Options

BLM a terrorist organization??

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637

PJPOWER said:
    There's much truth in this piece that some on here simply will not accept.

There's definitely a societal problem, but these riots are merely excuses to act like f**king idiots- thugs is the more appropriate term, but I didn't want to use it lest some MT members spit their chai latte all over their trimmed beard and fashionable clothing which they have managed to buy with their privileged spot in society.
    I didn't click it, but what's the truth people won't accept?

And also you hit two prejudices in one paragragh: one with the thug usage, and one about a person who might see that as a prejudicial remark. Not bad.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

PJPOWER said:

There's definitely a societal problem, but these riots are merely excuses to act like f**king idiots- thugs is the more appropriate term, but I didn't want to use it lest some MT members spit their chai latte all over their trimmed beard and fashionable clothing which they have managed to buy with their privileged spot in society.

And also you hit two prejudices in one paragragh: one with the thug usage, and one about a person who might see that as a prejudicial remark. Not bad.
    The truth that some of you won't accept is that these guys aren't protesters. They aren't looking to right societal wrongs. They are thugs, who happen to be black. They aren't thugs because they're black. There's a difference that you are unwilling or unable to understand. They are thugs because of their actions. Perhaps you should watch. It's short. What they are doing is reinforcing racist beliefs that some have, alienating others who might once have been sympathetic, and making it harder to repair relations going forward for those actually working toward change..
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    I can totally accept that there's guys there just to raise hell. Just like the "thugs" during the WTO protests. You did call those white guys thugs back then, didn't you?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Not sure if I called the WTO "protesters" thugs on the boards or not, but I did in conversations. Those fucking black hoodied anarchist idiots from Eugene that come up here to break shit and cause trouble are absolutely thugs.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

I can totally accept that there's guys there just to raise hell. Just like the "thugs" during the WTO protests. You did call those white guys thugs back then, didn't you?

Thugs are thugs regardless of color
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

Not sure if I called the WTO "protesters" thugs on the boards or not, but I did in conversations. Those fucking black hoodied anarchist idiots from Eugene that come up here to break shit and cause trouble are absolutely thugs.

I lived in Eugene at the time. That was an interesting period of a lot of activity. Rarely, if ever, do I recall the term thug being used. And there was a lot of protesting going on at a local level, too. Like you said, anarchist was common.
  • Options

Now start paying attention to when it's used.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yeah that is not some truth that the non-existent AMT hipsters won't accept. Quite the opposite, people who see degrees of validity in the BLM position are eager to accept that it isn't people seeking social justice that are out there acting foolish, it is simply rabble-rousing losers who adopt or align with the grievances posed.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

Are you implying that the word "thugs" are used more with blacks because they exhibit thug behavior more than another race??
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

Thanks for making my Chai latte shoot out my nose!

:lol:
  • Options

Are you implying that the word "thugs" are used more with blacks because they exhibit thug behavior more than another race??
    Nice try. It's a word with negative connotations that's almost used exclusively for blacks and way way less frequently for whites who do the same thing. The new N word.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited September 2016

Nice try. It's a word with negative connotations that's almost used exclusively for blacks and way way less frequently for whites who do the same thing. The new N word.
    You're wasting your time. Seriously, I've been bringing this up for a few years now. It really gets the new PC police upset. It's only a few here who use it in a racist way anyways, we know who they are. If others want to throw their lot in with them, let them.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options

It's your opinion and I respect that but when you have rappers glorifying the thug life and using the word thug in several songs, hard to see how it's anyone else's blame. I see it used more by blacks than any other race.
  • Options

It's your opinion and I respect that but when you have rappers glorifying the thug life and using the word thug in several songs, hard to see how it's anyone else's blame. I see it used more by blacks than any other race.

The same could be said for the old N word.
  • Options
    And that brings us back to context of the who is saying what and why.
  • Options

And that brings us back to context of the who is saying what and why.

Seems like you try to find any reason you can to try to make something or someone racist. From the context of your posts
  • Options
    Not any reason. I find language usage interesting in how it carries meaning. Internet forums allow me to talk with people that I don't always have face to face contact with, since we all tend to hang out with people more like ourselves.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I personally prefer to call people that act in the manner of the violent BLM rioters "asshats" or "stupid fucks", but that's just a personal preference and those terms are racially universal.
  • Options
    I think everyone of sound mind can agree that the suggestion of the thread title is ridiculous.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

I personally prefer to call people that act in the manner of the violent BLM rioters "asshats" or "stupid fucks", but that's just a personal preference and those terms are racially universal.

Exactly! Either describe the behavior or use labels that apply to all. Assh**es!
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

'Prejudices' in your mind the way you see things. Right?

Yah. No.

(except for the really chill hipster descript... I'll admit to that one)
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

Yah. No.

Yeah, yes. There's a reason the term thug is used for someone after certain criteria is met, otherwise people would use the universal 'criminal'.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited September 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Thirty Bills, your first paragraph outlines the prejudice, and your second one makes excuses to maintain a certain status quo, and your third one is taking away from the topic at hand, which is police abuse by way of prejudice. Taking the thought of how blacks are arrested for crimes at a higher rate is the root of the prejudice belief that blacks are more prone to violence and crime. This belief is the main starting point for police abusing their power. Under stress, this belief will be more likely to surface and change behaviors, e.g. a white person reaching into their jacket is getting their I.D., and black person reaching into their jacket is getting their gun. The fact that there is no correlation between crime rates in urban areas vs. the rate unarmed blacks get shot by cops reveals that some police departments do a good job with hiring and training in this area so that the individual is more aware of how to not let prejudice factor into the interactions, and other do a bad job in this area and let it fester and grow. Police discrimination is not just an urban issue. It happens in smaller towns and rural areas as well. The black guy on my street is no more prone to illegal behavior than I am, but people think that he is.

No.

I could comment about much of this, but I'll try and limit myself to your claim that my second paragraph is an excuse to maintain the status quo. Give me a f**kibg break.

I spoke to it earlier: the impoverished will remain impoverished until the well offs (I believe I said you were one of these) are prepared to share (more taxes). I spoke to improving social programming in meaningful fashion so that there is hope for people born to poverty. Christ man... inner city kids don't even know what it's like to eat fresh food periodically (given the lack of markets vs fast food chains).

You speak to better training for law enforcement. Well pshew! Maybe... just maybe... that might result in fewer young black men getting shot when they didn't need to be. It doesn't fix the bigger problem though.

Of course, the aforementioned means very little if you are telling me- correctly so- that there is an equitable balance of whites and blacks in America's inner cities. I'm under the impression your country's worst neighbourhoods are reserved for your black population.

Get to the underlying issues and then the point of the problem disappears (in my mind).

Blacks, whites, purples... makes no difference given an equal playing field.
    This made me think of a training that I went to a while back; "The Culture of Poverty". It's very hard for someone born into poverty to escape that culture. That's not to say that there are not those that are very successful at breaking the poverty strings that hold others down. It's the mindset of "My parents worked at McDonalds, so I am going to work there too". Not only that, but many families that see a family member becoming successful will intentionally or unintentionally try to sabotage that success based on the fear of being left behind or not being important to that successful person anymore. This may manifest by guilting the successful person for leaving their "values" or heritage behind or by them "disowning" them because they have different financial, moral, or world views. It's not as simple as giving them more money. Escaping poverty often requires individuals to "divorce" those irresponsible people that keep trying to drag them back in...which can be pretty difficult when the underlying relationships are nurturing or loving ones. This can be seen in inner-city neighborhoods, rural low income farming communities, 3rd world countries... When approaching and educating impoverished communities, you must keep in the back of your mind that plenty of them have no interest in change because change=inconsistency, and consistency to an impoverished person is like gold. After school programs that take children beyond the confides of their known worlds are helpful, but there is no switch that you can flick to make a person want to leave loved ones behind, even if those loved ones are sucking the life blood out of them. To change a culture, you must disrupt it. How can these cultures be disrupted to the point that drives people to decide to say "fuck this place, I'm finding something better" in a non-violent, humane way?
    Maybe BLM should put their effort into these things instead of standing out in the middle of highways and enticing riots...although burning down these communities may actually be a pretty effective strategy...I kid, I kid.
    Are you saying that cops would stop shooting unarmed blacks and respect their rights if they would break the cycle of poverty?
    I'm saying that the cops are not the main ones killing unarmed blacks. Are you saying that BLM blocking roadways and burning towns is going to stop cops shooting unarmed black people and respect their rights?
    It can initiate change within particular police departments, similar to how other departments have changed.
    One must admit that race riots in the 60s certainly did stimulate social change. There is a real reason to think that crazy protests and riots can serve a purpose when it comes to fighting for civil rights or against civil injustices.... I don't support violent protest at all, but I have to admit that there is a precedent here.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

Yah. No.

Yeah, yes. There's a reason the term thug is used for someone after certain criteria is met, otherwise people would use the universal 'criminal'.
    No you're wrong.

Vancouver rioters were called thugs. There was nary a black person among them.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I think everyone of sound mind can agree that the suggestion of the thread title is ridiculous.

Explain please
  • Options

rgambs said:

Explain please
    The idea that BLM is a terrorist organization is ridiculous.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited September 2016

PJPOWER said:

Yah. No.

No you're wrong.

I gather it's not the same or comparable just because there are hardly any black people in Vancouver or most of the rest of Canada outside of Toronto, and there is no big racist problem in general. This whole thug thing just isn't relevant north of the border. Apparently the word has a lot of context in the USA alone. Which makes a lot of sense. Why would it have such strong racial overtones in a place where none of the issues or factors that created the racism exist?

Yes, here, in Canada, thugs are still just any random asshole, whatever the colour of their skin, who are acting like aggressive, destructive, criminal, and/or violent dicks for no good reason (and 99.9% or the time they're guys, obvi).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Yah. No.

No you're wrong.

I gather it's not the same or comparable just because there are hardly any black people in Vancouver or most of the rest of Canada outside of Toronto, and there is no big racist problem in general. This whole thug thing just isn't relevant north of the border. Apparently the word has a lot of context in the USA alone. Which makes a lot of sense. Why would it have such strong racial overtones in a place where none of the issues or factors that created the racism exist?

Yes, here, in Canada, thugs are still just any random asshole, whatever the colour of their skin, who are acting like aggressive, destructive, criminal, and/or violent dicks for no good reason (and 99.9% or the time they're guys, obvi).
    Because idiots assert that the word has a special meaning in their world and try to convince others the same.

A thug is a thug whether they are black, white, red, or lavender. The word is not discerning: it is bestowed upon anyone who acts like one.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Yah. No.

No you're wrong.

Because idiots assert that the word has a special meaning in their world and try to convince others the same.

A thug is a thug whether they are black, white, red, or lavender. The word is not discerning: it is bestowed upon anyone who acts like one.
    I think it does carry different meaning outside of the US. I'll do some AMT browsing and get back to you.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

Yah. No.

No you're wrong.

You sure are on a roll tonight. Calling us idiots is uncalled for. I'm done "debating" with you tonight. You are all kinds of nasty, you should take a break.