Options

BLM a terrorist organization??

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732

dignin said:

Systematic, definitely.....the evidence is insurmountable. Intentional? Well that is debatable and can all come down to semantics.

I'm not surprised but saddened that out of that whole website some here would focus on that one controversial statement.

Either way, there is nothing about the beliefs at the core of BLM movement that is violent. Can people act violent in protests? Yes....but that's clearly not what the movement is about.

How can you not go by what people in a movement say?
    Can you please quote us where BLM representatives officially advocate violence?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ^^^
    This movement is like Trump.
    They speak truth and turn the world upside down.
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

Maybe some of you should head over to their web page to figure out who they are and what they are about before commenting.

http://blacklivesmatter.com/guiding-principles/

just popped onto the site with the link you provided... below is the first line of their statement, and frankly its pure sensationalized bullshit... I didn't feel a need to read further

"Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise."
    Just because you don't like it, that doesn't make it untrue.
    Actually, it's bullshit and absolutely untrue

Who is "systematically and intentionally targeting black lives for demise"?

Essentially they are stating there is an active conspiracy being executed to target and kill black people... that is 100% bullshit, and saying that does not make me a racist or naive...

Who is in on this genocidal conspiracy? The black president? Maybe the black attorney general? Perhaps all of the minority mayors are in on it? How the minority police officers, surely they are purposely targetting other minorities?

Frankly, the VAST majority of people I see systematically targeting black people, are other black people... like it or not

Are there bad cops? Of course... when they break the law charge them and prosecute them like the criminal that they are... this country is littered with guns... this country is littered with gun violence... the black community is plagued by gun violence... and we are shocked that some cops end up making mistakes or developing a quick trigger finger? I wonder how on edge you would be if you policed in some of these communities and responded daily to shootings and saw firsthand how many weapons and how much violence was occurring in some of these areas?

Police are putting their lives on the line every day, some in the worst possible neighborhoods... you know, the neighborhoods 99% of us on here avoid at all costs... they run into situations 99% of us run away from...

I work with a woman whose husband is a cop in my local city... he is black... he recently shot a young black kid who survived thank god... because during a foot pursuit the kid turned around and pointed a toy gun at them... when he realized he shot the kid he fainted... he struggles with this mentally ever day since... it will impact him on his job for the rest of his career, if he can even continue mentally... so please enlighten me, what should he have done? Maybe he is part of this bullshit conspiracy you appear to support? I happen to think he is a good man just trying to earn an honest living to provide for his family, that was forced to make a life or death decision in the blink of an eye... meanwhile Monday morning quatrrbacjs like you get to sit back and pass judgement

Frankly I find the kind of statement mentioned earlier to be disgusting, ignorant, and harmful...

I fully support law enforcement and every other person in civil services, 99% of them are great people just trying to do a good job... and I also fully believe that #AllLivesMatter... and guess what, that doesn't make me a racist or naive
    Thank you for sharing this story. Many should learn something from it, but I doubt they will. Interesting your police friend is black cause if he were a white police officer who shot this young black innocent honors student boy, we would all know his name by now.
  • Options

^^^
    This movement is like Trump.
    They speak truth and turn the world upside down.

Now look who's posting to the wrong thread! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,649
    edited July 2016
    my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

Maybe some of you should head over to their web page to figure out who they are and what they are about before commenting.

just popped onto the site with the link you provided... below is the first line of their statement, and frankly its pure sensationalized bullshit... I didn't feel a need to read further

"Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise."

Essentially they are stating there is an active conspiracy being executed to target and kill black people... that is 100% bullshit, and saying that does not make me a racist or naive...

Who is in on this genocidal conspiracy? The black president? Maybe the black attorney general? Perhaps all of the minority mayors are in on it? How the minority police officers, surely they are purposely targetting other minorities?

Frankly, the VAST majority of people I see systematically targeting black people, are other black people... like it or not

Are there bad cops? Of course... when they break the law charge them and prosecute them like the criminal that they are... this country is littered with guns... this country is littered with gun violence... the black community is plagued by gun violence... and we are shocked that some cops end up making mistakes or developing a quick trigger finger? I wonder how on edge you would be if you policed in some of these communities and responded daily to shootings and saw firsthand how many weapons and how much violence was occurring in some of these areas?

Police are putting their lives on the line every day, some in the worst possible neighborhoods... you know, the neighborhoods 99% of us on here avoid at all costs... they run into situations 99% of us run away from...

I work with a woman whose husband is a cop in my local city... he is black... he recently shot a young black kid who survived thank god... because during a foot pursuit the kid turned around and pointed a toy gun at them... when he realized he shot the kid he fainted... he struggles with this mentally ever day since... it will impact him on his job for the rest of his career, if he can even continue mentally... so please enlighten me, what should he have done? Maybe he is part of this bullshit conspiracy you appear to support? I happen to think he is a good man just trying to earn an honest living to provide for his family, that was forced to make a life or death decision in the blink of an eye... meanwhile Monday morning quatrrbacjs like you get to sit back and pass judgement

Frankly I find the kind of statement mentioned earlier to be disgusting, ignorant, and harmful...

I fully support law enforcement and every other person in civil services, 99% of them are great people just trying to do a good job... and I also fully believe that #AllLivesMatter... and guess what, that doesn't make me a racist or naive

I think when you respond by talking about a genocidal conspiracy you are missing the point, which is also a fault I find with BLM, though I do support the general intentions of the movement. They focus too much attention on individual police encounters, and not enough on the laws and criminal justice system itself. Our drug laws target the poor, particularly minorities in high density areas, and has been a plague across the country in black neighborhoods. Its so entrenched in our society it will be a long and hard fix, and frankly too much information to cover on a mb post. But ultimately you have black communities turned into police states. It's not that all the cops are racist, though some are...what's more of a problem is the laws they are enforcing, the tactics used to enforce them, and the fact that the color of your skin and the size of your bank account will have a huge impact on how you fare in the court of law. Once youre in the system it's a viscous cycle. People become unemployable and kids grow up without parents. Places like Chicago are just a reflection of how our country has failed the black community. There's a boatload of information out there that highlights how black Americans have been systematically opressed in this country, and it's not anecdotal like the story you just told.

Of course there is an element of responsibility on the individual level, but this is an epidemic, and to suggest black people should bare full responsibilty for what is going on across the country in their neighborhoods is inherently racist.

And yes, whether you agree with the tactics of the BLM movement or not, responding with all lives matter is racist, or at the very least, a very ignorant thing to say.
    Post edited by Lifted on
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    Lifted said:

my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

I think when you respond by talking about a genocidal conspiracy you are missing the point, which is also a fault I find with BLM, though I do support the general intentions of the movement. They focus too much attention on individual police encounters, and not enough on the laws and criminal justice system itself. Our drug laws target the poor, particularly minorities in high density areas, and has been a plague across the country in black neighborhoods. Its so entrenched in our society it will be a long and hard fix, and frankly too much information to cover on a mb post. But ultimately you have black communities turned into police states. It's not that all the cops are racist, though some are...what's more of a problem is the laws they are enforcing, the tactics used to enforce them, and the fact that the color of your skin and the size of your bank account will have a huge impact on how you fare in the court of law. Once youre in the system it's a viscous cycle. People become unemployable and kids grow up without parents. Places like Chicago are just a reflection of how our country has failed the black community. There's a boatload of information out there that highlights how black Americans have been systematically opressed in this country, and it's not anecdotal like the story you just told.

Of course there is an element of responsibility on the individual level, but this is an epidemic, and to suggest black people should bare full responsibilty for what is going on across the country in their neighborhoods is inherently racist.

And yes, whether you agree with the tactics of the BLM movement or not, responding with all lives matter is racist, or at the very least, a very ignorant thing to say.
    Did you just say responding with ALL lives matter is racist, or a very ignorant thing to say? This place is the best!!!!

Good news coming out of Chicago. One of the lead BLM protesters, Jamal Green was charged w/ 3 felony counts Sunday night w/ a possible upgrade to felony X for trying to disarm a officer that was all caught on video. When his bail was set at 350k he cried like a little bitch. Wait till he feels what really matters in the pokey.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

Great post. Really sorry about your coworker's husband. That's rough.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited July 2016
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Here's the full quote from the BLM website (interesting that some was left off, my2hands):

Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise. It is an affirmation of Black folks’ contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.

Why is this objectionable?

I think you are mixing up your threads.
    Why do you think some find it objectionable?
    No, it's all up there here.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

You fully believe this to be true gambs?
    It is statistically factual.
    There are a lot of factual statistics. Picking out one and repeating it over and over while ignoring all the rest is intellectually dishonest.

I would never in a million years disagree that there is a problem with (some number of) police officers abusing their power while violating the civil and human rights of (some number of) African Americans. I fully believe that is one systemic problem we need to address.

I also believe it is essential to address the problem of violent crime in African American neighborhoods. (Some number of) innocent people who live in those neighborhoods also have civil and human rights that (some number of) their own people systematically and intentionally deprive them of. There are four year-olds killed in the crossfires everyday, who suffer terribly the same way that young child in the back of the MN car also now suffers. Young children don't really give a shit what system or what statistical so and so made it happen. They just want the fucking grown ups -- ALL the fucking grown ups -- to protect and provide for and nurture them.

Why can't the argument be both this and that? One truth does not cancel out the other truth. All of it is really, really hard work. Transforming an entrenched law enforcement system is no easier than transforming broken families and neighborhoods. People need to quit bickering sides and get to work because too many people are dying everywhere for too many different reasons.
    Cart before the horse again. Why do you suppose there is so much violence in black neighborhoods?

Oh come on, Brian, there are many reasons there is so much violence. For every person who chooses that violent life, there is a different reason. I don't recall ever learning that this violence was generally the case historically, though, pre-integration or pre-War on Poverty, or pre 80's crack epidemic. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe African Americans always killed each other and that history isn't being published in the textbooks either. I've certainly read enough slave narratives and other race theory and civilbrights history to understand the complex psychological dysfunction stemming from a 500 year history of oppression. I'm certain that limited access to opportunity has a ton to do with it.

Understanding cause and effect, however, is not the same thing as defining a problem and finding solutions. Two different thought processes -- One involves a whole lot of talking; the other involves a whole lot of doing. What we have been doing for the past 50-plus years has unequivocally failed. School integration is a failure. Affirmative action is a failure. The welfare state is a failure. What gun control we have in place is a failure. As a lifelong voting liberal, I personally can't look in the mirror and keep saying this shit works when all the evidence flies to the contrary.

I really don't know what else we're supposed to try, but white people are absolutely not going to fix things on our own. If people of color don't create and lead some change themselves, their neighborhoods will continue to crumble. ALL PEOPLE need to build pride and strength and ownership in their own lives. That can't be handed to someone. I say that out of respect for their integrity, not because I'm trying to pass the buck. People are not victims. The African American people specifically are *survivors* of the worst cruelty possible to humankind. All of them are currently born with an untapped potential to succeed in America, and we have to stop talking about them and treating them as if they are helpless. They're not, and to me, it's self-defeating to suggest they are incapable of being (or it's too hard to be) a decent, law abiding citizen or an accomplished human being just because they were born black. That's the implication of your question.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    dignin said:

Systematic, definitely.....the evidence is insurmountable. Intentional? Well that is debatable and can all come down to semantics.

I'm not surprised but saddened that out of that whole website some here would focus on that one controversial statement.

Either way, there is nothing about the beliefs at the core of BLM movement that is violent. Can people act violent in protests? Yes....but that's clearly not what the movement is about.

'Systematic' definition: done or acting according to a fixed plan or system; methodical.

A fixed plan intentionally (the other operative term) devised by police to target black males and shoot them as they perform police duties? Really? You think so, huh? A little 'extreme' don't you think?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Here's the full quote from the BLM website (interesting that some was left off, my2hands):

Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise. It is an affirmation of Black folks’ contributions to this society, our humanity, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.

Why is this objectionable?

I think you are mixing up your threads.
    Why do you think some find it objectionable?
    No, it's all up there here.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

You fully believe this to be true gambs?
    It is statistically factual.
    There are a lot of factual statistics. Picking out one and repeating it over and over while ignoring all the rest is intellectually dishonest.

I would never in a million years disagree that there is a problem with (some number of) police officers abusing their power while violating the civil and human rights of (some number of) African Americans. I fully believe that is one systemic problem we need to address.

I also believe it is essential to address the problem of violent crime in African American neighborhoods. (Some number of) innocent people who live in those neighborhoods also have civil and human rights that (some number of) their own people systematically and intentionally deprive them of. There are four year-olds killed in the crossfires everyday, who suffer terribly the same way that young child in the back of the MN car also now suffers. Young children don't really give a shit what system or what statistical so and so made it happen. They just want the fucking grown ups -- ALL the fucking grown ups -- to protect and provide for and nurture them.

Why can't the argument be both this and that? One truth does not cancel out the other truth. All of it is really, really hard work. Transforming an entrenched law enforcement system is no easier than transforming broken families and neighborhoods. People need to quit bickering sides and get to work because too many people are dying everywhere for too many different reasons.
    Cart before the horse again. Why do you suppose there is so much violence in black neighborhoods?

Oh come on, Brian, there are many reasons there is so much violence. For every person who chooses that violent life, there is a different reason. I don't recall ever learning that this violence was generally the case historically, though, pre-integration or pre-War on Poverty, or pre 80's crack epidemic. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe African Americans always killed each other and that history isn't being published in the textbooks either. I've certainly read enough slave narratives and other race theory and civilbrights history to understand the complex psychological dysfunction stemming from a 500 year history of oppression. I'm certain that limited access to opportunity has a ton to do with it.

Understanding cause and effect, however, is not the same thing as defining a problem and finding solutions. Two different thought processes -- One involves a whole lot of talking; the other involves a whole lot of doing. What we have been doing for the past 50-plus years has unequivocally failed. School integration is a failure. Affirmative action is a failure. The welfare state is a failure. What gun control we have in place is a failure. As a lifelong voting liberal, I personally can't look in the mirror and keep saying this shit works when all the evidence flies to the contrary.

I really don't know what else we're supposed to try, but white people are absolutely not going to fix things on our own. If people of color don't create and lead some change themselves, their neighborhoods will continue to crumble. ALL PEOPLE need to build pride and strength and ownership in their own lives. That can't be handed to someone. I say that out of respect for their integrity, not because I'm trying to pass the buck. People are not victims. The African American people specifically are *survivors* of the worst cruelty possible to humankind. All of them are currently born with an untapped potential to succeed in America, and we have to stop talking about them and treating them as if they are helpless. They're not, and to me, it's self-defeating to suggest they are incapable of being (or it's too hard to be) a decent, law abiding citizen or an accomplished human being just because they were born black. That's the implication of your question.
    Good stuff there, what dreams. I don't know that actual statistics so not really sure if there is more violence in inner cities today compared to the past. There was plenty in the sixties and seventies, I remember that.

I agree that white people aren't going to fix things on their own. The black community will probably fair best if they develop strong leadership and the rest of us either lend a hand, be supportive, or stay out of the way as much as possible. I'm not sure how well the example holds up, but it seems like American Indians started to fair better when they started developing their own plans, took there own initiative and had charismatic and strong leaders like Dennis Banks, Clyde and Vernon Bellecourt and Russell Means. Now I know a lot of criticism has been made against those guys and I agree, some of their tactics just didn't cut it but the over-all gain was a much heightened sense of self-respect among Native Americans and more respect from other groups (despite the embarrassment of cultural appropriation by some white folks with their dream catchers hanging from rear view mirrors etc, etc.)

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    hedonist said:

g under p said:

Shawshank said:

I pray BLM protestors use this woman as their inspiration. This is all that's needed and speaks louder than any type of destruction or violence ever will. So beautiful.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nurse-mother-describes-her-baton-rouge-arrest-god-191332733.html

Good article.
    After her arrest, Evans ended another Facebook post with, "Peace, love, blk power! ‪#‎blacklivesmatter."

I wonder if someone said that but used a different colour they would be able to get away with it?
    I hope her son learned something from what his mother stood for and against. Also some day she may try to encourage him to become an officer or a lawyer. Then try and become a shining example for his community in the future.

Peace

You know that sounds really patronizing.
    I didn't take it that way at all (especially considering the source of g!). Struck me as a great way to maybe effect some positive change.
    Well I looked at this from perspective of the mother who is a LPNurse. I'm pretty sure when at her job she's not thinking of black power or anything of that sort. She takes care of those who are hurt and in need of health care just like my mother did years ago. I can somewhat see that in the way she stood there peacefully as the officers approached to take her away.

For all I know there could some outside influence that would cause her to speak out for black power. None the less she can STILL teach or encourage her son to become a positive black male influence on his community by becoming an officer of the law with integrity to all. She made something of herself and I'm hoping she'll pass it unto her son to become a shining example for others like him to follow. I really don't see what's wrong with that especially with what the black community is facing today.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

dignin said:

'Systematic' definition: done or acting according to a fixed plan or system; methodical.

A fixed plan intentionally (the other operative term) devised by police to target black males and shoot them as they perform police duties? Really? You think so, huh? A little 'extreme' don't you think?
    exactly... its total bullshit... plain and simple
  • Options
    Lifted said:

please tell me how #AllLivesMatter is racist my friend?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Lifted said:

my2hands said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

Now were starting to get to the heart of the matter. Good post.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    my2hands said:

Lifted said:

U.S. Uncut

A law professor received a written complaint from “Concerned Students” about his Black Lives Matter shirt, and she responded by brilliantly turning the letter into a teachable moment, taking apart their arguments and the assumptions behind them, literally and figuratively schooling the authors of the complaint with wit, clarity, and moral authority.

The full text of both the student’s complaint and the law professor’s response can be found here.

The students wrote, “The ‘Black Lives Matter’ statement is racist and anti-law enforcement and has been known to incite violence in this country. As someone who is paid to teach the law, you should be ashamed of yourself,” among other arguments against the professor’s choice of wardrobe.

The professor responded with “Here is a short list of some of the premises in your memo, and my critique of them.” She then structured her response by separating the “Premise” of the student’s arguments with her “Critique” of said arguments.

Premise: There is an invisible ‘only’ in front of the words ‘Black Lives Matter.’

Critique: There is a difference between focus and exclusion. If something matters, this does not imply that nothing else does. If I say ‘Law Students Matter’ it does not imply that my colleagues, friends, and family do not. Here is something that matters: context. The Black Lives Matter movement arose in a context of evidence that they don’t. When people are receiving messages from a culture in which they live that their lives are less important than other lives, it is a cruel distortion of reality to scold them for not being inclusive enough[…]

As a general matter, seeing the world and the people in it in mutually exclusive, either/or terms impedes your own thought processes. If you wish to bear that intellectual consequence of a constricting ideology, that’s your decision. But this does not entitle you to project your either/or ideology onto people who do not share it.

Premise: Saying “Black Lives Matter” is an expression of hatred against white people.

Critique: “Black Lives Matter” is not a statement about white people. It does not exclude white people. It does not accuse white people, unless you are a specific white person who perpetrates, endorses, or ignores violence against black people.

Maybe not racist, but surely immature.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

Systematically and intentionally targeted?

No.

The orphaned street kids and homeless in Columbia... yes.
    So, your interpretation of the data is that unarmed black men being 7 times more likely to be shot than unarmed white men is random and unintentional? For that analysis to be true, it would require the mother of all statistical anomalies.
    No.

My interpretation of that data is that there are several factors at play other than a succinctly framed or secretly designed mandate to 'systematically and intentionally' target black people.

Systematic? Intentionally? Come on, man.
    So it's all just coincidence that black people receive demonstrably unfair treatment at every level of the justice system?
    Come on, man.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Lifted said:

U.S. Uncut

A law professor received a written complaint from “Concerned Students” about his Black Lives Matter shirt, and she responded by brilliantly turning the letter into a teachable moment, taking apart their arguments and the assumptions behind them, literally and figuratively schooling the authors of the complaint with wit, clarity, and moral authority.

The full text of both the student’s complaint and the law professor’s response can be found here.

The students wrote, “The ‘Black Lives Matter’ statement is racist and anti-law enforcement and has been known to incite violence in this country. As someone who is paid to teach the law, you should be ashamed of yourself,” among other arguments against the professor’s choice of wardrobe.

The professor responded with “Here is a short list of some of the premises in your memo, and my critique of them.” She then structured her response by separating the “Premise” of the student’s arguments with her “Critique” of said arguments.

Premise: There is an invisible ‘only’ in front of the words ‘Black Lives Matter.’

Critique: There is a difference between focus and exclusion. If something matters, this does not imply that nothing else does. If I say ‘Law Students Matter’ it does not imply that my colleagues, friends, and family do not. Here is something that matters: context. The Black Lives Matter movement arose in a context of evidence that they don’t. When people are receiving messages from a culture in which they live that their lives are less important than other lives, it is a cruel distortion of reality to scold them for not being inclusive enough[…]

As a general matter, seeing the world and the people in it in mutually exclusive, either/or terms impedes your own thought processes. If you wish to bear that intellectual consequence of a constricting ideology, that’s your decision. But this does not entitle you to project your either/or ideology onto people who do not share it.

Premise: Saying “Black Lives Matter” is an expression of hatred against white people.

Critique: “Black Lives Matter” is not a statement about white people. It does not exclude white people. It does not accuse white people, unless you are a specific white person who perpetrates, endorses, or ignores violence against black people.

Maybe not racist, but surely immature.
    that didn't answer my question, at all...

and frankly, that professor is bullshit as well... the part I put in bold... correct me if I am wrong but the most powerful person in the world right now is black? as is the top law enforcement official in the country? i assume that college professor is black? so where are these messages from the American culture that black lives are less important? how many non-blacks voted for Obama? some of the most popular, powerful, and respected people in the US are black...

while we are at it, if we are going to paint with broad brushes, do you know who doesn't value black lives? according to the statistics it is other black people because they are the ones gunning each other down by the thousands every year... of course people like you will claim that is the fault of white people, or the establishment, or whatever code word you want to use to insinuate that "whitey" is the reason for all of the world problems... its total bullshit that only perpetuates the "victim" or "inferiority" complex, which continues to cripple the black community and leads us back to the message quoted earlier by BLM that they are being systematically targeted... that type of mentality and language derails any hope of an honest conversation and resulting progress

telling the truth doesn't make you a racist, some of you guys will figure that out when you finally drop your white guilt...
  • Options
    saw a bumper sticker on sunday that said "Danger: Educated Black Woman"

so my gf points out that if she had a bumper sticker that said "Danger: Educated White Woman" the shit would hit the fan... she is far from racist... and she is 100% correct...

i understand the historical context and one time need for things like BET or affirmative rights, but it is time to get rid of the double standard... black people do not need special treatment or their hand held... you should get the job or into the university because you are qualified, not because of a quota... we will never make true long term progress until then
  • Options
    The Myths of Black Lives Matter
    The movement has won over Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. But what if its claims are fiction?

By
    Heather Mac Donald

July 9, 2016 2:04 p.m. ET

Editor’s Note: Originally published Feb. 11, 2016

A television ad for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign now airing in South Carolina shows the candidate declaring that “too many encounters with law enforcement end tragically.” She later adds: “We have to face up to the hard truth of injustice and systemic racism.”

Her Democratic presidential rival, Bernie Sanders, met with the Rev. Al Sharpton on Wednesday. Mr. Sanders then tweeted that “As President, let me be very clear that no one will fight harder to end racism and reform our broken criminal justice system than I will.” And he appeared on the TV talk show “The View” saying, “It is not acceptable to see unarmed people being shot by police officers.”

Apparently the Black Lives Matter movement has convinced Democrats and progressives that there is an epidemic of racist white police officers killing young black men. Such rhetoric is going to heat up as Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Sanders court minority voters before the Feb. 27 South Carolina primary.

But what if the Black Lives Matter movement is based on fiction? Not just the fictional account of the 2014 police shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., but the utter misrepresentation of police shootings generally.

To judge from Black Lives Matter protesters and their media and political allies, you would think that killer cops pose the biggest threat to young black men today. But this perception, like almost everything else that many people think they know about fatal police shootings, is wrong.

The Washington Post has been gathering data on fatal police shootings over the past year and a half to correct acknowledged deficiencies in federal tallies. The emerging data should open many eyes.

For starters, fatal police shootings make up a much larger proportion of white and Hispanic homicide deaths than black homicide deaths. According to the Post database, in 2015 officers killed 662 whites and Hispanics, and 258 blacks. (The overwhelming majority of all those police-shooting victims were attacking the officer, often with a gun.) Using the 2014 homicide numbers as an approximation of 2015’s, those 662 white and Hispanic victims of police shootings would make up 12% of all white and Hispanic homicide deaths. That is three times the proportion of black deaths that result from police shootings.

The lower proportion of black deaths due to police shootings can be attributed to the lamentable black-on-black homicide rate. There were 6,095 black homicide deaths in 2014—the most recent year for which such data are available—compared with 5,397 homicide deaths for whites and Hispanics combined. Almost all of those black homicide victims had black killers.

Police officers—of all races—are also disproportionately endangered by black assailants. Over the past decade, according to FBI data, 40% of cop killers have been black. Officers are killed by blacks at a rate 2.5 times higher than the rate at which blacks are killed by police.

Some may find evidence of police bias in the fact that blacks make up 26% of the police-shooting victims, compared with their 13% representation in the national population. But as residents of poor black neighborhoods know too well, violent crimes are disproportionately committed by blacks. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, blacks were charged with 62% of all robberies, 57% of murders and 45% of assaults in the 75 largest U.S. counties in 2009, though they made up roughly 15% of the population there.

Such a concentration of criminal violence in minority communities means that officers will be disproportionately confronting armed and often resisting suspects in those communities, raising officers’ own risk of using lethal force.

The Black Lives Matter movement claims that white officers are especially prone to shooting innocent blacks due to racial bias, but this too is a myth. A March 2015 Justice Department report on the Philadelphia Police Department found that black and Hispanic officers were much more likely than white officers to shoot blacks based on “threat misperception”—that is, the mistaken belief that a civilian is armed.

A 2015 study by University of Pennsylvania criminologist Greg Ridgeway, formerly acting director of the National Institute of Justice, found that, at a crime scene where gunfire is involved, black officers in the New York City Police Department were 3.3 times more likely to discharge their weapons than other officers at the scene.

The Black Lives Matter movement has been stunningly successful in changing the subject from the realities of violent crime. The world knows the name of Michael Brown but not Tyshawn Lee, a 9-year-old black child lured into an alley and killed by gang members in Chicago last fall. Tyshawn was one of dozens of black children gunned down in America last year. The Baltimore Sun reported on Jan. 1: “Blood was shed in Baltimore at an unprecedented pace in 2015, with mostly young, black men shot to death in a near-daily crush of violence.”

Those were black lives that mattered, and it is a scandal that outrage is heaped less on the dysfunctional culture that produces so many victims than on the police officers who try to protect them.

Ms. Mac Donald is the Thomas W. Smith fellow at the Manhattan Institute and author of “The War on Cops,” forthcoming in July from Encounter Books.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-myths-of-black-lives-matter-1468087453

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    my2hands said:

so my gf points out that if she had a bumper sticker that said "Danger: Educated White Woman" the shit would hit the fan... she is far from racist... and she is 100% correct...

i understand the historical context and one time need for things like BET or affirmative rights, but it is time to get rid of the double standard... black people do not need special treatment or their hand held... you should get the job or into the university because you are qualified, not because of a quota... we will never make true long term progress until then

There's probably another term for your gf not understanding the difference between the two bumper stickers. It's understandable that people, mostly whites, want to minimize racism as it exists today and blame racial tension on steps taken to create more equality.
  • Options

my2hands said:

There's probably another term for your gf not understanding the difference between the two bumper stickers. It's understandable that people, mostly whites, want to minimize racism as it exists today and blame racial tension on steps taken to create more equality.
    I would argue that once a black Harvard graduate named Barack Hussein Obama was elected president, twice, that equality has been generally reached and there is no need for special treatment... at this point the public is more than willing to elect and support black people to be the leaders of the free world... secretary of state... attorney general... supreme court justice... etc... etc... etc...

this isn't 1960 anymore, feel free to lay down your white guilt folks... you are not the evil scourge of the world that some like to paint you as... teach peace, teach tolerance, but please stop teaching that we are different and need different treatment... that's not helping anybody
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

No.

So, your interpretation of the data is that unarmed black men being 7 times more likely to be shot than unarmed white men is random and unintentional? For that analysis to be true, it would require the mother of all statistical anomalies.
    No.

My interpretation of that data is that there are several factors at play other than a succinctly framed or secretly designed mandate to 'systematically and intentionally' target black people.

So it's all just coincidence that black people receive demonstrably unfair treatment at every level of the justice system?
    Come on, man.
    Are you suggesting cops ignore white people committing crimes?

Do you think there is the same level of criminal activity in white suburbia as there is in inner city, impoverished neighbourhoods populated mostly by black people?

I'm not saying there isn't a problem. I'm saying that blaming the police at the point of the problem is short sighted.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

No.

No.

Come on, man.

Do you think there is the same level of criminal activity in white suburbia as there is in inner city, impoverished neighbourhoods populated mostly by black people?

I'm not saying there isn't a problem. I'm saying that blaming the police at the point of the problem is short sighted.
    It's been demonstrated over and over that they do!
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited July 2016

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

dignin said:

No.

No.

Come on, man.

There is definitely a different set of rules though. I know if I get caught with a big bag of weed that I'm not going to go to jail.

The kid in the ghetto with the same bag? Yeah, he's going to jail.

• Options
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

I would argue that once a black Harvard graduate named Barack Hussein Obama was elected president, twice, that equality has been generally reached and there is no need for special treatment... at this point the public is more than willing to elect and support black people to be the leaders of the free world... secretary of state... attorney general... supreme court justice... etc... etc... etc...

this isn't 1960 anymore, feel free to lay down your white guilt folks... you are not the evil scourge of the world that some like to paint you as... teach peace, teach tolerance, but please stop teaching that we are different and need different treatment... that's not helping anybody
    You clearly do not know any black people on a personal level or you would not hold that opinion.
    The treatment they receive still.to this day would probably shock you if you were exposed to it in real life, and not just through the internet.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    my2hands said:

Lifted said:

Maybe not technically racist on it's own, but just about every racist I've heard speaking on BLM has used that line, and I don't think it's coincidental. It's an extremely condescending and dismissive thing to say. It's a suggestion that the American experience is equal across racial lines, which is factually untrue, and especially insulting when suggested by white people.

I think it's one thing to not support BLM as an organization, and there are a number of reasonable reasons someone might feel that way...but saying all lives matter, and blue lives matter is some passive aggressive bullshit and you know it.
  • Options
    Shawshank said:

rgambs said:

First of all, congratulations for parroting another pile of Limbaugh feces! Did you think about this before you posted it? I sure hope not.

Second of all, it makes little sense.
    Do you really think the organization required to end gang related violence is as easy as the organization required in telling people, "meet here for a protest"?? Surely you don't, you're not a moron.
    Who would they be seeking redress from with their organizational efforts? The gangs? The thousands of different individuals, operating under no real connection, that are responsible for perpetrating the crimes?

The only insult to me is that you actually thought I was influenced by Limbaugh. I work managing a couple of companies and don't have time to listen to the squawk boxes all day. I'm sure it's easier for some to keep up with them.

And yes, it is just as easy for a group this huge to organize a protest against gang violence...IF they truly want to make a change. Please explain what the difference would be saying, "we are tired of over 2,000 black lives being taken due to violence, and we are going to be taking a stand here at 7pm Friday"

The problem is the turnout would not be as high and the voices would not be as loud and that proves a fundemental problem within the community itself as I mentioned in another post.

Don't get me wrong...there are police problems...big time...and that's an understatement...but it should not be the sole focus and the only reason the BLM mobilizes.

Until they want to make a stand, against the violence in their own communities, then they devalue their message. Nothing will change and lives will continue to be lost. But let's shift the focus away from the internal strife, which is far and away the biggest problem and focus all of our energy on cops as though they are on a mission to exterminate the black race.

The difference? You can't see the difference between the people protesting the government for redress and the people protesting themselves for redress?
    Who is the target of that protest? Who among that target is capable of making changes to the status quo?

Seriously, it's like crazy town around here, nobody understands the fundamentals of protest at all.
    You can protest the government, or even a private entity (such as Target) for something, say traditional marriage, but you can't protest gay people to not be gay. Without a target in power that can actually do something a protest is just a stupid rant.

Now, could BLM organize community clean-ups, neighborhood watches, anti-gang initiatives, and so on? Yes, of course they could and should, but let's not be so daft as to think that is as simple as organizing a protest march.
    Also, I would like to note that there is a very robust community of people doing exactly that, bit of course they receive only derision for their efforts from our fine police officers like muskydan.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    eddiec said:

There is definitely a different set of rules though. I know if I get caught with a big bag of weed that I'm not going to go to jail.

That's just a ignorant BS statement. I've known many people that are white that have spent time in jail for weed. They didn't get a break because they were white.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    EM194007 said:

eddiec said:

That's just a ignorant BS statement. I've known many people that are white that have spent time in jail for weed. They didn't get a break because they were white.
    Ah, come on. You really think it's the same set of rules. Some kid in the ghetto vs, some white kid in suburbia. There are many factors in play- Ability to hire lawyers, character witnesses, etc.

• Options
    EM194007 said:

eddiec said:

Not B.S. It's statistically accurate.