Why the hell did you wait so long to cancel?

Comments

• adamg5 said:

adamg5 said:

This is thread pretty much sums up exactly how I feel. I really hope the law changes because it's BS, but PJ really screwed a lot of fans by waiting so long to cancel IMHO. I don't get it and I totally understand how the cancellation, ruined the Hampton show for some. I do not feel I'm quite ready to have fun at a show yet knowing so many fans got the rug pulled out from underneath them....

I feel the same way. I was so looking forward to the Philly 1 show, but now my enthusiasm has dimmed due to how sorry I am feeling for the fans who were only given 2 days notice about the Raleigh cancellation.
    Go to Lost Dogs and sell your tix.
    FV of course.
    Someone will be very happy and will bring it to the show.
    Who said the ones at the moment feel dimmed because so many fans lost time, money, etc won't still bring it when the time comes?
    That's they way a lot of us feel and others don't think it ain't no big deal that others lost out. I for one didn't buy tix to the show, take time off work, plan a schedule for someone to watch my kids while I'm out of my home state, lose money on a hotel. But a lot of people did and it's brought down moral.

If we decide to sell our tix to upcoming shows its up to the ones who purchased them with their hard earned money.
    Exactly. I don't plan to sell my tickets, and will still attend Philly 1. However, at this point in time I don't feel as excited about the show as I normally would. I'm just feeling kind of sad.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    edited January 2018
    Post edited by dogtown on
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Posts: 4,830
    dogtown said:

I appreciate the empathy from those of you who can see what a disappointment this is for people with tickets. You'd feel even worse if you could see the Raleigh Ramada. I'm not happy to be here for no reason, but I did get a chance to speak to a local at a bar last night about HB2. When she casually mentioned that she's transgender, I asked her opinion on bands canceling shows. She said that she'd rather see them play the shows they had scheduled and donate the money so that local workers and fans don't get screwed over. She also explained just how discriminatory the law is, and not just towards LGBT people. It's a shitty law and I stand behind opposing it, just would have loved a week or two to get over this cancellation.

Is it empty? I was supposed to stay there, luckily still had 6 hours to cancel after the announcement was made
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,898
    JimmyV said:

If we're taking Eddie at his word I think we already know. For a while they thought they could play the show and make some donations, but as it drew closer the band decided it couldn't go through with that. I'm fine with accepting that as the explanation but will always believe the indecisiveness impacted fans unnecessarily.

Yeah, seems the question was answered.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,404
    edited April 2016
    If things are non refundable that means those flights/hotels/etc were paid for in advance. Instead of losing that money why not just go to Raleigh and make the best of it?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,276
    Calling Kelly Curtis calling Kelly Curtis uhmm no answer ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,898
    mcgruff10 said:

If things are non refundable that means those flights/hotels/etc were paid for in advance. Instead of losing that money why not just go to Raleigh and make the best of it?

Yeah, it couldn't be that bad a place, could it?? Crazy that some would apparently rather lose a bunch of money than visit Raleigh, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, it couldn't be that bad a place, could it?? Crazy that some would apparently rather lose a bunch of money than visit Raleigh, lol.
    MOST of us don't bite!
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    camsjam said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

MOST of us don't bite!
    And mac & cheese is a vegetable option on alot of menus
  • dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    edited January 2018

Post edited by dogtown on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    mcgruff10 said:

Trying to cut losses perhaps on a trip they never would have taken if not for PJ. Maybe they got the hotel refunded, or saved on the rental car/uber trips. Maybe they saved on not needing a babysitter.

mcgruff10 said:

Trying to cut losses perhaps on a trip they never would have taken if not for PJ. Maybe they got the hotel refunded, or saved on the rental car/uber trips. Maybe they saved on not needing a babysitter.
    so you'd fly to a city you wouldn't go to if not for pj playing there? that just seems really odd to me. and yeah i've been to raleigh and it's good to visit for 1/2 nights. (no more)
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

so you'd fly to a city you wouldn't go to if not for pj playing there? that just seems really odd to me. and yeah i've been to raleigh and it's good to visit for 1/2 nights. (no more)
    A lot of us do that. I've been to plenty of towns I wouldn't otherwise go to. Some were cool and some were absolute shitholes. When they play your hometown once a decade you don't have a choice if you want to see them.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    ComeToTX said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

A lot of us do that. I've been to plenty of towns I wouldn't otherwise go to. Some were cool and some were absolute shitholes. When they play your hometown once a decade you don't have a choice if you want to see them.
    very true my friend. i'm still waiting to visit texas. remind me which cities to avoid just in case they cancel!
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I would. If not for PJ I would probably just take some golf trips for my vacations instead, or visit some more interesting places/countries. I didn't cancel a flight, but I did cut short my vacation four days early and skipped Columbia on Thursday. I was planning to work from the hotel and go to the shows. A lot of people only see the pre-party venue and venue parking lot for the GA / merch line when they go see PJ.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    mcgruff10 said:

ComeToTX said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

very true my friend. i'm still waiting to visit texas. remind me which cities to avoid just in case they cancel!
    Nowhere is safe here if they're canceling shows over state laws.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • scornlanderscornlander Posts: 98
    edited April 2016

It makes me wonder if the band even realizes what travel schedules are like for people. They've had their 5 star hotels booked for them and private travel for years. They maybe don't realize there are things like "non-refundable reservations" that come down to a day or two notice or no notice at all, they're just non refundable and already paid.

I really think you may be correct. The band members probably haven't booked their own travel in decades. Maybe they think two days notice is plenty of advance warning. Their world is so different than ours. They might have no clue about change fees, non-refundable tickets etc. It is an interesting theory at least.
    Post edited by scornlander on
  • scornlanderscornlander Posts: 98
    edited April 2016

-
    Post edited by scornlander on
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859

It makes me wonder if the band even realizes what travel schedules are like for people. They've had their 5 star hotels booked for them and private travel for years. They maybe don't realize there are things like "non-refundable reservations" that come down to a day or two notice or no notice at all, they're just non refundable and already paid.

I really think you may be correct. The band members probably haven't booked their own travel in decades. Maybe they think two days notice is plenty of advance warning. Their world is so different than ours. They might have no clue about change fees, non-refundable tickets etc. It is an interesting theory at least.
    They don't live on another planet. I'm pretty sure they know what cancellation fees are. Just like they know what curfew fees are.

• eddiec said:

They don't live on another planet. I'm pretty sure they know what cancellation fees are. Just like they know what curfew fees are.

Maybe in a general sense. They know people were inconvenienced but I doubt they fully understand to what degree. In any case Eddie's net worth is $80 million. I doubt that he can empathize with the average fan who got screwed by this.

• adamg5adamg5 Posts: 802
    edited April 2016
    I flew to Mexico City last year only because it was close to me. Had no intentions other than watching them play. Not odd to me at all.
    Besides I think for some scoring GAs to Raleigh where the odds were significantly higher than msg etc so it made sense at the time for some to get that GA experience.
    Post edited by adamg5 on
    edited April 2016

eddiec said:

Maybe in a general sense. They know people were inconvenienced but I doubt they fully understand to what degree. In any case Eddie's net worth is $80 million. I doubt that he can empathize with the average fan who got screwed by this.

Clearly he can't because they canceled two days prior at about the time where it would hurt their traveling funs the most. They need to apologize not for canceling, but for not canceling sooner. They need to acknowledge that. But they won't because Bruce canceled two days out and an apology would make it seem like Bruce made a bad decision and they won't let that happen.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 729
    I love how the people who didn't have tickets to Raleigh and were not affected by the cancellation
    have all the answers. If you don't have any skin in the game you can't possibly know how those of us who do were affected. When you cause people to lose their hard earned money they are going to be pissed off and they have every right to be. I know that my view of this band has changed forever. If i ever get the chance to meet them again they will get an earful from me.
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    NC is a great state. Go enjoy some BBQ. Go watch a Hornets playoff game over in Charlotte. Haven't been to NC in years but i always had fun in NC and SC
  • adamg5adamg5 Posts: 802
    PJINFLA said:

I love how the people who didn't have tickets to Raleigh and were not affected by the cancellation
    have all the answers. If you don't have any skin in the game you can't possibly know how those of us who do were affected. When you cause people to lose their hard earned money they are going to be pissed off and they have every right to be. I know that my view of this band has changed forever. If i ever get the chance to meet them again they will get an earful from me.

I didn't have tickets but I agree, it was a d#%k move cancelling on such short notice. I'm still in awe at what they did...

• OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    PJINFLA said:

Some of us without tickets have had skin in the game our entire lives. This law and the backwards culture behind it are deplorable. I've lived 44 years suffering prejudice and bullying. You missed a rock concert. If you're looking for sympathy I suggest you get out your dictionary and search between shit and syphilis.
  • JP LosmanJP Losman Posts: 149

PJINFLA said:

Some of us without tickets have had skin in the game our entire lives. This law and the backwards culture behind it are deplorable. I've lived 44 years suffering prejudice and bullying. You missed a rock concert. If you're looking for sympathy I suggest you get out your dictionary and search between shit and syphilis.
    Do you think its deplorable not being able to vote? If so, then get off your high horse and tell the band to cancel tonight's show for SC's deplorable voter suppression.
    edited April 2016
    I'm on no high horse. The better analogy would have been to ask me off of the cross because you need the wood. I'm just shocked how angry so many people around here are over missing a rock concert that the band cancelled in hopes of bringing a change for good. So much selfishness spewed from people who thrive on music that is steeped in love. It's like many of you like the beat but have never heard the lyrics. I have always assumed there was a culture of inclusiveness at PJ shows but after reading all the vitriol on these boards for the past week I can see that I have been mistaken. People are assholes. The entire lot of us. Have you not seen the idiots trying to threaten a class action lawsuit? It's disgusting and I'm stupid and clearly have too much time on my hands if I'm speaking out.
    Post edited by OceansMagnet on
  • JP LosmanJP Losman Posts: 149
    Yea, and there are people like you that are so dismissive of the plight of the poor blacks in states like SC that are experiencing voter suppression. It's a very similar situation to NC in that its a bad state law. So do all you can do to get the state to repeal it. If not, the band is a hypocrite or doesn't care about poor black people.
    edited April 2016
    Glad you know me so well. I am a progressive who was raised in Louisiana and resides in Tennessee. I've fought against voter suppression my entire life. This NC law is an experiment on a new trick these asshats are trying to pass all across the South. There are many battles to fight and pointing to one that the band isn't on the forefront of is pointless in our discussion.