Scalia dead

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• Creates quite an interesting situation now doesn't it?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Huge.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Very interesting. I wonder how it will affect the debate tonight.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,739

Creates quite an interesting situation now doesn't it?

Was "interesting" before this. Not something thats been addressed in the race too much if at all. Mostly some talk in the media.

Interesting times we live in.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited February 2016
    Good riddance

Couldn't care less how unbecoming this is
  • definitely a chance to alter our future, based on who we think might get that appointment from current leadership...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Yea so who is going to be on the short list? Ideas?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Can repugs delay? If not they will fight.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • njnancynjnancy Posts: 5,096
    edited February 2016
    Wow - this shocked me. Didn't see this coming. Found dead at a resort when he didn't show for breakfast. 79 years old. No matter your politics - he was a brilliant man who was liked by his peers and leaves behind a wife and 9 children. There are implications of course, but right now it's a jolting piece of breaking news and so unexpected. RIP Justice.Wow.

This should be interesting at the debate tonight. But although I disagreed with his politics, I respect his service and just feel for his family and friends. What will be done - they reconvene in October. It's gonna be a mess. Again, RIP - not one of the justices I thought would be leaving. Truly breaking news.

Post edited by njnancy on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    So the crazy party is calling for the next President to fill this seat? Further proof that despite all the 2nd Amendment rhetoric these fools have no understanding of the Constitution.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    JimmyV said:

So the crazy party is calling for the next President to fill this seat? Further proof that despite all the 2nd Amendment rhetoric these fools have no understanding of the Constitution.

Exactly

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

JimmyV said:

Same as their hatred of big government, unless it has to do with a woman's body. The President should be able to appoint someone - but there is going to be deadlock. I can already hear the pronouncements at the Republican debate tonight. A part of me is squeamish about how soon a person of such stature's death will be turned into a power grab.

JimmyV said:
    +1 (I also follow him on Twitter, but I don't go on everyday)
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    njnancy said:

JimmyV said:

Same as their hatred of big government, unless it has to do with a woman's body. The President should be able to appoint someone - but there is going to be deadlock. I can already hear the pronouncements at the Republican debate tonight. A part of me is squeamish about how soon a person of such stature's death will be turned into a power grab.
    I agree with your squeamishness. (And also - please leave women's bodies alone.)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,887
    Can't lie - my first reaction is 'good riddance'. I think he was a fool and an asshole, and the US and the world is better off without him IMO (excluding his friends and family I assume... and whoever's wheels he was greasing).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JimmyV said:

Obama is still prez for 11 months, so I can't see Congress delaying it that long.

Unexpected news though. Should make for interesting times.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    This was the word when he was confirmed unanimously back in 2013 , be interesting to see what comes next for him.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-supreme-court-nominee-in-waiting

This developemnet dosen't negate the expected 3 or so retiring justices during the next adminstration anyway, so GOP will be innteresting to watch through this.

• ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,971
    the fact that the senate will just deny any nomination Obama gives simply for the purpose of delaying the process until the election/new president takes office is just absolutely disgusting.

Treason in my opinion
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • i

don't

care.

he died after a 30+ year battle with social progress.

problem for us is, we are all stuck here living in a world that he has helped to shape and has fought against our advancement as a culture for decades. he gets to ride off to wherever his energy is going, and now we have to find someone to undo what he has done.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    He's in a better place now
  • He's in a better place now

depends on your definition of a better place.

to him, there is no better place than 'murica.

he died after a 30+ year battle with social progress..

ok onion :tongue:
  • ehbacon said:

i credit that to thom hartmann on sirius progress. onion got it from him.

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Shit happens.

ehbacon said:

i credit that to thom hartmann on sirius progress. onion got it from him.
    tbh I only saw the onion post because someone I knew said that they posted an offensive headline about him

more like a true headline.
    Rafael Eduardo Cruz was the first Republican I heard tonight call for the next President to nominate Scalia's successor. So he won that race.

BREAKING: President Obama says he will do his job.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    This is quite the political opportunity for Democrats here. Although Obama will have difficulty getting someone through the Senate, it's politically advantageous for a solid, moderate, respectable candidate to be languishing in the approval process. Clinton or Bernie can use it as a bludgeon as to why it's important to elect a Democrat... "if a normal judge like X can't get approved. Imagine the candidate that President GOP will put up there!"

For Democrats, it was a conservative seat so at worst it remains 5-4, so neutral. For the Republicans it really is a no win situation. Suddenly the SC becomes one of the most important issues on the ballot.

IMO, Clinton is the real winner. If she gets through the tough nomination process, disenchanted Bernie supporters will have to think long and hard about jumping to Trump or staying home. The stakes have changed.
This discussion has been closed.