see all the reasons fans want to cancel/exchange their 10c tickets just for the Fenway shows.

They end with: "Unfortunately tickets cannot be exchanged for another show date. We hope to catch you next time The band is in Boston."
    Like I said, I see nothing wrong with this e-mail. And knowing this band they probably will hook this guy up somehow.
    But the big kicker is, what was the tone of the original e-mail to the 10c? Was the op rude? Condescending? Arrogant? Deserving? Demanding?

+1 Well said. It may not have been the best choice of things to say, but it wasn't offensive in the least.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    edited August 2016
    Passive aggressive guilt trips stopped working on me a while back.
    Comparing the 10club to a corporate entity like a credit card company/big bank?
    C'mon, man.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    This thread definitely succeeded in generating the fake outrage it intended to generate.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • I think I fall down the middle of "that was uncalled for" and "people need to lighten the hell up".

Maybe too much snark for someone that has gone through a pretty serious surgery. But as others have said, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets something in the mail a few weeks down the road either.

Tiki said:

Passive aggressive guilt trips stopped working on me a while back.
    Comparing the 10club to a corporate entity like a credit card company/big bank?
    C'mon, man.

It's not a seamless analogy, for sure. The point is: You can say "sorry, no, it's our policy" and stop there. Or you can say, "sorry, no, it's our policy and btw we kind of think you're faking."

Nobody's outraged. At least I'm not. Just saying (for like the thousandth time) that there is probably a better way to handle the situation than the way the 10C emailer apparently chose.
    on2legs said:

I'm not defending the ten club. But I did find their response humorous.

I mean, I did too. I'm pretty much the most sarcastic bastard on earth. There's just a time and a place where that approach is probably not wise/appropriate/necessary.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    maybe next time there is a dedication on the boards due to major health issues or someone passing Ed should get on stage and joke about it, because that would be hilarious?
    OP post a pic of your hosp bracelet, otherwise close this thread.
    my2hands said:

maybe next time there is a dedication on the boards due to major health issues or someone passing Ed should get on stage and joke about it, because that would be hilarious?

"I've got bugs
    Because I've got AIDS."

~drops accordion~
  • just look at the shipping guy's response to many over the years on these forums. that should tell you the mandate the 10C holds for how to deal with the members here. or the president of the fanclub himself, calling the members "assholes". let's just say I'm not surprised by this response.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

I do like the song Bugs...
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    edited August 2016
    Just a thought - what if they gave a credit for the value of your tickets to be used at pearljam.com within two years, upgrade someone else to the not-present person's seats (if they're desirable), and sell your seats at the venue? This way, 10C would be guaranteeing that the revenue is generated within Pearl Jam's organization (either profit or pure profit in the case of someone not redeeming their credit), someone else gets an upgrade (happiness - leading to profit), and they can sell the seat again (more profit)!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    OP, show us actual pics of heart, or close this thread.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

just look at the shipping guy's response to many over the years on these forums. that should tell you the mandate the 10C holds for how to deal with the members here. or the president of the fanclub himself, calling the members "assholes". let's just say I'm not surprised by this response.

while i have never had this issue personally, the 10c responses and interactions with members/customers over the years that I've seen have made it very clear to me that we are just a membership # with a Visa card to them... nothing more, nothing less...
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    benjs said:

Just a thought - what if they gave a credit for the value of your tickets to be used at pearljam.com within two years, upgrade someone else to the not-present person's seats (if they're desirable), and sell your seats at the venue? This way, 10C would be guaranteeing that the revenue is generated within Pearl Jam's organization (either profit or pure profit in the case of someone not redeeming their credit), someone else gets an upgrade (happiness - leading to profit), and they can sell the seat again (more profit)!

Because it would further encourage overbuying and gaming the lottery system. More people would buy tickets for shows they are uncertain they will attend (and have multiple pairs for the same show which already seems to happen).

The hard line no refunds, exchanges, etc is the one thing that keeps the ticketing situation from blowing up into what the poster frenzy has become.
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,990
    I'd like an update from the OP: 1) on your health; 2) your response to five pages of commentary.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023; MSG 1 2024

I'd like an update from the OP: 1) on your health; 2) your response to five pages of commentary.

This is a good point. OP - are you okay?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    MayDay10 said:

benjs said:

Because it would further encourage overbuying and gaming the lottery system. More people would buy tickets for shows they are uncertain they will attend (and have multiple pairs for the same show which already seems to happen).

The hard line no refunds, exchanges, etc is the one thing that keeps the ticketing situation from blowing up into what the poster frenzy has become.
    Fair! I agree.

EV
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    my2hands said:

just look at the shipping guy's response to many over the years on these forums. that should tell you the mandate the 10C holds for how to deal with the members here. or the president of the fanclub himself, calling the members "assholes". let's just say I'm not surprised by this response.

while i have never had this issue personally, the 10c responses and interactions with members/customers over the years that I've seen have made it very clear to me that we are just a membership # with a Visa card to them... nothing more, nothing less...
    True, this situation is tame compared to some of the 10C correspondence to members that I've seen/heard through the years.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • my2hands said:

True, this situation is tame compared to some of the 10C correspondence to members that I've seen/heard through the years.
    I have had good responses by mail.

But I'm not a fan of Tim Bearmans tone on this forum and such (in the past).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I'm not saying that shit doesn't happen. It does. A few years ago I was lucky enough to be in a position that I had 10club tickets for both Leeds and Milton Keynes. Something came up for me (hardly emergency surgery) and even though I was across the effing Atlantic Ocean, I was only able to go to the Leeds show.
    I fully understood the policy when I bought the tickets.
    After the show, I did not fire off an email asking for anything, and you know what? There was no epic disappointment, and no one from the 10club hurt my feelings by saying no to me.
    I'm wishing the OP a Speedy McCready recovery and we'll see you all somewhere down the road.

better chance of seeing pearl jam play tel aviv 10/2/16
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825

Yes and yes.
  • mcgruff10 said:

God people are just way to emotional/sensitive in 2016. 10c made a joke because they ve probably heard tens of thousands of excuses over the years. You bought tickets that aren't refundable, why should they hook you up in the future?

"Made a joke". ?

They implied the OP was lying.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • MP59559 said:

dmbolp said:

If I just got out of the hospital after a week stay due to Emergency Heart Surgery, a concert ticket refund would be the least of my concerns

Given the cost of health care these days, I wouldn't be so sure. Every little bit helps.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    PJ_ROCKS said:

Where'd that popcorn emoji go?

best emoji ever

I wonder if OP is ignoring this thread or just not checking for updates...

I will admit that I once posted something controversial and then just didn't sign on for a few days. Then I came back to like 10 pages of madness :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
This discussion has been closed.