Options

Pearl Jam cancels Raleigh, NC show over HB2

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Yeah, its all good. It'll go away (hopefully).

The thing is.... I disagreed from a distance when Bruce did it... but thought I was kind of prepared for it and was half expecting PJ to do it. When we got that close I figured we were safe and the band would never do that to the fans... I had made all the arrangements, packed, was within 32 hours of my flight, itinerary had come together, was on a show high, had started to go through the pre-vacation motions at work...

But when the news came down it was like a switch went on. I thought it was a prank in the FB group, then I immediately got the email. I was mad. Didn't think/expect I would feel that way at all, I pretty even keel (and Im on the same poli side) but I did. The main place(s) to vent are here and the FB groups. Internet being the way the internet is.... people were pushing back and that isn't what I wanted/needed to hear. Just needed to spout off and have people say "that sucks dude, I'm sure they'll make it up to you guys".

I was 100% in PJ mode too and watched 1 song of the Hampton show and turned it off because I just wasnt in the mood.

Then I think the pushback and the character judgements is what kept the fire kindled most. I think people just kind of needed to back away and let that happen.... (other than things like the "well thought out" post I read on facebook about "Trannies" yesterday). You know they dont "hate the fans"... Eddie isnt Bruce's puppy dog, talks of lawyers, etc is silly, etc.

But I'm over it and ready to turn the page. I feel bad that I have contributed to the 'pissing match', but all of this can be filed under 'whats done is done'. They made their choice, the show passed. People got upset. Its over.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Britain issues warning for LGBT travelers visiting North Carolina and Mississippi

The new legislation has led to boycotts and backlash in the business community. Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr and Pearl Jam, among others, have canceled appearances in North Carolina as a show of opposition to the new law, and PayPal said it is abandoning plans to expand into Charlotte in response to the legislation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/04/20/britain-issues-warning-for-lgbt-travelers-visiting-north-carolina-and-mississippi/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_wv-britain-lgbt-805pm:homepage/story
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    MayDay10 said:

Yeah, its all good. It'll go away (hopefully).

The thing is.... I disagreed from a distance when Bruce did it... but thought I was kind of prepared for it and was half expecting PJ to do it. When we got that close I figured we were safe and the band would never do that to the fans... I had made all the arrangements, packed, was within 32 hours of my flight, itinerary had come together, was on a show high, had started to go through the pre-vacation motions at work...

But when the news came down it was like a switch went on. I thought it was a prank in the FB group, then I immediately got the email. I was mad. Didn't think/expect I would feel that way at all, I pretty even keel (and Im on the same poli side) but I did. The main place(s) to vent are here and the FB groups. Internet being the way the internet is.... people were pushing back and that isn't what I wanted/needed to hear. Just needed to spout off and have people say "that sucks dude, I'm sure they'll make it up to you guys".

I was 100% in PJ mode too and watched 1 song of the Hampton show and turned it off because I just wasnt in the mood.

Then I think the pushback and the character judgements is what kept the fire kindled most. I think people just kind of needed to back away and let that happen.... (other than things like the "well thought out" post I read on facebook about "Trannies" yesterday). You know they dont "hate the fans"... Eddie isnt Bruce's puppy dog, talks of lawyers, etc is silly, etc.

But I'm over it and ready to turn the page. I feel bad that I have contributed to the 'pissing match', but all of this can be filed under 'whats done is done'. They made their choice, the show passed. People got upset. Its over.

Glad you're able to move on.

I personally couldn't sit back and let people spout off BS about PJ just playing politics, that they are hypocrites and they are just grandstanding. That kind of BS needs to be challenged. Also the ignorance about what the are standing up against, and that a boycott means nothing.

I have no problem with fans being pissed that they are going to miss a show....and that they were given only 48 hrs notice. I would be upset too, but I think I would be able to move on quickly. I've missed other shows on short notice due to shittier reasons than a discriminatory law, my disappointment lasted hours. So I have trouble seeing some of the hate people are holding on to, it's quite strange to me.

I understand that you're going to some other shows this tour. I hope you have a great time and don't let this bump in the road infringe on that great time....that would be a shame.

And don't forget, some of us aren't lucky enough to see them this tour or very often at all, due to geography....if you can take solace in that. :)
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-north-carolina-bathroom-bill_us_5718ca1ee4b0c9244a7aec8c

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said on Thursday that transgender people should be allowed to use whichever bathroom they prefer.

During a town hall on NBC, Trump said North Carolina’s anti-LGBT bathroom measure, which has hurt the state economically, wasn’t necessary and sought to address a problem that wasn’t really a big issue. The bill also prohibits local municipalities from passing additional measures to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people from discrimination.

“North Carolina did something that was very strong and they’re paying a big price. There’s a lot of problems,” Trump said. “You leave it the way it is. There have been very few complaints the way it is. People go, they use the bathroom they feel is appropriate, there has been so little trouble, and the problem with what happened in North Carolina is the strife, and the economic punishment that they’re taking.”

Advocates of the North Carolina law, which only allows people to use the restroom that corresponds with the gender on their birth certificate, say it is necessary to protect the privacy of children. As Trump pointed out, the suggestion that allowing transgender people to use the bathroom they want will jeopardize the safety of other people is a myth.

Cog dis mental gymnastics from his minions in 3...2...1!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Trump's base must be having a WTF? moment right now.

Further proof that he's a Clinton mole sent to tear the GOP to pieces!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570

BTW... you say you want to keep men out of women's washrooms?

This is my friend Buck. HE was born a woman. He must now legally use women's washrooms when in one of those garbage hate states. THIS is what you're supporting. Just want to make sure you get that,

I know, it's ludicrous.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    brianlux said:

For the record, there are already laws against abusing kids, laws against shooting video of people in public washrooms, being a sexual predator and... well, pretty much everything else.

This law was just meant to tell the trans community "we can't stop you from getting married, but we CAN make your life miserable."

i agree. glad to see you still around these parts POD. your voice is missed here.
    I'll second that. Good to see you here POD.
    +3
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,855
    edited April 2016

http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-rollins-north-carolina-i-love-you-but-your-governor-is-an-asshole-6847399
    When North Carolina Gov. Patrick McCrory signed House Bill 2 into law, I wonder if he was thinking long-range about what the result might be. I can’t see him and his staff wondering out loud if their thick-skulled, cracker logic might result in Bruce Springsteen not only canceling his upcoming show in Greensboro, depriving the state of revenue and its residents of a Springsteen concert, but inspiring Mr. Boss to issue a press release that more people have read than will ever peruse House Bill 2.

Springsteen’s is a well-written statement that you have probably seen by now. In it, he concludes, “Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them.”

House Bill 2 is much more than just the “bathroom bill” that it’s being characterized as. It actually prevents avenues of state government from including LGBT people in previous protections. For private-sector bigots, it is now open season.

It seems like a long way to go to please a handful of hicks, but obviously the governor was losing sleep over all those poor homophobes shaking in their boots as to who is in the stall next to them, and he took action.

Bruce Springsteen’s reputation, as far as I can see, is unimpeachable. His statement coming from a less well-known artist would be all well and good but would carry only a fraction of the weight.

Springsteen made Gov. McCrory all kinds of famous. I was being charitable using the governor’s name. The truth is that no one cares what his name is. He will be dimly remembered as the asshole who signed that fucked-up bill that embarrassed the majority of North Carolinians.

Do they hand out free bags of dumbfuck at red lights in N.C.?
    Punching himself in the dick, North Carolina Congressman Mark Walker described Springsteen as “known to be on the radical left,” then generously added, “He’s got every right to be so,” but considers Springsteen’s cancellation a bully tactic. In a sad attempt to show how “with it” he is, Walker quipped, “We’ve got other artists coming soon — Def Leppard, Justin Bieber.”

The congressman added, “I’ve never been a Bieber fan, but I might have to go. Maybe artists who weren’t ‘born to run’ deserve a little bit more support.” Do they hand out free bags of dumbfuck at red lights in N.C.?

This is where the fun begins. Gov. McCrory will no doubt be getting more bad news as money big and small either leaves the state or goes around it. If he “stands his ground,” he will severely disadvantage his truly great state for a long time to come.

HB2 is now law. There is no “walking it back.” If McCrory eventually caves and tries to repeal it, everyone will know it’s because he values money over his homophobia, which he has poorly disguised as moral rectitude and common sense. Either way he’s fucked. If I were him, I wouldn’t feel all that put out by Springsteen’s cancellation as much as I would fear PayPal scrapping its plans to locate a new operations center in his state. PayPal is bigger than any governor.

It is almost impossible to describe how beautiful North Carolina is. For a few summers, I was shipped off there to live in a tent at a summer camp. Each day, we were given chores. Milking cows, feeding chickens, getting beetles off the vegetables. Since the late 1960s, I have always had an affection for N.C.

Years later, I was happy to find out it was a great state in which to be a broke band on the road. Not only were there plenty of college-town venues to play in, but the people were incredibly friendly and would let you sleep on their floors.

One of America’s best venues, the Orange Peel, is in Asheville, North Carolina. It’s always one of my favorite stops on tour because not only is there a great show waiting for you, but you can walk from the venue and spend time in the Wolfe House, made famous by the legendary literary giant and Asheville native Thomas Wolfe.

Judging from the people of the state I have met over almost 50 years, I can’t believe they are pleased with House Bill 2. They probably are wondering how they got to where they are now.

It has become quintessentially American to resist progress and change. To still be breast-stroking in the primordial ooze of the past and call it integrity is pathetic, but describes the mindset of millions of people in this country.

While I have nothing but respect for Bruce Springsteen, I wish he had not canceled the show. I wish he had spoken to the thousands of people who were there about what had just happened to the greatness of their state, then told them where he was donating all that money. The cancellation, in a way, allows McCrory to end the conversation, which I think should be just beginning.

In any case, you can’t mess with Spring­steen, so if that’s the way he saw to go, that’s cool. I just love the idea of when you see a problem, you don’t leave it alone; instead, you make it your special project. After I found out about the plight of Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley, otherwise known as the West Memphis Three, and got involved in the effort to secure their release, I talked about the state they were trapped in, Arkansas, every day. I enjoyed firing at the state’s hull on a regular basis.

I want North Carolina to reap an LGBT whirlwind. More shows, more light, more heat, more volume — just more.

We Americans are such a bunch. You give us a topic, any topic, and we’ll divide over it. I am impatient and don’t want the past for the future.

Henry Rollins iin his LA Weekly column
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I am glad I missed all the durm und strang on this. We were happily ensconced in the mountains and I applaud the band for doing what they felt was right.
    I stand with PJ, and besides, everybody knew Greenville was the show to see anyways :wink:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    This meant much to me and my dearest friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuz94ZIPfJk