Comments

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Just my two cents.....
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,025
    edited July 2016
    yes...before it was gone

Don't get me wrong, I don't know XLF and I did not contribute to the GFM. It looks as though she wanted to help out a friend, and, god love her, she took steps to make it happen. I don't think I'm in any position to judge her, or her writing style other than not participating in the GFM campaign.

Times can be tough. It's hard to be a successful anything, let alone a successful rock musician. I'm glad I heard about this. I really like SS's vocals on the Brad CDs I have, and I think that actually buying his music is a better way to go about supporting him, BUT I wouldn't have known about any of this without this discussion.
    JWPearl said:

Tiki said:

I said nothing else to XLF besides this is happening here .

Why do people edit their posts all the time it's annoying, I'm not the only one who sees this
    I edit because I can. (and because I am annoying.) :)
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,797
    edited July 2016
    Nothing wrong with editing. There are some people (ahem!) here who should likely edit their crazy ass posts about nothing.
    Perhaps he caught a typo...perhaps he re-thought the issue and wanted to change it. Perhaps emotion got the best and editing after was called for.
    Who gives a crap?
    Damn.

I'm going to edit this just to edit this.

https://youtu.be/EQnaRtNMGMI

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited July 2016
    Tiki said:

If you're interest is peaked, and I know that it is, instead of questioning her and her intentions in public, maybe you should buy a few of Shawn's releases or his CDs, That's on my agenda today. I'm also going to listen to Interiors .

https://shawnsmith.bandcamp.com
    over at http://www.soundvssilence.bigcartel.com

Top Selling

SHAWN SMITH - The Diamond Hand CD
    SHAWN SMITH - FOUR CD BUNDLE!!
    SHAWN SMITH - Live at The Point CD
    SHAWN SMITH - Shield of Thorns Reissue CD
    SHAWN SMITH - TWO CD BUNDLE

I with you, Tiki! Can't get enough of Shawn's music. People need to put the personal stuff toward Xena aside. The campaign is apparently over, so no point in continuing to worry about it or Xena. But there are always opportunities to support our favorite artists, or to discover new music by purchasing their products.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424
    I've been wanting to pick up some Brad albums on vinyl.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,079
    edited July 2016
    Tiki said:

I said nothing else to XLF besides this is happening here .

from what she wrote on the updates, it didn't exactly scream "I wish to help this person".
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,024

I only saw CDs over there. Not sure where to get Shawn Smith or Brad vinyl
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited July 2016
    LukinFan said:

http://www.soundvssilence.bigcartel.com/category/vinyl

Looks like they have two Brad albums on vinyl currently. Welcome to Discovery Park and United We Stand. They are $19 each.

Also, MerchNow has 4 Brad records - Welcome to Discovery Park, United We Stand, Shame, and Interiors. $20 each.
    http://brad.merchnow.com/products/bycode?code=LP
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,024
    jeffbr said:

LukinFan said:

http://www.soundvssilence.bigcartel.com/category/vinyl

Looks like they have two Brad albums on vinyl currently. Welcome to Discovery Park and United We Stand. They are $19 each.

Also, MerchNow has 4 Brad records - Welcome to Discovery Park, United We Stand, Shame, and Interiors. $20 each.
    http://brad.merchnow.com/products/bycode?code=LP
    All $20 - very nice. I bet Shame sounds incredible on vinyl
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,723
    @ KEXP

Seattle's own Shawn Smith needs our help, plus new music from PJ Harvey, Preoccupations, and MORE Music News on the KEXP Blog: http://ow.ly/fnx9302dFCW

http://blog.kexp.org/2016/07/13/wednesday-music-news-221/

7/14 update: The GoFundMe has since been removed. Soulful singer/songwriter Shawn Smith has come across bad times. The vocalist for Pigeonhed, Brad, and Satchel, to name a few, is currently “homeless” (i.e. he has temporary housing, but friends aren’t sure how long that will last). A longtime friend of Smith’s has set up a GoFundme account to help the talented musician get back on his feet. Read more about it, and make a gift, here. And watch a stunning solo performance from Smith below, filmed during KEXP’s Soul Day back in May. [The Stranger]
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    demetrios said:

@ KEXP

Seattle's own Shawn Smith needs our help, plus new music from PJ Harvey, Preoccupations, and MORE Music News on the KEXP Blog: http://ow.ly/fnx9302dFCW

http://blog.kexp.org/2016/07/13/wednesday-music-news-221/

7/14 update: The GoFundMe has since been removed. Soulful singer/songwriter Shawn Smith has come across bad times. The vocalist for Pigeonhed, Brad, and Satchel, to name a few, is currently “homeless” (i.e. he has temporary housing, but friends aren’t sure how long that will last). A longtime friend of Smith’s has set up a GoFundme account to help the talented musician get back on his feet. Read more about it, and make a gift, here. And watch a stunning solo performance from Smith below, filmed during KEXP’s Soul Day back in May. [The Stranger]

Makes no sense to say the page is gone but link it later in the paragraph. Silly interns.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

@ Shawn Smith

I've been trying to write a response to the gofundme campaign story which was grossly exaggerated. Once I found out it was happening it had gone too far and I was not sure how to stop it graciously.
    The reality,
    I'm 50 years old. I don't even know where to begin to start a new job or career. It's been frightening not knowing how to proceed. I've never been good at regular jobs. My experience is convenience store clerk, Pizza Hut, flipping burgers in the mall food court and door guy.
    I want to do my real job, writing songs,
    performing them, placing them in movies and tv but it's been very difficult the last few years. Although due to this campaign I have new leads and insights.
    Yes, I need the help but I am not sick and the financial position I've been in was of my own making.
    The story in the gofundme campaign painted me as a victim which I am not.
    Although lord knows I act like one sometimes.
    I feel that I cannot accept the donations unless I communicate the truth of the situation.
    I'm offering refunds for anyone who feels they need one based on what I have said here. PM me.
    I am humbled and very grateful for all the love and support.
    Love,
    Shawn Smith
  • Options
    demetrios said:

@ Shawn Smith

I've been trying to write a response to the gofundme campaign story which was grossly exaggerated. Once I found out it was happening it had gone too far and I was not sure how to stop it graciously.
    The reality,
    I'm 50 years old. I don't even know where to begin to start a new job or career. It's been frightening not knowing how to proceed. I've never been good at regular jobs. My experience is convenience store clerk, Pizza Hut, flipping burgers in the mall food court and door guy.
    I want to do my real job, writing songs,
    performing them, placing them in movies and tv but it's been very difficult the last few years. Although due to this campaign I have new leads and insights.
    Yes, I need the help but I am not sick and the financial position I've been in was of my own making.
    The story in the gofundme campaign painted me as a victim which I am not.
    Although lord knows I act like one sometimes.
    I feel that I cannot accept the donations unless I communicate the truth of the situation.
    I'm offering refunds for anyone who feels they need one based on what I have said here. PM me.
    I am humbled and very grateful for all the love and support.
    Love,
    Shawn Smith
    Glad he spoke up.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Thank you for posting this.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    deadendp said:

From here too.

Now HE is a class act.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

deadendp said:

From here too.

Now HE is a class act.
    Agreed, Hedo. Xana had good intentions. I appreciate his incredible truthfulness.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    Poor guy. Who the hell wants their finances thrown out to millions of people? He's going to get some cash but she had no right.

Ps....Wrapped in My Memory is one of the greatest songs ever written.
  • Options
    deadendp said:

No problemo.

I donated. Totally will not be asking for a refund.
  • Options
    demetrios said:

deadendp said:

No problemo.

I donated. Totally will not be asking for a refund.
    I don't blame you. I just appreciate him coming forward to clarify what is going on.
  • Options
    some people have some boundary issues, perhaps that's what happened here.

the thing I'll take away from this is that you have to let people know you appreciate them while you have the opportunity, every time you have the opportunity.
  • Options
    Tiki said:

the thing I'll take away from this is that you have to let people know you appreciate them while you have the opportunity, every time you have the opportunity.

Great point, Tiki.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    Thank you for the update, Demetrios!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,797
    Tiki said:

:clap:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
  • Options
    go buy the record yo
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    deadendp said:

+1

It's good to hear what's going on now and that Shawn is doing well health-wise and not in dire straits. I wish I was in the TV or movie industry, but since I'm not, the extent of my help will have to be from buying his music from legitimate retailers so that he'll get some royalties at least.
  • Options
  • Options
    courtmcccourtmcc South Jersey Posts: 1,143
    That's just Xana. She is always trying to help people out.. even though when she needs it the most they don't help her. She is a good friend of mine and had good intentions but should have asked him for permission before making the campaign.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,607
    courtmcc said:

That's just Xana. She is always trying to help people out.. even though when she needs it the most they don't help her. She is a good friend of mine and had good intentions but should have asked him for permission before making the campaign.

That's the way I saw it as well. She's a good person.
  • Options
    courtmcc said:

...this seems super accurate.