Options

Hampton Horrible

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

I guess the only complaint I would have about last night is that you could tell a lot of people had Raleigh on their mind, as the shock factor was still there by the time the show started

Great setlist though

I tried watching on periscope... but was just not in the mood and shut it off pretty quickly... which is odd and not a feeling I would have expected.

With that said.... looking at the set list, it isnt/wasnt my kind of show. Lots of valleys and few peaks IMO. Some pretty long stretches that would have been too much of a slowdown. Encores had nothing really special.
    The first encore was incredible. I know everyone has different tastes, but comeback, sad, lightning bolt, in my tree, breath,DTE and porch!

• Options
    sxysadiesxysadie Posts: 43
    There was so much hype for the Hampton show I am not sure that it could ever have lived up to peoples expectations. I know two newbies that went to the show who said it was the best concert they have ever been to. Being a die hard fan, it wasn't the best show I have ever seen. I had a couple in front of me making out the entire show and the women next to them was face timing the show for some doofy looking guy. That was very distracting. I thought the energy was great except for the row in front of me and the second set was amazing. Disappointed in my 10club seats but at least I was there.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
    well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride! -Unknown
  • Options
    ceeg999ceeg999 Posts: 1
    This show was really good! They played lots of great songs!

I will say that the fans in the GA pit are a little to psycho in terms of pushing people. Some fans need to lighten up and not be aggressive with obvious other huge fans of the band. Some of these folks really need to get a grip. Besides being manhandled by several people, (I'm a petite girl, 5 ft tall, and I just wanted to see the band), the show was amazing. I hope people can be a more kind to other members of the 10 Ten Club.

Eddie rocks!
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632

You are probably right and I hope everyone is back and fully charged by then which I fully expect. But man, my interest in the shows went from 125% to about 15%. I'm just not in it right now and it seems a lot of my friends going are baffled and kind of hesitant about what to expect after me hyping up a PJ show for years and years. Once all this dies down I think it will be fine but hey... You never know.

Agreed. The whole Raleigh thing just killed the momentum I had going this tour. I wish I could get my money back for Columbia at the least, just not as excited anymore.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    dirty_mikedirty_mike Posts: 131
    The Raleigh announcement killed the mood for me. I got the email while I was standing in line to get into the venue. I just couldn't get into it. I was behind the stage and thought everything sounded great. The pit looked like they were having a blast. We had some gems in there. Habit, Lukin, RVM, Sad & In My Tree were my favorites. For me, cancelling Raleigh has left a deep wound.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Cancelling a show probably killed the moral of some people im guessing....im a week out from Lexington and even tho cancelling the show didn't directly affect me the fact that 20,000 fans got hosed is on my mind and hopefully goes away next week

imagine what they could have done if they would have played and sent a message that way rather that cancelling...oh well
  • Options
    dirty_mikedirty_mike Posts: 131

imagine what they could have done if they would have played and sent a message that way rather that cancelling...oh well

Organize a rally in downtown Raleigh. I bet thousands would have showed up. Then go play a kick ass rock-n-roll show. Be proactive instead of reactive.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I got Brain of J for the first time. Fuckers teased us by going into Faithfull, thought I was gonna get Yield! But hey, I wanted more Yield and I got it.
    Show was a little bittersweet for me - for personal reasons, not NC or the setlist or anything else, completely personal - but I enjoyed it the best I could.
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 406
    Horrible? No. Disappointing? Only if you bought into the hype this was going to be the show of the tour, bc Phish and the Dead played epic shows here. I thought it was a great show but certainly muted. I got my tickets at 5:30. When I got back to the GA line, all the excitement was out- everyone was looking at their phones to figure out if the announcement was true. And almost every conversation after was about the cancellation. When the band came out the crowd got pumped up again. But to me it was the most somber pit leading up to the show.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,831

Looked pretty average from the set. I wouldn't say bad, but the problem going forward will be the atmosphere in the shows... I have a feeling it won't be as energetic.

Average? I think the only thing that impressed anymore is when they play a full album. Take Vs out and the Greenville set kinda sucked. I guess the set is the most subjective thing. Habit, long road mid set, it's ok tag, in my tree, breath (2consecutive shows!!??) , inside job, sad....... Average?
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,831
    RP112579 said:

You mad they didn't play a full album?

Exactly. Uuggghhh I can't imagine the lull if they played any post 90s album in full. And I guess I was the only one hoping No Way wasn't played after faithful. Pilate, push me, no way, yesterday's, all momentum killers. Yes us hard cores love it but when you're there, it's all about the energy. You could complain about songs like Jeremy all u want but it's those songs that bring down the house!!!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    nicknyr15 said:

Looked pretty average from the set. I wouldn't say bad, but the problem going forward will be the atmosphere in the shows... I have a feeling it won't be as energetic.

Average? I think the only thing that impressed anymore is when they play a full album. Take Vs out and the Greenville set kinda sucked. I guess the set is the most subjective thing. Habit, long road mid set, it's ok tag, in my tree, breath (2consecutive shows!!??) , inside job, sad....... Average?
    yeah that setlist last night looked far from average
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    pdalowsky said:

mwplum said:

To each their own, but in my opinion, that setlist was awesome! You got Long Road in the middle, that's incredible! I am mine, Not for You & Daughter w/tags, Come back, faithfull, breath, inside job, habit, and that's just scratching the surface!

You mad they didn't play betterman and last kiss?

bingo....Long road mid set? fuck that is awesome, and habit is always a stellar semi rarity
    LR midset is beyond reproach.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Compared to the last tour in '13 and the first few shows, maybe the upper half of average or good. But certainly not one of the better shows once it will be all said and done. Again, that's just from looking at the set... Not being there. I love the It's Ok tag as much as anyone but when you point to that as a highlight, along with In My Tree and Habit... Meh, doesn't exactly stick out once it's all said and done. Some definite highlights but the same can be said for every PJ show almost. I have heard most of those songs at every other show I feel like, so for me it doesn't make a lasting impression of a set.

'08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,788
    nicknyr15 said:

RP112579 said:

You mad they didn't play a full album?

Exactly. Uuggghhh I can't imagine the lull if they played any post 90s album in full. And I guess I was the only one hoping No Way wasn't played after faithful. Pilate, push me, no way, yesterday's, all momentum killers. Yes us hard cores love it but when you're there, it's all about the energy. You could complain about songs like Jeremy all u want but it's those songs that bring down the house!!!
    As someone who was at Milwaukee I can guarantee you none of those killed the momentum.

For me and my song preferences the Hampton setlist is good not amazing but still would have loved it if I had been there. Had some friends at that show and they said the vibe and energy was weird, probably because of the cancellation.

Also OP coming on here last night to gripe about your three hour PJ show you got to go not being up to your standards, when so many others had just lost out entirely is way not cool.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    it's funny what a pearl jam fan considers an average set compared to all other bands' fans on the planet. my second favourite band plays barely a 90 minute set, and plays nearly the same set from show to show. so yeah, I'd say most of PJ's sets are above average to me. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

it's funny what a pearl jam fan considers an average set compared to all other bands' fans on the planet. my second favourite band plays barely a 90 minute set, and plays nearly the same set from show to show. so yeah, I'd say most of PJ's sets are above average to me. LOL

this
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options

Compared to the last tour in '13 and the first few shows, maybe the upper half of average or good. But certainly not one of the better shows once it will be all said and done. Again, that's just from looking at the set... Not being there. I love the It's Ok tag as much as anyone but when you point to that as a highlight, along with In My Tree and Habit... Meh, doesn't exactly stick out once it's all said and done. Some definite highlights but the same can be said for every PJ show almost. I have heard most of those songs at every other show I feel like, so for me it doesn't make a lasting impression of a set.

Dear God,
    I know you and I have had some ups and downs between us but I pray that the Canadian shows aren't full of fans attitudes like the OP and the above.
    I pray that the fans bring it and rock the night away.
    Amen

PS: After the Canadian dates I will go back to not believing in you.

cheers
  • Options
    Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 647
    EarlWelsh said:

I think the problem here is....what the fuck is a Hampton, Virginia?

this is funny.
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Seriously.....this person is just trolling. Move on.
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Never said I wouldn't rock my ass off at the show... Just that the level of a "great" show from this band is extremely high because they are so awesome. For example the '13 shows I went to 8 including both Philly, both Brooklyn, Wrigley and Seattle. I think the only one I listen to now is the Philly 1 show because that was amazing. I had a wild-ass time at all of them though. Just saying people throw around "amazing!" And "epic!" On this forum a lot.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    edited April 2016
    You guys, it's ok for a show to be subpar. Last night just wasn't good for many of us.

I've seen Pearl Jam 17 times and this was probably the worst (though Camden '06 and the extended "Last Kiss" with the convicts was pretty bad).

Here are some reasons why it was a weak show:
    1.) Ed was sloppy. He fucked up "Sleeping By Myself" a LOT. They restarted it twice because he fucked up AND forgot the lyrics. I'm positive he hit some wrong chords on Habit and at least one other song. I've watched all 5 prior shows this tour on Periscope and this was the sloppiest.

2.) The set list wasn't good. I'm not saying a greatest hits show is bad, but the pacing didn't work. "Long Road" is an awesome song, but it felt weird midset. Following it with "Wishlist" killed all momentum. Then "Sirens" followed and really brought the show to a halt.

3.) Some songs just don't work live. "Habit" is one of my favorites on album. Live, it sucks (the same applies to my favorite song "Evacation" which of course wasn't played). "Sleeping By Myself" isn't good live either. Add that to the weak set list pacing and you've got a dead crowd. Go back and watch Ed desperately trying to get the crowd going during "Sad" and "Lightning Bolt." It was the opposite of Charlottesville '13.

4.) The Raleigh timing upset a lot of people. I saw a few near fights break out over fans arguing about the cancellation. It put a damper on the mood. People booed when Ed JOKED about it. It was just a mess of a situation.

To be clear, there were some cool moments and even a bad Pearl Jam show is better than most concerts! The audible to "In My Tree" revived the show, and the band really gave it their all in the 2nd encore. I don't mean to upset anyone who had a fun time in my hometown last night; I'm just expressing how many of us felt.
    Post edited by serpent boy on
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited April 2016
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    ...commenting on a show you weren't at :rofl:
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    EarlWelsh said:

I think the problem here is....what the fuck is a Hampton, Virginia?

It's part of Hampton Roads VA... You know the metro area that has 1.7MM people compared to 258k in Buffalo.
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372

Haha even if you ignore the Raleigh issue, all the fuckups and a complete mess of "Sleeping By Myself" made it the weakest of the tour so far.
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557

You guys, it's ok for a show to be subpar. Last night just wasn't good for many of us.

I've seen Pearl Jam 17 times and this was probably the worst (though Camden '06 and the extended "Last Kiss" with the convicts was pretty bad).

Here are some reasons why it was a weak show:
    1.) Ed was sloppy. He fucked up "Sleeping By Myself" a LOT. They restarted it twice because he fucked up AND forgot the lyrics. I'm positive he hit some wrong chords on Habit and at least one other song. I've watched all 5 prior shows this tour on Periscope and this was the sloppiest.

2.) The set list wasn't good. I'm not saying a greatest hits show is bad, but the pacing didn't work. "Long Road" is an awesome song, but it felt weird midset. Following it with "Wishlist" killed all momentum. Then "Sirens" followed and really brought the show to a halt.

3.) Some songs just don't work live. "Habit" is one of my favorites on album. Live, it sucks (the same applies to my favorite song "Evacation" which of course wasn't played). "Sleeping By Myself" isn't good live either. Add that to the weak set list pacing and you've got a dead crowd. Go back and watch Ed desperately trying to get the crowd going during "Sad" and "Lightning Bolt." It was the opposite of Charlottesville '13.

4.) The Raleigh timing upset a lot of people. I saw a few near fights break out over fans arguing about the cancellation. It put a damper on the mood. People booed when Ed JOKED about it. It was just a mess of a situation.

To be clear, there were some cool moments and even a bad Pearl Jam show is better than most concerts! The audible to "In My Tree" revived the show, and the band really gave it their all in the 2nd encore. I don't mean to upset anyone who had a fun time in my hometown last night; I'm just expressing how many of us felt.

Great post. I wasn't there, but I've experienced your points 1-3 at PJ shows in the past enough to agree that these elements can bring down a fan's enjoyment of the show. It says nothing about one's love of the band, but the truth is, not every show is perfect, and some can be disappointing in spite of our love of the band and their dedication to playing a 3 hour set. To be more specific:

1) I'm not a fan of sloppy Ed, especially when it comes to lyrics. One of the most overwhelming moments of my life was PJ opening Los Angeles 2 in 2013 with "Oceans," but I never listen to it on the bootleg because his timing is way off at the beginning of the song. Yeah, it's nitpicking, but enough of those moments throughout a show would put a damper on it for me, too.

2) Sometimes it really is all about momentum. I can point out a handful of shows, but I'll go back to LA 2 '13 again -- awesome setlist, lots of songs I had been wanting to hear, but it just didn't flow well (especially the first half of the set), and it sucked the energy out of the crowd. That's not to say that I wasn't appreciative of the band for playing such a varied setlist, but still, momentum and crowd energy does matter in the overall enjoyment of a show.

3) Agreed that some songs just don't work live. Another one is "Parachutes". I love that song on the album so much that it's almost an unhealthy obsession, but I'll admit without hesitation that it's just not a strong song live and certainly not an energy-inducer.

4) All of the above are byproducts of the band's decision to vary its setlists on a nightly basis. I'm sure if they went the other direction and played the same setlist every show, the chances of sloppy Ed appearing or uneven momentum or ill-fitting songs would be much less. I'm not a performer, but I'm sure that putting together a setlist each and every night that's going to perfectly ebb and flow with the crowd's emotions and draw out the desired energy all while appeal to a variety of types of fans (new, old, hardcore, casual) is an incredibly tough task.

So, the occasional imperfect or subpar show is the result of the effort the band puts in to keep us on our toes and not just mail it in as performers. With that in mind, it's a price I'll always be willing to pay.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826

You are probably right and I hope everyone is back and fully charged by then which I fully expect. But man, my interest in the shows went from 125% to about 15%. I'm just not in it right now and it seems a lot of my friends going are baffled and kind of hesitant about what to expect after me hyping up a PJ show for years and years. Once all this dies down I think it will be fine but hey... You never know.

I pretty much feel the exact same way.
  • Options
    JM44800JM44800 Posts: 106
    js87130 said:

I've never been more disappointed in a show in 20yrs.

troll gonna keep on trollin'.
  • Options
    LetsGoMteersLetsGoMteers New Bern, NC Posts: 157
    Just purely looking at the set list it seems like it was an awesome show and night
    2016 Columbia, SC