One Guns n' Roses ticket cost me almost the same amt as all four PJ Fenway and Wrigley Shows

Comments

• edwhoedwho Posts: 811

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edwho said:

https://youtu.be/o1tj2zJ2Wvg

love the hair band argument

That video speaks for itself in both video and audio lol
    If they killed the hair bands, they did it by being the best hair band around.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

edwho said:

Yep, hard to argue with that when you see the hair in that video. But they were way way harder than hair band music to me. Remember "get in the ring?" Lol, that's no where near hair band, that's just straight aggressive as hell. Hair bands were softer and less distortion to my ears. To me not a hair band but I totally see if you were 2 at the time you'd lump them into that group
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    G'n'R is to hair band as
    this guy is to heavy metal...
  • coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,457
    edited April 2016
    GNR and Metallica were considered Heavy Metal back in the late 80's and early 90's. Bands like Poison, Def Leppard, Motley Crew and Whitesnake were the Hair Bands. GNR would play in a garage and pass out from drinking gasoline. Poison would play at fitness club and drink mimosas. I can't wait to see GNR at least once this summer.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
    imageHollywood Rose at Madame Wong's East on June 28, 1984

google images Axl big hair...hours of fun.
    ~

and if its merch sales keeping our PJ tickets affordable, long live dog collars :smiley:

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• ZodZod Posts: 10,502
    edited April 2016

GNR and Metallica were considered Heavy Metal back in the late 80's and early 90's. Bands like Poison, Def Leppard, Motley Crew and Whitesnake were the Hair Bands. GNR would play in a garage and pass out from drinking gasoline. Poison would play at fitness club and drink mimosas. I can't wait to see GNR at least once this summer.

Yah, GNR got me out of Hair Metal. I listed to alot of Def Leppard as a kid, but GNR was like setting fire to gasoline. I guess people think GNR is hair metal because of how they are dressed in the welcome to the jungle video, but they were far from the poppy hair metal genre. GNR felt like rock music on fire. It was raw. Definitely a bridge to the grunge music that followed them a few years later.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,624
    edited April 2016

rgambs said:

edwho said:

Yep, hard to argue with that when you see the hair in that video.
    Judging the band by their looks is silly.
    That video is the one and only time you see Axl with his hair all teased out like that, after that always just straight (until the corn rows kicked in after he lost his marbles). Said in an interview back then that it wasn't his choice and after seeing it decided never again.

If you define them as a hair band because they had long hair, well then
    isn't Led Zeppelin a hair band:

In fact weren't The Beatles at one point a hair band...

Hair band is the stupidest moniker the media ever came up with, much dumber than grunge.

This weekend we rock Portland
    Zod said:

Yah, GNR got me out of Hair Metal. I listed to alot of Def Leppard as a kid, but GNR was like setting fire to gasoline. I guess people think GNR is hair metal because of how they are dressed in the welcome to the jungle video, but they were far from the poppy hair metal genre. GNR felt like rock music on fire. It was raw. Definitely a bridge to the grunge music that followed them a few years later.
    It was definitely more raw and explosive, very heavy stuff. To argue against that would make no sense, the point I have been failing to make is that stylistically they fall into the same category.
    Poncier said:

rgambs said:

edwho said:

Yep, hard to argue with that when you see the hair in that video.
    Judging the band by their looks is silly.
    That video is the one and only time you see Axl with his hair all teased out like that, after that always just straight (until the corn rows kicked in after he lost his marbles). Said in an interview back then that it wasn't his choice and after seeing it decided never again.

If you define them as a hair band because they had long hair, well then
    isn't Led Zeppelin a hair band:

In fact weren't The Beatles at one point a hair band...

Hair band is the stupidest moniker the media ever came up with, much dumber than grunge.

It isn't just a judgement on looks though, the basic makeup and sound of the band is the exact same archetype as the hair bands. As I mentioned before, a screeching falsetto singer, a heavy but uncelebrated rhythm section, and soaring, powerful lead guitar.
    Don't get me wrong, some of the greatest bands ever share some of all of those characteristics (even Zep and Pearl Jam) but the formula was getting stale.
    Did GNR rip it open and tear it down with raw explosiveness? Sure, maybe they did, but it isn't realistic to credit them as a new sound or style.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    "Hair Bands" used hairspray.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    edited April 2016
    mwplum said:

If you've only seen bits and pieces (such as footage from Friday's show that was a $10 warm up at a small club), I would highly recommend checking out footage/setlist from Vancouver 2011, and some of the last setlists from Vegas in 2014. Axl sounds great, the band was playing 3 hour+ shows, and they were revitalized.

While it's easy to slag on them now, I would be more interested in seeing their Vegas setlists/footage from this coming weekend (the first real shows) as an indicator of what to expect for this tour.

$1700 great??? ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,012
    edited April 2016
    If you didn't live through it, I too can see how you would consider GNR a hair band.

