Options

Help Seattle Musician Shawn Smith *Update 7/15

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

jeffbr said:

Wasn't Xana Andy Wood's girlfriend?

Yup, she was engaged to Andy. She's a Seattle staple, but a little, um, different. Anyway, I'm sure this was done with the purest of intentions, but she certainly has made a bunch of assumptions generated some confusion, and .comes across as unnecessarily abrasive.

Shawn didn't know she had started the gofundme page, and started getting asked questions about his health, with people thinking he was sick. He isn't. Xana's point is that he's 50 years old without any insurance, any safety net, no savings, etc.. so "if" he got sick he'd be screwed. But while he isn't sick, he does struggle financially. He has almost always been a musician working hand-to-mouth. He's always been just on the cusp of breaking through. He's had some great bands (Brad, Pigeonhed, Satchel), and a great solo career, but none of those things have made him financially stable. It is a shame because I think he's one of the greatest voices to come out of Seattle. Shawn is struggling financially, and is always selling gear, or new music to make ends meet and pay the bills. If Xana had worked with Shawn to set something up, and it was written in a more coherent, less abrasive style, I'm sure the fundraising would be even more successful than it has been thus far.

Is this a scam? I doubt it. Shawn's financial struggles are real, and Xana is a friend of his. Does it come across as shady? Sure.

If you'd like to help Stone's friend Shawn, but don't trust this gofundme campaign then buy his music.
    A lot of his home recordings and solo stuff can be found here:
    https://shawnsmith.bandcamp.com/

Buy his physical media here:
    http://www.soundvssilence.bigcartel.com/
    How do you know all this - and speak with certainties in spots?
    I am not friends with Shawn, but I have a few friends who are, so I hear things. Take my post with a grain of salt as well. I'm just a Seattle music fan concerned about the well-being of a local musician that has brought me joy.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Yup, she was engaged to Andy. She's a Seattle staple, but a little, um, different. Anyway, I'm sure this was done with the purest of intentions, but she certainly has made a bunch of assumptions generated some confusion, and .comes across as unnecessarily abrasive.

Shawn didn't know she had started the gofundme page, and started getting asked questions about his health, with people thinking he was sick. He isn't. Xana's point is that he's 50 years old without any insurance, any safety net, no savings, etc.. so "if" he got sick he'd be screwed. But while he isn't sick, he does struggle financially. He has almost always been a musician working hand-to-mouth. He's always been just on the cusp of breaking through. He's had some great bands (Brad, Pigeonhed, Satchel), and a great solo career, but none of those things have made him financially stable. It is a shame because I think he's one of the greatest voices to come out of Seattle. Shawn is struggling financially, and is always selling gear, or new music to make ends meet and pay the bills. If Xana had worked with Shawn to set something up, and it was written in a more coherent, less abrasive style, I'm sure the fundraising would be even more successful than it has been thus far.

Is this a scam? I doubt it. Shawn's financial struggles are real, and Xana is a friend of his. Does it come across as shady? Sure.

If you'd like to help Stone's friend Shawn, but don't trust this gofundme campaign then buy his music.

I am not friends with Shawn, but I have a few friends who are, so I hear things. Take my post with a grain of salt as well. I'm just a Seattle music fan concerned about the well-being of a local musician that has brought me joy.
    No worries! Thanks for the insights.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Love his music. Worried about the legitimacy of this........

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    If he would hand write a lyric sheet and sign it is send him $ though .... Not sure why people don't do more stuff like that
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    No longer accepting donations.
    Site is closed.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,723

No longer accepting donations.
    Site is closed.

Not only closed. But the GoFundMe page has now .. disappeared?!?
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,025
    Before the campaign ended, as a complete stranger, I messaged XLF directly through the GFM page and flat out told her she was taking a merciless beating in here...in this particular thread, on this particular page.

She responded to that message last night and In a nutshell,

She's genuinely concerned about her friend Shawn and couldn't give less of a shit as to what you think about it.

If you're interest is peaked, and I know that it is, instead of questioning her and her intentions in public, maybe you should buy a few of Shawn's releases or his CDs, That's on my agenda today. I'm also going to listen to Interiors .

https://shawnsmith.bandcamp.com
    over at http://www.soundvssilence.bigcartel.com

Top Selling

SHAWN SMITH - The Diamond Hand CD
    SHAWN SMITH - FOUR CD BUNDLE!!
    SHAWN SMITH - Live at The Point CD
    SHAWN SMITH - Shield of Thorns Reissue CD
    SHAWN SMITH - TWO CD BUNDLE
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    This thread was posted on a public forum; of course people will comment.

(and..."merciless beating"? C'mon...the post(s) of hers on the page sounded sketchy but most everyone here has wished Shawn well.)
  • Options
    or whatever...
  • Options
    Tiki said:

or whatever...

:how_interesting:
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    the direct message to XLF used the term "taking a beating".
    I just dressed it up with the word "merciless" (a great underutilized word IMHO) just to make everyone in heres eyebrows perk up
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Tiki said:

Before the campaign ended, as a complete stranger, I messaged XLF directly through the GFM page and flat out told her she was taking a merciless beating in here...in this particular thread, on this particular page.

She's genuinely concerned about her friend Shawn and couldn't give less of a shit as to what you think about it.

If you're interest is peaked, and I know that it is, instead of questioning her and her intentions in public, maybe you should buy a few of Shawn's releases or his CDs, That's on my agenda today. I'm also going to listen to Interiors .

Top Selling

Just because people were questioning the manner in which the posts were written, the disjointedness of the writing, I don't recall seeing anything MERCILESS or stating that anyone thought that she had unsavory intentions with the monies being collected. People held back because of a number of reasons up to and including that sometimes GFM can be a weird thing. Hopefully you kindly sent her screen shots of the actual conversations being had here as opposed to making us all look like a bunch of uncaring asses.

