RIP Prince

Comments

• edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Controversy introduction :naughty:

Captured by Purple Rain, but didn’t get to see any of those performances :bawling:

Finally got my chance in 1988 :rock_on:
    photo prince oakland 88aa_zpsjb7x3h9y.jpg
    And a special bonus aftershow :lucky:
    photo prince warfield 88aa_zpspyziwn4u.jpg

The aftershow was very laidback. Prince performed with his band that included the lovely Sheila E. on drums. Sheila E.’s father Pete Escovedo and her three brothers also performed. They played newer Prince material and covers.

At one point Prince was at the drum kit while Sheila E. her father and three brother where center stage in a drum line all going at it together. Drum percussion mind melt. I can’t really describe the sound and feeling. It was just so cool, a massive drum explosion.

It was pretty special to see. Bootleg is out there.

Sheila got a beat for me?

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

RKCNDY said:

I'm sorry to hear of your personal loss katwoman, it is very apparent that Prince was proud of his craft and wanted very much to share that talent to enable others to also share their art with others.
    You are lucky to have known a beautiful soul.
    May his love fill the holes left in your heart.

Thank you Rkcndy- I switched to my laptop, ya know when somebody dies and you're so tired from the day yet you can't sleep feeling. I will share that as I stood at the gate at Paisley today, frozen, with tears in my eyes, the sweetest thing happened- Prince's brother-in-law came tearing up to the gate in his car, blasted up his car stereo with Prince playing ,jumped out and said with a smile - girl;today, we dance and then he danced at the gate, it made me smile as I snapped a photo. I will post the photo tomorrow, caught him in mid twirl...LOL
    I can't wait to see the photo!

I know earlier I said I wasn't a fan, I want to clarify that it's not that I didn't like his music, it was more of I wasn't exposed to the vast collection he created. Of course I heard the radio hits, but none of my friends had his albums...I feel like I missed out.
    I'm watching the SNL special, it's not too late to start listening to everything...I have a lot to catch up on.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178

hedonist said:

^^^
    Ok, after the above post I am for sure not out of line for posting this article.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/when-fans-cry-can-you-mourn-someone-you-ve-never-met-1.2871082

You're out of line on anything political or not.
    I just hope the intent in sharing this was sincere though who knows.

Otherwise, it's kind of a fucked up thing to question, or post.
    Of course it's sincere Hedo! http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/why-it-s-so-hard-to-find-prince-s-original-music-online-1.2870601?google_editors_picks=true
    The Minnesota-born artist was always irritated with the traditional music industry, and hated the fact that even if an artist made millions with a new album, the record label that funded it would always retain full ownership rights.
    Monkeywrench.....
    I posted this when you pulled this crap in the Philly thread and apparently you need to read it again. Give learning some compassion a try, it might not be as bad as you think. Even if this didn't affect you it did effect millions world wide. Let those people process in peace.

Thinking about how we mourn artists we've never met. We don't cry because we knew them, we cry because they helped us know ourselves.

— Juliette (@ElusiveJ) January 11, 2016
    I had the privilege of meeting and knowing Prince. I will share how this came about- My ex and I are musicians, me by hobby, my ex by career as he went on and has been a guest lead guitarist for David Lee Roth, Big Brother and The Holding Company and others... Many years ago we had gigs in the warehouse district of Mpls as well as Prince, that's when we first met. Later after Prince hit it big,we needed a better soundboard but money was tight for me and hubby, so Prince being the Prince of a person that he was,let us buy his from Paisley and make small monthly payments on it. It took us three yrs, but we paid him. I cry because I knew him....

Beautiful story OMGkatwomam, that must have so nice to have met him and then knowing the way you did.

Here The Boss shows his respect in opening his show in Brooklyn with Prince's classic PR.....

http://youtu.be/KkOxeKA2WNE

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Something different, Prince performing in daylight with Tamar and Sheila E. 2006

https://youtu.be/JDGZUzGxmR4

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623

hedonist said:

^^^
    Ok, after the above post I am for sure not out of line for posting this article.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/when-fans-cry-can-you-mourn-someone-you-ve-never-met-1.2871082

You're out of line on anything political or not.
    I just hope the intent in sharing this was sincere though who knows.

Otherwise, it's kind of a fucked up thing to question, or post.
    Of course it's sincere Hedo! http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/why-it-s-so-hard-to-find-prince-s-original-music-online-1.2870601?google_editors_picks=true
    The Minnesota-born artist was always irritated with the traditional music industry, and hated the fact that even if an artist made millions with a new album, the record label that funded it would always retain full ownership rights.
    Monkeywrench.....
    I posted this when you pulled this crap in the Bowie thread and apparently you need to read it again. Give learning some compassion a try, it might not be as bad as you think. Even if this didn't affect you it did effect millions world wide. Let those people process in peace.

Thinking about how we mourn artists we've never met. We don't cry because we knew them, we cry because they helped us know ourselves.

— Juliette (@ElusiveJ) January 11, 2016

Pjfanwillneverleave needs to shut up, already. Damn!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Oh wow. Sorry if this has already been posted. But again - oh fucking wow!

Goddamn, what a beauty of a man, and musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPwm6YHmlFU
    And, again. Floored...hardwood style.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsdR8eycRys
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    edited April 2016
    Post edited by OMGkatwoman on
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    edited April 2016

^^^

I didn't know Prince...but I mourn him because of the exact reason that quote says he helped me know myself. Prince taught me to be myself and never be afraid to shine or to be who I was born to be. I've been listening to Prince literally since I was in the womb....I came out a Prince fan and I have cried to much...he was so amazing to be and had such a huge impact on my life that I just have a hard time imagining this world without him. The world is less colorful now.

Post edited by PJSiren on
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    Thursday night there was a thunder storm...that was the night of his death...my theory is it was Prince, MJ and Whitney reuniting and throwing one hell of a concert in heaven and I am certain that storm rained Purple Rain! :smiley:<3<3<3
    Tattooed Dissident!
    Prince could tell the future too.....

http://youtu.be/a1brbsqpUlU

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Thought this was very touching....and just the fact that it was the front man for Slipknot blew me away....

https://youtu.be/eoSMRJofOlo
    Tattooed Dissident!
    If it seems like we’ve lost a lot of musical icons lately, we have. Here’s the tally so far:

Scott Weiland, 48, drug overdose, December 3, 2015
    Lemmy, 70, cancer, December 28, 2015
    Robert Stigwood (manager and producer), 81, natural causes, January 4, 2016
    David Bowie, 69, liver cancer, January 10, 2016
    René Angélil (husband and manager to Celine Dion), 73, cancer, January 14, 2016
    Dale Griffin (drummer, Mott the Hoople), 67, Alzheimer’s, January 17, 2016
    Glenn Frey (Eagles), 67, complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia, January 18, 2016
    Jimmy Bain (guitarist with Rainbow and Dio, among others), 69, undiagnosed lung cancer, January 24, 2016
    Colin Vearncombe (better known as Black), 53, car crash, January 26, 2016
    Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane), 74, complications from a heart attack, January 28, 2016
    Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane), 74, COPD, January 28, 2016
    Maurice White (Earth Wind and Fire), 74, effects of Parkinsons, February 3, 2016
    Dan Hicks, 74, cancer, February 6, 2016
    Vanity (Denise Matthews, Prince protege), 67, kidney failure, February 15, 2016
    Joey Feek, 40, cervical cancer, March 4, 2016
    George Martin (Beatles producer), 90, natural causes, March 8, 2016
    Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake and Palmer), 71, suicide, March 10, 2016
    Frank Sinatra Jr, 72, cardiac arrest, March 16, 2016
    Lee Andrews (Lee Andrews & the Hearts, father of Questlove), 79, natural causes, March 16, 2016
    Phife Dawg (A Tribe Called Quest), 45, complications of diabetes, March 22, 2016
    Merle Haggard, 70, pneumonia, April 6, 2016
    Prince, 57, unknown, April 21, 2016
    Richard Lyons (Negativland), 57, nodular melanoma, April 21, 2016

Add in Gary Shandling, Harper Lee, Ken Howard, George Kennedy and Umberto Eco and it’s been a rough year in culture.

Peace

edited April 2016
    We've lost so many musical artists so far this year.....I'll dedicate one of my favorite Prince songs to them.......The Beautiful Ones

http://youtu.be/P3DaE75tEl4

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,654
    g under p said:

If it seems like we’ve lost a lot of musical icons lately, we have. Here’s the tally so far:

Glenn Frey (Eagles), 67, complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia, January 18, 2016
    Jimmy Bain (guitarist with Rainbow and Dio, among others), 69, undiagnosed lung cancer, January 24, 2016
    Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane), 74, complications from a heart attack, January 28, 2016
    Maurice White (Earth Wind and Fire), 74, effects of Parkinsons, February 3, 2016
    Lee Andrews (Lee Andrews & the Hearts, father of Questlove), 79, natural causes, March 16, 2016
    Phife Dawg (A Tribe Called Quest), 45, complications of diabetes, March 22, 2016

Add in Gary Shandling, Harper Lee, Ken Howard, George Kennedy and Umberto Eco and it’s been a rough year in culture.

Peace

Natalie Cole, Dec 31,2015 heart failure
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    https://twitter.com/wendyandlisa/status/725089225050214401
    Revolution is getting back together to honor Prince
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    I only have the 80s albums and Diamonds and Pearls so far but I've been going through chronological order on his albums on Tidal. I remember being 3 years old watching MTV while When Doves Cry was played a lot. I had a feeling it wouldn't be the last we would hear of him.

Thanks for the childhood nostalgia, purple one. RIP
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I was never a fan of prince ... But I certainly can respect his talents and all that he meant to his fans worldwide ... I find It ridiculous that there are people who feel the need to criticize those who mourn his death, and sometimes important celebrities do mean that much to people ... RIP in Prince.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon

https://twitter.com/wendyandlisa/status/725089225050214401
    Revolution is getting back together to honor Prince

That's awesome news!

- Christopher McCandless
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    these are the albums prince recorded as a Jehovahs witness to give you an idea from your perpective of your world and our world in interpretations...
    its nice to check all the lyrics...
    2003 ONWARDS AFTER HIS TRANSFORMATION...
    XPECTATION
    N.E.W.S
    MUSICOLOGY
    THE CHOCOLATE INVASION
    THE SLAUGHTER HOUSE
    PLANET EARTH
    LOTUSFLOW3R
    20 TEN
    PLECTRUMELECTRUM
    ART OFFICIAL AGE
    HIT N RUN PHASE ONE
    HIT N RUN PHASE TWO
    C-NOTE
    INDIGO NIGHTS

edited April 2016
    I just still can't wrap my head around it...like this is how I'm going to be too when Eddie passes away which I swear to God had better not be for many many years!!! But I am just so heartbroken. My grandma ordered me a T-shirt to honor him because she knows how sad I am....It's wonderful, because I said once that Prince and Pearl Jam were part of my heartbeat....and that is what the t-shirt is....

Post edited by PJSiren on
    Tattooed Dissident!
    Poncier said:

g under p said:

Peace

Natalie Cole, Dec 31,2015 heart failure
    You forgot to "add in" Alan Rickman....
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren said:

I just still can't wrap my head around it...like this is how I'm going to be too when Eddie passes away which I swear to God had better not be for many many years!!! But I am just so heartbroken. My grandma ordered me a T-shirt to honor him because she knows how sad I am....It's wonderful, because I said once that Prince and Pearl Jam were part of my heartbeat....and that is what the t-shirt is....

That's so sweet, PJS. Go, grandma!
    ^^^^^Nice shirt I wonder if they have in a male size. I went through my wardrobe and I barely have anything purple and I like the color.

Anyway even PRINCE recognizes the greatness of PJ as he covers Evenflow the instrumental way, sadly it's only audio........

http://youtu.be/9B8MJRWIV2Y

Peace

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Absolutely without a doubt one of my top 5 favorite guitar players. He played it like he stole it.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place