Options

Pearl Jam cancels Raleigh, NC show over HB2

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Wobbie said:

^^^^ P.S. I'm very liberal. To be, this is a misguided but unenforceable law. I don't forsee the formation of a State Bathroom Police. I guess I'm missing the outrage(?)

Could be just the start of many laws. Have to take a stand somewhere.

Besides, it's more about the message the law is trying to send. Trying to set those "strange trans" people in their place.

The bigots that passed this law need to be stood up too.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    I get where you're coming from but I'm not sure if the politicians are bigots or maybe merely idiots.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

I get where you're coming from but I'm not sure if the politicians are bigots or maybe merely idiots.

One of the two or both I would imagine.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    *bigiots.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

*bigiots.

Perfect

also *idigots or *idiogots
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    This is why I love this band. Good going guys.
    I wanted to sign the petition, but it only seems to be for people living in the US.

I find it absurd that this can happen in 2016.
    The people responsible should go to jail.
    I am amazed that two people finding love in this harsh world can offend people so much they would make a law to make their live harder and withhold them of basis rights.

It shouldn't have even been possible to get this far.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    MamaKimMamaKim Posts: 2
    Ray Charles took a stand against segregation in GA. Some times taking a stand for the greater good of all people and speaking out against discrimination IS the right thing to do. Keeping the pressure on. Bringing attention to the wrongdoing. It might be starting to work. TN, my home state, dropped their own version of this ridiculous bill today. I'm sad for the fans in NC because I was just at the Greenville SC show which was so amazing, but I am proud of PJ for taking a stand
    Kim
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited April 2016
    Self-flagellation is what this will amount to.
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i'd really like to hear why it took so long to make this decision ...

i wish there was a way of compensating everyone who spend a lot of money to attend these shows ... the major CC companies could make a huge stand here if they were to facilitate reimbursements for those that booked flights and hotel rooms ...
  • Options
    When you get down to the brass tacks, if this sets precedent, there will be only a handful of places in the world where PJ should play a show if there is some piece of legislation they disagree with. They will will have to focus on Norway or someplace special in the land of gum drops and lolly pops.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

When you get down to the brass tacks, if this sets precedent, there will be only a handful of places in the world where PJ should play a show if there is some piece of legislation they disagree with. They will will have to focus on Norway or someplace special in the land of gum drops and lolly pops.

Not really how that works. You can take up one cause without taking up them all. But if that was how it works I would be okay with that, I'm guessing more Canadian tours.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757

does anybody for one second think that the band did not weigh this backlash against them? did they not expect it?

you know that they did. and you know they probably feel bad about the people that are inconvenienced by their decision.

but you know where ed is right now?

on stage in virginia not giving a flying turd about their haters.

Somebody put up a cell phone video of facebook of Ed talking about the decision to cancel in NC and you can easily see from it that this was not an easy decision and that Ed felt bad about it for the fans that were let down. I can't find that video but if anyone finds it, would be worth posting here (or on the porch)- might help to ease some of the anger.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    I am sure it was a tough decision but perhaps when Bruce canceled on the 8th Pearl Jam could have canceled then too and not wait until 48 hours prior to show time. It is their right to cancel and I fully support their choice, but I do not support the fact they waited to make that decision.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

I am sure it was a tough decision but perhaps when Bruce canceled on the 8th Pearl Jam could have canceled then too and not wait until 48 hours prior to show time. It is their right to cancel and I fully support their choice, but I do not support the fact they waited to make that decision.

This, 100%. I'm sure it was a tough decision. I'm sure it could have been made a week+ ago. I'm sure Eddie's anguish is something a bottle of wine will erase. I know it sent a message to the fan base letting them know where he places the fans on his value chain, and what he thinks about commitments and contracts.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    Perhaps the boys should hire someone to review laws of the state they are planning on playing and skip the states that they do not agree with.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited April 2016
    jeffbr said:

This, 100%. I'm sure it was a tough decision. I'm sure it could have been made a week+ ago. I'm sure Eddie's anguish is something a bottle of wine will erase. I know it sent a message to the fan base letting them know where he places the fans on his value chain, and what he thinks about commitments and contracts.
    Trying to stay on the sidelines of this entire conversation, but Raleigh aside, I would hope that we can all agree that we would want our to band place equality above performing for their fans.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    When was the HB2 bill first introduced to the state legislature? Was it before the tour was announced? If so perhaps the best time to cancel would have been then, its much easier to stop/change a bill before its law...not 3 days before the concert. It is what i is, highly doubt a few rock acts not playing North Carolina will have much impact. Now if Nascar and all teams that are based in North Carolina picked up and left then things might get accomplished...imo...and I do think paying customers come first...and these concerts could have still went on with and all proceeds could have been given for legal action and the stage could have been used by the groups to promote LGBT rights...imo.

In the end I do support the bands right to cancel a show in support of LGBT rights...just not convinced a few rock acts will make a difference.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

jeffbr said:

Trying to stay on the sidelines of this entire conversation, but Raleigh aside, I would hope that we can all agree that we would want our to band place equality above performing for their fans.
    I agree with you, since you said Raleigh aside. My negative comments regarding PJ's lack of respect for fans, and for contracts and commitments have to do with the circumstances specific to Raleigh, and the timing of their contract breach. Had they cancelled a week+ ago and not thrown their fans under the bus, this entire discussion would have been remarkably different. Some people still would have been mad about the cancellation, but most fans would have understood and been fine with it. The way they handled this case showed incredible irresponsibility, and a disdain for their fans. But I'm sure Ed made Bruce proud, and that's the important thing.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

I agree with you, since you said Raleigh aside. My negative comments regarding PJ's lack of respect for fans, and for contracts and commitments have to do with the circumstances specific to Raleigh, and the timing of their contract breach. Had they cancelled a week+ ago and not thrown their fans under the bus, this entire discussion would have been remarkably different. Some people still would have been mad about the cancellation, but most fans would have understood and been fine with it. The way they handled this case showed incredible irresponsibility, and a disdain for their fans. But I'm sure Ed made Bruce proud, and that's the important thing.
    I do agree that the timing was terrible.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited April 2016
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

Completely agree with your assessment here..If the announcement would have been a week ago it would have given some fans time to cancel and rearrange show plans possibly

My original "anger" to it all was how the fans were an afterthought in the whole process and how insincere it appears when they rode Bruce's coattails when they made this decision

I just don't understand why they couldn't hold a rally, play the concert have their voices heard created one hell of a concert atmosphere with a just cause, and then donate some money to the cause...imagine how much exposure all that would have given to the issue

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

When was the HB2 bill first introduced to the state legislature? Was it before the tour was announced?

No that bill was conceived, written, voted, passed and signed within 2 days.

The REAL reason for that bill (and most like it) is to also jam through other attacks on freedoms and the working poor... limiting minimum wages, taking away worker's rights... as long as they wrap it up in "trans women are going to molest your daughter" rhetoric people will support it.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Jason P said:

Not really how that works. You can take up one cause without taking up them all. But if that was how it works I would be okay with that, I'm guessing more Canadian tours.
    Well, a standard has been set on laws that discriminate and if PJ will play in that entire region. There are many states and countries (entire continents in some cases) that have laws that people could argue discriminate against others.

If this isn't how it works, the canceling the concert is not working.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    muskydan said:

Say it ain't so... I'd be fuming if I were traveling to this show. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but if you had tics to this show let's hear from you....your true feelings not some BS PC feelings..

I guess not to many agree with you on this , my true feelings !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

This isn't about the law.I think we all agree it's bullshit.This is about timing and last minute nonsense.
    If they really wanted an impact they would have continued to play and been vocal leaders getting the fans to come together in mass,to denounce the law.That would have been the way to go.

That does nothing for the cause we here on the forum would be talking about it but no one else ....
    They cancelled and it makes the news way more effective..
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

lukin2006 said:

When was the HB2 bill first introduced to the state legislature? Was it before the tour was announced?

No that bill was conceived, written, voted, passed and signed within 2 days.

The REAL reason for that bill (and most like it) is to also jam through other attacks on freedoms and the working poor... limiting minimum wages, taking away worker's rights... as long as they wrap it up in "trans women are going to molest your daughter" rhetoric people will support it.
    Thank you for the clarification...any legislation that was conceived, written, voted, passed and signed within 2 days ... should raise warnings signs with the electorate.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

muskydan said:

Say it ain't so... I'd be fuming if I were traveling to this show. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but if you had tics to this show let's hear from you....your true feelings not some BS PC feelings..

No surprise there with all the Libby mush brains that adore PJ and put them on some high pedistal

BTW, if you don't think they delayed this cancellation so they could get ALL the spot light 2 weeks later and not tread on Bruce's, Well you ain't paying attention. 35$ t-shirts, 65$ Cheap ass Hoodies, $25 dollar hats.... I mean come on, all of their merch is just crap cheap shit other then the posters. its not cheap living the cherished life.
    I ain't mad at'em, make it while you can is what I say....don't ever forget that lovely STYX song, The Grand Illusion.... I fool'em everyday...
  • Options
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

No surprise there with all the Libby mush brains that adore PJ and put them on some high pedistal

BTW, if you don't think they delayed this cancellation so they could get ALL the spot light 2 weeks later and not tread on Bruce's, Well you ain't paying attention. 35$ t-shirts, 65$ Cheap ass Hoodies, $25 dollar hats.... I mean come on, all of their merch is just crap cheap shit other then the posters. its not cheap living the cherished life.
    I ain't mad at'em, make it while you can is what I say....don't ever forget that lovely STYX song, The Grand Illusion.... I fool'em everyday...
    Hey what ever works for you I say ..
  • Options
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    brianlux said:
    Pearl Jam made a mistake, a big mistake, in not canceling sooner. They waited too long and in that screwed over their fans. They should apologize for waiting too long to make their decision. Admit their mistake.
  • Options

brianlux said:
    Pearl Jam made a mistake, a big mistake, in not canceling sooner. They waited too long and in that screwed over their fans. They should apologize for waiting too long to make their decision. Admit their mistake.
    Ed apologized profusely in the video. People will get over it or not, remain fans or not. Maybe some here need to find a band (lots of 'em out there) that doesn't care about social and environmental issues and such. What the hay, there always the Nug!