Can we talk about the drunks?

We've been ten club members for quite a while now (11 years?), and usually catch them at least once when they get to Philly. We've sat on the lawn in Camden and been 2nd row for one of the EV acoustic show at the Tower (thx 10C!) and everything in between. As we all know, the Phila crowds are great (although the Montreal 05 crowd was a blast too). But there's always that handful of fans that aren't there for PJ but to just drink. I can't figure out what they are doing there, but they are always there. They're a nuisance, but no harm no foul, right?

That all changed for me at Philly 1. We missed out on 10C tickets, but got section 201 through TM. Everything was fine until Porch started. I looked over to my wife who had been standing next me and she was no longer there. Some huge drunk guy literally fell from a row or two above us, cleared the people behind us, knocked my wife 2-3 rows forward and he landed in our seats. Miraculously, other than some bruises and being shaken up my wife was fine -- although we did miss the rest of the show.

It's freaking steep in the 200 level and I get that accidents happen. I also get we each have to take responsibility for ourselves and this dude was lit up. Enough so he clearly couldn't navigate the row he was standing/walking in.

The experience was incredibly scary because it could've gone much worse. How my wife didn't hit her head, or have more damage done to her is still a mystery (her foot ended up wedged between the two seats in front of us -- which probably saved her from going farther down). We'll never sit in the 200 level again at Wells Fargo.

And if the guy who had fallen wasn't drunk out of his mind, it would be easy to chalk it up to an accident. But he was. And since he was the only one to fall, it was clearly an avoidable accident.

So, as you guys prep for MSG, or the rest of this tour, or the next tour, have one less beer because you're ruining it for the rest of us.

Comments

• I call them "Even-Bros".
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838

I call them "Even-Bros".

Yup. Their idea of fun is getting wasted in the lot playing flip cup and then not remembering the show because they're puking on the seats while avoiding security.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    this is very true. My wife and I also had to deal with this in Kentucky. This fella was a complete mess, throwing is empty drink cups and lids into the stands below him, tried to start a fight with a guy in a Nirvana t-shirt ( very ugly incident, mentioned that Eddie was on stage and where is Kurt?) He was the worst person I have ever had to sit next at any event.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

I call them "Even-Bros".

lol
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    :open_mouth: .... any apologies given?

Detroit behind the stage I had 2 fellas spilling beer. Spilling whole cups of beer on the floor soaking my shoes pants. Spilling beer down my back/side area from the cups in their hands. Spitting and screaming beer in my ears and hair by time Black hit. Then I was mad as a hornet and it wasn't fun anymore. They stripped the end of that show from me and I'll never forget it. Boooooo.

They at one point took their shirts off and the camera caught them if anyone was curious if they were near by too.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • GP179117GP179117 Posts: 362
    i'm drunk right now
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Philly gonna Philly. Saw a couple people take bigtime spills. It's par to the course I think.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• kc007kc007 Posts: 282
    Wow, so glad your wife was okay. I originally had philly n1 seats in 223 and decided to sell and upgrade ( lucked out and got sec 123, row 6 on ticket drop), I know how steep that section is and even when you're not drinking its scary steep.

I think people who get too drunk should be ushered off to a padded room with a TV to watch the show, why do they always think they have the right to be as drunk as they want? They are a danger to themselves and everyone around them. At Philly 2013 show a guy next to me was so drunk and messed up, he kept falling over and leaning on me, I tried to help him as best I can, but I was there to experience the show, not to worry about some drunk and being in danger of their actions. I basically missed the entire song " come back" because he was losing it and his friend had to finally help him get out of our row. I was hoping he was gone for good. No chance, he came back with two beers and sat the rest of the show but kept falling over. I'll never take a bad seat again just to be in the building. I like being up close because there seems to be less drunks on the rail or in the expensive up front seats on stub hub. You get what you pay for I guess.
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    edited April 2016
    I usually only have a few drinks when going to a concert but our ride down from NY yesterday took a lot longer wth traffic and I drank way more then had planned. While leaving the show I totally missed a step (which was definitely from the drinking) and went down right onto a girl sitting on the aisle. I know I apologized but if you're reading this let me just say so sorry again. I'll be staying sober at MSG. lol.
    Post edited by wall232 on
    NYPJ
  • I was glad to hear that your wife was ok too. My husband and I were at Philly 1, and the guy sitting next to him was pretty wasted, and kept jostling him throughout the show. In Amsterdam in 2012, someone from the upper level dropped their beer, and it spilled all over my husband, who was sitting right under him. I will always feel badly about that, because we had recently switched seats. He was pretty upset, and as I was trying to help, I ended up missing all of "I Got Shit". ):
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,050
    I had a couple drinks each show, completely sober. I tell you what, that is some sketchy shit in those 200's. I was terrified to even drink anymore being up there. It's too freaking steep and just feels weird walking up there. Definitely will fork out more money to avoid the 200's next round....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• GP179117 said:

i'm drunk right now

:joy:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    GP179117 said:

i'm drunk right now

Laughed at this.

I don't care if people are drunk or stoned or whatever, but for the love of Pete (and Roger), don't fuck with others around you (or puke on or near them).
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    edited April 2016
    I am more concerned with the old folks!!!
    Don't forget your Old Glory Robot Insurance!!!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    Glad she's ok. I have a beer or 2 & that's it. You spend all of this money to go to a concert that you'll forget? Makes no sense.

And props to Chris for Even-Bros. haha!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    First thing, glad to hear your wife is OK, could have ended worse, thank god it didn't.

In Miami, I had the person that was going with me back out because of something family related. So, I talked my brother (51, five years older then me) into going to his first PJ show. He was never a fan, but after seeing them live, he has a new respect for the band.

We had one of the famous drunks next to us. My brother put up with all the yelling (trying to sing) and jumping up and down, knocking into him, from the drunk. But when he spilled his beer on my brother, I was like, shit, I'm going to have to bail him out of jail. My brother is a big, big boy, he got up and was about to give this a'hole a lesson. Before he could grab him, the guy got lucky and a Miami PD officer saw what was going to happen and grabbed the guy and he never came back to his seat. Which was a good thing the officer didn't let him come back to his seat. Don't know where he ended up, and don't care. Just hated that happened to my brother at his first PJ show.

If your going to drink so much that you won't remember the show, then why spend the money on a ticket to the show.
  • I've been to see other bands and got pretty wasted. I've only really liked one or two songs so wasnt too worried if i forgot anything. Bear in mind not everyone in the venue loves peal jam as much as we do
    I can understand the safety aspect though and that should never be compromised
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    edited April 2016
    I almost punched a guy Philly night 1 in sect 102 who was too drunk to find his seat so he was shoving his phone in people's faces during the show to get them to help him. I tried, but when he obviously couldn't comprehend what I was saying I told him to move along, to which he proceeded to purposely knock my hat off of my head. The only thing that stopped me from letting him have it was a) I wasn't going to let a loser like that ruin the rest of my night and 2) thinking about the footage from the MTV Singles Party with Ed saying "Don't be violent!!" LOL. EvenBros are the worst.
    Post edited by DeLukin on
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I saw more wasted people in Columbia than Greenville.
    Buzzed is fine, but the drunks are absolutely obnoxious.

In Columbia we had to leave our seats because baby Si was unhappy, that was a first for me. When we go to a show we stay in our spots from opening note to lights up and bowing... So many people out in the concourse for more songs than they are in their seats, just slugging back the beer like heathen fools. Some lady passed out on the steps leading into the seats, people sitting against the wall with their head between their knees, puke in the men's room.

I would love it if they didn't sell alcohol at concerts at all, there are always drunk idiots trying to ruin someone's night.
    If you can't enjoy the greatest show on Earth without a buzz then you are just a sad fool.
    That being said, smokers aren't 1/100th the problem drinkers are, so toke up folks, I won't mind a bit.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Yea I'll be in 200 level on Monday and if a drunk guy falls on me like that I'm pressing charges against him AND suing the venue. No patience for "Even-Bros" (that is going into my regular vocabulary lol)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    EvenBros lol I love it...and EvenHos too.
    Those girls all tarted out wearing hooker heels and Kelly Bundy dresses, with a flannel to "make it grunge", so drunk they can't walk without hanging on to each other, swaying and swerving across the concourse, all while staring at or bellowing into a phone the size of a damn etch a sketch...
  • From start to finish and on your feet sober experiencing Pearl Jam is a must.
    It's annoying when you see many people not listening to the music just wandering around or focused on anything but the concert.
    A Pearl Jam concert is not a patio pub folks.
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Posts: 2,144
    rgambs said:

EvenBros lol I love it...and EvenHos too.
    Those girls all tarted out wearing hooker heels and Kelly Bundy dresses, with a flannel to "make it grunge", so drunk they can't walk without hanging on to each other, swaying and swerving across the concourse, all while staring at or bellowing into a phone the size of a damn etch a sketch...

Now that's some funny shit!!
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,592
    I've been to a lot of cities...philly, ny, washington, detroit, st louis, chicago, indy, san diego, portland, virginia, cincy, pittsburgh, different cities in canada....philly is hands down the absolute worst for drunks. Like..no other city even comes close. I have been in the same row with someone who was peeing on the seat in front of them, several times had people throw up in the rows around me. Lots of fights. Not sure whats in the water there in philly.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    edited May 2016

From start to finish and on your feet sober experiencing Pearl Jam is a must.
    It's annoying when you see many people not listening to the music just wandering around or focused on anything but the concert.

We are in agreement for, like, the very first time lol

Although I don't begrudge a Smokey Toke, sober is a must experience as well.

Exit*
    Totally on your feet the whole time as well, start to finish.
    No pee breaks, no beer runs. Just dialed in and in the zone.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Vedd Hedd said:

I've been to a lot of cities...philly, ny, washington, detroit, st louis, chicago, indy, san diego, portland, virginia, cincy, pittsburgh, different cities in canada....philly is hands down the absolute worst for drunks. Like..no other city even comes close. I have been in the same row with someone who was peeing on the seat in front of them, several times had people throw up in the rows around me. Lots of fights. Not sure whats in the water there in philly.

Beer.
    Beer is in the water lol
  • rgambs said:

From start to finish and on your feet sober experiencing Pearl Jam is a must.

We are in agreement for, like, the very first time lol

Although I don't begrudge a Smokey Toke, sober is a must experience as well.
    Ha, agree.
    16 Shows and everyone sober!
    After the show is a different story though.

I don't mind the smokey toke either, the random waffs of smoke are etched in the memories of concert goers past.
    edited May 2016
    rgambs said:

That being said, smokers aren't 1/100th the problem drinkers are, so toke up folks, I won't mind a bit.

I couldn't agree more... Most people are vaping 420 in the shows at this point as well, eliminating 2nd hand smoke and the big clouds...
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    28 posts and not one mention of SPEEDY?

I thought for sure this thread was about him.
    edited May 2016
    EvenBros is catching on quickly!