Options

Wrigley Weather

Comments

• Options
    PJM3333PJM3333 Chicago Posts: 291

PJM3333 said:

Simple solution to avoid this in the future - Play United Center

There it is! Hell, play 3 shows at United! No weather...no curfew...
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
    2016-Lexington, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018-Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    PJM3333 said:

PJM3333 said:

Or play at the Cell, because the Cubs suck.
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    OnWis97 said:

wnh1977 said:

As I've said earlier: If they had a show in 2013, they'll have a show this time around. It just might be a pain in the ass again.

2013 Wrigley was a weird-ass show. Of course there was the extreme heat and sunshine during the day. I remember being in my seat at the time listed on the ticket JUST IN CASE the show started at the time. I think they ended up coming on an hour after the ticket said.
    #1 - Had they come on when the ticket said, they could've probably played a full main set before leaving the stage before the storm (easily an additional 10-12 songs... they played 7 before leaving stage).
    #2 - I felt like they left wayyyyy prematurely (after first 7 songs). I don't know what kind of discussions were taking place, or who was ultimately in charge of the final decisions, but I felt like they left when the weather was still really, really good. There was more than enough time to get off the field, get people to safe spots, etc. And yes, I know they want to error on the side of caution, but you could see by looking at the skies that nothing was going to happen right away.
    #3 - It's been 3 years, but I seem to remember it taking forever for them to get back on stage as well. We still got 30+ songs that night, so it's not like we were cheated. But the 2.5 hour delay just made it feel like a discombobulated show.

Long story short, it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall to see what discussions were being had and with whom? I know safety is a HUGE deal to Pearl Jam... understandably so. But it felt like at least 30 minutes were wasted on either side of the delay when they could've been rocking under completely safe conditions. But who knows, if they would've gotten 17 - 20 songs in before the rains came, maybe the powerful decision-makers would've said that was good enough to call it a show? Fans would've been outraged. Just a wacky, weird day.

I'm going to hope Tom Fucking Skilling is right. By evening/night, some partial clearing on Saturday!!
    From my understanding (I wasn't there), the big problem that night was lightning. I don't know how it works in Chicago, but where I live (Texas) if you're at, say, an outdoor sporting event and there's a lightning strike anywhere within like a 10-mile radius, everything is shut down for at least an hour. If there's another strike within that radius, the clock re-sets.

I've been at high school football games where there's not a cloud in the sky over the stadium, but because there was a lightning strike recorded nearby, everyone has to clear off the field for at least an hour.

My point is: It could have been completely out of the band's hands back in '13.

My larger point: I think Pearl Jam proved that night that they'll do whatever it takes to get the show in. Which is why I'm not worried about Saturday, particularly.
    But there was a little bit of press for that and some really upset neighbors. If it happens again, the show is simply off this time.
    Eh. I think they'll figure it out if it comes to that.

Honest question: Has any Wrigley show ever been just flat cancelled by weather?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    PJM3333 said:

But the whole point of playing Wrigley is to play Wrigley.
  • Options

PJM3333 said:

Yeah, I get it. 2013 was awesome. Can't wait for the shows this weekend!
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    PJM3333 said:

Monday night low of 62°. Another Epic evening!

Should make it very comfortable in the pit!
  • Options
    Left PorchLeft Porch Posts: 845
    Going back to NY early Sunday morning, only thing I'm worried about is the hangover I'll have.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    PJM3333 said:

Agreed. So crazy that they haven't play the UC since 2009.
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    PJM3333 said:

PJM3333 said:

PJM3333 said:

Or play at the Cell, because the Cubs suck.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/xT5LMSgoX3R3nKEgEg/giphy.gif
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Jamd44 said:

They cant play Sunday. Baseball fields require the grass to rest for 24 hours. They need to remove all seats after the show .That's why it's sat/mon and boston was fri/sun

didnt jason aldean play 2 nights after pj in 2013? so 3 nights in a row?
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    RG292419RG292419 Chicago Posts: 79

