Options

Police shooting people.....

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    lukin2006 said:

jeffbr said:

lukin2006 said:

So whats the background of Alton Stirling ... I've read that he has an extensive criminal record? Is this true? If so...how could he be carrying legally? You can carry guns in the USA with an extensive criminal record..? and be allowed a concealed carry permit? Am I missing something.

Sterling was the NOLA shooting. He was a shitbag, and based on the little we've read about the case, while the cops may have acted rashly, this looks justified. The cops were initially called to the scene because he was pointing his gun at someone. He was resisting, and apparently reaching for his gun while being restrained. Fuck him.

The other case was pretty clear cut murder by cop. The poor guy got pulled over for a broken tail light, had a concealed carry permit, was asked to produce it, and was shot while attempting to comply. Fuck the cop.

That's the problem with people on either side making blanket statements about white cops shooting black people. All of these cases are situational, and shouldn't be lumped together.
    The way you spelled his last name is the same spelling as the person mentioned in the article posted by the OP ... my spelling was incorrect, none the less, the name i've googled is coming up as the Baton Rouge victim and many articles mention extensive criminal record ... if so, how can you own a gun legally?
    The Baton Rouge guy is Alton Sterling. He apparently had an extensive criminal record and DID NOT have a concealed carry permit. He was a criminal and an idiot and paid for his behavior with his life.

The guy who had a concealed carry permit was named Philando Castile, was a high school cafeteria manager from a St. Paul, Minnesota suburb, and was murdered by a cop.

Two completely different shootings with completely different circumstances. In this country a felon is not allowed to be in possession of a firearm, so naturally would never be issued a concealed carry permit or be allowed to purchase a firearm.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    jeffbr said:

lukin2006 said:

jeffbr said:

lukin2006 said:

So whats the background of Alton Stirling ... I've read that he has an extensive criminal record? Is this true? If so...how could he be carrying legally? You can carry guns in the USA with an extensive criminal record..? and be allowed a concealed carry permit? Am I missing something.

Sterling was the NOLA shooting. He was a shitbag, and based on the little we've read about the case, while the cops may have acted rashly, this looks justified. The cops were initially called to the scene because he was pointing his gun at someone. He was resisting, and apparently reaching for his gun while being restrained. Fuck him.

The other case was pretty clear cut murder by cop. The poor guy got pulled over for a broken tail light, had a concealed carry permit, was asked to produce it, and was shot while attempting to comply. Fuck the cop.

That's the problem with people on either side making blanket statements about white cops shooting black people. All of these cases are situational, and shouldn't be lumped together.
    The way you spelled his last name is the same spelling as the person mentioned in the article posted by the OP ... my spelling was incorrect, none the less, the name i've googled is coming up as the Baton Rouge victim and many articles mention extensive criminal record ... if so, how can you own a gun legally?
    The Baton Rouge guy is Alton Sterling. He apparently had an extensive criminal record and DID NOT have a concealed carry permit. He was a criminal and an idiot and paid for his behavior with his life.

The guy who had a concealed carry permit was named Philando Castile, was a high school cafeteria manager from a St. Paul, Minnesota suburb, and was murdered by a cop.

Two completely different shootings with completely different circumstances. In this country a felon is not allowed to be in possession of a firearm, so naturally would never be issued a concealed carry permit or be allowed to purchase a firearm.
    Understood ... sorry for the confusion and thanks for clarifying ... silly me I was making comments based on the original article posted by the OP.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Btw In the shooting MN.....if the police officer's order of give me you license and registration is NOT on video......nothing will happen to this officer. Other than administrative leave with pay.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    g under p said:

Btw In the shooting MN.....if the police officer's order of give me you license and registration is NOT on video......nothing will happen to this officer. Other than administrative leave with pay.

