Scalia dead

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499

i have a hobby lobby a half mile from my house. since the SC decision in the hobby lobby case i have had a couple thousand dollars of custom framing done. i went elsewhere. would it be more convenient for me to go to hobby lobby? sure. but i vote with my wallet, and they can go fuck themselves as far as i am concerned.

God bless America and having choices...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

i have a hobby lobby a half mile from my house. since the SC decision in the hobby lobby case i have had a couple thousand dollars of custom framing done. i went elsewhere. would it be more convenient for me to go to hobby lobby? sure. but i vote with my wallet, and they can go fuck themselves as far as i am concerned.

Hahaha unless it's liberals making the choices, then we need to take the country back!
    :rofl:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

Hahaha unless it's liberals making the choices, then we need to take the country back!
    That pendulum swings both ways. Fuck ALL politicians!
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

Don't forget make it great again.
    Smellyman said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

Don't forget make it great again.
    Hope and "change you can believe in"
  • PJPOWER said:

no, nobody bless america.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

absolutely.

damn whiney liberals.

sounds to me it is conservatives doing most of the whining these days.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,071
    edited February 2016
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

absolutely.

damn whiney liberals.

Seems to me like liberals are [inappropriate quote removed by Admin] to have a free mouth for whining. Or maybe that's just on the PJ forums, lol
    oh come on now.

take your country back.

but be sure to cry about it first.

scalia would want it that way.

actually he wouldn't. he would want obama to nominate someone and the senate do it's job. just like the letter of the constitution says.
    Post edited by Kat on

edited February 2016

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

absolutely.

damn whiney liberals.

Seems to me like liberals are [inappropriate quote removed by Admin] to have a free mouth for whining. Or maybe that's just on the PJ forums, lol
    oh come on now.

take your country back.

actually he wouldn't. he would want obama to nominate someone and the senate do it's job. just like the letter of the constitution says.
    So now Scalia is a great interpreter of the constitution? Laughable, this has become (in Yota voice). I've stated my piece and am done here. God bless you Gimme.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    This thread went to shit because so many people cannot disagree without being disagreeable.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,071
    edited February 2016
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

absolutely.

damn whiney liberals.

oh come on now.

take your country back.

So now Scalia is a great interpreter of the constitution? Laughable, this has become (in Yota voice). I've stated my piece and am done here. God bless you Gimme.
    are people not saying that about scalia? was that not his reputation? is that not his legacy? is that not what he prided himself on?

thanks holy father. keep your hands off the kids.
    Post edited by Kat on

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

absolutely.

damn whiney liberals.

oh come on now.

take your country back.

are people not saying that about scalia? was that not his reputation? is that not his legacy? is that not what he prided himself on?

Scalia's legacy will be that he contributed to a very right leaning court. It will also be that he was a great legal mind. He wrote many opinions I disagreed with as a libertarian. He also wrote important opinions on the protection of defendants rights. He wrote the definitive opinion on the 2nd amendment being an individual right as well. I'm equal opportunity when it comes to protection of individual liberties from overbearing government, so I like all of the Bill of Rights. I don't pick and choose.

I get that people are glad that the court is no longer a conservative court. I'm glad as well. The prospect of revisiting marriage equality or women's reproductive rights in front of a conservative court is something I'd like to see avoided. What I don't get is the vitriol and celebration over the death of someone who was respected by his peers, and performed his role consistently and according to how he read the law. But if his death makes some of you happy, enjoy your celebration, no matter how reprehensible and unseemly it might be. Isn't it funny that when Carter was sick, some of us who didn't see him as a particularly great and competent president could still see the good in the man, and praise his work and the good he's done? A little decorum, maturity and respect might go a long way toward bringing people together, rather than dividing and alienating. We aren't going to get that with our presidential candidates, or our sitting congresscritters, but perhaps we can do it ourselves.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    ^^ Agreed in full
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

absolutely.

damn whiney liberals.

What they really mean by taking it back is bringing back their war criminal messiahs Dubya and Cheney.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    jeffbr said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

absolutely.

damn whiney liberals.

oh come on now.

take your country back.

Scalia's legacy will be that he contributed to a very right leaning court. It will also be that he was a great legal mind. He wrote many opinions I disagreed with as a libertarian. He also wrote important opinions on the protection of defendants rights. He wrote the definitive opinion on the 2nd amendment being an individual right as well. I'm equal opportunity when it comes to protection of individual liberties from overbearing government, so I like all of the Bill of Rights. I don't pick and choose.

I get that people are glad that the court is no longer a conservative court. I'm glad as well. The prospect of revisiting marriage equality or women's reproductive rights in front of a conservative court is something I'd like to see avoided. What I don't get is the vitriol and celebration over the death of someone who was respected by his peers, and performed his role consistently and according to how he read the law. But if his death makes some of you happy, enjoy your celebration, no matter how reprehensible and unseemly it might be. Isn't it funny that when Carter was sick, some of us who didn't see him as a particularly great and competent president could still see the good in the man, and praise his work and the good he's done? A little decorum, maturity and respect might go a long way toward bringing people together, rather than dividing and alienating. We aren't going to get that with our presidential candidates, or our sitting congresscritters, but perhaps we can do it ourselves.

Nice post.
    I'm not sure anyone is celebrating his death, I'm okay that he is no longer breathing but certainly not celebrating. I wish while he was still alive he worked toward "bringing people together, rather than dividing and alienating".
    Until his death he was the first person that came to mind when I would hear the lyric "the haves have not a fucking clue" now I smile and think of the lyric "I'll stand over your grave until I'm sure you're dead".
    Fuck scalia
  • I knew nothing about the man, but I think people have a right to be concerned if there was foul play involved in the death of man who holds such a powerful position in this country. After my dad's so-called "heart attack", I will never look at death the same way again. I believe there are many forces at work in this world--more than we can fathom.
  • njnancynjnancy Posts: 5,096
    Some people despised Scalia because of his arrogance in always voting conservatively and showing preferential treatment to lawyers he liked and being openly offensive & snarky to those he did not. Scalia was polarizing - on purpose - and this causes strong feelings in people. That has come out in some not giving a shit about his death and being happy that his influence is gone from the court.

Some people did not like Scalia for the same reasons but have been surprised at how only an hour after we learned of his death, McConnell issued a statement saying that the President should neglect his Constitutional duties. And the chiming in began. Here people have not expressed hatred for the man, have given him props for his place in history and are participating in the guessing game about what will happen next. Strong feelings about the GOP's statements are often expressed.

Some people don't really care that much either way about the whole thing but have a point about something they want to make - no emotions stated about his death either way.

Some are Scalia fans who want his death to be taken more seriously.

Some have lumped every single non conservative into one group and accuse us of dancing on the man's grave while whining about our President carrying out his Constitutional duties I don't know if this is from true convictions.or if they are using supposed outrage just to litigate against Obama because it all comes back to Obama not being held in the same regard as those before him and liberals are just clueless whiners who need to be shown the light.

I fall into the second group, and do not begrudge anyone else their opinion, unless they have shown an inability to be civil to those who have different opinions or values. You can't be neutral on a moving train, but you shouldn't be demeaning. Like our great ex President GWB said yesterday, labels are for soup cans.

PJPOWER said:

myoung321 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

Hmmmm

When George W. Bush was still president, Schumer advocated almost the exact same approach McConnell is planning to pursue. During a speech at a convention of the American Constitution Society in July 2007, Schumer said if any new Supreme Court vacancies opened up, Democrats should not allow Bush the chance to fill it “except in extraordinary circumstances.”

“We should reverse the presumption of confirmation,” Schumer said, according to Politico. “The Supreme Court is dangerously out of balance. We cannot afford to see Justice Stevens replaced by another Roberts, or Justice Ginsburg by another Alito.” During the same speech, Schumer lamented that he hadn’t managed to block Bush’s prior Supreme Court nominations.

Notably, when he made his remarks in 2007, Bush had about seven more months remaining in his presidential term than Obama has remaining in his.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/14/flashback-in-2007-schumer-called-for-blocking-all-bush-supreme-court-nominations/#ixzz40Cxbi0hM

I think anyone would be hard pressed to argue the Dems wouldn't take the same tactic. They would. The point I've been making it that it's strategically advantageous to Democrats right now, and in particular Hillary, should she make it through the primaries.
    They would and they have. Even the all mighty Obama did it to Alito in 2006, although "he vocally disapproved", his actions speak louder than his words.
    Yet he is on the court today....hmmm

That was not my point. My point was that the exact person that supported a filibuster in 2006, in a lot the same way as what we are seeing today, cannot (without being a HUGE hypocrite) preach that the opposition is not following the rules by attempting the same tactic against him now that he is president. History has yet to say whether or not it will work this time around.
    Obama did nothing hypocritical as a Senator. A filibuster is part of the legislative process of the Congress. It means that a nominee was announced, it was brought to the floor for debate, and eventually a vote was taken. Just as Congress should work - with or without a filibuster.

As President, Obama is fulfilling his constitutional duties by looking for a nominee to present to the Congress. The problem is not whether it would be filibustered or voted down. The leadership has announced that it will not even consider bringing a nominee of the President's to the floor to begin the legislative process. That is unconstitutional. They should bring the nominee to the floor and debate and inquire the qualifications of the nominee - if some feel so strongly against the nominee, they can filibuster - part of the process. But that would eventually end and it would be voted up - giving us a SCJ or down, leaving the President to find another nominee. The GOP do not even want this process to occur, as if the President isn't really President anymore.

That's a huge difference and Obama is not what you are portraying him to be. This is a shut down of government - a filibuster would be refreshing, it would mean that they actually were considering the President's idea.

I knew nothing about the man, but I think people have a right to be concerned if there was foul play involved in the death of man who holds such a powerful position in this country. After my dad's so-called "heart attack", I will never look at death the same way again. I believe there are many forces at work in this world--more than we can fathom.

Wooooow! Where is the foul play coming from?
    BTW....being respected by his "peers" isn't saying much!
    JC29856 said:

I knew nothing about the man, but I think people have a right to be concerned if there was foul play involved in the death of man who holds such a powerful position in this country. After my dad's so-called "heart attack", I will never look at death the same way again. I believe there are many forces at work in this world--more than we can fathom.

Right wing radio has brought up a conspiracy theory that Obama had Scalia killed. He was going to kill Trump next and then Ron Paul. He probably used his friends in Isis, since he really is a secret Muslim warrior, to do the hit. Bangs head on wall.
    njnancy said:

JC29856 said:

Right wing radio has brought up a conspiracy theory that Obama had Scalia killed. He was going to kill Trump next and then Ron Paul. He probably used his friends in Isis, since he really is a secret Muslim warrior, to do the hit. Bangs head on wall.
    oh, i didnt hear that one and luv me some good conspiracies!

https://www.google.com/search?q=scalia+conspiracy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=scalia+conspiracy&tbm=nws
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    njnancy said:

JC29856 said:

I heard that too. Boy, people will believe anything they hear, or want to believe. That's where uninformed voters come from.
    Free said:

njnancy said:

JC29856 said:

I heard that too. Boy, people will believe anything they hear, or want to believe. That's where uninformed voters come from.
    Drudge was flashing it all day yesterday "Found with pillow on head"..
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Scalia's chair draped in black. I am uncomfortable with the gleeful piling on that has followed this man's death, in spite of how reprehensible I found him to be in life. I am much more in favor of attacking the living than the dead. With that in mind I must point out...if recent history is any indication, the drapery in this picture will ask as many questions in future Supreme Court hearings as will Clarence Thomas.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • jeffbr said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

absolutely.

damn whiney liberals.

oh come on now.

take your country back.

why do i feel like this was directed at me?

i'm not celebrating or cheering his death. am i happy that he is no longer on the court? absolutely. many, many people are happy that he is no longer on the court. that he is no longer standing in the way of progress. that he is no longer voting to hear cases that involve settled law, like roe v wade. i am relieved that he is not going to hear cases that threaten choice, that he is not going to hear cases that threaten obamacare, that he is not going to hear cases that threaten gay marriage, that he is not going to hear cases that are going to grant open carry to blind people, etc, etc, etc.

this man gave us george w bush as president. never forget that.

he gave us citizens united, probably the second most disgraceful ruling of my lifetime after bush v gore.

the man was an idealogue. he did not recuse himself from cases when there was a confilct of interest.

this man deliberately no showed obama's state of the union more than once.

this man was an asshole. by choice. he did not have to be, but he was. history will make sure that that is not forgotten. and as long as i am on this board i will make sure it isn't forgotten either.

• JC29856 said:

jeffbr said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

absolutely.

damn whiney liberals.

oh come on now.

take your country back.

Nice post.
    I'm not sure anyone is celebrating his death, I'm okay that he is no longer breathing but certainly not celebrating. I wish while he was still alive he worked toward "bringing people together, rather than dividing and alienating".
    Until his death he was the first person that came to mind when I would hear the lyric "the haves have not a fucking clue" now I smile and think of the lyric "I'll stand over your grave until I'm sure you're dead".
    Fuck scalia
    when i hear that song i think of cheney.

when he snuffs it, i might just have a drink to celebrate.

as lewis black said when talking about cheney, "the good die young. pricks live forever."

• njnancy said:

JC29856 said:

the sad part is some people actually believe some of this stuff.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663

njnancy said:

JC29856 said:

Including donald trump....

Donald Trump Joins the Chorus of Scalia Assassination Conspiracy Theorists
    http://m.motherjones.com/mojo/2016/02/donald-trump-joins-chorus-scalia-assassination-conspiracy-theorists

• njnancy said:

JC29856 said:

Including donald trump....

Donald Trump Joins the Chorus of Scalia Assassination Conspiracy Theorists
    http://m.motherjones.com/mojo/2016/02/donald-trump-joins-chorus-scalia-assassination-conspiracy-theorists

come on!

i am really trying to give trump the benefit of the doubt that he is not as crazy as some of the right wing media. he is making it impossible.

This discussion has been closed.