There haven't been a whole lot of concerts (started in 2005), but no.
    95 - Soldier Field, 11 - Alpine Valley PJ 20 N2, 13 - Wrigley Field, 16 - Wrigley 1 & 2, 18 - Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

PJM3333 said:

Were they set up this way this year (Sat then Mon) so that if there was a problem on Sat, it would be rescheduled to Sunday? I am only going to night 1 so if it gets moved I'm screwed. I'm considering using SW points to buy a new return ticket just in case it gets moved... I mean weather forecasts have 80-90% chance of rain and thunderstorms Saturday. And if I were gonna buy a new return ticket for Monday and take the day off work to try to make a rescheduled Sunday show then I might as well bump it to Tuesday and attempt to find a ticket for Monday's show too (not to mention 2 more nights hotel). My wife will kill me if it plays out like that!
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348

OnWis97 said:

wnh1977 said:

As I've said earlier: If they had a show in 2013, they'll have a show this time around. It just might be a pain in the ass again.

2013 Wrigley was a weird-ass show. Of course there was the extreme heat and sunshine during the day. I remember being in my seat at the time listed on the ticket JUST IN CASE the show started at the time. I think they ended up coming on an hour after the ticket said.
    #1 - Had they come on when the ticket said, they could've probably played a full main set before leaving the stage before the storm (easily an additional 10-12 songs... they played 7 before leaving stage).
    #2 - I felt like they left wayyyyy prematurely (after first 7 songs). I don't know what kind of discussions were taking place, or who was ultimately in charge of the final decisions, but I felt like they left when the weather was still really, really good. There was more than enough time to get off the field, get people to safe spots, etc. And yes, I know they want to error on the side of caution, but you could see by looking at the skies that nothing was going to happen right away.
    #3 - It's been 3 years, but I seem to remember it taking forever for them to get back on stage as well. We still got 30+ songs that night, so it's not like we were cheated. But the 2.5 hour delay just made it feel like a discombobulated show.

Long story short, it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall to see what discussions were being had and with whom? I know safety is a HUGE deal to Pearl Jam... understandably so. But it felt like at least 30 minutes were wasted on either side of the delay when they could've been rocking under completely safe conditions. But who knows, if they would've gotten 17 - 20 songs in before the rains came, maybe the powerful decision-makers would've said that was good enough to call it a show? Fans would've been outraged. Just a wacky, weird day.

I'm going to hope Tom Fucking Skilling is right. By evening/night, some partial clearing on Saturday!!
    From my understanding (I wasn't there), the big problem that night was lightning. I don't know how it works in Chicago, but where I live (Texas) if you're at, say, an outdoor sporting event and there's a lightning strike anywhere within like a 10-mile radius, everything is shut down for at least an hour. If there's another strike within that radius, the clock re-sets.

I've been at high school football games where there's not a cloud in the sky over the stadium, but because there was a lightning strike recorded nearby, everyone has to clear off the field for at least an hour.

My larger point: I think Pearl Jam proved that night that they'll do whatever it takes to get the show in. Which is why I'm not worried about Saturday, particularly.
    But there was a little bit of press for that and some really upset neighbors. If it happens again, the show is simply off this time.

while i hope youre right, i wouldnt be so sure.

2013 they had to pull MAJOR strings because it was a one off special occasion. all other concerts, and there were a few big ones in chicago- pitchfork, phish, jay z, etc, the all got cancelled. pj and co. pulled huge clout that evening to get us all a good chunk more of music. since they have a show on monday, and they figure that a good portion of people are going to both shows, they will have less of a leg to stand on if theres lightning late in the evening to get the mega extended curfew..

lets hope its just a bad, early forecast.. a lot can happen in the next 3-4 days

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    Jamd44 said:

They cant play Sunday. Baseball fields require the grass to rest for 24 hours. They need to remove all seats after the show .That's why it's sat/mon and boston was fri/sun

Not true. Jason Aldean played the next night in 2013, which is another reason they couldn't just delay it by a day and had to make it THE SHOW MUST GO ON that night.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

PJM3333 said:

must be a Sox fan

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    wnh1977 said:

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised with this. I'm sure threatening conditions were probably close enough to do what they did. I was just giving my perceptions as a greedy fan who wanted as much PJ as possible that night. You can't blame the band or other decision-makers for taking extreme caution.