Peace

I m shocked how relaxed and cool headed the girlfriend was during the whole incident.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

I m shocked how relaxed and cool headed the girlfriend was during the whole incident.
    Yep, there is a lot more to the story.

http://gotnews.com/breaking-philandocastile-falconheightsshooting-crips-gangmember/#comments
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Actually from Mickey ... just a few post above this ... but did not realize he was referring to the Minnesota incident, and my comments were based off the original article and I did not read every single post, so therefore I did not realize that we were discussing a second incident ... my mistake. But can you blame me ... hell this place will have several different threads started on the most trivial of topics but these 2 shootings don't get a thread each?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

http://gotnews.com/breaking-philandocastile-falconheightsshooting-crips-gangmember/#comments
    I agree there s more to this story than meets the eye but is that article from a credible news agency?
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mcgruff10 said:

EM194007 said:

mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

I agree there s more to this story than meets the eye but is that article from a credible news agency?
    The article read more like the National Enquirer. His claim to fame is that Drudge picks him up sometimes. But I am a bit disturbed by some of the facebook images and postings contained in the article. I imagine there are important pieces of the story still to come.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    EM194007 said:

mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

What fuckin' garbage that site was. Credibility out the window.

Let the victim blaming begin.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Got news.com? Really?
  • Options
    Here is a better article before all the AMT psychologists chime in. https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/07/07/he-just-shot-his-arm-off-the-startling-composure-of-girlfriend-in-minnesota-shooting.html
    Trauma experts say her demeanour shouldn’t surprise those who’ve worked with victims of violence. Jim Hopper, a psychology instructor at Harvard Medical School, watched the footage Thursday and said her response was consistent with what he calls a dissociative state.

In the immediate aftermath of horrific violence, he said, victims don’t always sob. Reynold’s face appeared stoic. Her voice remained steady (“You told him to get his ID, sir. His driver’s licence,” she told the police officer). But it doesn’t mean she wasn’t afraid.

“People are literally not feeling in their body what’s going on,” Hopper said. “That circuitry can basically shut down. This is the brain on horror.”
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Free said:

Got news.com? Really?

Yeah, what kind of person would frequent a piece of shit racist site like that? I feel victimized for even giving it a page view.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Free said:

Got news.com? Really?

Yeah, what kind of person would frequent a piece of shit racist site like that? I feel victimized for even giving it a page view.
    https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/07/07/he-just-shot-his-arm-off-the-startling-composure-of-girlfriend-in-minnesota-shooting.html
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    Just the fact that the cop did this with a kid in the back seat is shocking and wholly irresponsible... not that we need any more reasons to be appalled.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignin said:

EM194007 said:

mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

That site aside- although it was eye raising- this story is far from complete.

The woman's demeanour (as someone earlier mentioned) was strangely calm. Further, the police afterwards were still hostile.

This might be a case of racist cops or there might be more to the story.

What I would say is that it's amusing to witness the perennial 'wait and see' people already lined up, pitchforks in hand, and calling for a hanging.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

Well there's not much else one can do in a situation like that.....the deed was done there's not much she could do to save him.....all she could do was to remain calm and do so especially since there was a child in the rear seat that witnessed this shooting. Oh let me add she was quite respectful towards the officer addressing him as *sir*

I've never had a gun pointed at me but if I'm ever in such a situation I'll just have show some GUP.

Peace

Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

Well there's not much else one can do in a situation like that.....the deed was done there's not much she could do to save him.....all she could do was to remain calm and do so especially since there was a child in the rear seat that witnessed this shooting. Oh let me add she was quite respectful towards the officer addressing him as *sir*

I've never had a gun pointed at me but if I'm ever in such a situation I'll just have show some GUP.

Peace

I think I would freak out if a cop just shot someone I knew/loved. I was pretty impressed on how she reacted.
  • Options

dignin said:

EM194007 said:

mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

The woman's demeanour (as someone earlier mentioned) was strangely calm. Further, the police afterwards were still hostile.

What I would say is that it's amusing to witness the perennial 'wait and see' people already lined up, pitchforks in hand, and calling for a hanging.
    Did you read the article explaining how this is understandable behaviour? Her kid was in the car - she didn't want to get shot too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    jeffbr said:

mcgruff10 said:

EM194007 said:

mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

The article read more like the National Enquirer. His claim to fame is that Drudge picks him up sometimes. But I am a bit disturbed by some of the facebook images and postings contained in the article. I imagine there are important pieces of the story still to come.
    Someone can read between the lines I see. I don't care about the site, it's what they found on the internet about the guy and girl.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,847
    lukin2006 said:

mickeyrat said:

pjalive21 said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/falcon-heights-shooting-minnesota/index.html

Overwhelmed. I started tearing up. This guy's life is ending in front of us. Ugh. Too much.

This is tragic nonetheless but we come into the story halfway thru it...will admit from where it starts it doesn't look good and he was licensed to carry a gun, but in this particular case I definitely need to get all the facts

this woman's poor child...now that gets me
    informed the cop he carried, was licensed. stated he was reaching for id. AS ORDERED. murdered.

anything else you want?
    Are sure he was licensed to carry a gun? He supposedly had an extensive criminal record ... how are you legally able to buy a gun with a criminal record?
    not the dude in minneapolis.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I've seen this video several times. I'm not sure we can just assume what the woman said 100% accurate. We really do need to wait for this investigation plays out. It's very hard to believe that he was shot in front of his daughter and girlfriend. Very sad.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

EM194007 said:

mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

Did you read the article explaining how this is understandable behaviour? Her kid was in the car - she didn't want to get shot too.
    Yes, but after I posted what I did.

I'm aghast as anyone, but my knee jerk reaction of complete condemnation of the officers on hand has slowed a bit. I'd like to be able to understand exactly what happened and what circumstances led to the shooting.

Don't get me wrong... it looks like a trigger itchy cop blasted a black guy for no good reason; however, there has to be more to the story. Maybe there's not? Maybe this is one of the grossest cases of police violence I can recall?
  • Options
    Also, should she be posting on facebook while her boyfriend is dying? Why not call 911? Put pressure on the wound? Something other than posting it to Facebook.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

Peace

Peace

I think I would freak out if a cop just shot someone I knew/loved. I was pretty impressed on how she reacted.
    Well, we are all humans and react to certain situations differently. Some go into shock and can remain calm, some can just immediately freak out regardless of what danger that action will put them in. That woman Lavish I believe was particularly calm in that one of those four shots could've easily of hit her yet spoke clearly, respectfully and calmly towards the officer.

Peace

• Options

Also, should she be posting on facebook while her boyfriend is dying? Why not call 911? Put pressure on the wound? Something other than posting it to Facebook.

Or sob?

It seemed like she became passive aggressive.

Yes PJSoul... I read the article, but that is one qualified person's opinion on how another person could react in such a situation. The hypothesis might be accurate, but most people I have seen in these situations are far more emotional.

For the emotional types, how does the 'expert' explain their hysterics? With the exact opposite hypothesis?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I'm sure she was very conscious of what was playing out and wanted to show the world. Given the current feelings of black communities towards the cops and how they keep shooting people, I don't find this strange at all. She is probably just a BLM supporter. She lives in a world where she knows she needs evidence for these kinds of events. Because what if she hadn't filmed it?? She knew what she was doing and why, and it was a good decision on her part. She must be a fairly smart woman to be that composed and deliberate in that situation. If she didn't film it then the cop would have gotten away with it, and she would probably be called a liar if she told the truth.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

Now you are on to something
  • Options

Are you serious, her supposed boyfriend was just shot the officer is still barking orders. Such as don't move and the like.....if she tries to attend to him what do think the officer is going to do, his adrenaline is flowing he would have probably shot her as well. The best thing she probably could do was to remain calm, be respectful and remarkably record the incident as best as she could. So that later there could be something of evidence to show what had transpired.

Peace

• Options
    muskydan said:

Now you are on to something
    I'm not onto any conspiracy theory. It's just an odd thing to do while your boyfriend is dying. I mean her initial reaction after shots were fired were to pull out her phone? Not to protect her child? Or help her fiance? It's an odd reaction. I would like to hear the officers story. I think everyone may be a little too quick to think it happened how she said it happened.
  • Options
    ^^^
    It is the society of today.
    Pics/facebook or it didn't happen.