Options

Pearl Jam cancels Raleigh, NC show over HB2

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,173
    rr165892 said:

This isn't about the law.I think we all agree it's bullshit.This is about timing and last minute nonsense.
    If they really wanted an impact they would have continued to play and been vocal leaders getting the fans to come together in mass,to denounce the law.That would have been the way to go.

i'm pretty sure the cancelation was about the law. it said so in the statement.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    I do agree they should have made that decision last week... meh, better late than never.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Already I see idiots in Facebook calling them has beens while they jerk off to Nugent and saying no musicians can't be political at all. They need to realize that without Bob Dylan that people would still be listening to Fabian and Pat Boone so they need to STFU.
  • Options
    yeah shut up and sing!!!

:SMDH:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    i get it. people are upset. and that is their right. i get it. i would be upset for selfish reasons probably as well. but i get what the band is doing.

but anybody that has been following this band for any length of time knows that they stand on the side of social justice and standing up for the oppressed.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,852

i get it. people are upset. and that is their right. i get it. i would be upset for selfish reasons probably as well. but i get what the band is doing.

but anybody that has been following this band for any length of time knows that they stand on the side of social justice and standing up for the oppressed.

Look forward to them canceling Lexington too.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited April 2016
    Losing money in travel plans in this Deal pales in comparison to losing one's dignity, and privacy and basic human rights.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    callen said:

muskydan said:

Say it ain't so... I'd be fuming if I were traveling to this show. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but if you had tics to this show let's hear from you....your true feelings not some BS PC feelings..

So this is the band you like. This is the bands fan website to which you visit. PJ has been very clear about their positions on social matters. PJ fans mostly agree with their positions and like them for matching their views

So hope to hear WMA soon. .

Timing could of been better.
    So what's your point?? Are you implying this band is not for me since I don't agree w/ many of their political statements?? I like rock n Roll period...cause it's only Rock n roll and I like it. You know, Not everyone's mind who likes this band is rotted to the core liberal Mumbo Jumbo...

Getting back to the point, I would love to hear from someone who was directly effected by this Fuck You move by the boys.... Someone chime in who has tics...
  • Options
    Free said:

Losing money in travel plans in this Deal pales in comparison to losing one's dignity, and privacy and basic human rights.

It gives the appearance that wasnt as important when the bill was first broadcast. Just now.

To be clear, this is a bullshit law from folks who just cant seem to live without judgement of others, like their religion suggests they do. I wonder though what kind of good the procedes from the show could have done to LGBTQ organizations or the ACLU in fighting this law in the couurts.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    Son of a gun... AMT having much more civil discussion that what we're seeing on the porch. It's a blood bath up there!

I'm sure I would be unhappy if Missoula (my one and only PJ show) had been cancelled. It took my wife and I three or four days to get there and we were on small roads and highways- no cell phone service most of the time, never any internet and didn't even bother to buy a newspaper. It was a getaway kind of trip. We would have gotten there and missed the show. But for a good cause, I honestly believe I would NOT have spewed the kind of venom and anger I'm seeing on the porch. We would still have made a good road trip out of it, hopefully met some of you good folks I did meet there, would have made plans for another show and would still be a fan. I just can't get behind all the hate.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:

Son of a gun... AMT having much more civil discussion that what we're seeing on the porch. It's a blood bath up there!

I'm sure I would be unhappy if Missoula (my one and only PJ show) had been cancelled. It took my wife and I three or four days to get there and we were on small roads and highways- no cell phone service most of the time, never any internet and didn't even bother to buy a newspaper. It was a getaway kind of trip. We would have gotten there and missed the show. But for a good cause, I honestly believe I would NOT have spewed the kind of venom and anger I'm seeing on the porch. We would still have made a good road trip out of it, hopefully met some of you good folks I did meet there, would have made plans for another show and would still be a fan. I just can't get behind all the hate.

It's strange when you here a lot of hate coming from people who aren't even going to the show. Doesn't effect them in any way, so why are they so angry?
  • Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

It's strange when you here a lot of hate coming from people who aren't even going to the show. Doesn't effect them in any way, so why are they so angry?
    Because it could happen to them.

• Options

• Options
    here are the people who voted for this piece of crap. if you are pissed off, do something useful, like call these people.

http://keepncsafe.org/roll-call-hb2/

HB 2– HOUSE Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act.
    Sponsor: Bishop
    Third Reading Outcome: PASS
    Time: Mar 23 2016 3:05PM
    Total Votes: 108 Ayes: 82 Noes: 26 Not: 0 Exc. Absent: 11 Exc. Vote: 0
    Democrat Republican
    Ayes: Representative(s): Brisson; C. Graham; Floyd; G. Graham; Goodman; Hunter; L. Bell; Pierce; Salmon; W. Richardson; Wray Representative(s): Adams; Arp; Avila; Bishop; Blackwell; Blust; Boles; Bradford; Brawley; Brody; Bryan; Bumgardner; Burr; Catlin; Cleveland; Collins; Conrad; Daughtry; Davis; Dixon; Dobson; Dollar; Elmore; Faircloth; Ford; Fraley; Hager; Hardister; Hastings; Horn; Howard; Hurley; Iler; J. Bell; Jones; Jordan; K. Hall; L. Johnson; Lambeth; Langdon; Lewis; Malone; McElraft; McNeill; Millis; Murphy; Pittman; Presnell; R. Brown; R. Turner; Riddell; Robinson; Ross; S. Martin; Saine; Schaffer; Setzer; Shepard; Speciale; Stam; Steinburg; Stevens; Szoka; T. Moore (SPEAKER); Torbett; Warren; Watford; West; Whitmire; Yarborough; Zachary

Noes: Representative(s): Ager; Alexander; B. Richardson; B. Turner; Baskerville; Brockman; Cotham; Cunningham; D. Hall; Farmer-Butterfield; G. Martin; Gill; Hamilton; Hanes; Harrison; Holley; Insko; Jackson; L. Hall; Lucas; Meyer; Michaux; R. Moore; Reives; Willingham Representative(s): Tine

Exc. Absence: Representative(s): Adcock; Carney; Earle; Fisher; Luebke; Queen; Terry; Waddell Representative(s): Jeter; McGrady; Pendleton

ROLL CALL (1 Votes)
    Legislative Session Day 1 (03-23-2016)

1 HB 2-Senate Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act.
    Sponsor: Bishop
    Third Reading Outcome: PASS
    Time: Mar 23 2016 6:29PM
    Total Votes: 32 Ayes: 32 Noes: 0 Not: 11 Exc. Absent: 6 Exc. Vote: 0
    Democrat Republican
    Ayes: Senator(s): None Senator(s): Alexander; Apodaca; B. Jackson; Barefoot; Barringer; Berger; Bingham; Brock; Brown; Cook; Curtis; Daniel; Gunn; Harrington; Hartsell; Hise; J. Davis; Krawiec; Lee; McInnis; Meredith; Newton; Pate; Rabin; Rabon; Randleman; Sanderson; Tarte; Tillman; Tucker; Wade; Wells
    Not Voting: Senator(s): Blue; Clark; D. Davis; Foushee; J. Jackson; Lowe; McKissick; Robinson; Smith-Ingram; Van Duyn; Woodard Senator(s): None
    Exc. Absence: Senator(s): Bryant; Ford; Smith; Waddell Senator(s): Rucho; Soucek

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited April 2016
    mickeyrat said:

Free said:

It gives the appearance that wasnt as important when the bill was first broadcast. Just now.

To be clear, this is a bullshit law from folks who just cant seem to live without judgement of others, like their religion suggests they do. I wonder though what kind of good the procedes from the show could have done to LGBTQ organizations or the ACLU in fighting this law in the couurts.
    Yup. Rock on - you too, rr.

*edited to remove the certain mentalities comment =)
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mickeyrat said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

Because it could happen to them.
    But it didn't. So why bother with the anger? How is it worth it?
  • Options
    muskydan said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

Say it ain't so... I'd be fuming if I were traveling to this show. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but if you had tics to this show let's hear from you....your true feelings not some BS PC feelings..

So this is the band you like. This is the bands fan website to which you visit. PJ has been very clear about their positions on social matters. PJ fans mostly agree with their positions and like them for matching their views

So what's your point?? Are you implying this band is not for me since I don't agree w/ many of their political statements?? I like rock n Roll period...cause it's only Rock n roll and I like it. You know, Not everyone's mind who likes this band is rotted to the core liberal Mumbo Jumbo...

Getting back to the point, I would love to hear from someone who was directly effected by this Fuck You move by the boys.... Someone chime in who has tics...
    do you honestly see this as a "fuck you" to the fans?

if so, you are missing the bigger picture.

timing could have been better, yes. but do you honestly think ed and the boys would compromise their beliefs for a payday?

• Options
    In other news. Earthquakes rocking Japan and Ecuador. Seem to be some kind of little skirmish in a far away land called Syria. Couple busses got blown up in Jerusalem. Saudi Arabia is publically seeking to influence our Congress. Egypt just received an military aid package from France to include naval vessels and aircraft. And Yemen remains a hot spot. Opec isnt cutting production........

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

muskydan said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

timing could have been better, yes. but do you honestly think ed and the boys would compromise their beliefs for a payday?
    well they've continued to work with ticketbastard... ;)

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

muskydan said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

they lost.

it was either do it themselves which did not work out so well, or deal with their el guapo. they chose to work with their el guapo.

• Options
    edited April 2016

They're taking the low road. There are a number of bands with republicans in them that I listen to like Aerosmith, Metallica and Ramones but I'm above that butthurt crap the Nugent lovers are spouting.
  • Options

muskydan said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

they lost.

it was either do it themselves which did not work out so well, or deal with their el guapo. they chose to work with their el guapo.
    so they sold their collective soul.. i get it.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    does anybody for one second think that the band did not weigh this backlash against them? did they not expect it?

you know that they did. and you know they probably feel bad about the people that are inconvenienced by their decision.

but you know where ed is right now?

on stage in virginia not giving a flying turd about their haters.

• Options

does anybody for one second think that the band did not weigh this backlash against them? did they not expect it?

you know that they did. and you know they probably feel bad about the people that are inconvenienced by their decision.

i support anyone who rallies against injustice. and ive no doubt the band isn't braiding each others hair, drinking appletinis and laughing at all those fans they inconvenienced. of course it was a tough decision but its also tough o those who organised their lives around this gig, forking over hard earned money for tickets, travel and accommodation. i do not begrudge them their venting at all. id be furious.. but sense would prevail and id see my privilege for just that.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

i support anyone who rallies against injustice. and ive no doubt the band isn't braiding each others hair, drinking appletinis and laughing at all those fans they inconvenienced. of course it was a tough decision but its also tough o those who organised their lives around this gig, forking over hard earned money for tickets, travel and accommodation. i do not begrudge them their venting at all. id be furious.. but sense would prevail and id see my privilege for just that.

i don't begrudge them either. i would be pretty upset too initially. then i would realize that it is not about me and my privilege and that they don't owe me a single thing. it is about doing what is right and about telling these backwoods dimbulb politicians that they are not going to support this latest affront on civil liberties by playing in their state.

all this does is piss people off enough to make them want to call the governor, call the senators, call the reps, have the people hold their government accountable.

i do not speak for the band, but could it be that they were waiting to see if the governor caves to the pressure and when he wouldn't they pulled the plug?

people forget that the band is losing a lot of money too. they had to rent the arena, pay up front for security, pay insurance, etc. none of that is refundable.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Can you imagine how today's Y'all Qaeda would react if it were 1985 and their favorite musicians dare to not play Sun City? They'd be just as ignorant I guarantee you.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492

BTW... you say you want to keep men out of women's washrooms?

This is my friend Buck. HE was born a woman. He must now legally use women's washrooms when in one of those garbage hate states. THIS is what you're supporting. Just want to make sure you get that,

I get that.....but Buck is never going into a ladies room. Maybe he SHOULD just to point out what a stupid law this is. Either way, we don't need people telling us which bathrooms to use but we also don't need to hyperventilate over such dumb laws. Just use the bathroom that's being used by the people whose outward anatomy resembles yours. I do understand that might be tough during the transition. I trust your best judgement.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    ^^^^ P.S. I'm very liberal. To be, this is a misguided but unenforceable law. I don't forsee the formation of a State Bathroom Police. I guess I'm missing the outrage(?)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16