I felt like they came back on and played midnight to 2pm... not the 11:30 that Cubu mentioned. It just felt like coming back on stage and getting the music cranked up took forever. Eddie talked, introduced Ernie Banks, let Ernie talk, did the mediocre Cubs song, "All the Way" (hey, I'm a Cubs fan, but I was ready to get the show moving at this point)... I just kept feeling like, "Christ, let's get it going!" Again, 30+ songs, keeping 40,000 people safe... the band and people involved did everything they could, I have no doubt. But I remember Eddie getting interviewed in the Cubs broadcast booth a year or so ago... you could tell that the way the night unfolded still bothered him a little bit.
    They reopened the field at 11:30, but it was still quite a while before they hit the stage. It was almost midnight when they got to All The Way and they played till just after 2. It did feel like it took forever. And I remember thinking the energy in the entire place was very, very different from before the nearly 3 hour break. Not negative, just you could feel it was less energy than at 8:30. I remember that broadcast booth interview too. They were sort of laughing about it but you could tell he was bugged.

• Options
    nycrats said:

OnWis97 said:

wnh1977 said:

2013 they had to pull MAJOR strings because it was a one off special occasion. all other concerts, and there were a few big ones in chicago- pitchfork, phish, jay z, etc, the all got cancelled. pj and co. pulled huge clout that evening to get us all a good chunk more of music. since they have a show on monday, and they figure that a good portion of people are going to both shows, they will have less of a leg to stand on if theres lightning late in the evening to get the mega extended curfew..

lets hope its just a bad, early forecast.. a lot can happen in the next 3-4 days

I guess what I'm saying is, I'll be shocked if the answer come Saturday is "show is cancelled, let's refund everyone's money."
  • Options

nycrats said:

OnWis97 said:

wnh1977 said:

I guess what I'm saying is, I'll be shocked if the answer come Saturday is "show is cancelled, let's refund everyone's money."
    Won't get cancelled. Let's all just relax. This is THE Wrigley Field after all! What can possibly go wrong?!?

- Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

PJM3333 said:

must be a Sox fan
    http://giphy.com/gifs/tvland-the-brady-bunch-14rACYMwBmXDqM
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
  • Options
    - Chicago G

• Options

nycrats said:

OnWis97 said:

wnh1977 said:

Won't get cancelled. Let's all just relax. This is THE Wrigley Field after all! What can possibly go wrong?!?

Bwahahaha!!
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
  • Options
    -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    Getting worried now. My weather app says 90% rain and thunderstorms Saturday evening.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    The last weather thing I saw has the highest percentage of rain (92 percent) at 7 p.m. on Saturday (motherfucker!) ... but chances plummet to 32% around 8:30. Which would work if it played out that way, yes?

Of course, it's insane to think the predictions could be that precise four days in advance.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    No matter what happens... We will make the best out of it and enjoy being there.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options

Getting worried now. My weather app says 90% rain and thunderstorms Saturday evening.

WeatherBug says 40% at night. We'll be fine! Open with Wash...all will be well....
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    PJM3333 said:

You'd have to play 8 or more shows at the United Center to match the attendance number for 2 at Wrigley
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    myoung321 said:

PJM3333 said:

You'd have to play 8 or more shows at the United Center to match the attendance number for 2 at Wrigley
    That would be great!
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
  • Options
    PJM3333 said:

WeatherBug says 40% at night. We'll be fine! Open with Wash...all will be well....
    To quote the great Quint from the movie Jaws....
    "Ya got yer rubbers?"

- Chicago G

• Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    PJM3333 said:

Fingers crossed!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden