Options

What the FUCK ever happened to Insignificance?

Comments

• Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,883
    I would find it very strange if the lack of play has anything to do with political reasons. That's not like the band.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    BeerBaron said:

Was wondering this myself lately. This and Grievance are criminally underplayed.

the whole Binaural album actually, one that many of us fans have a lot of songs we adore, and it is like they don't want to acknowledge it's existence
  • Options
    RT287183 said:

I would find it very strange if the lack of play has anything to do with political reasons. That's not like the band.

yes exactly, that is why I am trying to figure out why it never gets played anymore, because I know why the song was written, and all those reasons then are more so now, so play the song if nothing else make a statement about the need to make love not war
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Aside from a few tracks like Thin Air, Binaural was a pretty dark album.

Maybe they're just trying to dig on lighter times as they can?

Hell, I am.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Hell, I am.

so we don't acknowledge all the people still getting killed and their lives destroyed?
  • Options

hedonist said:

Hell, I am.

so we don't acknowledge all the people still getting killed and their lives destroyed?
    Whoa Nelly!

What? That was pretty big road to try and cross - not even close to my comments here.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Hell, I am.

Whoa Nelly!

What? That was pretty big road to try and cross - not even close to my comments here.
    Pearl Jam has a legacy of standing up for what is right, life is not a bed of roses, I guess I could make believe and pretend, if that will make everyone else more comfortable
  • Options

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Hell, I am.

Whoa Nelly!

Pearl Jam has a legacy of standing up for what is right, life is not a bed of roses, I guess I could make believe and pretend, if that will make everyone else more comfortable
    They did cancel the NC show. Too far in the past to see?

Sorry, just not getting you right now. Pretending and making believe?

Alright.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Hell, I am.

Whoa Nelly!

They did cancel the NC show. Too far in the past to see?

Sorry, just not getting you right now. Pretending and making believe?

Alright.
    we are talking about people losing their lives, their families, their homes and their countries and the United States is largely responsible sorry if you can't comprehend what has been happening
    Libya
    Syria
    Iraq
    My belief is that silence and not saying anything is the same as endorsing it morally, you just don't have to catch any flack that way so that is the easy path
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    All in all,... it's no one's fault...
    Excuses turn to carbon walls...
    Blame it all on chemical intercourse.

The swallowed seeds of arrogance...
    Breeding in the thoughts of ten...
    Thousand fools that fight Irreverance.

The full moon is dead skin...
    The one down here's wearing thin...
    So set up... the ten pins.
    As the human tide rolls in...
    Like a ball that's spinning.

Bombs,... dropping down....
    Overhead,... underground...
    It's instilled...to wanna live.

Bombs,... dropping down,...
    Please forgive,..our hometown...
    In our insignificance

Turn the jukebox up, he said...
    Dancing in irreverence...
    Play C-3,... let the song protest.

The plates began to shift...
    Perfect lefts come rolling in...
    I was alone,... and far away, hey..
    When I heard the band start playin'
    On the lip...late take off

Bombs,.. dropping down...
    Overhead,.. underground...
    It's instilled...to wanna live.

Bombs,... dropping down,...
    Please forgive... our hometown...
    In our insignificance

Feel like resonance of distance...
    In the blood...the iron lies
    It's instilled... to wanna live.
  • Options
    Rave on, man. Feel whatever you feel - actually, feel free to judge me.

Mis-judging, but have at it.

It's happened before.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Rave on, man. Feel whatever you feel - actually, feel free to judge me.

Mis-judging, but have at it.

It's happened before.

The boycotted the Raleigh show in the belief that everyone deserves to live happy and free, well I feel the same
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    Look at me
  • Options
    jmug23 said:

Look at me

good job
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,675
    RT287183 said:

Same here.

It's amazing live, i was lucky enough to see it in 2013, and Eddie made it very political with no hesitation.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

RT287183 said:

Same here.

It's amazing live, i was lucky enough to see it in 2013, and Eddie made it very political with no hesitation.
    nice, I must have missed that boot, but you are right it is amazing, so just play the song, already, not played since 2014 is a tragedy, that is 32 shows in a row (excluding Bridge School shows & Oracle corporate event)
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,027
    Got thrown in the same pile with all the other insignificant filler tracks that overstayed their welcome during the album's tour and the couple of tours following it.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    mrk2 said:

Got thrown in the same pile with all the other insignificant filler tracks that overstayed their welcome during the album's tour and the couple of tours following it.

filler tracks? obviously much different tastes in music, that sounds like a standard canned response, according to your logic, they view the whole Binaural album as filler tracks, that's beyond dumb
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,791
    It's a good song and even though for me it's a middle-of-the-road Pearl Jam song musically (which means it's good anyway!) the words to Insignificant are significant and relevant and for that alone it makes darned good sense to hear it more often.

It's late- gotta keep the house quiet- but tomorrow, we rock Insignificance , Hank!

Great thread, great timing, BBH.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

It's a good song and even though for me it's a middle-of-the-road Pearl Jam song musically (which means it's good anyway!) the words to Insignificant are significant and relevant and for that alone it makes darned good sense to hear it more often.

It's late- gotta keep the house quiet- but tomorrow, we rock Insignificance , Hank!

Great thread, great timing, BBH.

thanks as always Brian
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,485
    B

on2legs said:

needs to be moved to a moving train

yeah that's just convenient, lets put it out of sight, so it's out of mind, I am use to that attitude living in America, typical and I expected at least one of these responses, and actually since it relates directly to a song and why it is not played
    You seemed to be using the song request as a jumping off point for a political discussion. That seems better suited to AMT.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,485

mrk2 said:

filler tracks? obviously much different tastes in music, that sounds like a standard canned response, according to your logic, they view the whole Binaural album as filler tracks, that's beyond dumb
    Hank... You seem to be really argumentative with people in this thread. Which kind of follows the pattern of your visits here. You start off mellow, then start a bunch of threads where you get frustrated with people and then you post that you're done with the boards for good. Why not ease off the accelerator a little and pace yourself here. Stick around awhile and enjoy this place.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    RT287183 said:

Things change when the President starts stopping by your house while on vacation
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    How about some Grievance as well! Such a great combo with Insignificance.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    The whole anti-war protests pretty much stopped eight years ago.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

mrk2 said:

Hank... You seem to be really argumentative with people in this thread. Which kind of follows the pattern of your visits here. You start off mellow, then start a bunch of threads where you get frustrated with people and then you post that you're done with the boards for good. Why not ease off the accelerator a little and pace yourself here. Stick around awhile and enjoy this place.
    whatever dude, name me one song on Binaural that gets played regularly anymore?
  • Options
    my2hands said:

RT287183 said:

Things change when the President starts stopping by your house while on vacation
    sad if that is the case, then just come out and say it, and own it, because at least that will put everything in perspective, just want to hear the song
  • Options

on2legs said:

mrk2 said:

Wait, are you miffed about your view that Binaural songs are not being played (I recall quite a few in recent shows - Of the Girl opener, even!) or the lack of one song in particular for political purposes?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

The whole anti-war protests pretty much stopped eight years ago.

Yet the amount of military sales to other countries has only increased, and people in countries are still dying and those are human beings too. If that is the case and it is defined by an association to a particular political party, just let me know now, instead of pretending, and I will just let my membership run out. Because I can't support anything hypocritical.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    hedonist said:

on2legs said:

mrk2 said:

Wait, are you miffed about your view that Binaural songs are not being played (I recall quite a few in recent shows - Of the Girl opener, even!) or the lack of one song in particular for political purposes?
    are you listening to the same shows I am? It has been played 7 times total since 2010, including one time in 2015, and one time in 2016