BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

Here is Pence signing the hate bill. Seriously....look at the fucking douchebag.

Good god. I don't think it is possible to be surrounded by a more out of touch group of people.
    Yeah that whole picture looks like some sort of doucheapolooza.
    :fearful: it shouldn't even be legal for an American Governor to bring that much religion into his politics. This is so fucked up.
    Agreed. I hear the fear of Muslim immigrants wanting Sharia law enacted, and I'm of course opposed to that, but then I see this, and wonder what the difference is. Any time religious people can wield a pen and enact laws I'm nervous, since I think religion and reason are antithetical.
    Absolutely, and you're right, there is no difference between this and Sharia law. Of course, never ever underestimate the hypocrisy of a very religious person. It knows no bounds.
    I made the argument a few weeks ago that Sharia law already exists in this country, but in the form of Halakha for the Jews in places like New York. It was not a well received argument by a few people.
    It wasn't well received by me but to be clear I don't support the accommodation for Halakha as well. The only difference at the moment is that one system tilts towards violence while the other does not. That being said if it is more equitable to stop the accommodation of both then I would be on board.
    I agree that the "tilt" towards violence definitely needs to matter.... that said, I am unaware of any Sharia communities in North America that actually have a tilt towards violence as far as terrorism goes (i assume it does mean a tilt towards violence against women). Do any? Or is that just an assumption?
    It's not that the Sharia community itself has the "tilt" per se but it is within those communities that the most radical teachings fester. So the attitude towards women, gays, jews etc. that is taught under strict sharia inadvertently creates a breeding ground for those who choose to commit violence. The teaching/attitude becomes the canary in the coal mine so to speak. The theory is if you confront the ideology then the small percentage who would use it as a reason for murder will not have the environment to grow.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,130
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/15/trump-was-reportedly-calling-people-at-midnight-asking-if-he-could-change-vp-pick.html
    Word of Trump's indecision adds credence to claims that Trump's inner circle was divided over the VP appointment, with reports circulating that top aide Paul Manafort was in favor of Pence while influential son-in-law Jared Kushner was in favor of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie was also among the finalists on the shortlist.
    Trainwreck
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Outside of Vatican City, the only national based religious legal systems are Islamic. On a scale of bad, Pence is a 1 and those nations are a 10 on the scale of horrible outcomes. Signing a law that could prevent a person from getting served a slice a pizza is not quite as bad as getting sentenced to 350 lashes for having a glass of wine.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,747
    Jason P said:

Outside of Vatican City, the only national based religious legal systems are Islamic. On a scale of bad, Pence is a 1 and those nations are a 10 on the scale of horrible outcomes. Signing a law that could prevent a person from getting served a slice a pizza is not quite as bad as getting sentenced to 350 lashes for having a glass of wine.

I am not sure what your point is. Is it that we should have very low standards because things are even shittier elsewhere?
    Pence is not a 1, but even if he were, the only reason he isn't at least a 6 is because he has not been able to pull it off, what with the pesky laws and whatnot.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

Here is Pence signing the hate bill. Seriously....look at the fucking douchebag.

Good god. I don't think it is possible to be surrounded by a more out of touch group of people.
    :fearful: it shouldn't even be legal for an American Governor to bring that much religion into his politics. This is so fucked up.
    Agreed. I hear the fear of Muslim immigrants wanting Sharia law enacted, and I'm of course opposed to that, but then I see this, and wonder what the difference is. Any time religious people can wield a pen and enact laws I'm nervous, since I think religion and reason are antithetical.
    Absolutely, and you're right, there is no difference between this and Sharia law. Of course, never ever underestimate the hypocrisy of a very religious person. It knows no bounds.
    I made the argument a few weeks ago that Sharia law already exists in this country, but in the form of Halakha for the Jews in places like New York. It was not a well received argument by a few people.
    That is because no one is currently terrified of Jews, lol.... If history is any indication though, the hatred towards Jews will rise again, some day, just as soon as all the Muslims are irradicated and there is opportunity to redirect the hate again. :neutral:

But anyway, I do not support any religious practices/beliefs that oppress girls/women. It makes me sick to my stomach. Jews, Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, whatever. All of these religious beliefs/practices/traditions that serve to keep women subservient or attempt to dictate to them what they have to do with their bodies or their lives, or that give them fewer rights in their community, disgust me 100%. Everything that can be done to discourage or prevent these practices/beliefs/traditions (and brainwashing of course) should be done.
    Actually there are a lot of people in this country, around the world, and even on this site who hate the Jews and are afraid of the Jews as well.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

I am not sure what your point is. Is it that we should have very low standards because things are even shittier elsewhere?
    Pence is not a 1, but even if he were, the only reason he isn't at least a 6 is because he has not been able to pull it off, what with the pesky laws and whatnot.
    Personally I am indifferent on Pence but i think the selection of him has nothing to do with a possible President Trump's intention to institute social conservative policy. Conservative judges possibly but not social conservative legislation. Trump is just not a social conservative. If anything he might be the most socially liberal candidate to ever run for president. He was certainly far more vocal on gay rights/marriage in the 90's while Bill Clinton was passing the Defence of Marriage Act and instituting Don't Ask Don't Tell. That's just a fact. Pence is mainly there to help navigate issues between the White House and congress. Trump has zero clue as to how government functions on a logistical level and Pence's experience in congress will certainly help with that. Trump will set policy and Pence will help steer it through congress. It is nothing more then that.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    ^^all true, but it's likely an attempt to assuage the social conservative activists, not just Congress. But your point on Congressional liaison is dead on.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

Personally I am indifferent on Pence but i think the selection of him has nothing to do with a possible President Trump's intention to institute social conservative policy. Conservative judges possibly but not social conservative legislation. Trump is just not a social conservative. If anything he might be the most socially liberal candidate to ever run for president. He was certainly far more vocal on gay rights/marriage in the 90's while Bill Clinton was passing the Defence of Marriage Act and instituting Don't Ask Don't Tell. That's just a fact. Pence is mainly there to help navigate issues between the White House and congress. Trump has zero clue as to how government functions on a logistical level and Pence's experience in congress will certainly help with that. Trump will set policy and Pence will help steer it through congress. It is nothing more then that.
    If that we're true, Newt would have been a MUCH better choice. He was one of the most effective legislators Republicans have ever had, and makes Pence look like a B-lister.

I'm glad though that we agree Trump has no clue how governance actually works.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

That is because no one is currently terrified of Jews, lol.... If history is any indication though, the hatred towards Jews will rise again, some day, just as soon as all the Muslims are irradicated and there is opportunity to redirect the hate again. :neutral:

But anyway, I do not support any religious practices/beliefs that oppress girls/women. It makes me sick to my stomach. Jews, Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, whatever. All of these religious beliefs/practices/traditions that serve to keep women subservient or attempt to dictate to them what they have to do with their bodies or their lives, or that give them fewer rights in their community, disgust me 100%. Everything that can be done to discourage or prevent these practices/beliefs/traditions (and brainwashing of course) should be done.
    Actually there are a lot of people in this country, around the world, and even on this site who hate the Jews and are afraid of the Jews as well.

Well obviously- I am just talking about where American attention is pointing right now. Clearly it far outweighs any antisemitism that is going on at the moment.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

If that we're true, Newt would have been a MUCH better choice. He was one of the most effective legislators Republicans have ever had, and makes Pence look like a B-lister.

