Options

Earplugs or au natúrel?

2»

Comments

• Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    haecceity wrote:
    Until the time it never leaves.

I now wear plugs to every show, even PJ, as for the past 4 years have had that ringing. Granted I go to a lot of shows but I never tire of warning people about it.

EXACTLY....I think I have gotten some minor tenitus by combination of playing in a band, listening to my ipod constantly, and a few very loud shows last winter (NIN, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Cult)....so, from now on I will be wearing ear plugs to certains hows. I got away without them at Dave Matthews, but I will have them for Red Hot Chili Peppers. I think Ill probably wear earplugs for most shows but not for Pearl Jam shows lol.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I've started getting a mild tenitus in the last couple of weeks..it just suddenly started...only really noticeable at night or when it's very quiet...but annoying all the same..

so despite the fact it's a bit annoying, I'll make an effort to wear the earplugs..don't want it to get worse..

The quality of the plugs is a big difference though.
    Basic foam ones distort the sound too much..
    there's custom ones...but they're VERY expensive.

the ones I got are cheap but not too bad
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I've had tinnitus for 7 years so I was wearing plugs in Dublin called musicsafe (about £12) it actually makes the sound clearer (I could hear everything Ed said when he was talking which I know some around me couldn't) and means that if they get feedback etc it doesn't effect you as much. It's up to you but I wouldn't wish anyone to end up with tinnitus.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    My hearing is pretty dodgy and i blame it on all the shows i've been to over the years... for some reason i always end up beside the speakers! I didnt have any at Pearl Jam and the speakers were right beside me and i was getting worried...but once they started playing and i got into it, i forgot all about the fact that i could be doing myself some serious damage.
    Becoming a Star will become your Doom.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    as someone mentioned, multiple shows right on top of each other, earplugs are a great idea...especially if you are close. i went to many shows in a row during the canadian show, quite luckily had some pretty sweet seats, and i had ringing in my ears for days. yikes. so now, i always BRING earplugs, in fact i always have a pair in my purse.....and i see/hear if it's necessary or not. always good to be prepared.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    pepe wrote:
    This was supposed to be a poll-like opening for conversation on a pretty important subject and I think it turned out to be a quite succesful one. Thanks for everybody for your opinions.

I don't agree. Maybe you should check out that DJ movie called It's all gone Pete Tong. It's hilarious and it could even be an eye(ear)opener for somebody:
    http://www.itsallgonepetetong.com/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388139/

Was it Manowar that was playing it 'the loudest in the world'... How rock is that? Pretty rock.

I thought Spinal Tap held the designation as "Loudest Band in the World".
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I thought Spinal Tap held the designation as "Loudest Band in the World".

They're 'one louder'.... :D
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    They're 'one louder'.... :D
    hahahaha ... Classic :D:D

"You see, most blokes will be playing at 10. You’re on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven. One louder."

You don't know how loud a band will be until you get there, or (sometimes) where you'll be in relation to the speakers. So why not take plugs anyway .. then you have them to use if you feel it necessary. Nothing to stop you putting them in or taking them out during the show :)
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    BlancheBlanche Posts: 247
    Fifteen minutes before the show was to start at Bercy, an announcement comes on...

"Welcome to Bercy. Ear plugs are available at the entrance of the main hall, thanks to (our ear plug sponsor) if you wish to preserve your hearing."

As if everyone at the front of the stage was going to make a beeline for some ear plugs before My Morning Jacket came on...

By the way, my ears didn't ring at all after both shows in France.
    Something must have changed because I used to come home from shows with ringing in my ears that lasted until the next day.
  • Options
    I went to the back to back Showbox shows in 2002. I used to only `usually' wear plugs to shows, but didn't have them on me at the time... I was in the first couple rows in front of Mike, near the speaker. I now have permanent tinnitus. I can't hear people whisper, even when they're directly in my ear. Loud sounds now actually `hurt' my ears. I can't listen to music and hear the full range any more, and it's much harder to communicate in social events with background noise (parties).

Don't fuck with hearing loss- WEAR PLUGS!!!!!
    rock musik rockar röv.
  • Options
    BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    A good and dear friend of mine was diagnosed with Tinnitus and he said it nearly drove him to suicide..He developed it during the first Gulf War and always took care of his hearing. He has to sleep with so much "white noise" that he can't even hear the phone ringing in the morning. It's a constant hum in the ear and sometimes with constant ringing.

Please do take care of your hearing.
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    lannerslanners Posts: 458
    i took earplugs to the Halifax show and used them for the opening act and that was all. I found that from where i was sitting it was only beneficial during the SK set and that i was having a hard time hearing the band when PJ started...and i wanted to sing along and i can't stand hearing my own voice like you do when wearing ear plugs.
    i. am. mine.
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    I've had tinnitus for 7 years so I was wearing plugs in Dublin called musicsafe (about £12) it actually makes the sound clearer (I could hear everything Ed said when he was talking which I know some around me couldn't) and means that if they get feedback etc it doesn't effect you as much. It's up to you but I wouldn't wish anyone to end up with tinnitus.

I bought this kind of earplugs (but cheaper, it was 5€ a pair) in Paris. I bought them because of My Morning Jacket... and it's true the sound is much clearer, no reverb or any effect, it was great, you just enjoy the music. I admit I took them off for PJ, I couldn't hear me singing while wearing them :D (actually... this might be a good thing, I sing so bad)
  • Options
    Even 10 mintues at a Pearl Jam concert can cause damage to your ear drums. Its pretty scary actually, and I can tell you we're gonna have quite a few deaf PJ fans in another 10 years or so!

I went to 4 shows in a week last year, and after the first one I decided to buy some ear plugs. Unfortunately I only ended up wearing them for like half a show. The music actually did sound better...less distortion and much clearer. But like someone mentioned earlier, when you try to sing along it sounds like you're singing WAY loud. That really bothered me (especially since my voice sucks!), so I had to take them out...I just HAVE to sing along to PJ! Luckily I don't go to many rock shows these days, cause I really don't wanna go deaf!

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003