Options

Help Seattle Musician Shawn Smith *Update 7/15

Comments

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,496
    edited July 2016
    Spoken said:

I saw a Facebook post from Shawn last night saying that he was fine. I really didn't know what he was talking about, but now it makes sense. And now that post I saw has been deleted.

So Xana is lying? The GoFundMe has gotten a lot of money already...
    Hard to say, since his post that said he was fine has disappeared. Although, if you go to Xana's facebook, there's nothing publicly posted about this. If she wanted to get the word out, you'd think she'd be using social media to do so.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,573

:rofl: She said Chode.

What's a "chode"?

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684

What's a "chode"?

2-3 different variations -- I always saw it as Choad.
    Go to UrbanDictionary.com and look it up.
    I had it as synonymous with Taint or Grundle....but it appears the Stubby Hubby is the primary definition.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

What's a "chode"?

I had it as synonymous with Taint or Grundle....but it appears the Stubby Hubby is the primary definition.
    I assume that is not the place to procure "tickets".
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,522
    I feel for your friend and hope he gets the help or money he needs. But I do not like these GoFundMe pages or website or whatever they are. I think anyone could start a scam and no ways am I saying that your friend is. But what makes him so more important than the next homeless guy or starving child that needs some money to help them along in life. My other question is what has happened to all his money that he has made to this point in his life?
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    hedonist said:

What's a "chode"?

I assume that is not the place to procure "tickets".
    :rofl:

Back to the topic: has anyone been able to verify what is happening?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,650
    This is why i only give to St Jude or other children's charities. Too fishy
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,451
    Is there a way to tell gofundme it could be a fraud post?
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Spoken said:

Is there a way to tell gofundme it could be a fraud post?

Yes. https://www.gofundme.com/contact?t=donation_page_report
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,178
    Wasn't Xana Andy Wood's girlfriend?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Maybe her Tweeter account got hacked & this is all fake?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    I feel like the mods should get involved in this. I mean if this is false, and someone is using the board to run a scam, isn't that worse than posting ebay links and talking about BJ's?
  • Options
    Where there's smoke there's fire. If u feel it's a scam it probably is. There should b no questions or suspicion. Personally, it's seems off so good luck to Mr. Smith if he truly is in need
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Spoken said:

I feel like Pearl Jam fans are being scammed on Facebook with this GoFundMe

How much is this little charade up to?
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,735
    10K last I checked.
    She kinda calls the band out again in her latest update, which to me, isn't gonna win any sympathy. The whole thing just seems odd to me.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,570
    There has to be some guilt felt when you make it big as a musician and your friends who are musicians don't. Not saying they should feel guilty but just human nature.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I haven't looked at the gofundme since yesterday, so IDK if it's been updated, but it was stated that the guy she's doing this for doesn't know about it. That strikes me as fishy, and not really something that I would recommend anyone trust. Personally I know it's not exactly the band's business, but if this guy was a friend or something it would be kind of nice if they got ahold of him to ask about this, since they are explicitly named.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    She keeps calling Stone out...not very nice...
  • Options
    jazzbo26 said:

I feel like the mods should get involved in this. I mean if this is false, and someone is using the board to run a scam, isn't that worse than posting ebay links and talking about BJ's?

I :rofl: 'd over this.

Kind of surprised this hasn't been formally addressed, if only being a thread in this forum.

**note - formally addressed as in the actual subject, not BJ's. I'll assume the mods are cool on that front :sunglasses:
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Yup, she was engaged to Andy. She's a Seattle staple, but a little, um, different. Anyway, I'm sure this was done with the purest of intentions, but she certainly has made a bunch of assumptions generated some confusion, and .comes across as unnecessarily abrasive.

Shawn didn't know she had started the gofundme page, and started getting asked questions about his health, with people thinking he was sick. He isn't. Xana's point is that he's 50 years old without any insurance, any safety net, no savings, etc.. so "if" he got sick he'd be screwed. But while he isn't sick, he does struggle financially. He has almost always been a musician working hand-to-mouth. He's always been just on the cusp of breaking through. He's had some great bands (Brad, Pigeonhed, Satchel), and a great solo career, but none of those things have made him financially stable. It is a shame because I think he's one of the greatest voices to come out of Seattle. Shawn is struggling financially, and is always selling gear, or new music to make ends meet and pay the bills. If Xana had worked with Shawn to set something up, and it was written in a more coherent, less abrasive style, I'm sure the fundraising would be even more successful than it has been thus far.

Is this a scam? I doubt it. Shawn's financial struggles are real, and Xana is a friend of his. Does it come across as shady? Sure.

