Options

Hampton Horrible

1235»

Comments

• Options
    mwelchonsmwelchons Posts: 108
    js87130 said:

@js87130 so were you trolling or did you genuinely dislike the show?

So the more that I think about it, i think it was part trolling and part genuine. I'm not happy with my myself about the trolling part I have to admit. Head hanging in shame.
    No shame needed. PJ shows are a very personal experience and two fans can reasonably disagree in assessing a show. That said, I think most of the Hampton fury should be leveled at the poster. (Disclosure: I bought one).
  • Options
    CosmoCramerCosmoCramer Posts: 571
    mwelchons said:

js87130 said:

So the more that I think about it, i think it was part trolling and part genuine. I'm not happy with my myself about the trolling part I have to admit. Head hanging in shame.
    No shame needed. PJ shows are a very personal experience and two fans can reasonably disagree in assessing a show. That said, I think most of the Hampton fury should be leveled at the poster. (Disclosure: I bought one).
    Looks like paint by numbers.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057

Yoeddy1 said:

Uh Habit...I would have been out of my mind! I can't believe how dead this floor is. Bums me out. Just turn the sound down...it's pretty bad.

http://youtu.be/SbRF-ZW6nU8

Jason

Oof. This is what I meant by the crowd was dead. I was in the GA area and nobody around me seemed to care for half the show.

I've been to enough PJ shows by now to know when a crowd just isn't feeding energy back to the band. Last night from "Long Road" through "Lightning Bolt" was the worst I've seen. (It livened back up after that.)
    That doesn't look different than any other PJ show I've been to. Some people jump around, a lot of old farts just stand there. I've been to 25 shows, and other than the ones in the 90's, all the crowds have pretty much been this video.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    mwelchons said:

js87130 said:

I don't know. I didn't like it at first, but now it's growing on me. The guy is a pretty good artist if you look at his stuff. He's just not a rock poster guy. And this art is very similar to the mural work he does. I showed my wife and 17 year old daughter. They both liked it. By contrast, they don't see the beauty in my 06 DC Reaper poster. So maybe this is a chance to have some real art hanging!
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    mwelchons said:

Albany '03 was not their best work; but Albany '06 rocked. loved Hampton show.

It's funny you say this about Albany 03. I went with a big group of guys, about 8 of us. I think for 5 of them it was there first PJ show. Walking out, they were on cloud 9. "Best show I've ever seen in my life!" "I'll never not see them again when they come anywhere near us"

I thought it was a solid show (I had seen them about 15 times or so at that point). But had certainly seen better shows. But just being with and around those guys made it as memorable as any PJ show I've ever seen. Sometimes it's not just the show. There's plenty of other things that can factor into your view of it.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678

mwelchons said:

It's funny you say this about Albany 03. I went with a big group of guys, about 8 of us. I think for 5 of them it was there first PJ show. Walking out, they were on cloud 9. "Best show I've ever seen in my life!" "I'll never not see them again when they come anywhere near us"

I thought it was a solid show (I had seen them about 15 times or so at that point). But had certainly seen better shows. But just being with and around those guys made it as memorable as any PJ show I've ever seen. Sometimes it's not just the show. There's plenty of other things that can factor into your view of it.

Here here... I was in the pit with 3 friends that have never seen PJ. They had a blast so I had a blast. We got blasted. It was a great night from the pre show partying to the party to Denny's afterwards. There are so many factors outside just the set or order that creates the expreience.
  • Options
    inmytree1380inmytree1380 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Posts: 155
    I personally thought it was a decent show, but I didn't think it was awe-inspiring. There were some great songs played and a couple of sequences that were solid; however, there were some slow points and the audience in my section was weak with the exception of the gentleman behind me and a few people a few rows ahead of me.

What I enjoyed most was that my wife couldn't make the show (I didn't enjoy not being with her), so I took of friend of ours who had not ever been to a show, so the hits-heavy setlist really got her attention. Naturally, she loved it, so it was cool being with a first timer and her being blown away.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2003: Pittsburgh
    2004: Toledo
    2005: Pittsburgh
    2006: Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2008: D.C.
    2009: Toronto, Philly IV
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: East Troy I & II
    2013: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore
    2014: Austin I
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Hampton, Philly II, Chicago II
  • Options

mwelchons said:

Great point. So true. Remember "All or None" was hauntingly amazing (Albany '03).
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mwelchons said:

js87130 said:

I don't know. I didn't like it at first, but now it's growing on me. The guy is a pretty good artist if you look at his stuff. He's just not a rock poster guy. And this art is very similar to the mural work he does. I showed my wife and 17 year old daughter. They both liked it. By contrast, they don't see the beauty in my 06 DC Reaper poster. So maybe this is a chance to have some real art hanging!
    Like this perspective: I'll take a closer look at it after work.
  • Options
    js87130js87130 Posts: 88
    mwelchons said:

js87130 said:

Haha! I'm with you on that. And I bought one as well. I just can't help myself.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    Get_Right said:

The expectations and the over analyzing of the shows has gotten to a ridiculous place. It is a fucking rock concert. And nobody does it better than Pearl Jam. 3+ hours of live pearl jam. Is there someplace else you would rather be? The energy was waning, I wish they played other songs, the order of the songs killed the energy. Blah, blah, blah.

People have forgotten how to just enjoy what the band is giving you. Look at the merch line before the shows. That is just stupid and I think it shows you how far people have gotten away from just enjoying live music from one of the best rock bands ever.

Adam gets it , I'm glad I'm only attending Fenway !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    js87130 said:

Haha thanks for being honest though!!!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Isoworld13Isoworld13 Posts: 221
    I really liked the setlist, but was disappointed with the crowd. Had 10c seats on Mike's side. I felt the crowd really wasn't that into it. There were a number of people around me SITTING for the whole show (something I've NEVER EVER seen in the 29 shows I've been to). Went to FLL, MIA, & TAM this tour and felt the Hampton crowd was the most sluggish. Maybe I'm just spoiled. Of my almost 30 shows, the majority have been in the Northeast & Chicago where the crowds seem to be rabid. I thought the cancellation of Raleigh right before the show started REALLY had an adverse affect. Still enjoyed myself, but was definitely a little let down. No worries. With tix to Philly, Fenway, & Wrigley on the horizon, I'm sure the crowds won't disappoint at those venues.
    1994 Boston
    1998 Mansfield
    2000 Atlanta & Mansfield
    2003 Mansfield (X2)
    2004 Boston
    2006 Chicago & Boston (x2)
    2008 Mansfield (x2)
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Buffalo & Boston
    2011 Toronto
    2012 Amsterdam
    2013 Wrigley, Worcerster (x2), Philly, & Hartford
    2014 Memphis, Moline, Denver
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Hampton, Philly, Fenway (x2), Wrigley Monday
    2018 Wrigley (x2), Fenway (x2)
    2022 MSG. Nashville
  • Options
    hey, at least the show wasn't as bad as Raleigh... right?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471

You are probably right and I hope everyone is back and fully charged by then which I fully expect. But man, my interest in the shows went from 125% to about 15%. I'm just not in it right now and it seems a lot of my friends going are baffled and kind of hesitant about what to expect after me hyping up a PJ show for years and years. Once all this dies down I think it will be fine but hey... You never know.

I feel the same way man.... I think Ed's talking inbetween songs is really bugging me this tour. It just kills the flow of the show. I'd rather hear a tune that I don't care about than listening to him ramble again. Its weird, I used to love when he talked...now it just irkes me
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited April 2016
    *irks

:glasses:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471

*irks

:glasses:

"I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...