There was never a question of financial struggle. Different people discussed different financial struggles and different people suffering. We are a mixed pot of personalities and opinions and just as the band does, we speak our minds. That's okay.

Xana's intentions are unquestionably pure of heart, but seemingly bashing the band within the text of the original request is what turned me off. I don't know the interactions between the band, Xana and Shawn. I don't need to know. It is good to have good people do good things for good people. Don't bite the hand that you request feed you, though. Just sayin'.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    like the same beating she is giving stoney over on the gofundme page?

:how_interesting:

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,797
    This is a grease fire
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736

If he would hand write a lyric sheet and sign it is send him $ though .... Not sure why people don't do more stuff like that

Same here. Or gear he doesn't need anymore. Picks. Etc.
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Washed said:

Same here. Or gear he doesn't need anymore. Picks. Etc.
    wasn't Dave A selling off his old equipment several months ago to pay for his court fees?
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    Tiki said:

Top Selling

Kudos to you for contacting her directly. A few questions.... In your message to her, did you mention that some of us are concerned for Shawn? Not all of us are on FB or were aware of this gofundme project. Speaking for myself, this is where I heard anything about him having difficulties. Would it be fair to say that based on the messages of hers that were re-posted here, that people had some genuine questions and were just looking for clarity (is he sick? is he homeless? what's happening?)? Did you also happen to mention that some people, because of their uneasiness with the gofundme project decided to help by directly buying his music? Or did you just merciless bash those of us who posted here?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    Live at the Point is stunning - highly recommend to anyone who likes music.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

Tiki said:

Top Selling

Kudos to you for contacting her directly. A few questions.... In your message to her, did you mention that some of us are concerned for Shawn? Not all of us are on FB or were aware of this gofundme project. Speaking for myself, this is where I heard anything about him having difficulties. Would it be fair to say that based on the messages of hers that were re-posted here, that people had some genuine questions and were just looking for clarity (is he sick? is he homeless? what's happening?)? Did you also happen to mention that some people, because of their uneasiness with the gofundme project decided to help by directly buying his music? Or did you just merciless bash those of us who posted here?
    I'm not on Facebook, so this was the first I've heard of this situation and GFM campaign as well.

The message to XLF was a quick heads up to this discussion. I didn't bash anyone or quote any of the sounds shady or is this a scam or get too deep into he said, she said.

The response I got gave me the impression that she's wasn't really interested in feeding into the negativity that's swirling around this. However, she probably did, for just a second, and that's why the GFM page is gone now.
    OR
    someone reported it as a scam.

Did I tell her it wasn't all negative and that some of us are concerned? no.
    Is that how you read this thread?

• Options
    Tiki said:

SD48277 said:

Tiki said:

Top Selling

I'm not on Facebook, so this was the first I've heard of this situation and GFM campaign as well.

The message to XLF was a quick heads up to this discussion. I didn't bash anyone or quote any of the sounds shady or is this a scam or get too deep into he said, she said.

The response I got gave me the impression that she's wasn't really interested in feeding into the negativity that's swirling around this. However, she probably did, for just a second, and that's why the GFM page is gone now.
    OR

But you did say "taking a (merciless) beating". Bit different than a heads-up and yeah, kind of a bash on those who posted here.

Maybe the page is gone because $12K was raised (double than the goal). He should be good for awhile.

Also, I read this thread as non-negative toward the issue but leery of how it was presented - and then changed. And now gone.
  • Options

XLF wasn't bashed in here? Trying to help a brother out.

I try not to say anything in here or in the internet in general that I wouldn't say in real life.
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,451
    The problems were evident with the GFM page.
    Whoever wants to ignore them, and give money blindly, go right ahead.
    I didn't like calling out Stone, the band, and Pearl Jam Management publicly.
    That's personal, and I'm sure she could have gotten a message to PJ without doing that.
  • Options
    Questioned, yes.

Bashed, no.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    my2hands said:

so he is healthy and has a roof over his head... why are people sending him money? he cant access social services and health insurance? I have no problem helping out a fellow human, but this is ridiculous in my opinion for people just to send money... I like the idea of buying his music, I think that is a much better idea... or maybe he can get a job like the rest of the world maybe?

just because a musician is down on his luck a little doesn't mean people should just send $ to some gofundme account... how about the millions of regular folks out there struggling to get by? i'm sure there of plenty people right on this board that could use a gofundme account to help them get by... there are kids eating out of garbage dumps and i'm supposed to send money to a Seattle musician in good health?

I hope everything works out, but i'm worried about paying my own bills

This
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    And also, has anyone even confirmed its really Xana?
    And has Shawn contacted anyone that he is actually in trouble financially?
  • Options
    Tiki said:

SD48277 said:

Tiki said:

Top Selling

OR

I read this thread as some people concerned and confused as to what was going on. Getting clarity on the situation is not a bad thing. I understand she was trying to help a friend out, but her wording was unclear. I don't think it's wrong for people to ask questions. I don't know what you said in your message to her (other than what you have mentioned here), but it might have helped to not feed into the negativity if you had mentioned that people here are concerned. Regardless, it sounds as if a good amount of money was raised for him.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I said nothing else to XLF besides this is happening here .
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    Tiki said:

Why bother? Now that the page is gone...
  • Options
    Spoken said:

Tiki said:

Why bother? Now that the page is gone...
    I believe he messaged her before the page was taken down.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Tiki said:

Why do people edit their posts all the time it's annoying, I'm not the only one who sees this