Options

One Guns n' Roses ticket cost me almost the same amt as all four PJ Fenway and Wrigley Shows

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,873
    And I'm sure the tour will be just as good as Chinese democracy :lol:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

rgambs said:

Sounds like a just punishment for going to see one of the lamest bands ever. Is Bret Michaels opening for them??

Et tu, gambo?!

Though those ticket prices are pretty damn expensive. There are maybe one or two artists/bands I'd even consider going that high for.
    Yep, I have always disliked GNR.

They are cheeeeeeeesy, almost on a Def Leopard level.
    Bad lyrics 90% related to partying, bad falsetto both high and low, great guitar work...that's a crappy hair band if I have ever heard one!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

rgambs said:

Sounds like a just punishment for going to see one of the lamest bands ever. Is Bret Michaels opening for them??

Et tu, gambo?!

Though those ticket prices are pretty damn expensive. There are maybe one or two artists/bands I'd even consider going that high for.

Bad lyrics 90% related to partying, bad falsetto both high and low, great guitar work...that's a crappy hair band if I have ever heard one!
    You get points for acknowledging the great guitar work (I'd put Slash up there with the best of them), but still....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    Guns n Roses is one of the great all time bands. They helped usher out the shitty 80's music. I am not so excited to see this GNR band but would have paid a ton to see them early 90's.

They have so many great songs. Can go from Welcome to the Jungle to Patience.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    To be clear, my ticket was $280 after service charges for a good side wing seat. For me that works out to about $375 Canadian dollars, which is way more than I've ever paid to see the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Uncle Neil, and even as much as Coachella and Reading festivals have cost me in the past.

Also, I'm fairly certain that for all 4 shows at Fenway/Wrigley this summer, I spent about $320. So just about the same.

I was a huge G'n'R' fan from 1991 onwards, but was also only 10 years old then. I missed seeing them back then, so this is something I've been waiting 20 years for, so I am willing to part with that much money, but wouldn't do that for any other band (doesn't mean I can't feel sick about it!).

I did see the 2011 version G'n'R' in Vancouver, and (surprisingly) it was incredible! For all the flack Axl takes, he put on a determined performance. They played for over 3 hours, and it was the only time I've ever left a venue in Vancouver or Seattle at 2:30 am (because they didn't come on til 11, but the venue completely allowed them to violate curfew...we'll see what happens on this tour.) If they can hold things together, this tour has so much potential.

Anyways I certainly wouldn't have money for any of those ridiculous VIP packages, which was the main point of my post. PJ and 10C tickets keeps the best PIT and Res seats for us all for about $80 per ticket and a $20/year membership fee which is incredible in this day and age.

Almost all other stadium shows have moved to the "VIP" model. For example, GnR's PIT was VIP, charging almost $2000 USD per ticket, which is the same the Stones charged on their 2012 tour for being "in the tongue pit", GnR have also saved the first 10 rows of the floor and other prime areas for VIP only packages that cost between ($600-1000). The effect being that with our boys, the best seats are saved for us, whereas in these cases they're basically just saved for the ultra rich
    ...(which imo makes for lame, poseur PITs, and prime areas full of douches taking selfies the whole show).

I realize that almost all stadium shows are that way these days, which is why I am thankful PJ doesn't do it. It's the only reason many of us can follow them and see multiple shows. If they were selling VIP packages, and regular seats cost $280, we'd only get to see them once if lucky.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,374
    I try to think of what I spend on concert tix as value for the money. PJ is a tremendous value for what they cost: long shows, varied set-lists, amazing energy. I seriously CAN'T imagine how GnR is at all worth what you paid.....I guess if you are nostalgic and want to try to relive the hey-day of that band, then great. But seriously? MORE than all 4 PJ stadium shows? All I can say is I hope you enjoy, it was your choice.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

rgambs said:

Et tu, gambo?!

Gnr had party songs? LOL. They had a lot of angry tunes related to drugs and women but no feel good party lyrics. Paradise City is the closest you can get to that i guess. Like em or not but hes a great lyricist. Very dark tunes. Controversial sometimes. Political etc.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited April 2016
    Gnr are/were a great band, there's no debate. I won't pay these prices but would go see them for sure if it was more modestly priced. Acl rose was actually found to be the vocalist with one of the biggest vocal ranges ever at just over 5 octaves. Guinness has Tim storms at ten. Take from it what you will, he's a jackass, yes, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.spin.com/2014/05/vocal-range-chart-axl-rose-mariah-carey-prince-thom-yorke/

Edit, here's the actual chart- pretty cool:
    http://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-greatest-vocal-ranges
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    rgambs said:

Without knowing the age of people replying I really think someones love/like of GN'R comes down to how old you were when Appetite For Destruction came out. I was 15 and it's hard to overstate how hard this album knocked everyone on their ass when it came out. in 1987 Madonna, Whitney Houston, George Michael, Michael Jackson....those kinds of artists ruled the charts and radio. A lot of really good rock albums came out as well (U2, REM, The Pixies, Midnight Oil) but no album or band seemed as dangerous as Guns N' Roses. They made the glam "metal" bands like Poison/Motley Crue look ridiculous. Yup, Axl's megalomania got out of control (hence bands like Nirvana making fun of them), but in '87 and '88 Guns ruled. It's a total nostalgia trip but I'm excited to see them again. I'll be in the nosebleeds but that's alright.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I always laughed at the small fact that Axl's love for PJ and NIN and Slash's non-love contributed to the breakup. They defenitely wanted to take the band in different directions
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 703
    It's totally nostalgic for me. I think I was 14 when Headbangers ball had Welcome to the jungle on a midnight as a new video. Me and my buddy sat there blown a way. Growing up in Maine- never had a chance to see them. Maybe they came but I was off to college.
  • Options

Guns n Roses is one of the great all time bands. They helped usher out the shitty 80's music. I am not so excited to see this GNR band but would have paid a ton to see them early 90's.

No, no, no, that's ridiculous. Radiohead, Nirvana, PJ, REM,
    halv said:

rgambs said:

Without knowing the age of people replying I really think someones love/like of GN'R comes down to how old you were when Appetite For Destruction came out. I was 15 and it's hard to overstate how hard this album knocked everyone on their ass when it came out. in 1987 Madonna, Whitney Houston, George Michael, Michael Jackson....those kinds of artists ruled the charts and radio. A lot of really good rock albums came out as well (U2, REM, The Pixies, Midnight Oil) but no album or band seemed as dangerous as Guns N' Roses. They made the glam "metal" bands like Poison/Motley Crue look ridiculous. Yup, Axl's megalomania got out of control (hence bands like Nirvana making fun of them), but in '87 and '88 Guns ruled. It's a total nostalgia trip but I'm excited to see them again. I'll be in the nosebleeds but that's alright.
    I was 2 when Appetite for Destruction came out. I don't have rose colored lenses through which to see them, and I don't see much difference between them and the bands they supposedly supplanted. What is the substantive difference? Glammy outfits, falsetto rock ballads with soaring (badass) guitar licks and superficial lyrics...sounds pretty hair bandish to me.
    Nirvana, AIC, Blind Melon, RHCP, Radiohead, REM, Took, PJ, etc, those are the bands that brought a new sound and style to kill the hair bands.

I'm not saying GNR sucks, just that they are vastly overrated musically and culturally.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited April 2016
    It may not seem like a long time but GNR was (really) big a few years before BAND'S like RHCP and Nirvana so AT THE TIME their sound seemed much different than that of Poison, Def Leppard, Warrant, etc.

Once you add bands like Radiohead and the Seattle foursome, The Gunners begin to sound less original.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

halv said:

rgambs said:

I was 2 when Appetite for Destruction came out. I don't have rose colored lenses through which to see them, and I don't see much difference between them and the bands they supposedly supplanted. What is the substantive difference? Glammy outfits, falsetto rock ballads with soaring (badass) guitar licks and superficial lyrics...sounds pretty hair bandish to me.
    Nirvana, AIC, Blind Melon, RHCP, Radiohead, REM, Took, PJ, etc, those are the bands that brought a new sound and style to kill the hair bands.

I'm not saying GNR sucks, just that they are vastly overrated musically and culturally.
    You obviously haven't listened to GnR. I mean Blimd Melon? Ha ha ha ha ha.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I love threads like this. Cracks me up that others think they can tell me what I like/should like.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Shannon Hoon got his start in the industry all because of Axl Rose. Not just singing on the Illusion albums either. Axl pulled a lot of strings.

Theyre not for everyone but they're important. Jeez they were bigger than PJ and Nirvana during the grunge explosion. More popular. They were mega-huge. Just understand that at one time they were seen as the next Stones. Probably the last dangerous huge band. Good and bad The singer is bipolar and sometimes an ego manic and the guitar player was an epic heroin addict. Something had to give. Exciting that theyre back.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496

That's a lot of money for a concert ticket, but I get it.

If GNR is your thing, and you can justify the expense, have fun. I'm not into them enough to consider this show, but they are a bad ass band, and this was a very improbable reunion. This is a big tour.

However, seeing what bands like GNR & Coldplay charge for mediocre seats at enormous football stadiums makes me appreciate what PJ charges and where they play a whole lot more.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,646

To me it comes down to how badly I need to see a particular band , I'm paying $225 for a ticket in the 200 level for Radiohead @ MSG but I would not spend a dime for GnR ..

