For those traveling to Raleigh how much did this intentional cancellation by PJ cost you?

124»

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,404

DR295987 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

DR295987 said:

Wma31394 said:

DR295987 said:

flew in Monday before cancel with the wife and return flight is thursday. so I'm out $600 for flights... $130/night for hotels. $150 gor car rental plus food etc. well over a grand because they waited to cancel.

I will be talking to a lawyer about this... if they can protest so can i....

Sounds like your about to waste a lot more money talking to lawyers..your with your wife..go out and have a good time. You don't need the show
    who says to need to pay for the lawyer? got one in the family...and enough people are affected it may be big enough for a class action
    This is the dumbest shit I've read so far today. Get a grip dude.
    Dumbest shit I ve read in a few years. Class action suit over a canceled show? Pearl jam didn't force you to cancel your vacation!
    no but I'd have no reason to be here other than their show.
    Well Sir, that's an outright lie. Check your post history. You tried for 7 shows, and stated you would go to Raliegh since you're wanting to live in that area. Glad you're going to burn those Fenway tickets.

**remember this**

The wife and i are there... killing 2 birds with one stone as we're scouting the area to move there.

in Raleigh Roll Call
    Comment by DR295987
    April 7

game set match. spectacular research skills my friend!!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MonkeyDan72MonkeyDan72 Posts: 682
    *walks into sunset whistling Olé*
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,531
    PJ_Soul said:

DR295987 said:

PJ_Soul said:

DR295987 said:

Wma31394 said:

DR295987 said:

flew in Monday before cancel with the wife and return flight is thursday. so I'm out $600 for flights... $130/night for hotels. $150 gor car rental plus food etc. well over a grand because they waited to cancel.

Sounds like your about to waste a lot more money talking to lawyers..your with your wife..go out and have a good time. You don't need the show
    who says to need to pay for the lawyer? got one in the family...and enough people are affected it may be big enough for a class action
    right it's ok for the band to stand up for their rights but god forbid a fan does... talk about hypocrisy... notice not a single word to the fans who got screwed ...not one other than we know it hurts...yeah right...try working for 9.00 an hour Eddie instead of the 90,000 an hour you actually get
    :lol: That isn't standing up for your rights (what right are you talking about???). It's just being a litigious whiner. You are an American stereotype right now, sorry.
    I am a lawyer, with PJ photos up in the wall of my office. Even I would want no part of this and though you're free to hit up your family/member friend, I'd highly encourage you not to, namely because:

1) For a class action, the "class" first needs to be "certified" by a court - and no judge is going to certify that class;

2) Every ticket has a revokable "licence" clause - think of it like being given a pass to enter somewhere, a pass that can be removed and have you kicked out immediate (for being drunk, etc..), this is somewhat distinct from the cancellation, but I would expect there is a clause saying it can be cancelled for any reason

3) Conflicts of laws - your contact may practice in another state, and inter jurisdictional issues can be a nightmare in terms of costs and logistics.

Depending on the contract, I could see the venue sue PJ or the venue's insurer brining a surrogated claim against PJ, but I'm sorry to say, you're likely out of luck. If you had insured the trip, then you might have a claim with the insurer, but class action, no way.

I imagine your friend/family member likely bills in the rage of $300 to $500 per hour. While him/her may do it for you as a "favour" that means you are impliedly asking him/her to forgo a few hundred dollars of otherwise billable time to consider it (or time out of his/her VALUABLE downtime/social time (...that time where we need to unplug completely from the law to retain our sanity)....hell at my rate, it just cost about $80 to write this post. My advice would be to save the goodwill you have with this friend/family member for a real tragedy when you do need a lawyer.

1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 444
    DR295987 said:

not going to.boston... done with their hypocrisy

Right. SEE YOU in Boston!

1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
    2024: 9/3 MSG 1, 9/4 MSG 2 , 9/15 Fenway 1, 9/17 Fenway 2
  • jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    If PJ knew that everyone travels to get to their shows, they'd probably be happier just setting up a residency in one town for a month or two rather than carting their gear and everything around the country like they are playing for locals.
  • SD63653SD63653 Posts: 66
    It was a very easy cancel for PJ. My only thought, it was too late, and hurt fans. They could have done it weeks before.....not sure what that says, but it says something
  • smaksmak Posts: 232
    edited April 2016
    $90,000? When did Eddie take a paycut?
    Post edited by smak on
  • PJam82PJam82 Posts: 107
    I love the band and generally stand with them in their political beliefs as a Californian....still, people have the right to vent about this. It's astounding to me that some of you will turn this into a witch hunt for the people that feel they got ripped off either directly, or indirectly. They have a tremendous reason to be upset.

Imagine the outrage if this occurred in Boston for the Fenway shows. People would be absolutely livid. It's not even a thought, but how much would someone traveling to see those shows be out? But, since it's NC, everyone is just kinda "Oh well....that's PJ.....get over it....can't wait for the East Coast shows "

People should be upset, this sets an ugly precedent.
  • SD63653SD63653 Posts: 66
    Should be upset yes. But wouldn't happen in most states. As most states aren't this...... Well. Non progressive. Still should have cancelled weeks before
  • smaksmak Posts: 232
    edited April 2016
    pjinfla said:

Bingo. Some of us can compartmentalize politics and popular entertainment. Eddie and Co. cannot, but some of us are capable.

All the keyboard activists and Pearl Jam sycophants on this forum sure are sore winners. You got what you wanted, yet you still poke at those fans who lost out on April 20.

Losing this show as part of a last-minute publicity stunt really fucking stings, and it's going to take time to heal.

Your problem is in thinking this is politics.
    Post edited by smak on
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Posts: 614
    edited April 2016
    Wma31394 said:

I was wondering the same..post some figures guys..

The good thing (however minute it is) in my scenario is that I still got to see the Hampton show....however, the cancellation was announced less than one hour before the doors opened in Hampton and that killed the mood for us. The fact that I was attending two shows was the ONLY way I could justify spending so much money to fly from Seattle to the east coast. Excluding the tickets to the cancelled show which I will be refunded, I spent money on 10c tickets for the Hampton show, $600 on airfare to Raleigh, $250 on car rental so that I could drive to the Hampton show then back to Raleigh for that show, $50 airport parking in Seattle, roughly $140 on food, and thankfully only one night of lodging for $113 since I know people in VA. The airline refused to let me change my return flight without penalty, so I had no choice but to stay. If it hadn't been for knowing someone here, I would have had to shell out $300 more for lodging. If the airline had been more cooperative, I would have delayed the return and gone to the Columbia show so that it would have been a less painful consequence. They refused to budge and wanted me to pay an extra $700 to change two tickets and pay a fare increase. I couldn't afford that, so I've been idling in VA until my flight home. This nightmare can't end fast enough for me.
    Post edited by ZeldaZonk on
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Posts: 1,375
    In Raleigh now wishing I could stay for tmw's show in Columbia. But I have to work, unfortunately. I'm staying with a friend here tonight so no extra cost for lodging/travel. The only thing for me was the additional 4 days off of work which is minuscule when compared to others here. I'm just grateful that I was able to see them in JAX and VSville!!

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great show tomorrow....I'll be periscoping and rocking out from the airport!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • scottjf8scottjf8 Posts: 36

It cost me my virginity. It's a long story but damn you PJ!

No dude you can't drop this shit and leave. We wanna hear the story. Hopefully it's more interesting than people bitching about the canceled show
  • scornlanderscornlander Posts: 98
    edited April 2016
    mwplum said:

PJ_Soul said:

DR295987 said:

PJ_Soul said:

DR295987 said:

Wma31394 said:

DR295987 said:

right it's ok for the band to stand up for their rights but god forbid a fan does... talk about hypocrisy... notice not a single word to the fans who got screwed ...not one other than we know it hurts...yeah right...try working for 9.00 an hour Eddie instead of the 90,000 an hour you actually get
    :lol: That isn't standing up for your rights (what right are you talking about???). It's just being a litigious whiner. You are an American stereotype right now, sorry.
    I am a lawyer, with PJ photos up in the wall of my office. Even I would want no part of this and though you're free to hit up your family/member friend, I'd highly encourage you not to, namely because:

1) For a class action, the "class" first needs to be "certified" by a court - and no judge is going to certify that class;

2) Every ticket has a revokable "licence" clause - think of it like being given a pass to enter somewhere, a pass that can be removed and have you kicked out immediate (for being drunk, etc..), this is somewhat distinct from the cancellation, but I would expect there is a clause saying it can be cancelled for any reason

3) Conflicts of laws - your contact may practice in another state, and inter jurisdictional issues can be a nightmare in terms of costs and logistics.

Depending on the contract, I could see the venue sue PJ or the venue's insurer brining a surrogated claim against PJ, but I'm sorry to say, you're likely out of luck. If you had insured the trip, then you might have a claim with the insurer, but class action, no way.

I imagine your friend/family member likely bills in the rage of $300 to $500 per hour. While him/her may do it for you as a "favour" that means you are impliedly asking him/her to forgo a few hundred dollars of otherwise billable time to consider it (or time out of his/her VALUABLE downtime/social time (...that time where we need to unplug completely from the law to retain our sanity)....hell at my rate, it just cost about $80 to write this post. My advice would be to save the goodwill you have with this friend/family member for a real tragedy when you do need a lawyer.
    Thank you for your post. Very interesting. Straight from the horse's mouth!
    Post edited by scornlander on
  • myoung321 said:

DR295987 said:

Was your coffee too hot as well??? No one forced you to travel ... it was your choice.

and don't worry, you don't have to pay me $175 an hour to advise you that the vast ridiculousness of this nonsense is heart breaking but still nonsense... or you can pay the receptionist on your way out..

But Hey... you're a real pillar of the community!!!!!!!! Congrats! Way to stand with the band you "love" and it's members.

Show #1 Amsterdam 2014- Ed's leg was so screwed up he couldn't hardly walk while on stage.. Guess we should have sued him for not performing up to normal expectations.

common sense left you long ago.
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • DR295987 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

DR295987 said:

Wma31394 said:

DR295987 said:

Dumbest shit I ve read in a few years. Class action suit over a canceled show? Pearl jam didn't force you to cancel your vacation!
    no but I'd have no reason to be here other than their show.
    Well Sir, that's an outright lie. Check your post history. You tried for 7 shows, and stated you would go to Raliegh since you're wanting to live in that area. Glad you're going to burn those Fenway tickets.

**remember this**

The wife and i are there... killing 2 birds with one stone as we're scouting the area to move there.

in Raleigh Roll Call
    Comment by DR295987
    April 7

:clap:

hello foot, welcome to mouth
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV