Options

Most amazing voice you've ever heard?

So I know there are "great" voices out there. Obviously we all listen to bands and like the singers but, is there a voice that you've heard and just say, DAMN...?!?

I feel like Buck O'neil when asked about hearing the" crack" of the bat and knowing that sound.

So I've heard 3 voices where I went wow... Not Sinatra or Mercury wow, but WOW. Winehouse came close but she left too early...

That voice when you hear it you know, you know it's special.

Roy Orbison. When this man sings I listen.. I listen to every note. He has a voice that, I don't think, has ever been duplicated. His vibrato and pitch, stunning.

George Harrison. I don't listen to the Beatles, never have, shame on me. Harrison's solo career is when I heard him. His voice, like Orbison's, makes me hang on every note. I can't explain why but it is like nothing I've heard before.

Adele. She can sing. She sing's and hits and holds notes that make you listen. Captivates you.

What voice moves you?

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Thom Yorke
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    mfc2006 said:

Thom Yorke

I can see that. Elaborate...
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Orbison FTW. My dad saw him in concert a month before the Wilburys recorded their first album.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144

mfc2006 said:

Thom Yorke

I don't want to talk boring 'technical' details, but Yorke's singing electrifies every emotional nerve in my being.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 912
    Chino from deftones. So perfectly balanced between effortless melancholy and ear piercing screams and violence. He always seems to articulate and accentuate the mood of the music so well with his vocal performances.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

mfc2006 said:

Thom Yorke

His voice truly is an amazing instrument. I know he sang in choir as a child/young man & you can hear it. His range is insane & his ability to find counter vocal melodies within the songs melody blows my mind. He also lets loose quite a bit, yet it still sounds like he has control of what he's doing.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Jeff Buckley
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Great post, tempo.
    I am not even sure of their individual names, but their voices have always been the golden standard to me. And certainly the song arrangements made a significant impact as well. When I hear this song in particular, I can close my eyes and my world becomes enchanted...
    https://youtu.be/nrzusdilnKQ
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Mark Lanegan, Morgan Freeman, and Eddie Vedder all come to mind.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Some great calls up there.

My guy and I talk about this often - how some voices just hit you with their genuineness (whether or not they're considered good by common standards). Have to say that Mercury is my ultimate.

Just pure, no bells and whistles.

Maynard, Hoon, Hendrix, Sinead, Layne, DiFranco, Cantrell. Yorke too.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Some great calls up there.

My guy and I talk about this often - how some voices just hit you with their genuineness (whether or not they're considered good by common standards). Have to say that Mercury is my ultimate.

Just pure, no bells and whistles.

Maynard, Hoon, Hendrix, Sinead, Layne, DiFranco, Cantrell. Yorke too.

I was a big Ani fan for her first couple albums with Living in Clip being one of the best live albums I've ever heard.

Hoon is one of those people that left too early so it left me wanting more.

I'm loving the choices by everyone so far!
  • Options

Great post, tempo.
    I am not even sure of their individual names, but their voices have always been the golden standard to me. And certainly the song arrangements made a significant impact as well. When I hear this song in particular, I can close my eyes and my world becomes enchanted...
    https://youtu.be/nrzusdilnKQ

Interesting choice. There are songs that I hear that I enjoy the singing then there are the three I listed that seriously make me pause.

Lanegan is an interesting choice as well as The Deftones singer.

Keep them coming! The suggestions make me want to hear their voices again.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I first read this thread last night right after watching a rerun of SNL where Adele performed. I think that was the third time seeing that performance and every time I was floored. Rick Rubin tells a story of recording Rolling in the Deep. Adele was out back in the alley chain smoking. She gets called in to record and nails that track on the first try. Rubin was blown away, as am I.

Others.... Billie Holliday, Patsy Cline, Otis Redding, Ray Charles, Etta James...
  • Options
    Gah! How could I not mention each of the Highwaymen? And Sinatra.

They just nail it.

Tiger, nice call on Otis and Ray.

Living in Clip is simply stellar, tempo.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Guy Garvey from Elbow, if you haven't heard this guy sing, do yourself a favour... Powerful and characterful. The Birds is a great track for proof of his singing talent.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Ruthie Foster, an artist who should be MUCH better known than she is. She has an amazing voice.

https://youtu.be/F2GNY3bzkwg

Covering Son House a cappella. Sorry about the idiot talking in the background.

https://youtu.be/NlStYHu6H-k

Looking for clips of her I found this one I'd never seen before, with one of my fave musicians, Jorma Kaukonen:

https://youtu.be/lwnoFJq9Usg
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Ruthie Foster is an excellent choice. I came across one of her live videos a few months ago and was happy to have made the discovery!
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,257
    edited June 2016
    Ella Fitzgerald. This is one of my favorite songs, and her voice -- wow. Her vocals begin at 2:27, pure magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX_0I-P7Bbg

Post edited by curmudgeoness on
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited June 2016
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,507

Mike Patton is my all time favorite singer due not only to his vocal range, but also the infinite styles he brings to the table. I don't love everything he's done, but certain projects keep me coming back.

Honorable mentions to Bjork, Thom Yorke, Maynard Keenan & also Mark Lanegan (coolest rock voice ever IMO...... Just saw him again on Monday, if you get a chance to see him do it)
  • Options
    Mr. Townshend - his voice makes me so happy :)
  • Options
    jburneykojburneyko Posts: 116

Mike Patton is my all time favorite singer due not only to his vocal range, but also the infinite styles he brings to the table. I don't love everything he's done, but certain projects keep me coming back.

i'll second mike patton... glad someone brought his name up.
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 696
    Tim Booth from James is one of the best examples of using a voice as an instrument, Bjork would be similar in this regard. Tom Waits is fantastic on another end of the spectrum.

More recently one of my favourites is Brittany Howard from Alabama Shakes/Thunderbitch.
  • Options
    ST66483 said:

Tim Booth from James is one of the best examples of using a voice as an instrument, Bjork would be similar in this regard. Tom Waits is fantastic on another end of the spectrum.

More recently one of my favourites is Brittany Howard from Alabama Shakes/Thunderbitch.

Booth is an interesting choice.

Brittany Howard is a phenomenal voice.

Patton is another interesting choice. He has never left the music scene and has a nice following.

Keep them coming!

Remember these are voices where u stop and pause!!!
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Louis Prima as well. That guy has such an original style.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    All my favorite singers couldn't sing - D.Berman
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495
    Glen Hansard.

• Options
    The dude who keeps us happy, and who we lovingly call The Cockroach.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPD8hbU-7Kg
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Jay from RIVAL SONS is one of the best voices I think I have heard,can he sing
    I am a dick at loading vids
  • Options
    pljam said:

Jay from RIVAL SONS is one of the best voices I think I have heard,can he sing
    I am a dick at loading vids

I have heard Rival Sons is quite good.

Love the guys from Gomez, and while catching a duet of The Beautiful People, I'd add Manson & Reznor to the list.

And apropos of nothing, but Paul Simon as well.