Options

Pearl Jam cancels Raleigh, NC show over HB2

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

When you get down to the brass tacks, if this sets precedent, there will be only a handful of places in the world where PJ should play a show if there is some piece of legislation they disagree with. They will will have to focus on Norway or someplace special in the land of gum drops and lolly pops.

Not really how that works. You can take up one cause without taking up them all. But if that was how it works I would be okay with that, I'm guessing more Canadian tours.
    Well, a standard has been set on laws that discriminate and if PJ will play in that entire region. There are many states and countries (entire continents in some cases) that have laws that people could argue discriminate against others.

If this isn't how it works, the canceling the concert is not working.
    Many states may be considering passing laws such as this or even have them on the books but, unfortunately for the residents of Raleigh, this is where the war is being fought.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    Pearl Jam made a mistake, a big mistake, in not canceling sooner. They waited too long and in that screwed over their fans. They should apologize for waiting too long to make their decision. Admit their mistake.
    Ed apologized profusely in the video. People will get over it or not, remain fans or not. Maybe some here need to find a band (lots of 'em out there) that doesn't care about social and environmental issues and such. What the hay, there always the Nug!
    I agree. Pearl Jam did what was right for them and apologized for the inconvenience and the fans have "vented". If the pissed fans can't accept that then they should move along, life's too short to be a wet blanket.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    Pearl Jam made a mistake, a big mistake, in not canceling sooner. They waited too long and in that screwed over their fans. They should apologize for waiting too long to make their decision. Admit their mistake.
    Ed apologized profusely in the video. People will get over it or not, remain fans or not. Maybe some here need to find a band (lots of 'em out there) that doesn't care about social and environmental issues and such. What the hay, there always the Nug!
    I agree. Pearl Jam did what was right for them and apologized for the inconvenience and the fans have "vented". If the pissed fans can't accept that then they should move along, life's too short to be a wet blanket.
    I'm guessing the average fan is either over this or will be soon enough. I think part of the deal here is that some people just have this need to be pissed off at someone, some just need to vent a bit and the rest have moved on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    muskydan said:

callen said:

muskydan said:

Say it ain't so... I'd be fuming if I were traveling to this show. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but if you had tics to this show let's hear from you....your true feelings not some BS PC feelings..

So this is the band you like. This is the bands fan website to which you visit. PJ has been very clear about their positions on social matters. PJ fans mostly agree with their positions and like them for matching their views

So hope to hear WMA soon. .

Timing could of been better.
    So what's your point?? Are you implying this band is not for me since I don't agree w/ many of their political statements?? I like rock n Roll period...cause it's only Rock n roll and I like it. You know, Not everyone's mind who likes this band is rotted to the core liberal Mumbo Jumbo...

Getting back to the point, I would love to hear from someone who was directly effected by this Fuck You move by the boys.... Someone chime in who has tics...
    You restated my point. It's a liberal Mumbo Jumbo band.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

^^^^ P.S. I'm very liberal. To be, this is a misguided but unenforceable law. I don't forsee the formation of a State Bathroom Police. I guess I'm missing the outrage(?)

It's state sponsored discrimination. And is enforceable.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    See, the reason I think it's pretty cool the band did this is because they don't care what anyone thinks. They may feel a little badly for the fans, but it didn't outweigh what they knew to be right.

It is, after all, just a concert.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

In other news. Earthquakes rocking Japan and Ecuador. Seem to be some kind of little skirmish in a far away land called Syria. Couple busses got blown up in Jerusalem. Saudi Arabia is publically seeking to influence our Congress. Egypt just received an military aid package from France to include naval vessels and aircraft. And Yemen remains a hot spot. Opec isnt cutting production........

"American constitution trampled on by state law. Business's and artists fighting with dollars".
  • Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

Son of a gun... AMT having much more civil discussion that what we're seeing on the porch. It's a blood bath up there!

I'm sure I would be unhappy if Missoula (my one and only PJ show) had been cancelled. It took my wife and I three or four days to get there and we were on small roads and highways- no cell phone service most of the time, never any internet and didn't even bother to buy a newspaper. It was a getaway kind of trip. We would have gotten there and missed the show. But for a good cause, I honestly believe I would NOT have spewed the kind of venom and anger I'm seeing on the porch. We would still have made a good road trip out of it, hopefully met some of you good folks I did meet there, would have made plans for another show and would still be a fan. I just can't get behind all the hate.

It's strange when you here a lot of hate coming from people who aren't even going to the show. Doesn't effect them in any way, so why are they so angry?
    Insecurity.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    I'm guessing the average fan is either over this or will be soon enough. I think part of the deal here is that some people just have this need to be pissed off at someone, some just need to vent a bit and the rest have moved on.
    They need to.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxr2PJ06Y4
  • Options
    Free said:

See, the reason I think it's pretty cool the band did this is because they don't care what anyone thinks. They may feel a little badly for the fans, but it didn't outweigh what they knew to be right.

It is, after all, just a concert.

I was just thinking the same thing. Some of the responses I've seen read like, "I had heart surgery scheduled in Raleigh and Dr. Vedder cancelled on me and I spent my kids college funds to get here and now my whole year is shot."

At the same time, I've read a lot of good stuff from people who were disappointed but understand the concept of priorities.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    callen said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

Son of a gun... AMT having much more civil discussion that what we're seeing on the porch. It's a blood bath up there!

I'm sure I would be unhappy if Missoula (my one and only PJ show) had been cancelled. It took my wife and I three or four days to get there and we were on small roads and highways- no cell phone service most of the time, never any internet and didn't even bother to buy a newspaper. It was a getaway kind of trip. We would have gotten there and missed the show. But for a good cause, I honestly believe I would NOT have spewed the kind of venom and anger I'm seeing on the porch. We would still have made a good road trip out of it, hopefully met some of you good folks I did meet there, would have made plans for another show and would still be a fan. I just can't get behind all the hate.

It's strange when you here a lot of hate coming from people who aren't even going to the show. Doesn't effect them in any way, so why are they so angry?
    Insecurity.
    I'm not following this, at all.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

callen said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

Insecurity.
    Callen's response or the whole thing?

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

I think they're angry either because they're angry in general to begin with, can't see the big picture in all of this or simply choose not to, and/or can't understand what it's like to be oppressed.

• Options
    brianlux said:

callen said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

Insecurity.
    haha Callen's response.
    severed hand thirteen

• Options

brianlux said:

callen said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

Insecurity.
    haha Callen's response.
    Yeah, I dunno. "Insecurity". Sounds like a Pearl Jam song title, haha!

• Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

callen said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

Insecurity.
    haha Callen's response.
    :lol:
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    i am sorry, but if your life is now ruined because a band canceled a show, you had no life.

i understand that people make travel plans and spent time and money. i get that. and i agree that it sucks.

ed and the boys don't owe anybody an apology. this is how they are choosing to make it known that they will not play in a state that supports these lawmakers and this law. there are other states with similar laws pending a vote. you can't be neutral on a moving train. pearl jam are not being neutral.

would you be happier if ed and the boys rolled in to town and did not feel like being there and phoned in a show? personally i would be insulted if they did that. you can't give your best effort if you are somewhere where something offends your sensibilities and your conscience.

at first i felt a lot of empathy for the people missing out, but with the overwhelming amount of butthurt i have witnessed in the facebook groups, now i don't. i actually feel indifferent about it. if people are so pissed off that they want to do something, they should contact the people in the list that i provided a couple of pages back.

i'm sorry, but that is just how i feel.

some people were saying that playing the show accompanied by an eddie rant would carry more weight than a cancellation. i completely disagree. i have been to dozens of shows and witnessed dozens of ed rants. you know what happens during ed rants? The message gets lost in the beer and the weed smoke. it does not resonate until people watch it on youtube or you rediscover that moment on a bootleg.

i am sorry if you disagree with me. that is just how i feel and it is my experience and my truth.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

callen said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

Insecurity.
    Okay maybe a better word would be reality. If one is angry and wasn't invested have to think one of the driving forces is backlash of recent moves towards normalcy for homosexuals and transgendered.

And having a band they really enjoy publicly support this move in American society. Double whammy.

Do also feel many males aren't very secure in their sexuality that all this is threatening.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

callen said:

dignin said:

brianlux said:

Insecurity.
    haha Callen's response.
    Hahahahaha. Well they did all the "man" songs, leather better etc that indifference needed some back up.
  • Options
    Money talks, BS walks. Removing money most effective.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    I find it funny that people talk about the emotional, religious experience of a pearl jam concert....

And then when one is canceled they say their message would have been lost in the beer and weed.

I personally think that playing the show could have done more for the cause. But it wasn't my choice to make.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    callen said:

Money talks, BS walks. Removing money most effective.

Except by waiting so long, lots of $ still being spent in NC
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

lukin2006 said:

When was the HB2 bill first introduced to the state legislature? Was it before the tour was announced?

No that bill was conceived, written, voted, passed and signed within 2 days.

The REAL reason for that bill (and most like it) is to also jam through other attacks on freedoms and the working poor... limiting minimum wages, taking away worker's rights... as long as they wrap it up in "trans women are going to molest your daughter" rhetoric people will support it.
    Yet these are the same idiots who support a candidate who wants to screw his own daughter.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    http://www.stereogum.com/1872689/father-john-misty-shares-statement-about-his-upcoming-north-carolina-show/news/?utm_source=sc-fb&utm_medium=ref&utm_campaign

Father John Misty has announced that he’ll be donating the proceeds from his North Carolina show next week to Time Out Youth, a local LGBT support center, in protest of the recently passed discriminatory HB2 legislation. Josh Tillman joins a group of artists that include Against Me!, Bruce Springsteen, Cyndi Lauper, and more who have either chosen to cancel their scheduled shows or donate money to charities because of the law.

In a statement to Rolling Stone, Tillman called the bill “bullshit,” but explained that he will still play the show anyway:

The bill is obviously bullshit. [If] I thought playing a show for my fans in North Carolina was in any way some tacit endorsement of this fearful, petty, ignorant nonsense, I wouldn’t. I also play states that have oppressive drug laws designed to imprison the disenfranchised, rig elections, deny women their dignity, defend the reckless and insane practice of selling guns and sustain a permanent underclass with hypocritical, opportunist readings of archaic documents written by land-stealers who never intended political privilege to extend past their buddies.

These are obviously all huge systemic problems. But for me, this show represents a start in investing in the plight of other Americans.

Father John Misty is scheduled to perform in North Carolina on 4/27 at the Fillmore Charlotte.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

http://www.stereogum.com/1872689/father-john-misty-shares-statement-about-his-upcoming-north-carolina-show/news/?utm_source=sc-fb&utm_medium=ref&utm_campaign

Father John Misty has announced that he’ll be donating the proceeds from his North Carolina show next week to Time Out Youth, a local LGBT support center, in protest of the recently passed discriminatory HB2 legislation. Josh Tillman joins a group of artists that include Against Me!, Bruce Springsteen, Cyndi Lauper, and more who have either chosen to cancel their scheduled shows or donate money to charities because of the law.

In a statement to Rolling Stone, Tillman called the bill “bullshit,” but explained that he will still play the show anyway:

The bill is obviously bullshit. [If] I thought playing a show for my fans in North Carolina was in any way some tacit endorsement of this fearful, petty, ignorant nonsense, I wouldn’t. I also play states that have oppressive drug laws designed to imprison the disenfranchised, rig elections, deny women their dignity, defend the reckless and insane practice of selling guns and sustain a permanent underclass with hypocritical, opportunist readings of archaic documents written by land-stealers who never intended political privilege to extend past their buddies.

These are obviously all huge systemic problems. But for me, this show represents a start in investing in the plight of other Americans.

Father John Misty is scheduled to perform in North Carolina on 4/27 at the Fillmore Charlotte.

Cares but not that much.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Some artists cancel and some decide to play. But here's the thing- we wouldn't even hear about the ones who are deciding to play if not for the bands that boycotted and cancelled. That is what is making all this a big issue. It's the boycotting that makes the biggest headlines and press, without a doubt. All these artists that are playing and donating money weren't going to donate shit until other bands started boycotting.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-north-carolina-bathroom-bill_us_5718ca1ee4b0c9244a7aec8c

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said on Thursday that transgender people should be allowed to use whichever bathroom they prefer.

During a town hall on NBC, Trump said North Carolina’s anti-LGBT bathroom measure, which has hurt the state economically, wasn’t necessary and sought to address a problem that wasn’t really a big issue. The bill also prohibits local municipalities from passing additional measures to protect lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people from discrimination.

“North Carolina did something that was very strong and they’re paying a big price. There’s a lot of problems,” Trump said. “You leave it the way it is. There have been very few complaints the way it is. People go, they use the bathroom they feel is appropriate, there has been so little trouble, and the problem with what happened in North Carolina is the strife, and the economic punishment that they’re taking.”

Advocates of the North Carolina law, which only allows people to use the restroom that corresponds with the gender on their birth certificate, say it is necessary to protect the privacy of children. As Trump pointed out, the suggestion that allowing transgender people to use the bathroom they want will jeopardize the safety of other people is a myth.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I have moved on, but just saw this thread...

Please don't paint the character of people based on their disappointment in the cancellation. For me, this is what is riling me up.

I do not like it when people lose human rights/liberty/dignity... but I think the move by the band to cancel does not matter in the big picture. Looking at the Raleigh Observer yesterday, it was wall to wall HB2 coverage, overwhelmingly negative, without any mention of Pearl Jam cancelling from what I was able to see in arms' reach. The Delta of what the 'cause' gets by them cancelling, compared to a dozen other actions they could have done was not worth what the shrapnel caught by their fans... not to mention Raleigh itself is a pretty liberal pocket of NC with plenty of liberal college kids. The financial loss to the State of NC? a fraction of a penny in the big picture.

Cancelling 2 days ahead of time was a bit harsh. Someone was actually trying to say that the band has no idea that people travel to shows. Others are saying that we should just applaud them and its "just a concert" (as someone with >30,000 posts on the band's message board told me).

The law is on death row anyways. Took a huge blow in Federal Court Tuesday (independent of musicians' actions). The thing had to pass in a back room and people in NC hate it. The old guard and social belief system is dying out.

But anyways, I'm moving on. I'm not so upset at the band as I am upset at a lot of the high-horse sitting that happened around here and on the FB groups. Other fans make characterizations and suggest that I am selfish and insensitive because I am disappointed and disagree cancelling was the right move. I can say with certainty most of those same people would be singing a completely different tune if it were their show that was cancelled.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I have moved on, but just saw this thread...

Please don't paint the character of people based on their disappointment in the cancellation. For me, this is what is riling me up.

I do not like it when people lose human rights/liberty/dignity... but I think the move by the band to cancel does not matter in the big picture. Looking at the Raleigh Observer yesterday, it was wall to wall HB2 coverage, overwhelmingly negative, without any mention of Pearl Jam cancelling from what I was able to see in arms' reach. The Delta of what the 'cause' gets by them cancelling, compared to a dozen other actions they could have done was not worth what the shrapnel caught by their fans... not to mention Raleigh itself is a pretty liberal pocket of NC with plenty of liberal college kids. The financial loss to the State of NC? a fraction of a penny in the big picture.

Cancelling 2 days ahead of time was a bit harsh. Someone was actually trying to say that the band has no idea that people travel to shows. Others are saying that we should just applaud them and its "just a concert" (as someone with >30,000 posts on the band's message board told me).

The law is on death row anyways. Took a huge blow in Federal Court Tuesday (independent of musicians' actions). The thing had to pass in a back room and people in NC hate it. The old guard and social belief system is dying out.

But anyways, I'm moving on. I'm not so upset at the band as I am upset at a lot of the high-horse sitting that happened around here and on the FB groups. Other fans make characterizations and suggest that I am selfish and insensitive because I am disappointed and disagree cancelling was the right move. I can say with certainty most of those same people would be singing a completely different tune if it were their show that was cancelled.

As much as I was behind the move, I admit it was a bummer to do it on such short notice.

The thing that disappointed me most was the fans (mostly on The Porch threads) berating the shit out of each other from both sides. Harsh name calling, aggressive posturing, etc. The anger is somewhat understandable but honest to god, if this place were in the real world I think some knife fights would have broken out. Not always a very peaceful bunch for a band that promotes peace.

Hopefully Porch fans will come together a bit more after this blows over. You and I had a slight misunderstanding and patched it up quite nicely (thanks!) so hopefully others will do the same. PJ fans at shows are very together and a great bunch of people so hopefully that can happen on these forums as well.