Options

Is the USA a nation of bigots and/or racists and/or idiots and hypocrites?

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    "I don’t think Trump is spreading bigotry and racism in this country — I think he is unleashing it." - Saqib Bhatti
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    JC29856 said:

"I don’t think Trump is spreading bigotry and racism in this country — I think he is unleashing it." - Saqib Bhatti

With all the dialoge surrounding race in the past year or so, Trump is serving as a spotlight in the darker corners of America. Exposing us for who and how we still are o can be.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    The answer to the original question is an emphatic no.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Smellyman said:

An interesting thing is happening on AMT.
    Forever members have been steadfast about spewing anti-establishment.
    There is a candidate that is everything non-establishment who is gaining power and momentum.
    The diehard gov't protesters finally have a non-govt guy and they don't like what it is.
    The people who don't vote have no voice and are irrelevant.
    The anti-establishment people who do vote can't help but be blindsided by trump.
    It is like watching voters running on ice. Going everywhere but nowhere at the same time.

Nothing wrong with being anti-establishment. But if you're also a racist xenophobe that lies constantly, spews hate daily, and acts like an immature kindergartener as well as pushing your supporters to be accepting of being hateful racists than NO being anti-establishment is not okay.
    Again,
    We have a candidate that is everything but establishment.
    I am all for Sanders.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    JC29856 said:

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

Read about this in the article that follows. Just what we need, a freaking Nazi leader with a bunch of crazed zealots giving the Sieg Heil hand sign.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-right-hand-salute_us_56db50d8e4b03a405678e27a

...or even outright saying it:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/12/15/supporter_yells_sieg_heil_toward_black_protester_at_trump_rally.html

This country may not be full of racists, bigots and idiots, but there are enough to raise big concerns. How did we get here?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited March 2016
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    Remember this?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yes, the US is.
    And idiots.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    JC29856 said:
    YouTube took that down pretty quick.
  • Options
    The outrage with jailing your political opponents! US ally Egypt did just that. Shhh.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN13A11B?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    yes, yes, yes and yes
  • Options
    Yep it is. It is also full of wonderful people who would do anything for anyone. The two groups overlap each other a bit, surprisingly.

I know quite a few people who would treat a Muslim, a Mexican immigrant, an urban black person, a gay man, etc. with respect and kindness in person, but still talk shit about their peer group at home and vote for politicians and policies that discriminate.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Canada is no different. The sheer amount of people that hate aboriginals is astounding. But very few actually say it, because you never know who is 1/4 Metis or something and they'll punch you in the face. One woman at work, a real loudmouth, made a racist comment about aboriginals, and another coworker piped up and said she was part aboriginal. Of the course the loudmouth then back peddled, 'well i obviously dont mean people like you". But um, you were ok with generalizing them all 2 seconds ago.

I dont know how mant times i have told this woman to shut her fat mouth.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited November 2016

Canada is no different. The sheer amount of people that hate aboriginals is astounding. But very few actually say it, because you never know who is 1/4 Metis or something and they'll punch you in the face. One woman at work, a real loudmouth, made a racist comment about aboriginals, and another coworker piped up and said she was part aboriginal. Of the course the loudmouth then back peddled, 'well i obviously dont mean people like you". But um, you were ok with generalizing them all 2 seconds ago.

I've heard others say that about Natives, but it's so foreign to me. That isn't the attitude in BC, or at least not metro Vancouver (not as far as I've ever seen or heard, and I've lived here all my life). But I hear those from Ontario and Winnipeg and other areas that have way more Natives. There just aren't that many in BC, and there aren't really any big issues that people think of as being strongly connected to Natives (or, rather, to what is "wrong" with them). Either that, or people in BC are a lot more close-lipped about their racism towards Natives. :confounded: That is really shitty that people haven't been raised or educated better than that, and that they don't know the right people to blame for social problems that seem to have a strong connection to Native communities.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I've heard others say that about Natives, but it's so foreign to me. That isn't the attitude in BC, or at least not metro Vancouver (not as far as I've ever seen or heard, and I've lived here all my life). But I hear those from Ontario and Winnipeg and other areas that have way more Natives. There just aren't that many in BC, and there aren't really any big issues that people think of as being strongly connected to Natives (or, rather, to what is "wrong" with them). Either that, or people in BC are a lot more close-lipped about their racism towards Natives. :confounded: That is really shitty that people haven't been raised or educated better than that, and that they don't know the right people to blame for social problems that seem to have a strong connection to Native communities.
    It is really interesting that a lot of the symbolism of the pacific northwest is tied to aboriginal culture, yet you say there arent many there.

