BLM a terrorist organization??

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rgambs said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

saw a bumper sticker on sunday that said "Danger: Educated Black Woman"

so my gf points out that if she had a bumper sticker that said "Danger: Educated White Woman" the shit would hit the fan... she is far from racist... and she is 100% correct...

i understand the historical context and one time need for things like BET or affirmative rights, but it is time to get rid of the double standard... black people do not need special treatment or their hand held... you should get the job or into the university because you are qualified, not because of a quota... we will never make true long term progress until then

There's probably another term for your gf not understanding the difference between the two bumper stickers. It's understandable that people, mostly whites, want to minimize racism as it exists today and blame racial tension on steps taken to create more equality.
    I would argue that once a black Harvard graduate named Barack Hussein Obama was elected president, twice, that equality has been generally reached and there is no need for special treatment... at this point the public is more than willing to elect and support black people to be the leaders of the free world... secretary of state... attorney general... supreme court justice... etc... etc... etc...

this isn't 1960 anymore, feel free to lay down your white guilt folks... you are not the evil scourge of the world that some like to paint you as... teach peace, teach tolerance, but please stop teaching that we are different and need different treatment... that's not helping anybody
    You clearly do not know any black people on a personal level or you would not hold that opinion.
    The treatment they receive still.to this day would probably shock you if you were exposed to it in real life, and not just through the internet.
    Actually I happen to know black people, imagine that... I work with black people... I'm friends with black people... and guess what, they mostly agree with me... my career has had me closer to the front lines of this issue than you might think... in the inner city... working with at-risk adolescents... my office is currently in Wilmington Delaware, you know that little east coast city Newsweek dubbed "Murdertown USA" last year... i've had 3 people shot in the last month directly across the street from my building... i've worked with the criminal justice system for almost 15 years... i know people that have committed murder, I know people that have been killed... I know police, black & white... I know other law enforcement officers of various degrees, one of which I love dearly... I know lawyers, black & white...I know judges, black & white...

So I think im plenty qualified to have this conversation and form my own opinion

What's your experience on this subject, googling and posting on a message board?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

saw a bumper sticker on sunday that said "Danger: Educated Black Woman"

so my gf points out that if she had a bumper sticker that said "Danger: Educated White Woman" the shit would hit the fan... she is far from racist... and she is 100% correct...

i understand the historical context and one time need for things like BET or affirmative rights, but it is time to get rid of the double standard... black people do not need special treatment or their hand held... you should get the job or into the university because you are qualified, not because of a quota... we will never make true long term progress until then

There's probably another term for your gf not understanding the difference between the two bumper stickers. It's understandable that people, mostly whites, want to minimize racism as it exists today and blame racial tension on steps taken to create more equality.
    I would argue that once a black Harvard graduate named Barack Hussein Obama was elected president, twice, that equality has been generally reached and there is no need for special treatment... at this point the public is more than willing to elect and support black people to be the leaders of the free world... secretary of state... attorney general... supreme court justice... etc... etc... etc...

this isn't 1960 anymore, feel free to lay down your white guilt folks... you are not the evil scourge of the world that some like to paint you as... teach peace, teach tolerance, but please stop teaching that we are different and need different treatment... that's not helping anybody
    You clearly do not know any black people on a personal level or you would not hold that opinion.
    The treatment they receive still.to this day would probably shock you if you were exposed to it in real life, and not just through the internet.
    Actually I happen to know black people, imagine that... I work with black people... I'm friends with black people... and guess what, they mostly agree with me... my career has had me closer to the front lines of this issue than you might think... in the inner city... working with at-risk adolescents... my office is currently in Wilmington Delaware, you know that little east coast city Newsweek dubbed "Murdertown USA" last year... i've had 3 people shot in the last month directly across the street from my building... i've worked with the criminal justice system for almost 15 years... i know people that have committed murder, I know people that have been killed... I know police, black & white... I know other law enforcement officers of various degrees, one of which I love dearly... I know lawyers, black & white...I know judges, black & white...

So I think im plenty qualified to have this conversation and form my own opinion

What's your experience on this subject, googling and posting on a message board?
    I dont know what to say, I guess you live in an alternate universe.
    My buddy James could barely drive across town without getting pulled over, and he never ever offered to drive when our crew was out, for good reason. That was among the least of his troubles, but I guess since we have a black president none of that matters at all.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Lifted said:

my2hands said:

Lifted said:

And yes, whether you agree with the tactics of the BLM movement or not, responding with all lives matter is racist, or at the very least, a very ignorant thing to say.

please tell me how #AllLivesMatter is racist my friend?
    Maybe not technically racist on it's own, but just about every racist I've heard speaking on BLM has used that line, and I don't think it's coincidental. It's an extremely condescending and dismissive thing to say. It's a suggestion that the American experience is equal across racial lines, which is factually untrue, and especially insulting when suggested by white people.

I think it's one thing to not support BLM as an organization, and there are a number of reasonable reasons someone might feel that way...but saying all lives matter, and blue lives matter is some passive aggressive bullshit and you know it.
    No. Shoving it on other coloured faces as truth is passive aggressive.
    BLM has a passive agressive racist title.

Any other colour movement would not be given a free pass to march around the streets and you know it.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Cool, you had a buddy names James... lol

I'm outta here
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I'm outta here

Yep, and he was treated like the POTUS so all is cool, equality is reached and the struggle is over just like you said.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    eddiec said:

Ah, come on. You really think it's the same set of rules. Some kid in the ghetto vs, some white kid in suburbia. There are many factors in play- Ability to hire lawyers, character witnesses, etc.

White or black and not wealthy enough to have money for a good attorney, your going to get the same sentence/treatment from the judge here in FL.

I've seen blacks skate charges because they have the money for a good attorney on charges where whites didn't have the money for a good attorney and went to prison.

So, yes, IMO, it's BS.
  • Options
    Lifted said:

Not B.S. It's statistically accurate.

Don't tell that to the retired judge that lives three doors down from me. He didn't give a shit what color or who you were. Everyone got the same treatment. His nickname was the "hanging" judge. You didn't want him being the judge hearing your case. I was in his court room back in the early 90's with a friend. Every person there who violated probation got the same thing, one year in house arrest, including my friend.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,649
    EM194007 said:

Lifted said:

Don't tell that to the retired judge that lives three doors down from me. He didn't give a shit what color or who you were. Everyone got the same treatment. His nickname was the "hanging" judge. You didn't want him being the judge hearing your case. I was in his court room back in the early 90's with a friend. Every person there who violated probation got the same thing, one year in house arrest, including my friend.
    Cool story. Anecdotal evidence.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited July 2016
    EM194007 said:

eddiec said:

Ah, come on. You really think it's the same set of rules. Some kid in the ghetto vs, some white kid in suburbia. There are many factors in play- Ability to hire lawyers, character witnesses, etc.

White or black and not wealthy enough to have money for a good attorney, your going to get the same sentence/treatment from the judge here in FL.

I've seen blacks skate charges because they have the money for a good attorney on charges where whites didn't have the money for a good attorney and went to prison.

So, yes, IMO, it's BS.
    Okay. Well here's an article from the Washington Post which negates your opinion.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/06/04/the-blackwhite-marijuana-arrest-gap-in-nine-charts/
    It highlights the arrest rates of blacks vs whites.
  • Options
    Lifted said:

Please disprove what I said with statistics from FL, or it's just more BS.

• Options
    eddiec said:

EM194007 said:

eddiec said:

So, yes, IMO, it's BS.
    Okay. Well here's an article from the Washington Post which negates your opinion.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/06/04/the-blackwhite-marijuana-arrest-gap-in-nine-charts/
    :rofl: The Washington Post, can you get any more left leaning one sided then them?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    EM194007 said:

eddiec said:

EM194007 said:

eddiec said:

So, yes, IMO, it's BS.
    :rofl: The Washington Post, can you get any more left leaning one sided then them?
    Hahahaha yeah, you can. To the people who dont live on the extreme margins, they are center to center-left.
    Are you contesting the data, or are you just dismissing it because it doesn't fit your narrative?
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

Lifted said:

Please disprove what I said with statistics from FL, or it's just more BS.

The sentencing project documents racial disparities for drug crimes by state. Not sure why you're making this about Florida, but that is one of the worst states. Blacks were 440% more likely to be incarcerated for drug crimes than whites for the 2005 database. This is just findings from one organization based on actual statistics. Not some guy you knew down the street. The evidence of racial discrimination in the criminal justice system is astounding. You choose not to believe it. It's like people who deny human involvement in climate change.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

my2hands said:

I'm outta here

Yep, and he was treated like the POTUS so all is cool, equality is reached and the struggle is over just like you said.
    Me and my mostly white friends were constantly harassed by the police when we were young... some got arrested... some went to jail...

A black person born in 1978 had the same exact opportunities I was given... your buddy James had the same opportunities you were given... actually, they had an advantage due to affirmative action and could get into better schools with poorer performance if they chose to do so... but anyway... the example I give about Obama is a simple and factual example that there is no glass ceiling for blacks in this country anymore and no large scale institutional racism... he worked his ass off and achieved greatness...

Is the world perfect? No... are there still assholes in the world? Yes...

Is there a conspiracy to oppress, target, and kill black people like BLM would like you to believe? Absolutely 100% NOT

Let go of the white guilt and realize that the systemic institutional racism of our grandparents generation is long gone...

True story...

I witnessed a black judge ask a truant black teen "didn't he realize people died for the right for him to go to school?" The kids stoneface response, "I don't care".... so where did he learn that? Did the oppressive law enforcement system teach him that? Did "whitey" teach him that? Or do we think this young man's family fucked up along the way? If he even had an intact family, because the cases of absentee father's is RAMPANT in the black community... more young black kids live with aunts and grandparents then their fathers... his response and lack of valuing an education didn't come from anywhere but his own home...

Personal responsibility folks... if I didn't graduate high school that would have been me and my families fault, nobody elses... if I was a convicted felon, that would be my fault and nobody elses...

And if you feel strongly enough about this stuff I advise people to quit their jobs, stop working for some corporations profit, change their career, and come help out because it is very much needed in all communities... we need teachers, we need police, we need social services, we need a whole lot more that white people talking about black people being oppressed on a message board
  • Options
    my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

I'm outta here

Me and my mostly white friends were constantly harassed by the police when we were young... some got arrested... some went to jail...

A black person born in 1978 had the same exact opportunities I was given... your buddy James had the same opportunities you were given... actually, they had an advantage due to affirmative action and could get into better schools with poorer performance if they chose to do so... but anyway... the example I give about Obama is a simple and factual example that there is no glass ceiling for blacks in this country anymore and no large scale institutional racism... he worked his ass off and achieved greatness...

Is there a conspiracy to oppress, target, and kill black people like BLM would like you to believe? Absolutely 100% NOT

Let go of the white guilt and realize that the systemic institutional racism of our grandparents generation is long gone...

True story...

I witnessed a black judge ask a truant black teen "didn't he realize people died for the right for him to go to school?" The kids stoneface response, "I don't care".... so where did he learn that? Did the oppressive law enforcement system teach him that? Did "whitey" teach him that? Or do we think this young man's family fucked up along the way? If he even had an intact family, because the cases of absentee father's is RAMPANT in the black community... more young black kids live with aunts and grandparents then their fathers... his response and lack of valuing an education didn't come from anywhere but his own home...

Personal responsibility folks... if I didn't graduate high school that would have been me and my families fault, nobody elses... if I was a convicted felon, that would be my fault and nobody elses...

And if you feel strongly enough about this stuff I advise people to quit their jobs, stop working for some corporations profit, change their career, and come help out because it is very much needed in all communities... we need teachers, we need police, we need social services, we need a whole lot more that white people talking about black people being oppressed on a message board
    You are basing your views off personal experience within your own small section of the world, while neglecting to acknowledge the overwhelming evidence that suggests you are wrong. If you happen to be right, which you are not, the reality of racial disparities in the country would suggest that black people are inferior to the rest of us. That's a sad way to feel, and it's not only racist, but it would actually justify racism. How you do not see this is beyond me.
  • Options
    Lifted said:

EM194007 said:

Lifted said:

How come you never said this in response to RG's comment about his black friend James getting pulled over every time he drove somewhere (I'm thinking he must be the only black guy in town)?

Maybe it fit your narrative so you accepted it at face value for having much merit, but this bit didn't so you easily dismissed it?

Don't get in the practice of hearing only what you want to hear. Be better than that.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Lifted said:

EM194007 said:

Lifted said:

How come you never said this in response to RG's comment about his black friend James getting pulled over every time he drove somewhere (I'm thinking he must be the only black guy in town)?

Maybe it fit your narrative so you accepted it at face value for having much merit, but this bit didn't so you easily dismissed it?

Don't get in the practice of hearing only what you want to hear. Be better than that.
    Just for the record, yeah he was lol.

Everyone's experiences are anecdotal, they inform our lives, but they need to be judged in the context of the larger picture, with as much data as possible added in.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Lifted said:

EM194007 said:

Lifted said:

I didnt even respond to that post. I dont need to respond to everything, but since you called me out...yes, you're right, both stories are anecdotal. I don't know what you're trying to say by suggesting it fits my 'narrative' though. That's a silly way to put it. It does fit the fact of reality that blacks are more likely to be stopped by the police though.

Furthermore, it seems like every refutation of systematic racial descrimination is based on anectodal evidence which is contradicted by statistical analysis. It's complete denial of reality.

Post edited by Lifted on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Lifted said:

EM194007 said:

Lifted said:

Just for the record, yeah he was lol.

Everyone's experiences are anecdotal, they inform our lives, but they need to be judged in the context of the larger picture, with as much data as possible added in.
    Did I call it? Lol.

As per your second passage... this would mean taking into account all factors driving the data as well. Statistics don't tell the whole story and can be very misleading at times.

A few posts back I mentioned the fact that criminal activity is more prevalent in inner city black neighbourhoods versus predominantly white suburbs. So, we shouldn't be too surprised at discrepancies that exist among incarceration rates and races.

I also said cops are only at the point of the problem. Can we honestly say, in America, that minority groups have the same opportunities that the prevalent white sector enjoys? If we are honest with ourselves and exclude notable exceptions and some geographical regions, I think this question becomes rhetorical and the real problem begins to present itself.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

I'm outta here

True story...

A black person had the same chances as you if you both shared a similar upbringing.
    If a kid was raised in the projects, white or black, then no, he didn't have as many chances as you.

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637
    eddiec said:

my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

I'm outta here

True story...

A black person had the same chances as you if you both shared a similar upbringing.
    If a kid was raised in the projects, white or black, then no, he didn't have as many chances as you.

There's a ton of denial of white privilege in this thread, and that doesn't have anything to do with guilt. A black person from my same community with my same family income does not have the same chances that I did. They were flat out treated differently than I was and had barriers that I did not, strictly due to race.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

eddiec said:

my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

I'm outta here

True story...

There's a ton of denial of white privilege in this thread, and that doesn't have anything to do with guilt. A black person from my same community with my same family income does not have the same chances that I did. They were flat out treated differently than I was and had barriers that I did not, strictly due to race.
    It's astounding. Completely fly's in the face of logic.

I am impressed that some can forge ahead with their opinions based on anecdotes against overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

For the record, I don't feel any white guilt. I am very well aware of the privilege I have being a white man in North America.....or pretty much anywhere for that matter.

I will leave it to Louis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cuQTGKD01M
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I say neither the words terrorists or organized should be implied.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

eddiec said:

my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

I'm outta here

True story...

total bullshit... and that bullshit narrative gets repeated and repeated and repeated until you have organizations like BLM openly suggesting that they are being systematically targeted and oppressed by society because they are black

how exactly didn't they have the same chances that you did? what about their race stopped them from having the same opportunities you did in America? were they denied access to a public education? were they denied access to the local library? were they denied access to the local sports teams and other extra curricular activities? were they not allowed to get a drivers license? maybe they weren't allowed to go to college? if all of this oppression is going on how come Obama was able to go to Harvard and become POTUS? (born in 1961 by the way) how would any black person make it and be successful?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    dignin said:

Maybe some of you should head over to their web page to figure out who they are and what they are about before commenting.

http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

back to my original point... i'm not going to change anyone's mind on here, most Americans are WAY too mind fucked and brainwashed on the issue of race to have an honest conversation...

i had no real issue with BLM until you provided this link so i could see what they were really about... i would love for someone to honestly break down and explain how this insane comment below is anything but totally insightful garbage?

"Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise. It is an affirmation of Black folks’ contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression."
  • Options
    and for the record... i'm a registered democrat and probably more liberal on most issues than 98% of this board, which is saying a lot... voted for Obama 2 times and will hold my nose and vote for Hillary in November... so i'm not a right wing trump voter... i just call it how i see it

#AllLivesMatter
  • Options
    my2hands said:

dignin said:

Maybe some of you should head over to their web page to figure out who they are and what they are about before commenting.

http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

back to my original point... i'm not going to change anyone's mind on here, most Americans are WAY too mind fucked and brainwashed on the issue of race to have an honest conversation...

i had no real issue with BLM until you provided this link so i could see what they were really about... i would love for someone to honestly break down and explain how this insane comment below is anything but totally insightful garbage?

"Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise. It is an affirmation of Black folks’ contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression."
    You won't get an answer because 99% of people on here refuse to admit that BLM is a racist movement and will find any figure or stat they deem suitable to make it untrue.

No other colour on the planet could put out a website like that with a paragraph like that as well and not receive serious backlash.
  • Options
    I don't know if they are a racist movement... all of the peope that support them certainly aren't racist... the word racist gets thrown around way too loosely currently... but I will say their entire premise (if summarized by their mission statement) is ridiculous, insightful, and dangerous...

we all want peace and harmony