Exactly - I'll pay $225 to see GnR and not a dime to see Radiohead - I doubt I go with a free ticket.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342

Probably the last dangerous huge band.

i absolutely agree. guns n' roses, a band that once was on top of the world and known as the baddest band around. i personally feel their style was different to a degree in sound compared to 'metal music for the housewife'. it is safe to say guns n' roses knocked out all those bands and wiped their faces on the mat.

i always personally thought another reason why their music was so strongly loved is that not only could they have some really bad ass songs, but even the ballads had their strong points to where i can assume macho men felt the song still rocked instead of being some filler tune for the ladies -- of course nothing wrong with it if that was such a situation at hand.

yes, i would say guns n' roses assisted in planting to seed in killing off what is considered "bad" 80's music, but the seattle scene that appeared later on is what ultimately crushed it. safe to say guns n' roses imploded for their own internal various reasons, and i wouldn't be surprised if use your illusion 1 and use your illusion 2 added to it slightly more for those who still live in the small bubble world of wanting a second helping of appetite for destruction.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oh Blind Melon! Already in love. Long time.

Ms FoxyRed, you shall be told. Repeatedly, if warranted =)

I really do get the other side of it.

Also know that gambo's got a damn good heart :)
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148

rgambs said:

halv said:

rgambs said:

You obviously haven't listened to GnR. I mean Blimd Melon? Ha ha ha ha ha.
    Lol, I know right?!
    FoxyRedLa said:

I love threads like this. Cracks me up that others think they can tell me what I like/should like.

Yep, agreed. Wth
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300

To me it comes down to how badly I need to see a particular band , I'm paying $225 for a ticket in the 200 level for Radiohead @ MSG but I would not spend a dime for GnR ..

Exactly - I'll pay $225 to see GnR and not a dime to see Radiohead - I doubt I go with a free ticket.
    Ditto , it's all about individual taste !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,434
    I would argue that GnR didn't kill off the 80s hair bands, but rather they were the pinnacle of those bands. The last, brightest, flash before that era burned out and was supplanted by Nirvana, PJ and the rest.

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

I would argue that GnR didn't kill off the 80s hair bands, but rather they were the pinnacle of those bands. The last, brightest, flash before that era burned out and was supplanted by Nirvana, PJ and the rest.

Anyone who thinks GnR was a hair band hasn't a clue. They were a first ballot no doubt RnR HoF band. Is PJ? I think they are, but would not be shocked if it took a couple years. I would have been absolutely shocked if GnR hadn't gotten in first try. Could PJ sell out Century Link Field? Cmon. You may not like them. You may care about who and what Axl is, but in terms of RnR, they are at the pinnacle. The only thing they have in common with Poison is that they HAD hair. I mean to think Slash is a latter day glam rocker is hysterical.

• Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    edited April 2016
    We wouldn't have PJ without bands like GnR. Appetite for Destruction and Shout at the Devil changed the course of music in the mid to late 80s. It was bands like Poison and Warrant that killed 80s "hair bands" and allowed the shift to Grunge. I remember an interview with Bret Michaels saying he knew their run was over when he walked into the record company's main office and there was a wall size poster behind the front desk of AIC's Facelift album cover.

That being said. Appetite is one of the best rock albums of all time....and I still listen to November Rain.
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,434

on2legs said:

Anyone who thinks GnR was a hair band hasn't a clue. They were a first ballot no doubt RnR HoF band. Is PJ? I think they are, but would not be shocked if it took a couple years. I would have been absolutely shocked if GnR hadn't gotten in first try. Could PJ sell out Century Link Field? Cmon. You may not like them. You may care about who and what Axl is, but in terms of RnR, they are at the pinnacle. The only thing they have in common with Poison is that they HAD hair. I mean to think Slash is a latter day glam rocker is hysterical.

I'm not saying there weren't a quality band. They were great. But they are a hair band on steroids.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

I'm not saying there weren't a quality band. They were great. But they are a hair band on steroids.
    They're not, but if they were it would be Jack and Heroin not roids....
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I'm not trying to tell anyone what to like or dislike, I am just giving my opinion on a highly subjective topic.
    Just because my opinion of them is negative doesn't mean I am trying to subvert your opinions lol.
    Lighten up folks!

And what's wrong with Blind Melon? That's a very original band with much musical acumen and lyrics that make Axl's musings look as substantive as cabbage farts!

:sick:
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to like or dislike, I am just giving my opinion on a highly subjective topic.
    Just because my opinion of them is negative doesn't mean I am trying to subvert your opinions lol.
    Lighten up folks!

And what's wrong with Blind Melon? That's a very original band with much musical acumen and lyrics that make Axl's musings look as substantive as cabbage farts!

:sick:

Civil War vs No Rain? Umm yeah. Cabbage farts indeed.

Aside from Blind Melon being a complete joke, there's nothing wrong with them. As you said, to each his/her own.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    They guys will play 2-3 shows have a scuffle and cancel the rest of the shows - mark my words!!!