One Guns n' Roses ticket cost me almost the same amt as all four PJ Fenway and Wrigley Shows

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379

rgambs said:

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to like or dislike, I am just giving my opinion on a highly subjective topic.
    Just because my opinion of them is negative doesn't mean I am trying to subvert your opinions lol.
    Lighten up folks!

And what's wrong with Blind Melon? That's a very original band with much musical acumen and lyrics that make Axl's musings look as substantive as cabbage farts!

:sick:

Civil War vs No Rain? Umm yeah. Cabbage farts indeed.

Aside from Blind Melon being a complete joke, there's nothing wrong with them. As you said, to each his/her own.
    What about November Rain vs No Rain?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I would of been around ten when Appetite came out and I started hearing them on the radio. As a kid they were so bad ass. In an era where radio was full of hair metal and 80's music, you had this one band which played with a "f*** you" attitude and played straight up hard rock music. I was always dissapointed I never got a chance to see them on the UYI tour. This'll be the next big thing. Did see Guns n' Replacements a few times, even Axl solo was pretty damn good. There was music before Pearl Jam :)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to like or dislike, I am just giving my opinion on a highly subjective topic.
    Just because my opinion of them is negative doesn't mean I am trying to subvert your opinions lol.
    Lighten up folks!

And what's wrong with Blind Melon? That's a very original band with much musical acumen and lyrics that make Axl's musings look as substantive as cabbage farts!

:sick:

Civil War vs No Rain? Umm yeah. Cabbage farts indeed.

Aside from Blind Melon being a complete joke, there's nothing wrong with them. As you said, to each his/her own.
    Best vs worse, bad comparison.

How about heroin songs, Mr. Brownstone vs Toes Across the Floor...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    rgambs said:

I was 2 when Appetite for Destruction came out. I don't have rose colored lenses through which to see them, and I don't see much difference between them and the bands they supposedly supplanted. What is the substantive difference? Glammy outfits, falsetto rock ballads with soaring (badass) guitar licks and superficial lyrics...sounds pretty hair bandish to me.
    Nirvana, AIC, Blind Melon, RHCP, Radiohead, REM, Took, PJ, etc, those are the bands that brought a new sound and style to kill the hair bands.

I'm not saying GNR sucks, just that they are vastly overrated musically and culturally.

That explains a LOT. I think a lot of it has to do with the culture that you grew up in, you had to live or experience that time period to really understand the music. I'm not ashamed to say GnR helped form a lot of my musical tastes. I was in junior high when appetite came out, the perfect time for a kid to hear a shift in musical styles...especially when you were constantly subjected to 'sterile' music: Lawrence Welk, those "hits of the 30s and 40s"...most of my friends listened to Top 40. My ears craved something different.

I just won't pay hundreds of dollars to see them now, don't get me wrong, I will look into nosebleed seats because I'd love to see them live. I know it's not going to be the same as 'back in the day', but it's nice they are getting along well enough to tour together.

Some people would disagree with you about Nirvana too. ;)

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I view GNR as a raw sounding band. The lead singer had a raw sound and most of the music did too. Granted, they did have some melodic solos but not hair band type solos. Hair bands sound like they were created and lived in a studio. Especially Def Leppard, every note had to be perfect. GNR came along and rejected all of that. Grunge came along and put the nail in the coffin.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Just to throw this in here......No Rain is to Blind Melon's catalog as Creep is to Radiohead. Really great band musically and lyrically IMO

But yeah GNR is awesome. people will pay what they want to pay. Its a business
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    When they play at their peak capacity I will bet it is a he'll of a show, even if it isn't my style.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

They guys will play 2-3 shows have a scuffle and cancel the rest of the shows - mark my words!!!

Any thing is possible, but ther is just too much money to be made for that to happen.(The cancellation part, but, ther could still be a scuffle>LOL)
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 889

They guys will play 2-3 shows have a scuffle and cancel the rest of the shows - mark my words!!!

I think there is too much money to be had for that to happen.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Or contract penalties if it does.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

and if someone is dumb enough to pay for a GnR show i say no refunds for putting your faith in thinking the tour will be completed.
  • nm219369nm219369 Posts: 204
    I understand the high ticket prices, this tour has been wanted by numerous people for a lot of years, and if the prices were not this high, from the start, the tickets would be gone and the scalpers would be having a field day with the cash made on it.
  • nm219369nm219369 Posts: 204
    and reading about them making people wait to go on stage makes me kind of laugh too. I was reading the concert review of redmonton one year and it talked about them making people wait till midnight to come onstage. I was at the Calgary show the next night, and yeah the band didn't come on until midnight, but the opening acts went until after 11:30 so yes we had to wait till midnight to see guns but it was less than 30 mins for stage changeover, not like a 2-3 hour wait like they make it sound in the news
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894

I think this is a distinct possibility. Whether it's a fight or Axl showing up 2-3 hours late (teens/early 20 somethings were OK with that in the early 90's, not so sure the fanbase would be now). I saw them in 93 and they took the stage around 11:15, about 2.5 hrs after Brian May finished his opening set.

I read the other day they are set to make $2-3M per night so I'm sure he's aware of the risk of this tour going off the rails. This is probably their last big cash grab and I would bet Slash and Duff are prepared to try and keep him in line.

I would never pay $280 for a ticket (I wouldn't even pay that for PJ, no matter the situation). Just not worth it for me. But will enjoy watching the youtube videos. Hopefully Axl can hold up. These guys were the biggest band in the world for 4-5 years back in the late 80's/early 90's. Will be fun to track this tour.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I would pay 300 to see PJ in a small club
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664

Like Izzy Stradlin, I don't want any part in these sha na na na nanigans. He's the only one with any common sense in this whole thing. He knows it's gonna melt and there's gonna be a ton of unhappy people. But who knows really. Typical narcissistic Axl to make Slash play the Chinese Democracy stuff. Slash sold out for the big bucks. But it's
    Rock n' Roll, anything goes.

love it how people assume Izzy doesn't want a part of it and as such he has common sense......

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    I would absolutely love to see this tour. GNR defined my musical tastes being the first band I really got into, and I couldn't care less that Axl comes across as a complete knobend, many of our heroes probably are not the person we would love them to be.

Its funny watching this unfold on social media, people are desperate for it to flop, for Axl to quit, to slag Axl off as a has been. So many pre conceived views, and negative attitudes desperate to shit all over it. I find that remarkably sad.

'its a cash grab, and it isn't true to the music'.......what a borefest. Sure they don't have to make music to pay their rent so it might not be as organic but what the fuck does it matter? It'll be what it says on the tin....GNR doing what they did best on stage. Id take that in a heartbeat.

I mean all our favourite artists only play stadiums at crazy prices for the love of the music don't they ? of course they do
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited April 2016
    whether people like it or not, Appetite For Destruction changed the musical landscape in a massive way, and is almost 100% responsible for ushering in the Grunge era that followed
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    First i would never pay more than $150 to see any band. Not about the money you simply don't have to. At least in the Chicagoland area. I will buy a nosebleed seat for soldier field for face value either during the onsale or after and respectfully move through the venue to find better seats. GNR was NEVER a hair band!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    edited April 2016
    OP comparing PJ a band who tour every year to GnR is kinda nutty! ...but yes I still do appreciate PJ and their ticket prices and the also fact that they don't buy into the tiering ticket price thing(same price for 1st row and same price for last row)
    this GnR tour is a one off. a nostalgic event. so i don't blame them for whatever they want to charge/make. i remember when appetite first hit the video rounds on tv. it was a wonderful addition to that time period. a breath of fresh air
    There is the part of me that doesn't feel that it's very rock n' roll to have all arena/stadium concerts end by 11pm on the money (give or take 15 minutes). As assaholic as it is to start late, it feels a little rock n' roll to blow through a curfew. Of course PJ does it with more style. In 2013 they played until 12:30am in Vancouver, way past the 11pm curfew (must of taken a big fine for it).

I think Axl has been fairly reliable during his tours with the hired hands. The one that turned into a mini-riot in Vancouver '02, was because the venue cancelled the show (due to curfew and axl showing up late). I think there was a festival in Europe that cut the set short because of curfew. If you book the guy, you know they play late. What kind of idiot books gnr into a venue that has zero wiggle room to play past 11pm?
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    I was mad they dropped the St. Louis show on the 25th anniversary of the riot....I was hoping to see riot part 2

I agree with what most have said GnR changed the musical landscape from the 80's hairbands to blistering rock and roll
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    RKCNDY said:

Brisk. said:

How much was a regular GNR ticket...?

Last night, $10

I checked TM for pit tickets $1746 face, from venue.
    That's ridiculous. I don't understand why anyone would pay that at this point. They must be people who haven't seen his more recent performances/trainwrecks on youtube.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719

I would pay 300 to see PJ in a small club

Easily
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501

That's ridiculous. I don't understand why anyone would pay that at this point. They must be people who haven't seen his more recent performances/trainwrecks on youtube.

If you've only seen bits and pieces (such as footage from Friday's show that was a $10 warm up at a small club), I would highly recommend checking out footage/setlist from Vancouver 2011, and some of the last setlists from Vegas in 2014. Axl sounds great, the band was playing 3 hour+ shows, and they were revitalized.

While it's easy to slag on them now, I would be more interested in seeing their Vegas setlists/footage from this coming weekend (the first real shows) as an indicator of what to expect for this tour.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    Just for clarity....That first paragraph of my last post was a quote from PJSoul's post, not sure why the quote part was taken out.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    Catching GNR in Nashville - front row upper deck. Lowest price ticket to see them although running buddy did buy the fan club membership to secure them before general public on sale date. Trading him one 10C reserved for Lexington in exchange (cost equivalent). We will get closer seats in Lexington for sure. Also, heading to Wrigley shows so my 2016 concert count: GNR 1, PJ 3 (PJ wins!). Wanting Izzy to rejoin GNR as he only stated that he wouldn't be part of the April shows - so the door is cracked for the summer although not too hopeful that will work out given erratic nature of GNR. I'd love to see the true Appetite line-up come July. I did catch Velvet Revolver several years back in Atlanta, so have some basis for what such a show may entail (late start, short set, going through the motions, etc) - just getting the Axl helmed version this time and hoping for a better experience. Odds of that are probably equal to a coin flip.
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    https://youtu.be/o1tj2zJ2Wvg

love the hair band argument

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    IZZY. IZZY. IZZY!!!
    He has got to be there. just not the same without him.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited April 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

It is. That's why they're not sold out. Quite often the VIP packages are insane amounts of money. The same people who would buy them for that much off stubhub (people with alot more wealth that most of us) are the same kind of people that would would buy them.

The thing is that VIP packages don't always sell. Eventually unsold VIP tickets usually end up going as a ticket drop to the general public. I've gotten some really good tickets to shows because I bookmarked the TM page and managed to grab some tickets from the leftover VIP tix.

1700 is insane... but it's no harm to them.... it keeps people from being able to flip them on stubhub because they charge stubhub style pricing. If they don't sell, they sell 'em for less later on. From a business standpoint, it's no harm no foul.

Post edited by Zod on