Options

2016 Pearl Jam Tour Announcement

Comments

• Options
    Regena said:

Regena said:

First no show in Atlanta. They haven't played in ATL in 5 or so years and the last time they did it was at a crap festival. Now just spent my lunch hour trying to get tickets and got nothing. But, hey StubHub has plenty for sale at twice the price. After loyally following this band since their very beginning I am done with them. They once fought the evil, greedy Ticketmaster and now they are obviously in bed with them. I won't be renewing my fan club membership next year.

Hold up. You couldn't get tickets to a PJ show on your lunch break, so it's their fault, they are losers, in bed with TM and you don't like them anymore? How old the fuck are you?
    Old enough to know that the band I saw at the Fox Theatre in '94 isn't the same band that has sold their souls to Ticketmaster today. I guess you do what you have to do to live in Hawaii and support super models.
    Ouch, that's rough!

What most people don't understand is...without ticketmaster PJ would have nowhere to play except the parking lot of your local Piggly Wiggly. Ticketmaster controls almost all the major arenas. It's not just PJ seats they control it's everybody.

PJ keeps the ticket prices at a reasonable rate. If they were greedy like you say needing money to support super models living in Hawaii they could easily raise the prices for the closer seats much higher like almost every other band does. They could also sell all sorts of other perks like meet n greets and V.I.P. packages ect. ect. at super outrageous prices.

Luckily super models make pretty good money themselves :)
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    RegenaRegena Posts: 4
    edited January 2016
    JDime20 said:

Regena said:

First no show in Atlanta. They haven't played in ATL in 5 or so years and the last time they did it was at a crap festival. Now just spent my lunch hour trying to get tickets and got nothing. But, hey StubHub has plenty for sale at twice the price. After loyally following this band since their very beginning I am done with them. They once fought the evil, greedy Ticketmaster and now they are obviously in bed with them. I won't be renewing my fan club membership next year.

I feel we're lucky that this band affords us the opportunity to win tickets before the general public. How many tickets do they secure for us so we can avoid TM? All these people complaining about not winning any tickets when they only entered for the most in demand shows is insane. You knew you had little chance to win and chose to take that risk. The fact that they have so many loyal fans that are willing to travel the county to see them is part of what makes them so great. So what if they aren't playing Atlanta? They're playing Greenville which is close. What about those in the Midwest and West that have no shows and might not get any? The band doesn't control TM or stubhub, that has nothing to do with Pearl Jam. All these scalpers know its a ticket in high demand so they to their thing, Pearl Jam cannot control that. It's one of negatives about how popular this band is and how loyal we are to them. The venues have ticket deals too, PJ can't secure every single ticket. Be grateful they're still making music and touring after 25 years.
    A) I missed out on the fanclub "lottery" and was merely trying to pay a lot of money for the "privilege" of being raped by Ticketmaster.

B) I was attempting to get tickets for Greenville and was in the system the millisecond they went on sale only to be immediately put in the queue for what was suppose to be 7 minutes. When that 7 minutes was up I was kicked back into the queue for another 10 minutes. This process persisted over and over for an hour all the while never even getting a shot at attempting to purchase any tickets. And so on until the maximum amount of time I could afford to waste was gone and yet I continued to attempting to get tickets at the risk of being reprimanded for effing off on the job. Finally, after well over an hour of trying suddenly I was informed that there no tickets available for that venue. Basically, "you lose...eff you very much for playing."

C) They are the talent. People are paying to see them, not the ripoff ticket processing service. If at this point in their successful careers they have conceded absolutely all control of how their talent is being monetized, I don't know if I really care to continue ingratiating them with my hard earned money.

D) I do appreciate fact that they are still touring after 25 years, but to be honest they haven't made a truly relevant album since Riot Act. Nonetheless, I would still like to occasionally see them. But, if they can't negotiate a deal that doesn't involve allowing large blocks of tickets to be pre-sold to third-party, corporate scalpers, then maybe I need to reevaluate my loyalty to this band.

E) Finally, the reality is that without us, there is no them.
    Post edited by Regena on
  • Options
    RegenaRegena Posts: 4
    edited January 2016

Regena said:

Regena said:

Hold up. You couldn't get tickets to a PJ show on your lunch break, so it's their fault, they are losers, in bed with TM and you don't like them anymore? How old the fuck are you?
    Old enough to know that the band I saw at the Fox Theatre in '94 isn't the same band that has sold their souls to Ticketmaster today. I guess you do what you have to do to live in Hawaii and support super models.
    Ouch, that's rough!

What most people don't understand is...without ticketmaster PJ would have nowhere to play except the parking lot of your local Piggly Wiggly. Ticketmaster controls almost all the major arenas. It's not just PJ seats they control it's everybody.

PJ keeps the ticket prices at a reasonable rate. If they were greedy like you say needing money to support super models living in Hawaii they could easily raise the prices for the closer seats much higher like almost every other band does. They could also sell all sorts of other perks like meet n greets and V.I.P. packages ect. ect. at super outrageous prices.

Wrong. Artists have sheepishly been fooled into believing that they are helpless to do anything to control how their talent is monetized when it comes to live performances. The truth is the ticket processing service is at the artists mercy because if they decide not to play by their greedy, crooked rules then Ticketmaster doesn't make a thin dime. Simple, "you can agree to our terms to not eff over our fans and still make a dump truck load of money or we can go to the numerous other ticket processing services that have popped up since we attempted to fight you greedy, evil effs and you make nothing." It's not 1994 anymore. Maybe, you play smaller venues that aren't controlled by TicketRapist and make a little less money, but make up for it by touring more than every 4 years. Or you just except making a little less money altogether because you're already rich thanks to all those fans who supported you for all these many years and you wouldn't dream of letting them get screwed over by a corporate vampire like TicketRapest.
    Post edited by Regena on
  • Options
    GummiBeerGummiBeer Newfoundland Canada Posts: 189
    Regena said:

Regena said:

Regena said:

Ouch, that's rough!

Wrong. Artists have sheepishly been fooled into believing that they are helpless to do anything to control how their talent is monetized when come to live performances. The truth is the ticket processing service is at the artists mercy because if they decide not to play by the crooked rules then Ticketmaster doesn't make a thin dime. Simple, "you can agree to our terms to not eff over our fans and still make a dump truck load of money or we can go to the numerous other ticket processing services that have popped up since we attempted to fight you greedy, evil effs and you make nothing." It's not 1994 anymore.
    Yes, go back to 95-98. the ticketmaster boycott almost caused the band to fold. The added responsibility of doing shows on the outskirts of major centers crippled the band.

Now if Springsteen, uncle Neil, U2, Maiden and every other major did a small market tours where ticket master don't exist...it will hurt them and maybe teach some sort of lesson

Calgary 04-09-2005
    Edmonton 05-09-2005

"A Thousand Ports of light For the Newfoundland...Theres a Kinder gentler American Band"...EV 25/09/05
  • Options
    yellowboyyellowboy Atlanta Georgia biggest PJ Fan Posts: 119
    Dang Regena, that IS harsh. I live in Atlanta and there's a 50-50 chance that I have an extra Greenville ticket... Sounds like you need a show about now. Are you interested, for face value, if my buddy in New Jersey can't come.? (Pretty sure he can't)
    I've got memories, I've got shit.
  • Options
    MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 502
    GummiBeer said:

Regena said:

Regena said:

Regena said:

Ouch, that's rough!

Wrong. Artists have sheepishly been fooled into believing that they are helpless to do anything to control how their talent is monetized when come to live performances. The truth is the ticket processing service is at the artists mercy because if they decide not to play by the crooked rules then Ticketmaster doesn't make a thin dime. Simple, "you can agree to our terms to not eff over our fans and still make a dump truck load of money or we can go to the numerous other ticket processing services that have popped up since we attempted to fight you greedy, evil effs and you make nothing." It's not 1994 anymore.
    Yes, go back to 95-98. the ticketmaster boycott almost caused the band to fold. The added responsibility of doing shows on the outskirts of major centers crippled the band.

Now if Springsteen, uncle Neil, U2, Maiden and every other major did a small market tours where ticket master don't exist...it will hurt them and maybe teach some sort of lesson

It may teach them a lesson, but the fact is they have ticket control over the major venues. Last time I checked those venues have professional sport franchises in them. A few boycotting bands will not stop ticketmaster. Now if the mlb, nfl, nba, nhl, mls,and wnba all said we are done with this crap. Only at that point there will be change.
  • Options
    yellowboy said:

Dang Regena, that IS harsh. I live in Atlanta and there's a 50-50 chance that I have an extra Greenville ticket... Sounds like you need a show about now. Are you interested, for face value, if my buddy in New Jersey can't come.? (Pretty sure he can't)

You sir, restore my faith in humanity.
  • Options
    Regena said:

JDime20 said:

Regena said:

I feel we're lucky that this band affords us the opportunity to win tickets before the general public. How many tickets do they secure for us so we can avoid TM? All these people complaining about not winning any tickets when they only entered for the most in demand shows is insane. You knew you had little chance to win and chose to take that risk. The fact that they have so many loyal fans that are willing to travel the county to see them is part of what makes them so great. So what if they aren't playing Atlanta? They're playing Greenville which is close. What about those in the Midwest and West that have no shows and might not get any? The band doesn't control TM or stubhub, that has nothing to do with Pearl Jam. All these scalpers know its a ticket in high demand so they to their thing, Pearl Jam cannot control that. It's one of negatives about how popular this band is and how loyal we are to them. The venues have ticket deals too, PJ can't secure every single ticket. Be grateful they're still making music and touring after 25 years.
    A) I missed out on the fanclub "lottery" and was merely trying to pay a lot of money for the "privilege" of being raped by Ticketmaster.

B) I was attempting to get tickets for Greenville and was in the system the millisecond they went on sale only to be immediately put in the queue for what was suppose to be 7 minutes. When that 7 minutes was up I was kicked back into the queue for another 10 minutes. This process persisted over and over for an hour all the while never even getting a shot at attempting to purchase any tickets. And so on until the maximum amount of time I could afford to waste was gone and yet I continued to attempting to get tickets at the risk of being reprimanded for effing off on the job. Finally, after well over an hour of trying suddenly I was informed that there no tickets available for that venue. Basically, "you lose...eff you very much for playing."

C) They are the talent. People are paying to see them, not the ripoff ticket processing service. If at this point in their successful careers they have conceded absolutely all control of how their talent is being monetized, I don't know if I really care to continue ingratiating them with my hard earned money.

D) I do appreciate fact that they are still touring after 25 years, but to be honest they haven't made a truly relevant album since Riot Act. Nonetheless, I would still like to occasionally see them. But, if they can't negotiate a deal that doesn't involve allowing large blocks of tickets to be pre-sold to third-party, corporate scalpers, then maybe I need to reevaluate my loyalty to this band.

but same shit happened to me man...i got them from Ticketmaster but my buddy had to fight hard for them for us. Your crazy man Pearl Jam is cheap compared to some bands and you get your moneys worth for sure.
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    Regena said:

JDime20 said:

Regena said:

Just pulled 2 tickets in Greenville on Ticketmaster. 22 hours after the on sale started. If you want to be at that show, you can. But you just wanna bitch and whine about Ticketmaster.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    yellowboyyellowboy Atlanta Georgia biggest PJ Fan Posts: 119
    I just pulled two tickets for the Greenville show also – I threw them back in because I already mine... Upper level behind the stage but at least you'll be at the party!

I've got memories, I've got shit.
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    cblock77 said:

yellowboy said:

Regina – I too live in Atlanta and I feel your pain. But I'm not so sure you can put the blame on the band.... They would

Lexington is closer to Nashville than Atlanta, isn't it? That can't be the reason.

Regena said:

Regena said:

The band already fought the TM fight and lost. There is a virtual monopoly on proper venues in the US. Unfortunately dealing with companies like Live Nation and TM is a necessary evil in today's market. It has nothing to do with selling out and everything to do with acceptance of reality. PJ can't change the world on their own.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    My one small suggestion to the band, especially for "hot" shows like MSG or Philly: Paperless tickets. Not necessarily for the entire venue, but certainly the lower bowl.
    PJ already does this with 10C tickets... Why not ones for the public? You have to show up IN PERSON, with YOUR credit card, and you get admitted when you walk in. It wouldn't 100% eliminate scalpers (nothing will short of actual laws), but it would kill most of the secondary market.
  • Options
    I feel Atlanta's pain. At this point I think the band has recorded or mixed more albums in ATL (five) than played actual shows in the last 20 years (four). The last non-festival show? 2003. Just baffling.
    That said... Greenville & Columbia are both reasonable drives from ATL, and 10C odds were good for both. In fact, I'm pretty sure Columbia had 99% odds for RESV, so those were basically guaranteed tickets if you went for them. The 'Roo restriction was obviously the reason for avoiding ATL, but as a long-time Southern fan, I'm personally ecstatic they're playing multiple dates in the Southeast (3!!!) for the first time since 2003. (TEN Southern dates on that tour. I don't think they've played 10 Southern shows TOTAL in the 12 years since!!)
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    rchallen said:

My one small suggestion to the band, especially for "hot" shows like MSG or Philly: Paperless tickets. Not necessarily for the entire venue, but certainly the lower bowl.
    PJ already does this with 10C tickets... Why not ones for the public? You have to show up IN PERSON, with YOUR credit card, and you get admitted when you walk in. It wouldn't 100% eliminate scalpers (nothing will short of actual laws), but it would kill most of the secondary market.

That would be fantastic
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    vonlupvonlup Indy Posts: 75
    1. Regena, if you don't like it, then go and find a new band. The rest of us love pj.
    2. We're are willing to travel to shows because pj is awesome. Isn't part of the experience making new friends?
    3. Paperless tickets are a great idea.
    4. No system is perfect
    5. To the person that called it ticket rapist. Right on.
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    If it hasn't been said already, stop comparing whatever it is you think Ticketmaster is doing to "rape." It ain't the same thing, I don't care how mad you are. It's a rock band.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    vant0037 said:

If it hasn't been said already, stop comparing whatever it is you think Ticketmaster is doing to "rape." It ain't the same thing, I don't care how mad you are. It's a rock band.

It's the commercial greed of ticket master.... Nothing to do with PJ, or any other band.
  • Options
    vonlup said:

vant0037 said:

It's the commercial greed of ticket master.... Nothing to do with PJ, or any other band.
    I understand full well why people are upset and I'm not defending Ticketmaster. But people are comparing not getting tickets through a flawed process to rape. It's not semantics, it's not slang. It's a ticket to a rock concert. Not rape.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    vant0037 said:

vonlup said:

vant0037 said:

I understand full well why people are upset and I'm not defending Ticketmaster. But people are comparing not getting tickets through a flawed process to rape. It's not semantics, it's not slang. It's a ticket to a rock concert. Not rape.
    OK. I see your point. It's not meant to be literal interpretation. Sorry if I offended you. Not my intention.
  • Options
    vonlup said:

vant0037 said:

vonlup said:

vant0037 said:

OK. I see your point. It's not meant to be literal interpretation. Sorry if I offended you. Not my intention.
    It wasn't directed at you. I just hate to see perspective go out the window on this stuff. Again, it wasn't directed at you.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    JL2742JL2742 Posts: 5
    Easy solution to all this ticketmaster madness. All tickets should be first offered to fan club members through the lottery. Let ticketmaster charge the extra fees on all tickets. Any remaining tickets not sold through lottery can be sold to the public.
  • Options
    MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 502
    Can't wait till this discussion comes up again after the Boston and chicago tix go on sale
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    JL2742 said:

Easy solution to all this ticketmaster madness. All tickets should be first offered to fan club members through the lottery. Let ticketmaster charge the extra fees on all tickets. Any remaining tickets not sold through lottery can be sold to the public.

Except arenas have contracts in place with season ticket holders and corporate seat/box owners that supersede your fan club membership.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    vant0037 said:

This exactly.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    PJ 20 on vh1 classic 8pm, est today
  • Options
    I'm not worried about the corp boxes and season ticket holders, it's the ticket brokers and computer programs they need to stop
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    JL2742 said:

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. Not an option.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,905
    edited February 2016
    Is Toronto Night 1 the only show listed on Ticketmaster now that has a waiting window to see if there are tickets for sale?

Anyone else seeing this?

The past hour there's a waiting time of 11 minutes per try. Does this mean there are still tickets available for purchase?

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/search?tm_link=tm_header_search&user_input=pearl+jam+toronto&q=pearl+jam+toronto

Night 1 say's "Not Many Left" while Night 2 say's "No Tickets Right Now". Though the last 2 day's those titles have been changing back & forth.
  • Options
    mp0213mp0213 Posts: 16
    rchallen said:

Great idea in theory,but paperless is illegal in NY
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    mp0213 said:

rchallen said:

Great idea in theory,but paperless is illegal in NY
    Irony that NY is suing for unfair ticket practices but does not allow paperless tickets
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
This discussion has been closed.