Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,739

mrussel1 said:

1. Freedom of religion
    2. Freedom of assembly
    3. Right to Bear Arm
    4. Don't have to quarter soldiers
    5. No ex-post facto laws (look it up, it's a biggie)
    6. Freedom of press
    7. Rights against unlawful search and seizure
    8. No double jeopardy
    9. No cruel and unusual punishment
    10. Tax payer funded public education (think this was the norm 100 years ago?)
    11. Right to trial by a jury of your peers
    12. Right to a speedy trial
    13. Full suffrage by US citizens
    14. Opportunity for all rights as a US citizen (with the exception of commander in chief)
    15. No state shall infringe on your rights
    16. Egalitarian opportunities
    17. Greatest set of natural resources in the world
    18. Jobs for immigrants
    19. Opportunities for advancement
    20. The most innovative society since the Romans
    21. We saved the world from tyranny in WWII
    22. We saved the world from the Soviets for the next 50 years
    23. We've been the innovator of most important inventions since the industrial revolution. Many of those came from immigrants.

There's 20+ to start. I can keep going, but my immigrant father came from teh Ukraine because his family was being slaughtered by the Soviet government through famine. So instead of proving to you that there are 100 reasons that make America great, perhaps I should get back to the job I'm being paid to do, based on the sacrifice my father made to come over here with NOTHING but desire for something better.

How about we do this.. name me a country that's been a better beacon of hope for the last...say 300 years than the US and we can have that debate.

we take too much for granted...cool story and cool list.

Godfather.

Thanks Godfather. Even though you and I are on different ends politically, I don't take this country for granted. My love for the US along with my criticism, are based on the desire to make it better. Think of it as 'married love'. My marriage isn't perfect but I'm committed to making it better. Just like the US. But my marriage is great and I wouldn't trade it for anyone else's. And I wouldn't trade the US for any other country either.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Add Funyuns to that list.

Suck it, world.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Jason P said:

Suck it, world.

Yeah, you think China can come up with Funyuns? No way. Big League Chew? Never. Pop rocks + Coke... fuck off.

I am a patriot... and I love my country... because my country...
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited April 2016
    mrussel1 said:

Jason P said:

Suck it, world.

Yeah, you think China can come up with Funyuns? No way. Big League Chew? Never. Pop rocks + Coke... fuck off.

I am a patriot... and I love my country... because my country...
    And peanut butter and root beer. And my favorite spirit, the only truly American spirit - Bourbon!

We're going to get that list to 100 in no time.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    24. Funyans
    25. Big League Chew
    26. Pop Rocks + Coke
    27. Peanut Butter and root beer
    29. Bourbon
    30. Roller Coasters...bitches
    31. PEARL JAM
    32. New York City... the center of the world
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    The Entertainment Industry. Good lord, can you imagine if the BBC had to set the bar early on!
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    NY Seltzer belongs on the list since it's back. Loved that drink as a kid and they use natural cane sugar instead of that Monsanto crap which makes it even better.

It was Stallone's favorite drink back in the day as well.
  • Options

NY Seltzer belongs on the list since it's back. Loved that drink as a kid and they use natural cane sugar instead of that Monsanto crap which makes it even better.

I love Frank Stallone. Anything he drinks is good enough for me.

How about IBC Black Cherry Root Beer?
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    well. At least the list is improving.
  • Options
    Idris said:

If you don't have em. Fine. I'll continue.

Go ahead and continue. Which of the original 23 things are you against, or which country does those 23 things better than the US?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    mrussel1 said:

1. Freedom of religion
    2. Freedom of assembly
    3. Right to Bear Arm
    6. Freedom of press
    8. No double jeopardy
    14. Opportunity for all rights as a US citizen (with the exception of commander in chief)
    18. Jobs for immigrants
    23. We've been the innovator of most important inventions since the industrial revolution. Many of those came from immigrants.

There's 20+ to start. I can keep going, but my immigrant father came from teh Ukraine because his family was being slaughtered by the Soviet government through famine. So instead of proving to you that there are 100 reasons that make America great, perhaps I should get back to the job I'm being paid to do, based on the sacrifice my father made to come over here with NOTHING but desire for something better.

