Why the hell did you wait so long to cancel?

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    PJINFLA said:

I love how the people who didn't have tickets to Raleigh and were not affected by the cancellation
    have all the answers. If you don't have any skin in the game you can't possibly know how those of us who do were affected. When you cause people to lose their hard earned money they are going to be pissed off and they have every right to be. I know that my view of this band has changed forever. If i ever get the chance to meet them again they will get an earful from me.

I didn't have tickets to Raleigh but have put myself in your shoes and I'd be so beyond pissed that I'm more down on Pearl Jam's politics than ever. I've been down on them. But never before have they said "Eh..fuck 'em" to the fans to get across one of their political stances.

Also, I've noticed in your signature that you've already listed the 2016 shows you've attended or intend to attend. I guess this Raleigh cancellation can be a reminder to not count your chickens before they hatch. I'll add Philly 2016 to my signature...after it happens.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JP LosmanJP Losman Posts: 149
    Its a slap in the face to the progressive community to only focus on this one issue in this one state by this means and ignore everything that happens everywhere else by equal measures. That is what you get when you do something like extreme like cancelling on short notice. You open yourself up to this type of criticism. And that's fair. They took a cowards route which also conveniently gave them a bump in terms of their image outside of NC. aka...it was grandstanding. They can prove it wasn't by fighting all the other bad laws and policies with similar tactics. But we know they won't.
  • stevedsteved Posts: 657
    I am not condoning, endorsing or condemning them for the decision to play or not play and for when they decided to play. I am simply offering information that was passed along to me.

Apparently If you cancel within the 48 window the Union workers still will get to be paid.

Yes I know that is no help to the fans who got left hanging with last minute cancellations. Again I am just offering information.
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    edited April 2016
    JP Losman said:

Its a slap in the face to the progressive community to only focus on this one issue in this one state by this means and ignore everything that happens everywhere else by equal measures. That is what you get when you do something like extreme like cancelling on short notice. You open yourself up to this type of criticism. And that's fair. They took a cowards route which also conveniently gave them a bump in terms of their image outside of NC. aka...it was grandstanding. They can prove it wasn't by fighting all the other bad laws and policies with similar tactics. But we know they won't.

So you're saying they were cowards?
    That they were grandstanding??
    Man, I know it sucks fans got screwed but you try and stand up for something you believe is wrong in the world and look at the thanks you get.
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 444

Also, I've noticed in your signature that you've already listed the 2016 shows you've attended or intend to attend. I guess this Raleigh cancellation can be a reminder to not count your chickens before they hatch. I'll add Philly 2016 to my signature...after it happens.

Same here! I won't add MSG or Fenway until they happen. I feel like I would be jinxing something.

1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
    2024: 9/3 MSG 1, 9/4 MSG 2 , 9/15 Fenway 1, 9/17 Fenway 2
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    eddiec said:

JP Losman said:

Man, I know it sucks fans got screwed but you try and stand up for something you believe is wrong in the world and look at the thanks you get.
    They could have stood up for something they believe and still play for the 15.000 people they once said they would play for, who by that agreement took out vaccation, booked hotel rooms and bought airplane tickets.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    eddiec said:

JP Losman said:

You think the band was standing up to something? You think the band gave up anything meaningful in their protest? Hell no. Ed just wanted to be sure he could hold his head up high at the next rock star gathering. So what if they lost a few hundred fans at most? Means nothing. By the time they get to the encore in Columbia they would have made up their losses in Raleigh. PJ didn't do anything special other than using their fans in their political agenda.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859

eddiec said:

JP Losman said:

You think the band was standing up to something? You think the band gave up anything meaningful in their protest? Hell no. Ed just wanted to be sure he could hold his head up high at the next rock star gathering. So what if they lost a few hundred fans at most? Means nothing. By the time they get to the encore in Columbia they would have made up their losses in Raleigh. PJ didn't do anything special other than using their fans in their political agenda.

So you're a fan of a band that you think are absolute assholes.
  • JP LosmanJP Losman Posts: 149
    I do stand up. I often don't get thanks. You don't do this work for getting thanks and pats on the back. You make real sacrifice and do it because you believe in it and perhaps how it makes you feel on the inside. Sometime you get appreciation from others but it is rare.

Yes, they took the easy route. They were cowards. Or perhaps they really are courageous but if so, show that you mean it and go all in. Otherwise it reeks of a pathetic attempt to boost your public image. They made a mistake just as Eddie made a mistake advocating so hard for Nader before (not seeing the bigger picture). I don't think the band paid attention to the details and nuances of how to the law would be repealed logistically. They did what was best for them first and foremost, not what was best for the fans or for overturning the law.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    steved said:

I am not condoning, endorsing or condemning them for the decision to play or not play and for when they decided to play. I am simply offering information that was passed along to me.

Apparently If you cancel within the 48 window the Union workers still will get to be paid.

Yes I know that is no help to the fans who got left hanging with last minute cancellations. Again I am just offering information.

that's interesting... I would love to know if that is indeed true
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    eddiec said:

eddiec said:

JP Losman said:

I completely agree with him. But I don't think he's saying they're absolute assholes. He's saying that on this occasion, they were at least being inconsiderate and at worst being assholes. But that's okay. We all have friends or family members that have been assholes to us at one time or another so for your favorite band to do it isn't all that bad in the grand scheme of things.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • adamg5adamg5 Posts: 802
    eddiec said:

eddiec said:

JP Losman said:

More of an Ahole move
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited April 2016

PJINFLA said:

I love how the people who didn't have tickets to Raleigh and were not affected by the cancellation
    have all the answers. If you don't have any skin in the game you can't possibly know how those of us who do were affected. When you cause people to lose their hard earned money they are going to be pissed off and they have every right to be. I know that my view of this band has changed forever. If i ever get the chance to meet them again they will get an earful from me.

Some of us without tickets have had skin in the game our entire lives. This law and the backwards culture behind it are deplorable. I've lived 44 years suffering prejudice and bullying. You missed a rock concert. If you're looking for sympathy I suggest you get out your dictionary and search between shit and syphilis.
    99% of us have a problem with the TIMING of the cancelation, not the cancelation itself... nobody is on here supporting the law or justifying the experiences you have had in your life, we are all on the same team here for the most part... and lets be honest, this concert was not the straw that broke the back, or the line in the sand, on the LGBT issue/civil rights so lets not act like this was some monumental event...

with 48 hours to go I would have played the show... donated every $ to the cause (which is a healthy amount)... and used my celebrity and megaphone to go on local radio speaking out against the bill... they chose to fly to the next hotel suite instead
    Post edited by my2hands on
    my2hands said:

PJINFLA said:

Some of us without tickets have had skin in the game our entire lives. This law and the backwards culture behind it are deplorable. I've lived 44 years suffering prejudice and bullying. You missed a rock concert. If you're looking for sympathy I suggest you get out your dictionary and search between shit and syphilis.
    99% of us have a problem with the TIMING of the cancelation, not the cancelation itself... nobody is on here supporting the law or justifying the experiences you have had in your life, we are all on the same team here for the most part... and lets be honest, this concert was not the straw that broke the back, or the line in the sand, on the LGBT issue/civil rights so lets not act like this was some monumental event...

with 48 hours to go I would have played the show... donated every $ to the cause (which is a healthy amount)... and used my celebrity and megaphone to go on local radio speaking out against the bill... they chose to fly to the next hotel suite instead

Word!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,898

It makes me wonder if the band even realizes what travel schedules are like for people. They've had their 5 star hotels booked for them and private travel for years. They maybe don't realize there are things like "non-refundable reservations" that come down to a day or two notice or no notice at all, they're just non refundable and already paid.

I really think you may be correct. The band members probably haven't booked their own travel in decades. Maybe they think two days notice is plenty of advance warning. Their world is so different than ours. They might have no clue about change fees, non-refundable tickets etc. It is an interesting theory at least.
    Why wouldn't the band members book their own personal travel? They aren't royalty, lol. Of course they would research their vacations and shit. Pretty sure they understand how it works.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    adamg5 said:

my2hands said:

PJINFLA said:

Word!
    Exactly. I have no "skin" in this game, but to me it appears to be the easy way out. (I was not going to this show). Play the show and donate all the funds from the show to whomever could use it best to repeal the law. Make a press conference before the show to draw national attention. Use your voice before, during and after the show to voice your opinion and to make people aware. You would have had a captive audience of 20,000 people. Much easier to walk away than to stay and fight. My humble opinion is that they could have had a much stronger impact by staying and rallying for the cause. Just my humble opinion.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    edited April 2016
    eddiec said:

eddiec said:

JP Losman said:

People make mistakes sometimes. Usually they don't impact 15,000 people though. I'm not a far left liberal that hates and wants to extinguish everything from my life that isn't 100% in line with my views.

It is funny to me how close minded people are when they think you can only listen to music where you agree with all of the lyrics. They think they are the open minded ones though. Go figure. Normally when I disagree with Pearl Jam I at least respect their position and that they care so much. This instance though smells of poor decision making and grandstanding. And this time I'll call them out on it.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    ComeToTX said:

mcgruff10 said:

ComeToTX said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

If things are non refundable that means those flights/hotels/etc were paid for in advance. Instead of losing that money why not just go to Raleigh and make the best of it?

Trying to cut losses perhaps on a trip they never would have taken if not for PJ. Maybe they got the hotel refunded, or saved on the rental car/uber trips. Maybe they saved on not needing a babysitter.
    so you'd fly to a city you wouldn't go to if not for pj playing there? that just seems really odd to me. and yeah i've been to raleigh and it's good to visit for 1/2 nights. (no more)
    A lot of us do that. I've been to plenty of towns I wouldn't otherwise go to. Some were cool and some were absolute shitholes. When they play your hometown once a decade you don't have a choice if you want to see them.
    very true my friend. i'm still waiting to visit texas. remind me which cities to avoid just in case they cancel!
    Nowhere is safe here if they're canceling shows over state laws.
    Maybe Austin is safe (and weird!)
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • SM192077SM192077 Posts: 3
    I hope they see the sign I bring to Ottawa that reads . . . There are some really bad laws here in Canada . . .WHY PLAY HERE ! ! !
    SM192077 said:

I hope they see the sign I bring to Ottawa that reads . . . There are some really bad laws here in Canada . . .WHY PLAY HERE ! ! !

Ya but is Springsteen against those laws?
  • Ed apologized for the band... can we be past this now?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Yes, they took the easy route. They were cowards. Or perhaps they really are courageous but if so, show that you mean it and go all in. Otherwise it reeks of a pathetic attempt to boost your public image
    Pearl Jam was *most* interested in making national headlines for the first time in 15 years. Or so sayeth all the comedians at work who like to pile on.
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Much easier to walk away than to stay and fight. My humble opinion is that they could have had a much stronger impact by staying and rallying for the cause.
    What's worse is that Pearl Jam, with the Raleigh cancellation, forced me into the uncomfortable position of being in league with Mumford & Sons, Cyndi Lauper and Jimmy Buffett, three acts who honored their tour commitments in N.C. and donated money to charity.

Oh well, at least Against Me! won't cancel on me in May!
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    edited April 2016
    my2hands said:

PJINFLA said:

I respect your opinion, but I will say this to your points:

a) While I agree that most people on here oppose the law, I don't believe that they feel as strongly against the law as the band does, and certainly don't understand/appreciate the gravity of the law as those directly impacted by it. Had this been a law to restrict the rights of, say, white males in the state, I have a feeling a lot more people on here would be railing against the state lawmakers rather than the band. Yes, I know that the timing sucked and all that, but bottom line is it just wouldn't have been right to have played the show at all, and if folks on here were the ones facing discrimination and loss of rights because of the law, I believe they would have been pleading with the band not to play the show for many weeks leading up to it. Just because those affected are not *us* and represent only a small majority of the population, doesn't make it any more excusable to play a show that the band really had no business even considering playing.

b) The "healthy amount" they could have donated is pennies compared to the overall impact they can have by denying tourist dollars to the state, not only from this single show, but by other businesses and artists hopefully following suit and doing the same. As large and powerful as the Pearl Jam institution is, it makes it a lot easier for other artists to follow in their footsteps in the weeks/months to come. I think a lot of people are looking at this as a single action meant for a single impact, but I'm pretty certain it was done with a much, much larger picture/movement in mind -- one that, if successful, can absolutely crush the state's economy to such an extent that lawmakers will have no choice but to overturn the bill. As for going on local radio and speaking out, again it would have been a nice gesture, but I guarantee it would not have generated the 887 articles that their decision to boycott has generated according to Google News.

Again, I understand the frustration and disappointment by the timing and cancellation as a whole, but let's at least understand that the band's decision to boycott made (or has the potential to make, at least) a FAR greater impact than if they had gone on with the show as planned, and to those who are directly affected by this bill or who greatly care about the deprivation of rights it creates, it was therefore easily the right thing to do.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Posts: 1,901
    my2hands said:

PJINFLA said:

They actually stayed overnight at the Four Seasons...
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,592
    edited April 2016
    North Carolina has lost 200 million in revenue due to the multiple cancellations. Since the cancellation was within 48 hours of the show, union workers still got paid.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • PearlybakerPearlybaker Posts: 217
    edited April 2016
    So they were concerned about union workers getting paid but not about their fans losing travel and vacation pay? Doesn't make sense, I think a lot of PJ fans are also union members, you would have to think the band is equally concerned about working families whether they come from Raleigh or Ohio.
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • otterotter Posts: 760
    They play states where voters choose against gay marriage but refuse a state where politicians passed a law against cross dressers.
    I found my place......and it's alright

So they were concerned about union workers getting paid but not about their fans losing travel and vacation pay? Doesn't make sense, I think a lot of PJ fans are also union members, you would have to think the band is equally concerned about working families whether they come from Raleigh or Ohio.

Nailed it!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,898
    edited April 2016
    SM192077 said:

That's really dumb.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata