Epic Disappointment: Pearl Jam Fenway 1

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Poncier said:

The email from 10C seems a touch out of line, but the OP didn't show us the text of his original email to them. He said he asked if there was anything they could do to help him in the future. How that email was worded might give us further insight as to why the response was worded the way it was, or maybe not.
    Either way, hope you recover quickly and completely Christopher. Sorry you missed the show, and hope you see many great shows to come in the future.

I noticed this too. It's not the whole story without the original email, and now that it's been raised I'd be a bit suspect of anything that got posted after the fact as the original email. If you're going to complain about a communication, why leave your original message out? It all just sounds a bit....

And yeah, 10Club's response was snarky, especially if OP really had heart surgery. But I gotta say, it also feels suspect about OP having emergency heart surgery. That is a MAJOR emergency, MAJOR surgery, and frankly, as obsessive as a PJ fan for 23 yrs as I am, I am NOT focusing on talking to the 10Club if I need to have emergency surgery on my heart! I am focusing on staying alive and probably freaking out about it.

The whole thing is a bit odd, including the 10Club's response, but OP needs to understand that his side of the story doesn't sound totally up front either.

No matter what though OP, heart surgery or not, I am very glad you're ok and able to talk abotu stuff like this. The outcome could always be far, far worse....
    dmbolp said:

If I just got out of the hospital after a week stay due to Emergency Heart Surgery, a concert ticket refund would be the least of my concerns

Yup, this! ^^
    Noload said:

I'm enjoying this reasonable response to this in the last few posts. Maybe there is hope for us after all. The guy had a serious situation, the 10 club hears a tremendous amount of well crafted bullshit complaints/requests, they profiled (we all do, it's a method of survival that's in our DNA for a reason), they got snarky cuz most of what they hear is bullshit, he was telling the truth and he didn't like the response which is understandable. The policy still stands regardless. Now, both parties go about their business and we have something called a civilization.

Just out of curiosity... how do you know OP was telling the truth? I agree that the professional thing to do is not to publicly doubt the guy and to just keep it simple "nothing we can do sorry, get well soon", but we never saw his original post and maybe it just screamed "I'm not really having heart surgery"? Or maybe it was very convincing but how do you know it was real?

Medical records or it didn't happen! :)

Sorry, is it too soon to add further jokes to this? I'm very glad OP is ok, no matter what went down. But this is the internet, so I am wondering how anyone knows for sure (other than OP) if OP really had heart surgery?
  • Massara133Massara133 Posts: 431
    Damn, hope you're OK OP and that really sucks you had to miss the show.

I agree the 10club's response was in poor taste, I'm sure they get lied to all the time but that's no excuse to assume everyone is lying and make such an insensitive sarcastic comment.

TBH, I also find it a little disappointing that so many board members defend the 10club when they've obviously done wrong. I guess it's a matter of opinion whether their comment was inappropriate, but it seems pretty clear to me.
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    That doesn't look good, but I'm sure they didn't mean it to be offensive. At any rate, the important thing is your health. I hope you came out of the surgery well :)
  • chriszeechriszee Posts: 107
    Pretty shocked people are defending 10c on this one. They didnt mean it to be offensive? Simply say you stick to your policies. Sorry. Absolutely no need for the sarcasm and snark. Whether he is lying or not.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    It seems like a few people on this thread have passed their interviews and are ready to be insensitive 10c customer service reps. Well done!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    We all love sarcasm.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Posts: 2,646
    Ask for some signed tickets like those from Charlotte to ease the pain.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845

Stickers ease the pain. Whenever a song like Sirens gets me down, I go straight to the sticker book.
  • mpedonempedone Posts: 1,946
    dmbolp said:

If I just got out of the hospital after a week stay due to Emergency Heart Surgery, a concert ticket refund would be the least of my concerns

Given the cost of health care these days, I wouldn't be so sure. Every little bit helps.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

Raleigh.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    Sorry to hear about the OPs emergency.
    I have zero problem with the 10club response. There's a clear policy, and if you do something for one person it starts a domino effect in only one direction and opens up a floodgate of HEY why didn't I get that.
    The word Epic is overused.

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Tiki said:

I have zero problem with the 10club response. There's a clear policy, and if you do something for one person it starts a domino effect in only one direction and opens up a floodgate of HEY why didn't I get that.

So you don't think the 10C could have said "sorry, no" without calling a heart patient a liar?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Sadly, I can believe that people are defending 10c.

This isn't about generational gaps, it's about someone being a jerk to a person that just had a pretty major surgery. I'm pretty sure people have been asking for and getting sympathy throughout human history.

I get that 10c probably hears 100 sob stories for every show, but the one time they let their guard down and get emotional is the time that bites them. We've all had these types of tests in our jobs and in life.

It's stories like this that make it easier to purchase non-10c exclusives elsewhere.

If it turns out it's the surgery story is a bunch of bs, I'd expect the guy to be booted from the club or have his ticket rights revoked. Same should go for the employees.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,129
    The ticket policy is a red herring. There is no justification for 10C's mocking, unprofessional response. That has nothing to do with the request made or the policy in question.

Is it a huge deal? No, probably not. That doesn't mean we should pretend 10c isn't out of line here.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dmbolpdmbolp Posts: 1,287
    Where's 10C calling him a liar??? Their policy is they don't give refunds, for any reason, which would include emergency heart surgery
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    edited August 2016

Tiki said:

So you don't think the 10C could have said "sorry, no" without calling a heart patient a liar?
    Again I hope the emergency has passed for the OP.

A cold and uncaring "sorry, no" response would have received exactly the same level of disappointment, with exactly the same "I'm disappointed with the 10club" post to the forums or facebook. Levity in response to a situation such as this is one thing (and frankly what I would expect), and what you're suggesting (a baldfaced lie to a sick kid) is another. I don't see it that way.

Things happen in life and there are often disappointments, epic or not epic. Trust me, I've seen it.
    "We hope to catch you next time The band is in Boston."
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    I'm still not seeing where 10c is being rude. In the first sentence they automatically say "we are sorry to hear that." And then go onto say they've heard from "no less than 10 other members also having emergency surgery today"....so the problem you guys are having is "you may just end up bumping into another fan to commiserate with you while you recover". I mean seriously, what is the big deal in that? They hope you find a fellow fan to discuss how bad it sucks to miss a show?
    I would love to see all the reasons fans want to cancel/exchange their 10c tickets just for the Fenway shows.

They end with: "Unfortunately tickets cannot be exchanged for another show date. We hope to catch you next time The band is in Boston."
    Like I said, I see nothing wrong with this e-mail. And knowing this band they probably will hook this guy up somehow.
    But the big kicker is, what was the tone of the original e-mail to the 10c? Was the op rude? Condescending? Arrogant? Deserving? Demanding?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    dmbolp said:

Where's 10C calling him a liar??? Their policy is they don't give refunds, for any reason, which would include emergency heart surgery

You're missing the point of the OP's complaint. Go read his post.
    Tiki said:

Tiki said:

Again I hope the emergency has passed for the OP.

A cold and uncaring "sorry, no" response would have received exactly the same level of disappointment, with exactly the same "I'm disappointed with the 10club" post to the forums or facebook. Levity in response to a situation such as this is one thing (and frankly what I would expect), and what you're suggesting (a baldfaced lie to a sick kid) is another. I don't see it that way.

Things happen in life and there are often disappointments, epic or not epic. Trust me, I've seen it.
    "We hope to catch you next time The band is in Boston."
    Come on, man.
    JimmyV said:

The ticket policy is a red herring. There is no justification for 10C's mocking, unprofessional response. That has nothing to do with the request made or the policy in question.

