Options

Hampton Horrible

Comments

• Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,439
    mrussel1 said:

Think of how many people cannot see any shows this year, and people complain about this one? Set looked awesome to me. I would take it any day! Sure the crowd was off, but you are at a PJ show that youve been waiting for for how long?? My guess is the people complaining have gone to the FL shows or are going to multiple shows.

I was at the south Florida shows, Greenville and Hampton. I didn't think the crowd was off. It was loud. Many songs I could not hear Ed. It's all about your immediate section I think. I had a lame section in Greenville so I thought the crowd was meh. Others seem to think it was great.
    10c seats? One would think any 10c section would be rockin
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 888
    This show blew my mind. I Am Mine. Inside Job, it's okay tag?! Cmon! BREATH. Sad. A great version of indifference. Even Evenflow was sick, Matt's solo kicked ass. Stone was awesome and Mike killed it all night.
    Even with the number of "hits" they played the gems were more than enough for me. Crowd could've been better tho I thought, if there is anything negative to say.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678

mrussel1 said:

Think of how many people cannot see any shows this year, and people complain about this one? Set looked awesome to me. I would take it any day! Sure the crowd was off, but you are at a PJ show that youve been waiting for for how long?? My guess is the people complaining have gone to the FL shows or are going to multiple shows.

I was at the south Florida shows, Greenville and Hampton. I didn't think the crowd was off. It was loud. Many songs I could not hear Ed. It's all about your immediate section I think. I had a lame section in Greenville so I thought the crowd was meh. Others seem to think it was great.
    10c seats? One would think any 10c section would be rockin
    No, my Greenville were not 10C. The rest of my shows were (GA last night). But they were good. They were three sections from the stage, lower level, row A.
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    Yoeddy1 said:

Uh Habit...I would have been out of my mind! I can't believe how dead this floor is. Bums me out. Just turn the sound down...it's pretty bad.

http://youtu.be/SbRF-ZW6nU8

Jason

Oof. This is what I meant by the crowd was dead. I was in the GA area and nobody around me seemed to care for half the show.

I've been to enough PJ shows by now to know when a crowd just isn't feeding energy back to the band. Last night from "Long Road" through "Lightning Bolt" was the worst I've seen. (It livened back up after that.)
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I was in the 10c wing seats and the building was literally rocking/shaking a few times last night... I saw great fan participation all the way up to the top row all around the arena... I saw people on the rail going ape shit... and it was some of the loudest crowd singing I've ever heard... funky, old, small building... setlist with a healthy mix of hits, fan favorites, and weird shit... perfect weather...

Seriously, my seats were literally shaking/rocking... on a Monday night... so I don't know wtf some of you are talking about

The poster sucked... raleigh announcement totally sucked... but Hampton was a killer show in my opinion
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    my2hands said:

I was in the 10c wing seats and the building was literally rocking/shaking a few times last night... I saw great fan participation all the way up to the top row all around the arena... I saw people on the rail going ape shit... and it was some of the loudest crowd singing I've ever heard... funky, old, small building... setlist with a healthy mix of hits, fan favorites, and weird shit... perfect weather...

Seriously, my seats were literally shaking/rocking... on a Monday night... so I don't know wtf some of you are talking about

The poster sucked... raleigh announcement totally sucked... but Hampton was a killer show in my opinion

And this coming from the guy who declared that Hampton was a piece of shit show 2 weeks ago! Even he converted after going...
  • Options
    PearlJammer623PearlJammer623 Posts: 189
    edited April 2016
    You guys are all missing the obvious answer......everyone is older now...prob 6-8 years from the last show. As you get older, ya kinda don't wanna hear lukin or habit. I mean people are in their 50's at the show they want to dance and sing like a Springsteen or Stones concert. Thats why shows that lack fun songs and dumb songs like fuckin up seem silly when you 40 -55 years old.
    People want set lists that take you on a journey are always more fun. Just really choppy this tour, and the sound has been off for a few shows. THEY ARE WORKING VERY HARD FOR US
    Post edited by PearlJammer623 on
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Yeah news flash people.... No matter what city you go to a PJ concert, GA is lame. In Philly a few years ago we were standing there rocking out and noticed that we we're probably the youngest people there (25) and it was lame as hell. Bounced up to lower level reserved and had a way better time. I mean I'm not hating because in another 10-15 years I won't be rocking out like I am, but the majority of fans aren't 25 anymore so I understand it.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

Looked pretty average from the set. I wouldn't say bad, but the problem going forward will be the atmosphere in the shows... I have a feeling it won't be as energetic.

I know
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Yoeddy1 said:

Uh Habit...I would have been out of my mind! I can't believe how dead this floor is. Bums me out. Just turn the sound down...it's pretty bad.

Jason

Yoeddy1 said:

Jason

Eeek.
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778

Yeah news flash people.... No matter what city you go to a PJ concert, GA is lame. In Philly a few years ago we were standing there rocking out and noticed that we we're probably the youngest people there (25) and it was lame as hell. Bounced up to lower level reserved and had a way better time. I mean I'm not hating because in another 10-15 years I won't be rocking out like I am, but the majority of fans aren't 25 anymore so I understand it.

Uh what? I've sat in GA for four shows and the crowd and energy has been amazing. Not sure where you are getting the GA is lame and no one is rocking. I'm 40 and I can tell you everyone around me has been singing, rocking and having a blast at all four GA shows I've been to. San Diego, LA, Denver and Greenville.
  • Options
    rvapetervapete Posts: 488
    edited April 2016
    I had fun.....

In all seriousness I'd say the "peaks and valleys" comment was on point. Some like, some don't. Certainly was representative of the day though, no? While I certainly love the rarities as much as any and appreciate the expanse of the catalog sometimes you just go in and "destroy the place". That arena, I like many predicted a classic rock cover band but got an upset front man playing a legendary venue probably for the only time. I personally prefer loud and fast and for me the open was like being at a punk show. No farting around just roll out and light it up. Crowd was amazing I think given the circumstance. Most I talked to in GA like me were attending 4/20 and to rock out like that after that sort of news deserves tremendous applause. Tidewater Area shows have traditionally been more generic since the band makes a real push to salute the military personnel by making a ton of tickets available to troops. If it means I get to rock out like an 8 year old pissing his parents off in the car when my favorite band comes on the radio I relish that opportunity. Plenty of other shows to Ahab my white whales at.
    Post edited by rvapete on
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422

You guys are all missing the obvious answer......everyone is older now...prob 6-8 years from the last show. As you get older, ya kinda don't wanna hear lukin or habit. I mean people are in their 50's at the show they want to dance and sing like a Springsteen or Stones concert. Thats why shows that lack fun songs and dumb songs like fuckin up seem silly when you 40 -55 years old.
    People want set lists that take you on a journey are always more fun. Just really choppy this tour, and the sound has been off for a few shows. THEY ARE WORKING VERY HARD FOR US

If I ever get to the point to where Springsteen type songs is my preference put a fucking bullet in my head.... Seem the older I get the more I enjoy Pantera, old Metallica, and Habit - type PJ songs.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    Bdog10 said:

I think we're all still chasing 7-8-03

I thinks it's been surpassed many times
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    The expectations and the over analyzing of the shows has gotten to a ridiculous place. It is a fucking rock concert. And nobody does it better than Pearl Jam. 3+ hours of live pearl jam. Is there someplace else you would rather be? The energy was waning, I wish they played other songs, the order of the songs killed the energy. Blah, blah, blah.

People have forgotten how to just enjoy what the band is giving you. Look at the merch line before the shows. That is just stupid and I think it shows you how far people have gotten away from just enjoying live music from one of the best rock bands ever.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2016
    Get_Right said:

The expectations and the over analyzing of the shows has gotten to a ridiculous place. It is a fucking rock concert. And nobody does it better than Pearl Jam. 3+ hours of live pearl jam. Is there someplace else you would rather be? The energy was waning, I wish they played other songs, the order of the songs killed the energy. Blah, blah, blah.

People have forgotten how to just enjoy what the band is giving you. Look at the merch line before the shows. That is just stupid and I think it shows you how far people have gotten away from just enjoying live music from one of the best rock bands ever.

These are all valid and great points.
    I have mixed feelings on certain songs they choose to play and the energy it may bring/not bring.
    While seeing any concert of PJ is an experience in of itself there are certain songs that seem "oddly out of place at times". That doesn't make them bad songs just perhaps not quite easy on the ears of most.

Example - Sirens, Sad, SBM, Chloe Dancer, Future Days, LTRP, Rival and Last Kiss are all equally phenomenal.
    They are all equal and are fan favourites that should be in every setlist. No other songs match the beauty of these.

Where BM, Jeremy, RVM should never be played because they are boring to the elitists.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,830
    edited April 2016

PJNB said:

I have been following this board since 2013 which I know is not that long but there is a something that really annoys me with these fanview threads. Why does it bother people so much that someone didn't like a show that much? Did you love it? Great! That is what we all want when we go to a show. Saying that though you are not going to convince the disappointed people that it was better then they thought it was and they are not going to convince you that it was an average/shit show.(Is there even such a think with this band?) Also if you weren't at the show why are you arguing with people if it was bad or not? You can only read so much into a setlist and even using Periscope only gives us part of the picture.

Pearl Jam has a huge catalogue that allows for people to love this band for so many different reasons. Whats good for you may not be good for me and vice versa. If someone has been to 20 shows and thought one was average/bad to that sucks for them and only them. Maybe they are too picky/hard to impress or the show was just ok. Who cares you loved the show and their opinion should have zero influence on any of your fun. Enjoy the next show and stop worrying what everyone else thinks to validate your opinion!

It's not that someone didn't love it. It's that someone was so self absorbed that posting this opinion in the already existing fanview/setlist threads wasn't enough for them. They had to come on the board and town crier it out. Especially on a day when a lot of people learned they don't get even one show. Douchey behaviour. Have some respect for your fellow fans even if you didn't enjoy the show. That's my problem with it, I was just trying to say it nicer earlier.
    Funny thing is when I posted this rant I thought I was in the fanview thread. I agree about leaving it in the fanview setlist thread.
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    There will never be a show where it's a consensus 10. Either someone won't like the flow of the set. Or somebody was in a section that didn't participate enough. Or someone thought the sound was bad. Literally every fanview goes from one person saying it was the best show they've ever seen to the next saying that it was kind of a dud. And that's OK. Different strokes for different folks. Everybody wants their show to be the best.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Get_Right said:

great solid points.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,829
    my2hands said:

I had floor seats and felt the ground shaking during all the songs that the elite members complain about. Jeremy tore the roof off so early in the set, E Flow was insane, Evolution straight into Porch. Those are the moments of pure insanity.
  • Options
    js87130js87130 Posts: 88
    Agree with CantKeepmedown. Everyone is different and takes something different from each show.
    I think I need to clarify since I started this thread and was a little inebriated after the show. It wasn't the worst in 20yrs. I think the cancellation announcement left a cloud over the show and people booing during the show didn't help the vibe. I'm not gonna argue whether their decision was right or wrong. I just think that decision had an effect on this show (the band and the crowd).
    Whatever. Stuff happens. I'm excited for the rest of the tour. Can't wait to see them again.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    @js87130 so were you trolling or did you genuinely dislike the show?
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

Get_Right said:

These are all valid and great points.
    I have mixed feelings on certain songs they choose to play and the energy it may bring/not bring.
    While seeing any concert of PJ is an experience in of itself there are certain songs that seem "oddly out of place at times". That doesn't make them bad songs just perhaps not quite easy on the ears of most.

Example - Sirens, Sad, SBM, Chloe Dancer, Future Days, LTRP, Rival and Last Kiss are all equally phenomenal.
    They are all equal and are fan favourites that should be in every setlist. No other songs match the beauty of these.

Where BM, Jeremy, RVM should never be played because they are boring to the elitists.
    :lol: you mean setlitists?
  • Options

I would say I genuinely disliked it although I was definitely too harsh in my original post. On paper I thought the selist ruled but as it played in real time I felt they killed some energy right when I thought it was about to take off. I saw the Ft Lauderdale and Miami shows too and thought they absolutely killed down there. Loved those shows. So, I don't know. Maybe it was me. Maybe it was the peripheral stuff going on. I just felt like something was off.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    Get_Right said:

A - fucking - men

People forget that in an arena of 15-20k there is a very small % that wants to hear the Habits and Ghosts.

I sure do, most of us on here do but b-sides and rare tracks are only for the hardcore. To me the set are always good (some are better yes) and the band is always great

• Options
    Well, an analysis is an analysis; positive or negative. I can see that it's hard for some to hear the negative. I'd guarantee you that even the band thinks they've played bad shows before. For example, The Singles release party. And I'm sure that's not the only one they thought wasn't any good.
  • Options
    mwelchonsmwelchons Posts: 108
    Albany '03 was not their best work; but Albany '06 rocked. loved Hampton show.
  • Options
    I have heard that Albany '06. Definitely rocked.
  • Options

So the more that I think about it, i think it was part trolling and part genuine. I'm not happy with my myself about the trolling part I have to admit. Head hanging in shame.
  • Options
    CosmoCramerCosmoCramer Posts: 571
    edited April 2016

I noticed that, a lot and i mean a lot of old timers at this show and perhaps thats just the way it is, we are getting older. Awesome show though, the people complaining are the die hard fan boys. Eddie looked at me, Stone sweated on me, i am there to listen to music, the band rocked.

Did anyone watch the video monitor? You could see the blondish/greyish haired fellow at the rail, center stage. He was the guy pouring starbucks coffee for everyone in the GA camping line. He was whippin his head like an 18 year old. He is not going to be able to do that in a couple of years. We are getting old.
    Post edited by CosmoCramer on
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018