• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    FoxyRedLa said:

Jason P said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Jason P said:

yellowwho said:

Jason P said:

Hyatt is expensive but probably worth it to save hassle after the show.

what's the rates been going for ?? just wondering....I booked the Hilton across the street but almost went Hyatt
    Right now it is $225 with no cancellation policy. I'm waiting for the lotto to finish before booking.
    I booked thru expedia and I am offered free cancelation.
    I checked and you can get free cancellation, but it's $40 extra.
    If you pay later? Is that what you mean?
    It's $200 plus taxes for pay now and no cancel or $240 for pay later w/ cancel.
  • Options
    ham_on_ryeham_on_rye Indiana Dunes Posts: 205
    edited January 2016
    Driving down from Northwest Indiana hopefully with tickets in reserved. My # is in the 4#####'s so with 99% holding steady I may see some good seats! Accuweather says the average is high 60's for that time of year in Lexington.
    Post edited by ham_on_rye on
  • Options
    Just booked at Hyatt. Hope I get tickets, if I do will have an extra. If I don't can someone hook a brother up? lol
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    edited January 2016

Goddamn! Thats kind of cool. Anyone comment on the overall acoustics of the Rupp Arena?

I've never had a truly bad concert experience there (have seen numerous shows over the years, including PJ 2003, Bush/Goo Goo Dolls/No Doubt in 1996, Chili Peppers/Foo Fighters in 2000, U2 in 2001, Tom Petty 2002, Nine Inch Nails 2006, DMB 1998, and Springsteen 2002), but I don't love it. (Admittedly, I'm biased--the luxurious-by-comparison KFC Yum! Center in Louisville is in my backyard, and has comparable capacity, plus PJ hasn't played Louisville itself since 1994.) It's multipurpose, and holds all kind of events, but it was built primarily as a temple for basketball, so everything is steep to give a birds-eye view of the floor. The lower level is steeper than in a lot of arenas, and the upper deck is (unless the last round of renovations changed this) all bleachers, and pretty steep. So if you don't get 10C tickets, do your best at the TM sale to get floor or lower bowl.
    know1 said:

As I mentioned earlier, you do not want to miss Keeneland. If you're flying in that early, go there on the weekend and then check out Frankfort and Louisville the other days. I wouldn't bother with either one of those, though. I'd go on some distillery tours or go for a hike at Red River Gorge or even the Kentucky Horse Park. There's almost nothing to see in Frankfort and I'm not sure what you'd want to visit in Louisville either.

Frankfort is the state capital, but other than government buildings, isn't much of a city--it's halfway between Louisville and Lexington, and people who live there are usually okay to go to either of them for major events and activities.

There's a ton to see in Louisville, and as it's a couple weeks before the Kentucky Derby, the city will be in the process of prettying up for the tourists. Churchill Downs won't be active (its opening day is usually the Saturday before Kentucky Derby, which means it will open on 4/30, after most PJ fans have moved on), so if you want to see racing, go to Keeneland in Lexington. But the Kentucky Derby Museum is onsite, and open every day, I think. Downtown has the Louisville Slugger Museum (with tours of the working baseball-bat factory floor daily). The restaurant/bar scene is great--there's a few hopping neighborhoods like NuLu (East Market Street, on the eastern end of downtown), Frankfort Avenue, and the Highlands (Bardstown Road/Baxter Avenue). Recommended stops include Against The Grain (brewpub located at Louisville Slugger Field, the minor league ballpark downtown, with a rotating list of interesting beers), Silver Dollar (constantly on magazine lists of best whiskey bars in the country, and with a tasty food menu to boot), and Doc Crow's (barbecue and oyster bar near the KFC Yum! Center downtown).

And if you come into Kentucky early enough, on Saturday 4/23 is Thunder Over Louisville, the air show and massive fireworks spectacular that serves as the official kickoff of the Kentucky Derby Festival. It's downtown over the Ohio River, with lots of viewing spaces in the parks and businesses along the way (the park space is free and/or cheap, maybe $5 admission, but the restaurants, garage rooftops, etc are expensive and booked well in advance). Big crowds, and not always the best weather, but a good sight to see if you're there.

• Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Spoony C said:

Goddamn! Thats kind of cool. Anyone comment on the overall acoustics of the Rupp Arena?

I've never had a truly bad concert experience there (have seen numerous shows over the years, including PJ 2003, Bush/Goo Goo Dolls/No Doubt in 1996, Chili Peppers/Foo Fighters in 2000, U2 in 2001, Tom Petty 2002, Nine Inch Nails 2006, DMB 1998, and Springsteen 2002), but I don't love it. (Admittedly, I'm biased--the luxurious-by-comparison KFC Yum! Center in Louisville is in my backyard, and has comparable capacity, plus PJ hasn't played Louisville itself since 1994.) It's multipurpose, and holds all kind of events, but it was built primarily as a temple for basketball, so everything is steep to give a birds-eye view of the floor. The lower level is steeper than in a lot of arenas, and the upper deck is (unless the last round of renovations changed this) all bleachers, and pretty steep. So if you don't get 10C tickets, do your best at the TM sale to get floor or lower bowl.
    know1 said:

As I mentioned earlier, you do not want to miss Keeneland. If you're flying in that early, go there on the weekend and then check out Frankfort and Louisville the other days. I wouldn't bother with either one of those, though. I'd go on some distillery tours or go for a hike at Red River Gorge or even the Kentucky Horse Park. There's almost nothing to see in Frankfort and I'm not sure what you'd want to visit in Louisville either.

Frankfort is the state capital, but other than government buildings, isn't much of a city--it's halfway between Louisville and Lexington, and people who live there are usually okay to go to either of them for major events and activities.

There's a ton to see in Louisville, and as it's a couple weeks before the Kentucky Derby, the city will be in the process of prettying up for the tourists. Churchill Downs won't be active (its opening day is usually the Saturday before Kentucky Derby, which means it will open on 4/30, after most PJ fans have moved on), so if you want to see racing, go to Keeneland in Lexington. But the Kentucky Derby Museum is onsite, and open every day, I think. Downtown has the Louisville Slugger Museum (with tours of the working baseball-bat factory floor daily). The restaurant/bar scene is great--there's a few hopping neighborhoods like NuLu (East Market Street, on the eastern end of downtown), Frankfort Avenue, and the Highlands (Bardstown Road/Baxter Avenue). Recommended stops include Against The Grain (brewpub located at Louisville Slugger Field, the minor league ballpark downtown, with a rotating list of interesting beers), Silver Dollar (constantly on magazine lists of best whiskey bars in the country, and with a tasty food menu to boot), and Doc Crow's (barbecue and oyster bar near the KFC Yum! Center downtown).

And if you come into Kentucky early enough, on Saturday 4/23 is Thunder Over Louisville, the air show and massive fireworks spectacular that serves as the official kickoff of the Kentucky Derby Festival. It's downtown over the Ohio River, with lots of viewing spaces in the parks and businesses along the way (the park space is free and/or cheap, maybe $5 admission, but the restaurants, garage rooftops, etc are expensive and booked well in advance). Big crowds, and not always the best weather, but a good sight to see if you're there.

thanks for all the advise !
  • Options
    KCjamKCjam Posts: 135
    pjalive21 said:

Never been to Lexington, rolling the dice.... Only a 5 hour trip from St. Louis....who else is going to attempt?
    Any suggested places to stay, eat, drink?

pjalive21 said:

Never been to Lexington, rolling the dice.... Only a 5 hour trip from St. Louis....who else is going to attempt?

Lexington is a very nice city. Downtown has a cozy feel to it. I live in Georgetown and work about 2 blocks from Rupp. I have been taking some walks as I am getting old and need some exercise and go right past Rupp and the ticket office about 2 or 3 days a week. Rupp connects to the Hyatt Regency Hotel which is very nice and pricey, I am sure.

Cheapside Bar and Grill is right next to my office and about 2 blocks from Rupp on the Corner of Short and Mill Streets. It is really good. Sawyers has really good burgers and chilli and is a bit closer to Rupp off of Main Street. The Rupp complex has some restaurants (Arby's, Subway, A & W, and a Chinese place that is pretty good).

I put in for that show and 3 others.
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    edited January 2016
    I've never had a truly bad concert experience there (have seen numerous shows over the years, including PJ 2003, , Tom Petty 2002, Nine Inch Nails 2006,
    @Spoony C
    I was at these 3 shows too.... Do you remember how insane the floor area was during NIN? It was awesome and packed like sardines. Just a giant mosh pit basically....
    Pearl Jam were awesome.
    Tom Petty played the entire Last DJ album...My buddy hated it, I thought it was great.

I really suck at replying on this message board.
    Post edited by TL170678 on
  • Options
    KCjamKCjam Posts: 135

I live here and planning to attend. Have not been to concert at Rupp but have seen a couple basketball games which have been a blast. Pizza place called Pies and Pints right across the street. New restaurant called HopCat which has a tremendous beer selection. You'll also be able to find bourbon without a problem. There is a nice Hilton downtown right near the arena which also has a restaurant called Bigg Blue Martini. Haven't had food but drinks before ball game since its so close to arena. Also, there is a restaurant called Saul Good within walking distance of both Hilton and arena which has good food and beverage options. The Hyatt is connected to Rupp so obviously a nice choice due to minimal travel. Interested in some good craft beer, there is one about 5 minutes from arena called Blue Stallion Brewing Co.

Have also been to Pies and Pints (saw Coach Cal in there last year with his coaching staff). Really good pizza and awesome beer selection. And recently went to HopCat for the first time, and I agree it is pretty good with large beer selection as well. And was a regular at Big Blue Stallion for a while there. Drive past it every day going to work. It is good. On the corner of 3rd Street and Newtown Pike.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    KCjam said:

pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

Lexington is a very nice city. Downtown has a cozy feel to it. I live in Georgetown and work about 2 blocks from Rupp. I have been taking some walks as I am getting old and need some exercise and go right past Rupp and the ticket office about 2 or 3 days a week. Rupp connects to the Hyatt Regency Hotel which is very nice and pricey, I am sure.

Cheapside Bar and Grill is right next to my office and about 2 blocks from Rupp on the Corner of Short and Mill Streets. It is really good. Sawyers has really good burgers and chilli and is a bit closer to Rupp off of Main Street. The Rupp complex has some restaurants (Arby's, Subway, A & W, and a Chinese place that is pretty good).

I put in for that show and 3 others.
    Thanks for the suggestions, im hoping I score tickets and am able to check out the city and all the suggestions people have given. Not very man cities I haven't been to and this is one of them so im very much looking forward to it. I ended up booking a studio apartment off Arnbnb for 48 bucks a mile from Rupp and on the outskirts of UofK so ill get to walk the area a little bit.

• Options

Driving down from Northwest Indiana hopefully with tickets in reserved. My # is in the 4#####'s so with 99% holding steady I may see some good seats! Accuweather says the average is high 60's for that time of year in Lexington.

Northwest Indiana here too!! Lexington is a definite for me as well. Hoping for both wrigleys also but one show at a time.
  • Options
    Northwest Indiana!!! We are well represented!!!
    I'm definitely driving to Lexington, Already booked at the Hilton! Just need tickets now
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    Flying solo to Lexington, excited for this show...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Driving in from Madison WI staying at Hyatt
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Has anybody figured out the "name your price" deal on priceline?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    Malroth said:

Has anybody figured out the "name your price" deal on priceline?

Got to www.betterbidding.com. It gives you bidding strategies to maximize your odds at getting the lowest price. Plus people post their wins so you know what you are likely to get and what they won them for.

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Trivago is also another nice tool to look for cheap hotels, I used them a couple of time if you choose not to use Airbnb or those kind of services. Lumps most of the sites together to see where you can get the best deals
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    edited January 2016
    Just booked Springhill Suites for $150 about 10 blocks away.....free parking, internet, and breakfast!!
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

Just booked Springhill Suites for $150 about 10 blocks away.....free parking, internet, and breakfast!!

That's where I'm staying. Less than a mile away from Rupp.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    Watching the Kentucky basketball game on tv. Rupp Arena looks like it's going to be a nice place for a PJ concert
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    I'm not sure if my girlfriend is more excited for the chance to see PJ at Rupp, or finding out there's a HopCat brewpub in Lexington. :lol:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,537
    Planning on driving in from Toronto. Would be happy to pick up anyone on the way.
    Also looking for a single ticket. Sent a PM based on some mentions in this thread.

Or should I just put into the lottery and try to sell an extra?
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I'll be flying in solo from Winnipeg and then will road trip it to Philly. If the draw goes my way then I will have a ticket to spare.
  • Options
    Mookie1Mookie1 Posts: 223
    Thanks for the heads up on SpringHill Suites. Just booked it. What are the good bars/restaurants on the walk to Rupp Arena? Driving in from St. Louis.
  • Options
    robertstackarmyrobertstackarmy So. WI Posts: 681
    I'm flying from Wisconsin. I have a friend in West Virginia, so I am staying with him. I am jacked.
  • Options
    CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    Gibson said:

Planning on driving in from Toronto. Would be happy to pick up anyone on the way.
    Also looking for a single ticket. Sent a PM based on some mentions in this thread.

Or should I just put into the lottery and try to sell an extra?

I would get in the lotto. You'll have no problem getting rid of an extra. My best friend and I have memberships and my wife is a huge fan. We are both in the drawing. If only one of us gets GA tickets, we will need an extra. If we both get GA, we will have no problem giving an extra away.

Plus, it's good way to meet a fellow fan.

• Options
    meganrosemeganrose Northern, KY Posts: 133
    CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS SHOW! First show in KY, in 13 years. They've only played Kentucky, what? Twice at the max? This will be a special show for sure.
    #feelthebern #bernie2016
  • Options
    UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 778
    edited January 2016
    Anyone staying at the Staybridge Suites?
    Post edited by UmphreysJam34 on
  • Options
    I have not been to Rupp since it got remodeled and stuff....Anyone know if you have to wait outside before the doors open or can you wait in the mall to get in? Assuming the mall is still connected. Seems like I remember being able to wait inside.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    TL170678 said:

I have not been to Rupp since it got remodeled and stuff....Anyone know if you have to wait outside before the doors open or can you wait in the mall to get in? Assuming the mall is still connected. Seems like I remember being able to wait inside.

You can wait inside. I saw Garth there in November 2014. They had 2 shows that night. The whole crowd for the 2nd show was waiting in the mall while the first show's crowd emptied out.
  • Options
    Sweet I have a feeling it`s going to be freezing cold