Yeah, exactly. Pence wasn't chosen to help navigate anything. He was chosen because Trump and whatever idiots are advising him think that Pence will help them draw back the more right wing Republicans and the Bible thumper who got scared that Trump isn't religious enough. The fanatical thumper make up a pretty big section of the right if we're just talking who actually votes and who has influence in certain areas/states. While Trump is a wacko, he was still missing the appeal to a big specific group of even bigger wackos - The Tea Partiers and the zealots. Now he's got them, lol.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

Of course he doesn't that is why he is so popular and winning with the population.
    Stupid public.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

Newt was effective for sure but he is a man of the "past". Trump can handle the bombast on his own and it is easier to run on "change" without Newt. That being said he will find a place for Newt in the administration. He would be a good chief of staff.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

^^all true, but it's likely an attempt to assuage the social conservative activists, not just Congress. But your point on Congressional liaison is dead on.

No doubt Pence will be useful in that way but again other then judges I just don't see Trump governing as a social conservative. I don't even think he mentioned the recent Supreme Court decision concerning Texas abortion law. He might have tried to be one during the primaries but it isn't who he is.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,271
    pence just blew any chance that trump had. his record is going to come to light and clinton is going to hit him fiercely.

funniest part of all of this, pence was nearly recalled last year over the religious freedom law. now pence has to drop out of the governor's race. it is the best possible outcome. come november pence will be unemployed and indiana will have a new governor who is not a total fucking moron.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

pence just blew any chance that trump had. his record is going to come to light and clinton is going to hit him fiercely.

funniest part of all of this, pence was nearly recalled last year over the religious freedom law. now pence has to drop out of the governor's race. it is the best possible outcome. come november pence will be unemployed and indiana will have a new governor who is not a total fucking moron.

You could be right about Pence if he were to run against someone other then Clinton but since Bill Clinton signed and celebrated a federal RFRA law in the 90's it will be a wash. You can try to argue that the laws were different but to the average voter they are all the same.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Freedom_Restoration_Act
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

No doubt Pence will be useful in that way but again other then judges I just don't see Trump governing as a social conservative. I don't even think he mentioned the recent Supreme Court decision concerning Texas abortion law. He might have tried to be one during the primaries but it isn't who he is.
    I don't think it's about governing, it's about securing votes that are needed to win.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

I don't think it's about governing, it's about securing votes that are needed to win.
    Those two things do not have to be mutually exclusive. I don't expect anybody on here to celebrate Pence but I actually find it to be a mature choice from a Trump perspective and while I am still not convinced it does lead me to believe that he is serious about governing effectively.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,936
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

Those two things do not have to be mutually exclusive. I don't expect anybody on here to celebrate Pence but I actually find it to be a mature choice from a Trump perspective and while I am still not convinced it does lead me to believe that he is serious about governing effectively.
    Everything Trump does leads me to believe he is not serious about governing, period. It's all an unreality show disguised as politics.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

Everything Trump does leads me to believe he is not serious about governing, period. It's all an unreality show disguised as politics.
    He is as serious as Bernie was.
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    H>
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    OnWis97 said:

BS44325 said:

It's Pence

he just sealed his fate of never becoming POTUS.
    No...this is his best chance. If Trump wins (which is probably a 50/50 shot at this point), he'll probably quit after not having the interest/energy in about six months. Then Pence is President. The only way an "I hate the icky gays" guy can get the white house is by coming in as VP.
    There is no way that Trump has a 50/50 chance of becoming president. Mike Pence is actually a horrible choice. He an extreme right winger. Once the independent voters realize how far right he is, check for Hilary. All trump did was ensure he got the evangelical vote. And thone voters are shrinking by the year. That's it. He isn't getting any more people to turn out on election day because of pence. He should have went with his gut. Christie would have expected been a much better choice
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

OnWis97 said:

BS44325 said:

It's Pence

No...this is his best chance. If Trump wins (which is probably a 50/50 shot at this point), he'll probably quit after not having the interest/energy in about six months. Then Pence is President. The only way an "I hate the icky gays" guy can get the white house is by coming in as VP.
    There is no way that Trump has a 50/50 chance of becoming president. Mike Pence is actually a horrible choice. He an extreme right winger. Once the independent voters realize how far right he is, check for Hilary. All trump did was ensure he got the evangelical vote. And thone voters are shrinking by the year. That's it. He isn't getting any more people to turn out on election day because of pence. He should have went with his gut. Christie would have expected been a much better choice
    Christie has a terrible reputation right now. He is super unpopular in Jersey and everyone knows about BridgeGate. Trump only had bad choices available to him. I actually think this, or Sessions, was the best of a terrible set of options. Doesn't make him a good option though.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I just read (didn't verify) that in 2001 Pence said that despite the political and media hysteria, smoking doesn't kill.

Wow.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I just read (didn't verify) that in 2001 Pence said that despite the political and media hysteria, smoking doesn't kill.

Wow.

That cigarette doesn't light itself!
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,271
    rgambs said:

Wow.

sounds like something he would say. after all, science has a liberal bias.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

Besides, since when did the VP affect governance? I am under the impression that VPs have almost no impact on anything, lol....... Until they become president, of course. Which is always a possibility. There had already been one really poor attempt on Trump's life, and he is 69. Not old, but still old enough to possibly drop dead for any number of reasons. And then you get a total right wing religious nutter in the WH.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,729
    BS44325 said:

You could be right about Pence if he were to run against someone other then Clinton but since Bill Clinton signed and celebrated a federal RFRA law in the 90's it will be a wash. You can try to argue that the laws were different but to the average voter they are all the same.

I'm sure exactly what you're saying, but RFRA is different than what Pence was trying to do, and the people in Indiana seemed aware of the differences.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2016
    Not sure what Americans think of this news source but it seems to portray a well thought out opinion https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/16/donald-trump-mike-pence-vice-president

“As far as Turkey is concerned, so many friends in Turkey, great people, amazing people, we wish them well. It looks like they are resolving the difficulty but we wish them well, a lot of anguish last night but hopefully it will all work out.” Sums it up.

He also attacked Hillary Clinton and bragged that he had predicted the result of the British referendum on whether to leave the European Union.
    “I think it was a win for them,” he said.
    The people who wanted to separate.

Most strikingly, Gingrich went on Fox News to say: “We should, frankly, test every person here who is of a Muslim background and if they believe in Sharia, they should be deported.”
    Well no wonder Gingrich wasn't picked he is racist.

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

OnWis97 said:

BS44325 said:

It's Pence

Christie has a terrible reputation right now. He is super unpopular in Jersey and everyone knows about BridgeGate. Trump only had bad choices available to him. I actually think this, or Sessions, was the best of a terrible set of options. Doesn't make him a good option though.
    Agreed but the reality is it just doesn't matter. Pence will fade to the background. This election will be a referendum on Trump. He is going to drive coverage of this election everyday unti November. The polls already show that Hillary isn't trusted and she won't be able to earn that trust back. People want "change" so the question will be whether the public is willing to hand over the keys to Trump warts and all. Whether you like him or not...and I'm still in the not camp...I think this is his election to lose.
  • Options

BS44325 said:

I'm sure exactly what you're saying, but RFRA is different than what Pence was trying to do, and the people in Indiana seemed aware of the differences.
    Yeah this was the argument that the GOP was trying to make as the crisis was blowing up in their face. But if there was a federal law

Not sure what Americans think of this news source but it seems to portray a well thought out opinion https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/16/donald-trump-mike-pence-vice-president

“As far as Turkey is concerned, so many friends in Turkey, great people, amazing people, we wish them well. It looks like they are resolving the difficulty but we wish them well, a lot of anguish last night but hopefully it will all work out.” Sums it up.

He also attacked Hillary Clinton and bragged that he had predicted the result of the British referendum on whether to leave the European Union.
    “I think it was a win for them,” he said.
    The people who wanted to separate.

Most strikingly, Gingrich went on Fox News to say: “We should, frankly, test every person here who is of a Muslim background and if they believe in Sharia, they should be deported.”
    Well no wonder Gingrich wasn't picked he is racist.

Sorry... the leader of the free world doesn't 'hope' everything works out...He's out of his league.

This discussion has been closed.