Is it a huge deal? No, probably not. That doesn't mean we should pretend 10c isn't out of line here.

Yes. All of this. I don't think anyone is suggesting this is Armageddon. Just a poor attempt at customer service.

I don't blame the 10C for denying his request per policy. I don't blame the original poster for feeling put off by the 10C insinuating he was making up heart surgery.
  • BCBABCBA Posts: 220
    Its not a big deal, why not just drop it then?
    BCBA said:

Its not a big deal, why not just drop it then?

Because this is a message board.
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm still not seeing where 10c is being rude. In the first sentence they automatically say "we are sorry to hear that." And then go onto say they've heard from "no less than 10 other members also having emergency surgery today"....so the problem you guys are having is "you may just end up bumping into another fan to commiserate with you while you recover". I mean seriously, what is the big deal in that? They hope you find a fellow fan to discuss how bad it sucks to miss a show?
    I would love to see all the reasons fans want to cancel/exchange their 10c tickets just for the Fenway shows.

They end with: "Unfortunately tickets cannot be exchanged for another show date. We hope to catch you next time The band is in Boston."
    Like I said, I see nothing wrong with this e-mail. And knowing this band they probably will hook this guy up somehow.
    But the big kicker is, what was the tone of the original e-mail to the 10c? Was the op rude? Condescending? Arrogant? Deserving? Demanding?

Exactly
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    edited August 2016
    I agree it isn't a big deal. Is the 10c even calling him a liar? Or just implying everyone is telling the truth? Does it matter? Should they have refunded everyone's tickets with the emergency surgeries?... or provided tickets to a future show(s)?

I kind of like that there is an actual person at the other end. It was a little brush attempt at levity. It wasn't received well, but not worth a 2 week campaign on various social media platforms.

And again, whats the end game? Why keep pressing this?
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    edited August 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

The 10C response is clearly sarcastic, which wasn't really neccesary.

You really believe they were seriously advising him to look for other fans at the hospital? Come on, man.

Take those sentences out, leave the rest and you have a professional response. In terms of customer service, it doesn't really matter the "tone" of the original email. If you're doing this right, you just don't go there.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
  • chriszeechriszee Posts: 107
    MayDay10 said:

I agree it isn't a big deal. Is the 10c even calling him a liar? Or just implying everyone is telling the truth? Does it matter? Should they have refunded everyone's tickets with the emergency surgeries?... or provided tickets to a future show(s)?

I kind of like that there is an actual person at the other end. It was a little brush attempt at levity. It wasn't received well, but not worth a 2 week campaign on various social media platforms.

And again, whats the end game? Why keep pressing this?

For a band with such a unique following and will openly say they are where they are because of the fans, that is no way to treat one. Even if you are getting lots of people who you think are fabricating stories to become an exception of the policy, it was handled in EXTREMELY poor taste. What if it was a death in the family and a few others had used that as an "excuse" as well? Would they have teed off on the member then? It shouldnt matter. As for the end game, who knows, but I sure am glad it was posted.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance Posts: 23,243
    edited August 2016
    So best I can tell people (including me) have discussed the following:

1. the snarky tone of the e-mail
    2. the health of the OP
    3. the 10c ticket policy as it relates to OPs situation, request, etc,.
    4. generational divides

I apologize to you all for first posting about #1 and my thoughts, but then having a nice bourbon fueled series of posts about #4. Not where I was wanting that to go, but as this place tends to do, I ranted and detracted. Definitely meant no ill will towards any of you here, definitely meant no harsh criticism towards the OP about his generation (whatever that is) or anybody else as humans, people, parents, etc,.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    the only generational issue I see is that is now acceptable/cool to be a rude, condescending, snarky, troll...

in summary, its cool to be an asshole nowadays... and seeing how many folks have come to the defense of the 10c it only helps prove my theory

i bet they wouldn't treat him like that to his face
This discussion has been closed.