If you'd like to help Stone's friend Shawn, but don't trust this gofundme campaign then buy his music.
    A lot of his home recordings and solo stuff can be found here:
    https://shawnsmith.bandcamp.com/

Buy his physical media here:
    http://www.soundvssilence.bigcartel.com/
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight, jeff. I'm not inclined to donate but your view helped (as usual) in understanding a bit better.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    hedonist said:

Thanks for the insight, jeff. I'm not inclined to donate but your view helped (as usual) in understanding a bit better.

Thanks, Hedo. I haven't decided about this gofundme campaign yet. I still have questions. But I do buy Shawn's music, and donate through bandcamp. He gets some money and I get some great tunes! If he pops up and endorses the gofundme site, I'll jump in, but until then I'll remain cautious like many of you.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    jeffbr said:

hedonist said:

Thanks, Hedo. I haven't decided about this gofundme campaign yet. I still have questions. But I do buy Shawn's music, and donate through bandcamp. He gets some money and I get some great tunes! If he pops up and endorses the gofundme site, I'll jump in, but until then I'll remain cautious like many of you.
    Same here. Such a huge talent..

Hoping for a better outcome soon
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    While the go fund is doing well I choose not to fund this time even if it is genuine
    Something tells me not to this time
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,083
    I hope Shawn is doing ok. There hasn't been an update on his Facebook pages but on Twitter he did re tweeted a video hours ago .. https://twitter.com/theeshawnsmith
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    Thanks jeffbr for the insight and the links. I ordered the four CD bundle from http://www.soundvssilence.bigcartel.com/ and will head over to bandcamp to pick up more.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    so he is healthy and has a roof over his head... why are people sending him money? he cant access social services and health insurance? I have no problem helping out a fellow human, but this is ridiculous in my opinion for people just to send money... I like the idea of buying his music, I think that is a much better idea... or maybe he can get a job like the rest of the world maybe?

just because a musician is down on his luck a little doesn't mean people should just send $ to some gofundme account... how about the millions of regular folks out there struggling to get by? i'm sure there of plenty people right on this board that could use a gofundme account to help them get by... there are kids eating out of garbage dumps and i'm supposed to send money to a Seattle musician in good health?

I hope everything works out, but i'm worried about paying my own bills

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Xana update #8 "Keep It Coming".
    Post edited by Spoken on
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

Yup, she was engaged to Andy. She's a Seattle staple, but a little, um, different. Anyway, I'm sure this was done with the purest of intentions, but she certainly has made a bunch of assumptions generated some confusion, and .comes across as unnecessarily abrasive.

Shawn didn't know she had started the gofundme page, and started getting asked questions about his health, with people thinking he was sick. He isn't. Xana's point is that he's 50 years old without any insurance, any safety net, no savings, etc.. so "if" he got sick he'd be screwed. But while he isn't sick, he does struggle financially. He has almost always been a musician working hand-to-mouth. He's always been just on the cusp of breaking through. He's had some great bands (Brad, Pigeonhed, Satchel), and a great solo career, but none of those things have made him financially stable. It is a shame because I think he's one of the greatest voices to come out of Seattle. Shawn is struggling financially, and is always selling gear, or new music to make ends meet and pay the bills. If Xana had worked with Shawn to set something up, and it was written in a more coherent, less abrasive style, I'm sure the fundraising would be even more successful than it has been thus far.

Is this a scam? I doubt it. Shawn's financial struggles are real, and Xana is a friend of his. Does it come across as shady? Sure.

If you'd like to help Stone's friend Shawn, but don't trust this gofundme campaign then buy his music.
    A lot of his home recordings and solo stuff can be found here:
    https://shawnsmith.bandcamp.com/

Buy his physical media here:
    http://www.soundvssilence.bigcartel.com/
    How do you know all this - and speak with certainties in spots?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,522
    my2hands said:

so he is healthy and has a roof over his head... why are people sending him money? he cant access social services and health insurance? I have no problem helping out a fellow human, but this is ridiculous in my opinion for people just to send money... I like the idea of buying his music, I think that is a much better idea... or maybe he can get a job like the rest of the world maybe?

just because a musician is down on his luck a little doesn't mean people should just send $ to some gofundme account... how about the millions of regular folks out there struggling to get by? i'm sure there of plenty people right on this board that could use a gofundme account to help them get by... there are kids eating out of garbage dumps and i'm supposed to send money to a Seattle musician in good health?

I hope everything works out, but i'm worried about paying my own bills

Well said, my thoughts exactly
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2