Options

Earplugs or au natúrel?

pepepepe Posts: 30
edited September 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
While I'm waiting for my first PJ set ever important questions arise... like do I use earplugs on the gig or not? And if I do which ones? And how?

Right now I think I'm wearing them (for the warm-up act at least). Thinking of classic yellow disposable foam ones. Maybe I should cut 35-50% off of them to get that sound right...

How has the European Tour sounded so far? What was your choice? Any recommendations?
Prague 22.09.2006...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I took my wife (not a huge PJ fan) to Boston 1 and she brought earplugs. However, she never wore them because she was too into the show. Unless you're going to multiple shows back to back, I hardly think earplugs are necessary.
    "It's gonna be a long night." e.v. 7/11/03
  • Options
    In my experience, earplugs haven't made the sound worse. If anything, earplugs clear up the drums so you can hear the bass guitar better. It terms of ear damage, it probably isn't a big deal if you see a show or two w/o earplugs, but I highly recommend using them if you're seeing 10+ shows, especially in arenas.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I've been close to the stage for recent shows, and I haven't worn earplugs. I'm shocked my ears don't ring afterwards, but they must be doing something with the mix not to hurt ears.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I use plugs at every show. I agree that if you are just going to one or two you should be ok but I go to many and they tend to be in a string so I always wear them.
    "I'd like to thank all you mother fuckers. All you mother fuckers..." EV-10/03/05
  • Options
    Must have been to around 200 shows in my life

Never wore earplugs

Never have problems...

My ears are ok !

Maybe if your ears are fragile, you should wear them.
    If not, it's not necessary at all...
    Still waiting for a gig in Paris (in a venue not a festival) since 2006...
    Spin, spin !!

Marseille + Paris 2006
    London + Werchter 2007
    Arras + Belfast 2010
    Arras 2012
    Paris Lollapalooza 2022
  • Options
    AbnerielAbneriel Posts: 109
    Must have been to around 200 shows in my life

Never wore earplugs

Never have problems...

My ears are ok !

Maybe if your ears are fragile, you should wear them.
    If not, it's not necessary at all...
    what? ;)
    www.myspace.com/abneriel
  • Options
    wear them. theres a reason why the band/security, everyone who works there wears them. Go to your local drugstore and get a pair. They work fine. They actually improv the sound/help remove some of the distortion. Hearing is something you dont wanna fuck around with, in my opinion anyway
    ************EVENFLOW PSYCHO#41************

http://www.powdermag.com/features/news/jackson-hole-tram/index.html

Make sure you pay a visit to the Tram before it goes......
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    no ear plugs, it's rock & roll!
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    wear earplugs, always! its better for your ears and it makes shows, especially arena shows, sound a lot better. when everyone around you is puzzled by what eddie just said, youll be able to hear it clearly.

as far as damage to your ears, you might think its not affecting them now, but down the road, you might regret not wearing them.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    I have noticed my hearing is not as good in my right as it is my left. Wonder why? Cause I answer the phone with my right ear??

It is not like going blind and trying to replace an eye;
    they do make hearing-aids.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Last night I started with them (Etymotic ones for £10, don't do foam ones, they're really crap)., but it was boosting a bit too much the bass (though I sure could hear Jeff a lot better), so I started taking them off, but back on because it was last, but eventually taking one of, then eventually both.

But I have to say that I could hear Ed better with them than without..at the front it's pretty hard to hear Ed sings (same at the Astoria so I assume it's just the fact there's no speaker for him upfront), especially with everyone around belting it out.

I'll wear them at Reading...probably will try again, or at least have them on the first part (no point in damaging my hearing for someone else ;)), and keep them or not dependig on the sound level/position (like right in front of side sepakers..)
  • Options
    CazpjCazpj Posts: 58
    I wear them at every gig I go to or play at... Except Pearl Jam. But that's because if you sing along wearing earplugs you hear your own voice really loudly.

So your alright for the odd gig without, but generally around loud music you should wear them.

Just to give an idea of how easily you can sustain hearing trouble, you can listen to a snare drum being played at a normal level for about a minute before it starts causing permanent damage to your ears. When a full band starts up there is no safe time.

So generally it's well worth it! :0)
    4/20/06 Astoria
    8/29/06 Arnhem
    9/11/06 Paris
    6/18/07 London
  • Options
    I typically wear them during the opening act...

I've had to start wearing them during main sets as well... strings of concerts can do some serious damage.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    huh? what?

ear plugs. don't go to a show without them. if you don't need them, fine.

otherwise,

huh? what?
  • Options
    earplugs are for fags. lol....just kidding. I think they've actually turned down the sound at shows in the last 15 years or so.....there was a point in the late 80's/early 90's that the volume level bordered on ridiculous and earplugs would have been welcome.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I wear earplugs at every show I go to. I have too though because I have a bilateral high frequency hearing loss in both ears. A high frequency hearing loss, as I understand it means that I cannot hear certain frequencies and the audiologist indicated that the drums and seeing loud shows without earplugs will damage my hearing worse. I forgot my earplugs at Peter Frampton and Styx and my ears were ringing afterr words. I am a strong supporter of ear plugs and protecting my hearing as best I can, but I know it will probably worsen with age. As already mentioned, the show sounds better with earplugs. The drums, bass, and vocals are clearer. It's up to you honestly if you want to take them, but it is probably safer to always were earplugs. I even bring extras for my friends. In regads to how my high frequency hearing loss occured, it was from listening to the walkman when I was little, shows with my parents, and probably my cousin and friends playing drums and such in the garage. I even wear earplugs when I play my bass.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    I were earplugs at every show I go to. I have too though because I have a bilateral high frequency hearing loss in both ears. I high frequency hearing loss, as I understand it means that I cannot hear certain frequencies and the audiologist indicated that the drums and seeing loud shows without earplugs will damage my hearing worse. I forgot my earplugs at Peter Frampton and Styx and my ears were ringing afterr words. I am a strong supporter of ear plugs and protecting my hearing as best I can, but I know it will probably worsen with age. As already mentioned, the show sounds better with earplugs. The drums, bass, and vocals are clearer. It's up to you honestly if you want to take them, but it is probably safer to always were earplugs. I even bring extras for my friends.

The real crime isn't that you are doing damage to your hearing.....the real crime is that you admitted you were at the Peter Frampton/Styx show.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Sometimes I wear them for the first band....especially Sleater Kinny. I tried wearing them for Pearl Jam....I don't like what it does to the sound. If you are seeing them several nights in a row....and up front....it's a good idea, my hearing has been shot for days afterwards.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    The real crime isn't that you are doing damage to your hearing.....the real crime is that you admitted you were at the Peter Frampton/Styx show.

LMAO!! Peter Frampton was great live (that is who we went to see), and he was doing a co headlining show with Styx and America opened the show. I enjoy Peter Frampton, and you'd be suprised how good he is live... I hope to see him do a headlining show. Styx was LOUD (Suprisingly, and very obnoxious) we left Styx's set after 8 songs. They do this loophole thing (put like 10 AOR songs to gether in a melody format and it just killed the show for me. That is where they slipped Mr. Roboto in sequence, and everyone of us looked at each other booed and or groaned. It was hilarious. Tommy shaw told us we weren't fired up enough, and made us all sing deep in the heart of Texas accapella and I knew the styx set was dead in the water. We stayed to watch come sail away and when they had all this confetti rain all over the audience and stage... my friend and Iwere like um.... let's go. The tickets were free, so I figured what the fuck, and Peter Frampton is now one of my fave live acts.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    Would never wear earplugs for Pearl Jam.

However, I did blow an eardrum in the mid 70's at a Mountain concert.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I didn't wear them so much in the 2003 or 2004 tour, but 2005 and 2006 I did, and I didn't years ago. In 2005 and 2006 I saw a lot of shows in a short time - between May 9th and June 24 06, I saw PJ 8x, NIN 2x and Springsteen 1x. Some of the shows were 2 nights back to back. I have a little tinnitus from a cumulative effect of work, and shows, so I always wear earplugs. I'll pull them out of the ear just a little if it seems too quiet, but I recommend them. You don't get back damaged hearing. Even the band wears hearing protection now, and I read somewhere that a couple of the band members have damage.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,772
    go to guitar center and buy some quality ear plugs
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    SPALMA wrote:
    Would never wear earplugs for Pearl Jam.

However, I did blow an eardrum in the mid 70's at a Mountain concert.
    i would never wear earplugs to any concert i go to.now thats a cool concert story,mountain fucking rules
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    i agree that its ROCKNROLL and i would never wear earplugs to a pearl jam show. seriously its not THAT loud. and for the record, i would go to an america/styx/peter frampton concert no questions asked. some people just dont want to have any fun with their rock....hmph!
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    I've been to so many concerts by so many loud bands, that my eardrums are calloused.
  • Options
    CanadianEHCanadianEH Posts: 134
    That ringing in your ears for the next two days is part of the concert experience.
    Vancouver 07/19/98 Vancouver 05/30/03
    Portland 11/02/00 Vancouver 09/02/05
    Boise 11/03/00 Gorge 1 07/22/06
    Seattle 1 11/05/00 Gorge 2 07/23/06
    Seattle 2 11/06/00 Vancouver 09/25/09
  • Options
    HoonHoon Posts: 175
    I'm sure some people are more susceptible to damage to others.

Anyone know if P.J. does anything different with their sound now-a-days to protect us? (not that it is a huge problem) Since they are always so conscious about these things? ?Meow?

I was suprised my ears didn't ring after the Gorge Shows at all.

I've been to some mud-boggen / tractor pulls and that is pretty nuts. I didn't cover my ears at the beginning and was overcome by the sound and almost fell down some steps.....it brought me to my knees!
    If you keep yourself as the final arbiter you will be less susceptible to infection from cultural illusion.
  • Options
    That ringing in your ears for the next two days is part of the concert experience.

Until the time it never leaves.

I now wear plugs to every show, even PJ, as for the past 4 years have had that ringing. Granted I go to a lot of shows but I never tire of warning people about it.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,894
    I will never wear earplugs since I feel they kill the sound bigtime. However for some people they just cant take how loud the music is. I personally like waking up the next morning with a buzzing in my ears.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    pepepepe Posts: 30
    This was supposed to be a poll-like opening for conversation on a pretty important subject and I think it turned out to be a quite succesful one. Thanks for everybody for your opinions.

I don't agree. Maybe you should check out that DJ movie called It's all gone Pete Tong. It's hilarious and it could even be an eye(ear)opener for somebody:
    http://www.itsallgonepetetong.com/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388139/

Was it Manowar that was playing it 'the loudest in the world'... How rock is that? Pretty rock.
    Prague 22.09.2006...