Too many people that are a product of their prejudicial upbringing to realize that when a group of people is marginalized, very often their reaction to that in a social sense is not a positive one. They are all lazy and living off the government, all that shit.

My dad's brother married a native woman when he was teaching up in Thompson. When they moved back to winnipeg, his wife and two daughters (one full native step daughter that he adopted, and one biological daughter) were forbidden from entering my grandfathers house. I highly respected him up until that point. And it is still so hard to imagine that a guy as loving and inclusive as he would be so bigoted.

And my parents, unfortunately, had that attitude passed on to them.

It stopped with me.

Thet macleans article saying winnipeg is the most racist city in canada is believable, unfortunately. A candidate for mayor in the last election didnt make it past the discovery of an anti-aboriginal facebook post his wife made a few years prior.

At least here we hold bigots accountable!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited November 2016
    Well it's not that there aren't any here, it's just that 1) they are better integrated (relatively), and the conditions for them isn't so awful. I mean, the geography in BC makes life a lot easier for everyone in a lot of ways, and since BC Natives are mostly Haida, they have their own culture here that has largely been embraced by non-Natives (and exploited in gift shops all over Vancouver). Sure, there are some reserves and everything, but they aren't so bad as they apparently are elsewhere from what I've seen (my and mom used to visit them regularly because she is super into Haida basket weaving and would visit local artists all the time). And yes, if you go to the DTES some of the addicts and homeless are Native, but a whole lot of them aren't, too... there isn't really a huge stigma when it comes to Natives here I don't think. I guess social problems breed bigotry... BC doesn't really suffer from so many social problems that sadly and unjustly involve Native communities, reserves, etc. The big issue with Natives in BC is pretty much always land use issues, like where pipelines shouldn't go, and where developments shouldn't be approved, where dams shouldn't be built because it will destroy the land, etc, and I think that a lot of people generally tend to side with the Natives on that one, so it's not super controversial for most people (I guess developers hate them, lol). Even if it is controversial, we can at least all discuss it in a civilized, non-racist way because there aren't underlying tensions about Natives tainting everyone's opinions. I say all this in relative terms, not to suggest that BC Natives don't deserve the same kind of action/respect that those in other provinces do. Oh, one other issue that probably causes the most anger is fishing rights. Many are of the opinion that the Native Fishery abuses its Native fishing rights ... which is true, actually. I did a big research paper on it once.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    If the right is racist then so is the left.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    unsung said:

The right isn't racist. Racists lean right.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

unsung said:

Good points.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635

unsung said:

And the truth leans left.
  • Options
    At the time of Ulysses S. Grant's election to the presidency, white supremacists were conducting a reign of terror throughout the South. In outright defiance of the Republican-led federal government, Southern Democrats formed organizations that violently intimidated blacks and Republicans who tried to win political power.
    The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan, was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee, in 1865. Originally founded as a social club for former Confederate soldiers, the Klan evolved into a terrorist organization. It would be responsible for thousands of deaths, and would help to weaken the political power of Southern blacks and Republicans.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/general-article/grant-kkk/
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

At the time of Ulysses S. Grant's election to the presidency, white supremacists were conducting a reign of terror throughout the South. In outright defiance of the Republican-led federal government, Southern Democrats formed organizations that violently intimidated blacks and Republicans who tried to win political power.
    The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan, was formed in Pulaski, Tennessee, in 1865. Originally founded as a social club for former Confederate soldiers, the Klan evolved into a terrorist organization. It would be responsible for thousands of deaths, and would help to weaken the political power of Southern blacks and Republicans.

What is your point?
  • Options
    There have been more death threats against trump in 8 days then Obama in 8 years.
    Fbi secret service
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    JC29856 said:

There have been more death threats against trump in 8 days then Obama in 8 years.
    Fbi secret service

Makes sense... Democrats as a whole are more violent than Republicans.
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/06/robert-farago/firearms-related-homicides-democratic-vs-republican-affiliation/amp/
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

What is your point?
    Yes, hard to tell.

If the point was that the US has always had a core group of racists and bigots, then you probably won't get much argument from anybody. If your point was to highlight the "Democrat" connection, which I suspect it was, then that has about as much relevance to current political party positions as would the values of the original "democrats" in Greece in 500 BC.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf