Options

Obama's actions/speech caused the Dallas shooting...

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    RiotZact said:

"Race relations have gotten worse under Obama!"

Well.....uh.....yeah! Don't things always have to get ugly before they're fixed? Lincoln didn't just say "Umm.....hey southerners, free those slaves" and magically slavery was over. MLK didn't just do one march and segregation was done, no, many black people were killed for protesting and extremist groups like the Black Panthers were formed. Give me one example of race relations in this country improving by white people saying "yeah sure we'll start accepting that." It's really sad that every step we've taken to improve black/white relations in this country has to involve stuff like this happening before there is any real change that gets made. But history shows that, as fucked up as it may sound, all of this might actually be a step in the right direction.

This is thought-provoking. Reminds me of "without destruction, there can be no reconstruction" - attributed to Shiva, I think.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

yes Obama(his speeches' and comments) have contributed to strained race relations since he's has been elected but also I blame the week minded people who act on what he has said to the public (if I had a son he would look like Trayvon) just because stupid happens to have a leading roll in our society does not mean we should follow him or the moron up-sprouts like Sharpton and Jackson, as president he publicly made statements that gave law enforcement as a whole a bad image and by doing so he gave his weak minded followers a excuse to kill...in their weak minds.

Godfather.

Oh boy ok talk about a weak mind ...
    I was gonna write the exact same thing Jose, but I decided not to go there w/ a Fox News watcher. :lol:
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

You do have to ask yourself, why have all these massacres been so frequent under Obama s presidency?

Really you can ask that and no mention of the weapons used ...
    Same weapons were there under W.
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

You do have to ask yourself, why have all these massacres been so frequent under Obama s presidency?

Really you can ask that and no mention of the weapons used ...
    Same weapons were there under W.
    So the massacres started happening when Obama got elected ok got it ..
    the number of massacres have increased under his term, not quite doubled but close.

Godfather.

• Options
    rgambs said:

yes Obama(his speeches' and comments) have contributed to strained race relations since he's has been elected but also I blame the week minded people who act on what he has said to the public (if I had a son he would look like Trayvon) just because stupid happens to have a leading roll in our society does not mean we should follow him or the moron up-sprouts like Sharpton and Jackson, as president he publicly made statements that gave law enforcement as a whole a bad image and by doing so he gave his weak minded followers a excuse to kill...in their weak minds.

Godfather.

Those moron up-sprouts, as you call them, have helped more people through hard times in their lifetimes than you would in 10 lifetimes. But, they were mostly black people so I can see why that bothers you.
    so you are a supporter of Sharpton and Jackson ? ....tell me, what kind of goat do you have ?

Godfather.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,609

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Those moron up-sprouts, as you call them, have helped more people through hard times in their lifetimes than you would in 10 lifetimes. But, they were mostly black people so I can see why that bothers you.
    so you are a supporter of Sharpton and Jackson ? ....tell me, what kind of goat do you have ?

Godfather.

You know you are able to apply a little critical thinking in your life. That just because someone tells you something, it is not a fact. You can respect some of the things they have done in their careers, especially Jackson, while disagreeing with some (or even many) of their tactics/philosophies.

That would take a bit of self-reflection though, which I am pretty sure is well beyond your capacity...

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    And you probably blame Obama to fit your own narrative and pre-made conclusion. To go from 22% bad in '09 to 69% bad now, reflects the racism that's come to the surface. If we had McCain/Romey, that racism would've been there, just less so at the surface. A black president can be a challenge to white privilege, so people push back.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    RiotZact said:

To whatever degree that is true, correlation does not necessarily equal causation. America was not ready for a black president and there's a ton of anger about it. That he (well not he, any black person) is President has had an indirect role but cannot be held responsible for the white anger that has perpetuated since. I wish he'd lost in 2008; I really do. We were not ready and probably never will be.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

You know you are able to apply a little critical thinking in your life. That just because someone tells you something, it is not a fact. You can respect some of the things they have done in their careers, especially Jackson, while disagreeing with some (or even many) of their tactics/philosophies.

That would take a bit of self-reflection though, which I am pretty sure is well beyond your capacity...

good grief... they say money can't buy common sense, what a shame.

Godfather.

• Options
    OnWis97 said:

RiotZact said:

To whatever degree that is true, correlation does not necessarily equal causation. America was not ready for a black president and there's a ton of anger about it. That he (well not he, any black person) is President has had an indirect role but cannot be held responsible for the white anger that has perpetuated since. I wish he'd lost in 2008; I really do. We were not ready and probably never will be.
    white anger ????? have you watched the news lately or for that matter the last 7 years ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

I don't understand.

I would say common sense and general intelligence is understanding that Jesse Jackson has done a ton of good for a lot of people, especially in the civil rights era. At the same time, I can also disagree with their knee jerk reactions that I feel are often made.

But again, getting this through to you would mean you would have to look in the mirror and understand that the world is not nearly as black and white as you seem to think it is.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

I don't understand.
    me either sometimes but it really doesn't matter.

Godfather.

• Options

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

I don't understand.

Godfather.

I think there are plenty more things you don't understand than do...
  • Options

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

I don't understand.

Godfather.

I think there are plenty more things you don't understand than do...
    and you think too much my friend.......for that matter maybe all of us think to much but believing we have it all figured out is our first mistake.

Godfather.

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Liar
  • Options

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

I don't understand.

I would say common sense and general intelligence is understanding that Jesse Jackson has done a ton of good for a lot of people, especially in the civil rights era. At the same time, I can also disagree with their knee jerk reactions that I feel are often made.

But again, getting this through to you would mean you would have to look in the mirror and understand that the world is not nearly as black and white as you seem to think it is.
    wait ! ...............knee jerk reactions ???????????? if a white guys says the shit they spew it's called racism ? but they're black so it's a knee jerk reaction ? HAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHA OHHHHHH TAHT'S GREAT !!!!

Godfather.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    OnWis97 said:

RiotZact said:

If America wasn't ready in 2008 when was it EVER going to be ready? It goes to show how awful was the state of this country was from the previous president to elect a black senator with an unusual name. Once elected after that realization was set in that he was president I think it was more resentment rather than anger that he was president. Ever since that time ANYTHING negative that has happened in this country is displayed at his feet as you mr president are the cause of this. Kind of like the supposition that has been posed by the OP.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options

rgambs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

I don't understand.

wait ! ...............knee jerk reactions ???????????? if a white guys says the shit they spew it's called racism ? but they're black so it's a knee jerk reaction ? HAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHA OHHHHHH TAHT'S GREAT !!!!

Godfather.
    Goodness....
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Okay, I'm pretty sure every president throughout history has had bad things that happen during their presidencies blamed on them. I get tired of the "people don't like Obama because he's black" rhetoric and it completely disregards the fact that many just do not like his positions and policies. As to the topic of the forum. My question would be, "Had he done anything to perpetuate the growing mentality that black people are being treated unfairly by police or validated the actions by those that act out violently?" I think there has been some favoritism or bias shown by his attending funerals of criminals like Michael Brown. That gesture made a huge statement and made many in law enforcement feel that he did not support them, perpetuating a division.
    That is the only situation currently coming to my mind as a time where he validated the anger and outrage of the black community during a situation where the police actually acted accordingly. The response from leaders to that event was absurd.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    PJPOWER said:

Okay, I'm pretty sure every president throughout history has had bad things that happen during their presidencies blamed on them. I get tired of the "people don't like Obama because he's black" rhetoric and it completely disregards the fact that many just do not like his positions and policies. As to the topic of the forum. My question would be, "Had he done anything to perpetuate the growing mentality that black people are being treated unfairly by police or validated the actions by those that act out violently?" I think there has been some favoritism or bias shown by his attending funerals of criminals like Michael Brown. That gesture made a huge statement and made many in law enforcement feel that he did not support them, perpetuating a division.
    That is the only situation currently coming to my mind as a time where he validated the anger and outrage of the black community during a situation where the police actually acted accordingly. The response from leaders to that event was absurd.

Be careful with what you write on here. There are actually people who read this stuff and believe it.

President Obama has unfortunately attended many funerals while in office. However, not one one of them falls under the classification of criminal. Unless of course you want to include Nelson Mandela, Beau Biden, and Clementa Pinkney as criminals

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/06/22/a-list-of-the-prominent-funerals-president-obama-has-and-has-not-attended/
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    ^^^^^^^When I read that about the President attending MB funeral I thought that was a bit odd that he would be there. I was going to look that up to be sure because if he did, THAT would be insiteful and a cause for resentment from police. That would've been a factual thing he may have done that could lead to the shooter's action in Dallas. So I gather we are still looking for something worthy of facts.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,941
    g under p said:

Like some noted in the BLM thread that it appears race relations in this country has gotten worse since his election. Some in congress from the beginning have plotted to work against the president in every way and for the most part mission accomplished.

As for the OP's point there could be some truth to his sentiment. In that with Obama being President not necessarily what he said or has done but just being in office. The deranged shooter may have felt embolden to do something....to somehow make a difference by shooting white officers. Something had to be wrong with this fellow that he couldn't see that killing another human being was the wrong thing to do and the impact that woul follow. How was this ever going to help police officers with their interaction with all communities around the country? To me that shooter has made race relations far worse not necessarily the president but I'm sure some will place blame in his hands. It goes with that job, if Trump wins the election I hope he can handle accusations such as this with some class and grace.

Peace

is it really worse? or does it just seem that way?

has the confluence of internet accessibilty with its subsequent lack of social interactive decorum and the limitless sourcing of info (accurate or not) coued with his presidency only served to expose what was in plain sight all along? in particular since the acsension of trump?

I'll grant in some areas we have seen improvement in relations but as a whole that needle hasnt moved very far at all if we're honest.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited July 2016

PJPOWER said:

Be careful with what you write on here. There are actually people who read this stuff and believe it.

President Obama has unfortunately attended many funerals while in office. However, not one one of them falls under the classification of criminal. Unless of course you want to include Nelson Mandela, Beau Biden, and Clementa Pinkney as criminals

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/06/22/a-list-of-the-prominent-funerals-president-obama-has-and-has-not-attended/
    Yeah, my bad on that, my memory is flawed. It was three other White House officials that attended which is still quite a gesture of validation (maybe not from Obama specifically). Still no respect for the other "leaders" that hyped up that situation leading to the riots.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Art Acevedo says you're wrong.
  • Options
    Bill Murray is right. It's impossible to win an argument with an idiot. They could be a baseball team that lost by double digit runs and they'd still claim victory. Race relations are worse because of the goddamn tealiban party.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Obama's actions/speech caused the Dallas shooting, so

Give me proof/facts why this is true or false:

It's true because, well shoot, everybody knows everything is Obama's fault!

OK, enough sarcasm. I can't wait to see how this unfolds. :lol:
    It's called wanting things both ways just to excuse your party of wrong doing because double standards say so. Blame democratic congress for Dubya and blame Obama for republican congress. Who needs responsibility?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,941
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Free said:

I wonder that if Obama was white if he had half as many haters....

Or republican. He's get a pass like they give to Dubya and Trump.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    At the end of the day, the only person that is responsible for or "caused" the Dallas shooting is the asshat that did the shooting. We can be angry with, disagree with, dislike others and their opinions and still choose not resort to mass murder. It was his personal choice. Rhetoric from Obama increasing tension or not, it does not give someone the right to shoot up police or vise versa. The guy was a sick fuck, period. We've got to start holding individuals responsible for their individual actions. 99% of us live in peace, not being violent or shooting each other up regardless of our differences. It's good to keep that in mind while looking through a media microscope.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on