Scalia dead

Comments

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited February 2016

myoung321 said:

Citizens United alone screwed this country up... and according to Scalia HOBBY LOBBY is a person?

No, Hobby Lobby is not a person--it's a small, mom-and-pop, family-owned business that would be unduly burdened if required to provide their employees with contraceptive coverage through their health insurance. That grinding noise you hear is the rolling of my eyes.
    Mom and Pop ? wow,,,, net worth of $5.1 billion, Forbes ranks David Green (Owner Hobby Lobby) as the 94th wealthiest person in the United States.
    572 stores nation-wide, with a revenue of $3.3 billion in 2013.
    some mom and pop operation.

This is why.... people believe the crap they hear on tv and don't bother to research the facts on their own...

side question... Does Hobby Lobby sale anything NOT made in China?
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    callen said:

mrussel1 said:

Hmmmm

When George W. Bush was still president, Schumer advocated almost the exact same approach McConnell is planning to pursue. During a speech at a convention of the American Constitution Society in July 2007, Schumer said if any new Supreme Court vacancies opened up, Democrats should not allow Bush the chance to fill it “except in extraordinary circumstances.”

“We should reverse the presumption of confirmation,” Schumer said, according to Politico. “The Supreme Court is dangerously out of balance. We cannot afford to see Justice Stevens replaced by another Roberts, or Justice Ginsburg by another Alito.” During the same speech, Schumer lamented that he hadn’t managed to block Bush’s prior Supreme Court nominations.

Notably, when he made his remarks in 2007, Bush had about seven more months remaining in his presidential term than Obama has remaining in his.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/14/flashback-in-2007-schumer-called-for-blocking-all-bush-supreme-court-nominations/#ixzz40Cxbi0hM

I think anyone would be hard pressed to argue the Dems wouldn't take the same tactic. They would. The point I've been making it that it's strategically advantageous to Democrats right now, and in particular Hillary, should she make it through the primaries.
    I don't know. Think this may motivate conservators to vote.
    It will motivate both sides. But the Democrats have the natural electoral advantage right now and there are many Bernie supporters threatening not to vote for Hillary. So all things being equal, I think it give an advantage to the D's.
  • njnancynjnancy Posts: 5,096
    myoung321 said:

myoung321 said:

Citizens United alone screwed this country up... and according to Scalia HOBBY LOBBY is a person?

No, Hobby Lobby is not a person--it's a small, mom-and-pop, family-owned business that would be unduly burdened if required to provide their employees with contraceptive coverage through their health insurance. That grinding noise you hear is the rolling of my eyes.
    Mom and Pop ? wow,,,, net worth of $5.1 billion, Forbes ranks David Green as the 94th wealthiest person in the United States. some mom and pop operation.

Maybe get your facts right before posting such nonsense.
    We're supposed to debate the issue,not attack the poster.I think Who Princess has a good grasp on the facts.

I can't find a Hobby Lobby anywhere remotely close to me, and there are scads of all sized businesses where I live. Just because they have a net worth worthy of Forbes attention does not mean that they are not a mom and pop store that makes a lot of money through a specific targeted customer base. And if they make so much money, it begs the question of their resistance to thoroughly covering their employees' insurance needs. Do they pay for ED prescriptions?
    edited February 2016
    njnancy said:

myoung321 said:

myoung321 said:

Mom and Pop ? wow,,,, net worth of $5.1 billion, Forbes ranks David Green as the 94th wealthiest person in the United States. some mom and pop operation.

We're supposed to debate the issue,not attack the poster.I think Who Princess has a good grasp on the facts.

I can't find a Hobby Lobby anywhere remotely close to me, and there are scads of all sized businesses where I live. Just because they have a net worth worthy of Forbes attention does not mean that they are not a mom and pop store that makes a lot of money through a specific targeted customer base. And if they make so much money, it begs the question of their resistance to thoroughly covering their employees' insurance needs. Do they pay for ED prescriptions?

I agree and removed it.. my apologies..

But I kinda think most people would not associate a business that makes over 3 billion a year, with owners in the top 100 richest in America as "Mom & Pop"... Is Walmart "Mom & Pop".. This is why I think its "nonsense"

Should not matter if the profit is $3 billion a year or $3 a year.... they should still not have the right to pick and choose what laws they wish to follow and which they choose to ignore. If you choose to conduct business in this country then these are the laws... If it was turned around and say it was a Muslim owned business that wouldn't allow women to show there faces while working, the outrage would be deafening.
    Post edited by myoung321 on

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    njnancy said:

myoung321 said:

myoung321 said:

It's not about whether or not they can afford to cover insurance, they refuse to on religious grounds.
    10 stores is a Mom and Pop, 10 stores for every state in the country is not Mom and Pop, not by a long shot.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Also, I am wondering now if the grinding eye roll was because she was being sarcastic about Hobby Lobby's status as small business unduly burdened.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited February 2016
    mrussel1 said:

callen said:

mrussel1 said:

Hmmmm

When George W. Bush was still president, Schumer advocated almost the exact same approach McConnell is planning to pursue. During a speech at a convention of the American Constitution Society in July 2007, Schumer said if any new Supreme Court vacancies opened up, Democrats should not allow Bush the chance to fill it “except in extraordinary circumstances.”

“We should reverse the presumption of confirmation,” Schumer said, according to Politico. “The Supreme Court is dangerously out of balance. We cannot afford to see Justice Stevens replaced by another Roberts, or Justice Ginsburg by another Alito.” During the same speech, Schumer lamented that he hadn’t managed to block Bush’s prior Supreme Court nominations.

Notably, when he made his remarks in 2007, Bush had about seven more months remaining in his presidential term than Obama has remaining in his.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/14/flashback-in-2007-schumer-called-for-blocking-all-bush-supreme-court-nominations/#ixzz40Cxbi0hM

I think anyone would be hard pressed to argue the Dems wouldn't take the same tactic. They would. The point I've been making it that it's strategically advantageous to Democrats right now, and in particular Hillary, should she make it through the primaries.
    I don't know. Think this may motivate conservators to vote.
    It will motivate both sides. But the Democrats have the natural electoral advantage right now and there are many Bernie supporters threatening not to vote for Hillary. So all things being equal, I think it give an advantage to the D's.
    Though I hope your right feel conservatives are desperate their belief system is being attacked on all fronts and will do what they can to keep security blanket viable.

I hope many conservatives deep down want to progress.
    Talking social issues here.
    Fk a Cruz nomination?!?!?
    Fk fk fk.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    rgambs said:

Also, I am wondering now if the grinding eye roll was because she was being sarcastic about Hobby Lobby's status as small business unduly burdened.

I took it as grinding eyes at my comment...

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • myoung321 said:

rgambs said:

It was sarcasm and not intended at you.

Of course they're not a mom-and-pop operation. There's a half dozen of their stores within a 20-30 minute drive for me. I was ridiculing the argument they made (family business, religious beliefs, etc.) which the Supreme Court accepted.

As someone who enjoys needlework as a hobby, I can tell you that it isn't even a decent hobby store. I only shopped there a couple of times years ago and never went back because (1) they didn't have any of the things I needed and (2) they played religious music over the PA. I'm pretty live and let live about people's religious beliefs but I thought playing music like that for shoppers was weird. After the SCOTUS decision, I will never set foot in the place, not that I'd have any reason to.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    myoung321 said:

rgambs said:

I did too, but then I read it again and saw it the other way, and now Who Princess has cleared it up!
    I just read that Loretta Lynch is considered Obama's most likely nomination.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    myoung321 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

Hmmmm

They would and they have. Even the all mighty Obama did it to Alito in 2006, although "he vocally disapproved", his actions speak louder than his words.
    Yet he is on the court today....hmmm

That was not my point. My point was that the exact person that supported a filibuster in 2006, in a lot the same way as what we are seeing today, cannot (without being a HUGE hypocrite) preach that the opposition is not following the rules by attempting the same tactic against him now that he is president. History has yet to say whether or not it will work this time around.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    "Scalia accepted gifts on occasion, two of them that reflected the love that brought him to Texas on his final trip: a $1,000 shotgun and a $600 rifle, both from the National Wild Turkey Federation."

http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/A-man-in-overdrive-Scalia-made-more-than-6830595.php
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

myoung321 said:

rgambs said:

Of course they're not a mom-and-pop operation. There's a half dozen of their stores within a 20-30 minute drive for me. I was ridiculing the argument they made (family business, religious beliefs, etc.) which the Supreme Court accepted.

As someone who enjoys needlework as a hobby, I can tell you that it isn't even a decent hobby store. I only shopped there a couple of times years ago and never went back because (1) they didn't have any of the things I needed and (2) they played religious music over the PA. I'm pretty live and let live about people's religious beliefs but I thought playing music like that for shoppers was weird. After the SCOTUS decision, I will never set foot in the place, not that I'd have any reason to.
    My apologies... I didn't catch the sarcasm...

myoung321 said:

rgambs said:

Hobby Lobby is the only place within 100 miles of my house that sells framing goodies. The thought of buying something there to be used for framing a PJ poster feels wrong. I also have not stepped foot in there since the ruling.

• myoung321 said:

My apologies... I didn't catch the sarcasm...

No worries. Sometimes it's hard to detect sarcasm in an online discussion, especially with something like politics! :lol:
    myoung321 said:

Hobby Lobby is the only place within 100 miles of my house that sells framing goodies. The thought of buying something there to be used for framing a PJ poster feels wrong. I also have not stepped foot in there since the ruling.

Have you tried buying framing supplies online? I haven't done it in ages but my husband used to do that.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,737
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,737
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Thanks for those, mickeyrat. Would that the members of Congress respected each other and worked together that way.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    njnancy said:

myoung321 said:

give it 50 years. scalia's rulings will be judged by history to be as backwards as the dred scott decision and separate but equal.

No different than the rest of the Conservatives throughout our history

Conservatives opposed the American Revolution
    Conservatives opposed freeing the slaves
    Conservatives opposed women’s suffrage
    Conservatives opposed public school
    Conservatives opposed fighting fascism in Europe
    Conservatives opposed minimum wage and child labor laws, the 8-hour work day, weekends, sick leave… etc.
    Conservatives opposed humane treatment of animals
    Conservatives opposed the Social Security Act
    Conservatives opposed the Farm Act
    Conservatives opposed the Interstate Highway System
    Conservatives oppose clean air and water
    Conservatives opposed the Civil Right’s Act
    Conservatives opposed the G.I. Bill
    Conservatives opposed Medicare
    Conservatives oppose Equal Protection Under the Law
    .....etc...etc..etc..

the list is endless......!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the conservatives were the complete opposite of what they are now!!

Also Scalia was just slightly out of touch with the world,no?!?
    Republicans used to be more moderate and tolerant - ie - Lincoln and slavery. Then Southern Democrats - Dixiecrats - split with Democrats and went to Republicans and the moral majority and conservatism in social issues became a large part of the Republican party platform and Democrats became more socially liberal. Conservatism is an ideology in the Republican party.

Scalia was very comfortable in his view of the world. It's just that it was not in touch with the change in attitudes of most Americans. Hence - the cry to 'take our country back'. I always want someone to finish the sentence with who they are taking it back from.
    Taking it back from people who do not allow a non-liberal/progressive viewpoint. For example, Mozilla CEO being fired because he gave a $1,000 to the wrong PAC due to a few whiny people on social media.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    PJ_Soul said:

I am not surprised his death is being cheered on the Train. Some of you continue to have blinders on and just do not see how full of hate you are and completely intolerant of others opinions. The guy doesn't get to the supreme court and be respected by the most liberal judges on the court (even great friends with and travel companions) by being a bigot. He just interprets the constitution from his viewpoint and others view it differently. He still respected his peers on the court and they respected him, but on the Train it is the epitome of "My way or the highway" per usual. Cheering death for anyone you disagree with.

I do not cheer for death of people just because I disagree with them. I cheer for the death of people who I think are rotten human beings who cause harm to the world. Scalia applies.

PS - couldn't care less if you think being glad he's dead is bad taste. That guy was a motherfucker as far as I'm concerned and I am pleased as punch that his voice is gone from the US supreme court. Death was the only thing that would shut the fucker up.
    Classy.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    edited February 2016

njnancy said:

myoung321 said:

give it 50 years. scalia's rulings will be judged by history to be as backwards as the dred scott decision and separate but equal.

Conservatives opposed minimum wage and child labor laws, the 8-hour work day, weekends, sick leave… etc.
    .....etc...etc..etc..

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the conservatives were the complete opposite of what they are now!!

Republicans used to be more moderate and tolerant - ie - Lincoln and slavery. Then Southern Democrats - Dixiecrats - split with Democrats and went to Republicans and the moral majority and conservatism in social issues became a large part of the Republican party platform and Democrats became more socially liberal. Conservatism is an ideology in the Republican party.

Scalia was very comfortable in his view of the world. It's just that it was not in touch with the change in attitudes of most Americans. Hence - the cry to 'take our country back'. I always want someone to finish the sentence with who they are taking it back from.
    Taking it back from people who do not allow a non-liberal/progressive viewpoint. For example, Mozilla CEO being fired because he gave a $1,000 to the wrong PAC due to a few whiny people on social media.

Brandon Eich stepped down and wasnt fired, Eich posted that "under the present circumstances, I cannot be an effective leader."

When running a non profit that relies heavily on donations all the while trying to compete with Apple, Google and Microsoft.... being a bigot is frowned upon. Did he get pressure step down...of course. Rightfully so imo
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,887

PJ_Soul said:

I am not surprised his death is being cheered on the Train. Some of you continue to have blinders on and just do not see how full of hate you are and completely intolerant of others opinions. The guy doesn't get to the supreme court and be respected by the most liberal judges on the court (even great friends with and travel companions) by being a bigot. He just interprets the constitution from his viewpoint and others view it differently. He still respected his peers on the court and they respected him, but on the Train it is the epitome of "My way or the highway" per usual. Cheering death for anyone you disagree with.

I do not cheer for death of people just because I disagree with them. I cheer for the death of people who I think are rotten human beings who cause harm to the world. Scalia applies.

PS - couldn't care less if you think being glad he's dead is bad taste. That guy was a motherfucker as far as I'm concerned and I am pleased as punch that his voice is gone from the US supreme court. Death was the only thing that would shut the fucker up.
    Classy.
    Oh please.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,165
    edited February 2016
    The nomination process starts with the president not with congress telling him when he can or can't put forth a nominee it's right there in the constitution so let's see how the GOP tries to spin this issue ....
    Obama should nominee 10 candidates just to make these assholes work make them vote yes or no
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346

The nomination process states with the president not with congress telling him when he can or can't put forth a nominee it's right there in the constitution so let's see how the GOP tries to spin this issue ....
    Obama should nominee 10 candidates just to make these assholes work make them vote yes or no

That would be comical.
  • does anybody think for one second that if the shoe were on the other foot, republican president, democratic senate, that the republican president would stand down and wait for the election??

if you believe that they would, i have a bridge to sell you.

and a donkey kong msg poster.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

njnancy said:

myoung321 said:

.....etc...etc..etc..

Hahaha awww poor baby! He will probably only be rich for the rest of his life :bawling:

That's how the free market works, people vote with their wallets. It's all fine and good for him to donate money to actively deny rights to American citizens, but not ok for American citizens to say "Bullshit" and refuse to do business with said bigot? It seems like you are biased towards those who try to make bigots own their words. Strange.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499

The nomination process states with the president not with congress telling him when he can or can't put forth a nominee it's right there in the constitution so let's see how the GOP tries to spin this issue ....

Obama disagrees with you based on his vote to follow through with the filibuster of Alito in 2006. Funny how that fact keeps being avoided.
  • i have a hobby lobby a half mile from my house. since the SC decision in the hobby lobby case i have had a couple thousand dollars of custom framing done. i went elsewhere. would it be more convenient for me to go to hobby lobby? sure. but i vote with my wallet, and they can go fuck themselves as far as i am concerned.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
This discussion has been closed.