Stranger Things (Netflix TV show)

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    dankind said:
    Sounds like I am alone in thinking this season was boring and they should pack it in.
    Glad y'all loved it!
    I guess? I was pleasantly surprised. They managed to make it darker and inject more humor at the same time. 
    Yeah, I think this has actually been my favorite season.
    I agree. And I was not expecting much. I just figured the kids, as they got older, would not be as endearing as they first were. But they made it work. 

Mike’s character was the only one I found annoying. I think the actor overacted through much of the season. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    Sounds like I am alone in thinking this season was boring and they should pack it in.
    Glad y'all loved it!
    I guess? I was pleasantly surprised. They managed to make it darker and inject more humor at the same time. 
    I agree. And I was not expecting much. I just figured the kids, as they got older, would not be as endearing as they first were. But they made it work. 

Mike’s character was the only one I found annoying. I think the actor overacted through much of the season. 
    I thought his character was supposed to be annoying, though. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Finished 3 last night. The finale was one of the most entertaining season ending episodes you'll ever see. 
    SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you think of the end scene?  When they said "The American" do you think it was Hopper they were referring to or Murray?
    Well I was disappointed because it probably is Hopper. As great a character as he is, I really hope he is dead. I've always thought one of the marks of a great show is when they have the courage to kill off main characters. Most of the great shows have done it. 
    My first thought was it has to be Hopper. They can't get rid of him, can they?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    Finished 3 last night. The finale was one of the most entertaining season ending episodes you'll ever see. 

What did you think of the end scene?  When they said "The American" do you think it was Hopper they were referring to or Murray?
    Well I was disappointed because it probably is Hopper. As great a character as he is, I really hope he is dead. I've always thought one of the marks of a great show is when they have the courage to kill off main characters. Most of the great shows have done it. 
    The actor who plays Hopper I don’t think even knows himself. He was quoted somewhere as saying that he hopes Hopper will be back, but he doesn’t really know...or something to that effect. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Glad y'all loved it!

I thought his character was supposed to be annoying, though. 
    Yeah but it seemed forced to me. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

If they have a set of balls they can!
    chinese-happy.jpg

If they have a set of balls they can!
    Judging by the way female characters have been handled (although season three was a lot better in this respect, even if it did feel forced by previous criticisms), I'd guess it's mostly balls making the decisions.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    What are some of the criticisms? I guess I'm oblivious to them..
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited August 2019
    The first two seasons had some Bechdel test fails. The second season, the female characters, including the children, seemingly had to wind up with male romantic partners. And the story behind the way Sadie Sink (Max) was blindsided by the Duffers to kiss Caleb McLaughlin (Lucas) is pretty shitty -- even if she later said it was fine.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I don't know what criticisms others have. But for me regarding season 3, I think Mike and Lucas are two of the most annoying television characters I've ever seen, most attempts at comedy fell flat (especially anything related to the new character Robin), and Hopper was just a little "off" to me this season. Not sure how to explain it. He just seemed different than the first two seasons. Way less likeable. 

Minor nitpicks aside though, I've enjoyed all three seasons and watched them through twice. I particularly liked that season 3 went full-on 80's by making Russians the bad guys. But despite two viewings, I'm still not sure exactly what those Russians were trying to do. But that's the 80's: Russians being evil for the sake of being evil Russians. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    edited August 2019
    nvm. stand corrected...
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited August 2019
    Wrong character, @mickeyrat

You're referring to Will; we were referring to Mike.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Wrong character, @mickeyrat

You're referring to Will; we were referring to Mike.
    oh yeah thats right. well hormones.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I don't know what criticisms others have. But for me regarding season 3, I think Mike and Lucas are two of the most annoying television characters I've ever seen, most attempts at comedy fell flat (especially anything related to the new character Robin), and Hopper was just a little "off" to me this season. Not sure how to explain it. He just seemed different than the first two seasons. Way less likeable. 

Minor nitpicks aside though, I've enjoyed all three seasons and watched them through twice. I particularly liked that season 3 went full-on 80's by making Russians the bad guys. But despite two viewings, I'm still not sure exactly what those Russians were trying to do. But that's the 80's: Russians being evil for the sake of being evil Russians. 
    Lucas' sister was more entertaining than Lucas.

And I just assume the Russians were trying to somehow use that stuff for their own benefit to win the cold war or something. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    dankind said:
    The first two seasons had some Bechdel test fails. The second season, the female characters, including the children, seemingly had to wind up with male romantic partners. And the story behind the way Sadie Sink (Max) was blindsided by the Duffers to kiss Caleb McLaughlin (Lucas) is pretty shitty -- even if she later said it was fine.
    I've never heard of a the Bechdel test before. So it has to have these rules to pass?
    1. It has to have at least two [named] women in it
    2. Who talk to each other
    3. About something besides a man

This is sort of a horse shit litmus test, though, no? Why would a movie/tv show have to have this? Especially a show based around a bunch of nerdy teenage boys who are awkward around girls?

Is there an opposite kind of test for male actors too? Unless I am missing something this seems stupid. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    I think it just speaks to dumb writing for female characters
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Finally finished S3 this weekend. I felt this season was up and down compared to seasons 1 & 2 but they really nailed the finale. Man, when Hopper nodded was tough.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • We all knew he would still be alive!
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    edited February 2020
    We all knew he would still be alive!
    Uhh... spoiler alert! Dick!  =)
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • We all knew he would still be alive!
    Did you not watch the trailer?
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    We all knew he would still be alive!
    Did you not watch the trailer?
    I did. But far be it from me to talk shit to you. :lol:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    IMDB shows first episode of season 4 airs in 2021. no date just the year. for just the first episode....

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Just finished season 3
    thought it was horrible compared to the first two
    seemed to be more “campy”
    lowlights:
    Steve and his nerdiness, and sailor uniform 
    the “terminator “ Russian
    Lucas’s sister
    taking the time to sing TNES song before giving the code
    will be interesting to see if they can pull off a season 4
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ Agreed with this. The cheesy singing was cringe worthy. Hope it rebounds in season 4 
    ummm when the hell is season 4 coming out? :angry:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Not watching it yet but did Eleven get married?  Do the other boys go off to college?

Considering they were kids then teens and it seems like 4 years has passed.  This will be interesting.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/stranger-things-4-did-duffers-leave-fans-clue-sneaking-timestamps-trailer.html/

My daughter just showed me this on tik tok. pretty crazy the shit people find. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD