Earplugs or au natúrel?

13»

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,353
    Zod said:
    I've had hearing damage since I was 19.   I went to see Soundgarden play at the PNE Forum in Vancouver.  It's a little old jr hockey arena with horrible acoustics.   Bands need to crank the volume in that thing just so people can hear the music.    It was so loud, I didn't have a ringing problem, I had a static problem. All I could hear for a few days after the show was static, it took 2 to 3 days to calm down to ringing.

I think that's where my Tinnitus started.  I've work ear plugs (usually just foam ones, as rigid ones big my ears) ever since. I think I forgot a pair for a Metallica show in '98, and a bar show a year later, but I've worn them at every show since  My Dad sat me down at the Soundgarden show and told me if I'm going to keep going to concerts I need to start wearing plus or I won't have any hearing left when I'm older.

I've struggled with Tinnitus for years.  I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I didn't wear plugs to the 100's and 100's of shows I've gone too over the years.
    I saw Soundgarden in December 1991. It's still the loudest show I've ever heard.* When I got home afterwards, I took a shower because I was sweaty from the show. I turned off the water, and it sounded like I was still in the shower. It was my first experience of the whooshing sound you get in your ears after long exposure to really loud music.

*It's either that or Sonic Youth in 1997, but the Sonic Youth set was outdoors so it must not have been as loud.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • chaspjchaspj Posts: 78
    We got ear plugs for when we were in GA for Nashville in '22. We were about 6 feet from the rail right in front of Stone and I am glad we had them. I will wear them for arena shows, but we will be outdoors for all of the shows we are going to this summer PJ x 2, Foo Fighters and Jason Isbell. I don't plan on wearing them. 
    I saw Isbell last year outdoors.  Didn't bring the earplugs and regretted it.  As loud or louder than his arena shows.
    "Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable"

Portland 2000
    Portland 2013
    Seattle I and II 2018
    Oakland I and II 2020 2022
    Nashvegas 2022
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    I have been wearing earplugs for most shows for a couple of years and find it makes the concert more comfortable. I am not totally pleased with the quality of my current plugs so will look into both vibes and eargasm and maybe some others and choose a better pair. After the Portland show tomorrow :smiley:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,717
    chaspj said:
    We got ear plugs for when we were in GA for Nashville in '22. We were about 6 feet from the rail right in front of Stone and I am glad we had them. I will wear them for arena shows, but we will be outdoors for all of the shows we are going to this summer PJ x 2, Foo Fighters and Jason Isbell. I don't plan on wearing them. 
    I saw Isbell last year outdoors.  Didn't bring the earplugs and regretted it.  As loud or louder than his arena shows.
    I might have to pick up a couple more pairs. I haven’t been able to find ours. We used them last October when we saw Jason at the Ryman and I haven’t seen them since. I spent a while looking for them after I got home from work. They aren’t anywhere to be found. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,958
    GlowGirl said:
    After many years of not using earplugs or having to stuff tissues in my ears impromptu (I'm looking at you, Jack White). I finally got some great earplugs (Eargasms). I have been wearing them to different shows and they are comfortable and don't muffle the sound like foam ones. Highly recommended.
    Thanks for the tip. I'd rather be able to hear long term than worry about looking like a dork. I'm kinda used to that anyhow. When you lose it, it's GONE!
    There’s some that have a fairly low profile and are harder too see
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 664
    I purchased some Etymotics on a recommendation here on the forum some years ago. I have used tons of cheap foamies for at work and for yard work etc. but they cut too much sound out for a concert.

Did not use any at PJ Vancouver as I really didn't feel it was overly loud and I didn't have any ringing in my ears the next day. If you get a pair make sure to play around with them at home. I like to crank my vintage Pioneer or Sansui setup loud and then put them in as the amount of DB they cut is not that much just enough to take out the harmful frequencies.

This sounds a bit OCD but if you've not used them much before you want to reach over your head and pull the the top of your earlobe up with your opposite hand. I like to moisten them slightly and then give them a gentle twist in and also when removing them. The only downfall is I can hear how bad my singing is with the plugs in.