How about we do this.. name me a country that's been a better beacon of hope for the last...say 300 years than the US and we can have that debate.

Is this list about what the US does better? Or only does? Or did first? Cause off the top of my head I can think of a lot of nations that do these things, have done them....and are currently doing them better. I must be missing some of the context here.

3. I think Russian and Canadian bears have stronger arms....but that's just my anecdotal opinion.

9. Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney and Carrot Top

17. Really?

21. and 22. implies that the US did it on it's own, they were an integral part of a coalition....but without that coalition the US would be fucked.

23. Lego (Denmark)
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    mrussel1 said:

I love Frank Stallone. Anything he drinks is good enough for me.

How about IBC Black Cherry Root Beer?
    He was the bomb in Hudson Hawk, yo!
  • Options
    dignin said:

mrussel1 said:

1. Freedom of religion
    2. Freedom of assembly
    3. Right to Bear Arm
    6. Freedom of press
    8. No double jeopardy
    18. Jobs for immigrants

Is this list about what the US does better? Or only does? Or did first? Cause off the top of my head I can think of a lot of nations that do these things, have done them....and are currently doing them better. I must be missing some of the context here.

3. I think Russian and Canadian bears have stronger arms....but that's just my anecdotal opinion.

9. Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney and Carrot Top

17. Really?

21. and 22. implies that the US did it on it's own, they were an integral part of a coalition....but without that coalition the US would be fucked.

23. Lego (Denmark)
    However you want to say it.... my point was that the US is the beacon of freedom in this world and has been since Alexander de Tocqueville traveled the country to wrote his classic assessment of the US. Why is it that the President is known as "the Leader of the Free World"? Why have we absorbed more immigrants than anyone else?

You can say Rumsfeld was a POS. Of course he was. So was Jeffrey Dahmer. But our Bill of Rights was unique in its protections and provided a model that countries still use today. Touche on bear arms (I get your Family Guy reference)

17. - who has lakes, oceans, rivers, coal, natural gas, methane gas, oil, beautiful farm soil, lumber, etc? How many countries have the resources we have, in the same abundance?

21-22 - Uh, you have it reversed. Could we have won WWII without the allies? Debatable but certainly on a single front, absolutely. But there's no debate that without Lend-Lease and then our intervention, Britain would have soon fallen after the Battle of Britain. They barely hung on and they were the LAST one standing. Regarding the Cold War, the rest of Europe was licking its wounds and recovering for 25 years. The stalemate on the Soviets was the US policy and money.

23. - agreed
  • Options
    What do the last few pages have to do with Trump?
    Nothing.
    Let's get back to the Donald people.
    Here is a great article explaining why he will win the nod. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-trump-gop-nomination-1.3546528
    The scenarios that end in a Trump nomination multiplied after his New York win. The potential for a contested convention still exists, and is a stronger one than has been the case in American politics for some time. But the hope that the Republican convention could deny Trump the nomination that Republican voters seem to want to give him is diminishing in a New York minute.
  • Options
    Show me another country with this pattern, in these numbers:

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

Show me another country with this pattern, in these numbers:

What does this have to do with Donald Trump?
  • Options

What do the last few pages have to do with Trump?
    Nothing.
    Let's get back to the Donald people.
    Here is a great article explaining why he will win the nod. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-trump-gop-nomination-1.3546528
    The scenarios that end in a Trump nomination multiplied after his New York win. The potential for a contested convention still exists, and is a stronger one than has been the case in American politics for some time. But the hope that the Republican convention could deny Trump the nomination that Republican voters seem to want to give him is diminishing in a New York minute.

Nothing of course, but I got on a tangent.

I don't think there's any question that he's at least 80/20 to win the nomination. The east coast states set up well for him to build the lead. If he doesn't get it on teh first ballot, things could get ugly. But there's a real chance he'll have enough walking into the convention.
  • Options
    ^^^
    Do you think that enough people actually know the rules how to run a contested convention or are they just hoping Donald doesn't get that far?
  • Options

^^^
    Do you think that enough people actually know the rules how to run a contested convention or are they just hoping Donald doesn't get that far?

I think committee on rules knows what to do. Remember that all rules after 40(b) or something can be created AT the convention. That's where the GOP boxed out Ron Paul in 2012. They created the rule that you must win 8 states to earn the nomination. Trump and Cruz's team have been angling to reinstate that rule to ensure Kasich and Ryan can't be the nominee. I'm kind of hoping for a real contested convention or at least a crazy ass one. Maybe we'll get something like Pat Buchanan's culture war speech in 1992. I remember hearing one commentator say, "it probably sounded better in German".
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,840
    Will somebody please tell me how this "we rule" list has helped the planet? Or how did the enslaved blacks or the displaced and small pox (etc.) genocide of Native Americans see all this greatness? What about endless war?

I'm not saying there aren't some great things about this land, but all this rah rah needs a little perspective. Some of you make it sound like we are all so righteous and the rest of this world is crap. Break down the borders of your mind because it's all one planet.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Will somebody please tell me how this "we rule" list has helped the planet? Or how did the enslaved blacks or the displaced and small pox (etc.) genocide of Native Americans see all this greatness? What about endless war?

I'm not saying there aren't some great things about this land, but all this rah rah needs a little perspective. Some of you make it sound like we are all so righteous and the rest of this world is crap. Break down the borders of your mind because it's all one planet.

Does this have anything to do with Trump?
    If so, how?
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649
    edited April 2016
    24. Pearl Jam
    brianlux said:

My suggestion is everyone who has not traveled out of the U.S. might want to read some good travel books, especially Henry Rollins Smile, You're Traveling because this is not the only marvelous place on earth. In fact, the most marvelous place on earth is earth.

so profound

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options

24. Pearl Jam

brianlux said:

My suggestion is everyone who has not traveled out of the U.S. might want to read some good travel books, especially Henry Rollins Smile, You're Traveling because this is not the only marvelous place on earth. In fact, the most marvelous place on earth is earth.

so profound
    Trump is a world traveller and knows more countries than America has states.
    As a POTUS he could point to other countries on a map.
  • Options
    It is because, you see, crime is another thing we need to balance the equation of the greatness of this country and we get from Trump to crime thus:

Trump
    Tramp
    Cramp
    Champ
    Chimp
    Chime
    Crime

My other answer is: Hell man, I don't know.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HOLY MOLY!! Just after I typed the above my answering machine kicked in and it was the voice of Donald Trump saying,

"This is Donald Trump and I need your help to make America great again..."

I KID YOU NOT, THIS REALLY HAPPENED...

...either that or someone put LSD in my coffee.

Ahhhhhh! Pink fuckin' elephants!!!

• Options
    brianlux said:

It is because, you see, crime is another thing we need to balance the equation of the greatness of this country and we get from Trump to crime thus:

Trump
    Tramp
    Cramp
    Champ
    Chimp
    Chime
    Crime

You forgot Chump
  • Options

brianlux said:

Trump
    Tramp
    Cramp
    Champ
    Chimp
    Chime
    Crime

You forgot Chump
    Doh!

I mean, Donald! (keeping with the thread theme.)

• Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Trump
    Tramp
    Cramp
    Champ
    Chimp
    Chime
    Crime

You forgot Chump
    Doh!

I mean, Donald! (keeping with the thread theme.)
    You used an evolutionary scale with Trump....hmmm
    Can you do that with Sanders?
  • Options
    brianlux said:

The question, or 'challenge' as it were, was what are 100 things that made the USA a beacon for freedom and opportunity for immigrants. You will have to forgive me for excluding slavery, the Dred Scott decision, the Pinkerton strike breakers, Johnstown Flood and Ted Bundy from the list.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

The question, or 'challenge' as it were, was what are 100 things that made the USA a beacon for freedom and opportunity for immigrants. You will have to forgive me for excluding slavery, the Dred Scott decision, the Pinkerton strike breakers, Johnstown Flood and Ted Bundy from the list.
    Yet I would argue that any nation engaging in Endless War (™) and has a history of genocide and slavery with in its own borders is not a beacon for freedom.

This discussion has been closed.