If you were around for it though, you would know they were different. People knew the second they heard GNR, that they were different from everything else out there.

Look at early pictures of Alice & Chains, they had the big hair & spandex outfits too, but no one ever mistook them for a hair band.

edited April 2016

Yeah absolutely. I have never ever heard GnR referred to as a hair band before. I definitely don't think they ever were, and I know that that wasn't how people in general saw them at the time.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

If you didn't live through it, I too can see how you would consider GNR a hair band.

If you were around for it though, you would know they were different. People knew the second they heard GNR, that they were different from everything else out there.

Look at early pictures of Alice & Chains, they had the big hair & spandex outfits too, but no one ever mistook them for a hair band.

• Peyton18Peyton18 Posts: 216
    People shouldn't criticize someone for paying that much band! These guys have not toured in 23 years! Nobody thought they would get back together! I can honestly say if Pearl Jam broke up for 23 years and then decided to tour I would pay that kind of cash in a heartbeat to see them! It's a good deal of money but it's a chance to see them if you couldn't back in the day. Look at AC/DC! They might be done as a band because Brian Johnson is going deaf! Glad to say I saw them a few times! Have to enjoy these band while you have a chance!
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    edited April 2016
    Whether you love them or hate them (or somewhere in between), as thread gets longer and longer, the fact that GNR is/was a big deal only becomes more apparent.
  • PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

Brisk. said:

How much was a regular GNR ticket...?

Last night, $10

I checked TM for pit tickets $1746 face, from venue.
    That's ridiculous. I don't understand why anyone would pay that at this point. They must be people who haven't seen his more recent performances/trainwrecks on youtube.
    I pulled GA Pit tickets in Seattle today using the citi presale. $250.00 plus fees. The $1746.00 is a VIP package that comes with a hoodie and some other crapola. Still crazy expensive, but it is possible to get pit seats without forking $1700+ over.
    Gorge
    PJ_Soul said:

$1700 great??? ;)

not in this lifetime.
    I'm saving that money for a dream Roger Waters and David Gilmour tour.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• edwho said:

PJ_Soul said:

$1700 great??? ;)

not in this lifetime.
    I'm saving that money for a dream Roger Waters and David Gilmour tour.

The Gilmour reviews were pretty fantastic that I read from the HB shows.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2016/03/28/david-gilmour-hollywood-bowl/
    Gorge

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• rummy said:

Whether you love them or hate them (or somewhere in between), as thread gets longer and longer, the fact that GNR is/was a big deal only becomes more apparent.

Yes. I believe they still have the record for biggest selling debut album ever. Slash was so fucking good at a young age.
  • ^^ love it.

Yeah don't mistake me, I never thought gnr was a hair band. They were guns n f'n roses. Badass rock to the core
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

Brisk. said:

How much was a regular GNR ticket...?

Last night, $10

I checked TM for pit tickets $1746 face, from venue.
    That's ridiculous. I don't understand why anyone would pay that at this point. They must be people who haven't seen his more recent performances/trainwrecks on youtube.
    I pulled GA Pit tickets in Seattle today using the citi presale. $250.00 plus fees. The $1746.00 is a VIP package that comes with a hoodie and some other crapola. Still crazy expensive, but it is possible to get pit seats without forking $1700+ over.
    I didn't get it, because the Riser at the back of the floor makes little sense, but does 2nd line of what package include change folks (that drink) minds? What about the collectors among us and the VIP Book? What about being able to secure the ticket and not have to stress about an open sale/Club lottery?

I think some of this stuff that bands do would be very well received around these parts if folks thought about how much they are spending on merch, drinks, ticket stress, etc. The higher ones also come with paid parking which at some of these stadiums can be $50. Just sayin'. (Though $1,700 just to step on stage when it clearly says no band members does seem a bit loony, but who am I to judge? I'm sure there's folks around here that would do that in hopes of Ed poking his head out if it were offered.)

CIVIL WAR VIP RISER PACKAGE
    Package includes:
    One general admission standing ticket in the VIP Riser near the mixing board!
    Private access to your own open bar with beer and wine!*
    Official Guns N Roses VIP Riser laminate
    Limited edition Guns N Roses VIP book in custom packaging!
    VIP commemorative concert ticket
    Private VIP check in location with red carpet entrance
    VIP Concierge team on site
    *Subject to local liquor laws. Bar times will vary by venue.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,624
    edwho said:

:lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • gjv76gjv76 Posts: 35
    edwho said:

Look at these hair band dorks! Threads like this make me hate the arrogance of PJ fans.
    gjv76 said:

edwho said:

Look at these hair band dorks! Threads like this make me hate the arrogance of PJ fans.
    Hahaha oh Lord lighten up and take a chill pill.
    Having an opinion and expressing it calmly is not arrogance.
    gjv76 said:

edwho said:

:lol:

Queen 1976

Trend setters and $12.50 in 1982. VIP’s didn’t pay.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018