Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    rgambs said:
    I've been doing weights every second day. 
    I have not gotten big muscles at all. Still the same thin arms. Still struggling to complete my sets of bicep curls at the same weight. Still struggling to complete 10 reps of bench dumbbell presses at the same weight.

Why?

I am sore post workout, I have my protein shake immediately afterwards, I'm doing the program a personal trainer worked out for me.
    I believe I have put on muscle as my waistline is smaller as I can now fit into jeans I could not fit into for 2 years plus I can tighten my belt to the third last notch. With this waistline I am usually about 85kgs but I weight in at 91kgs. Or is it internal fat I still have which is making me think I have put on muscle?

Getting frustrated with my lack of progress. I want bigger arms dammit. 
    I just look toned now and have a V shape because my lats have grown.
    Was seriously thinking of giving up.

Arms are slow to grow, the best thing you can do to grow your arms right now is to grow your legs, believe it or not.
    Leg work drives increases in every kind of growth factor.  Squat as heavy as you can and then work your biceps immediately after.

Try to cultivate the attitude that Rome wasn't built in a day, and you are on the fitness train for life.  That's the only path to long term success.
    It's easy to get caught up on short term goals, and it can be very motivating to do so, but if you don't keep that "in it for life" mantra in the back of your head, you can easily be discouraged by a perceived (or real) lack of progress.

I didn't get bigger or stronger for most of the entire last half of last year.  Progress usually comes in bursts, one day you will just notice, boom, there it is.
    Yes. You have to be patient with it. You're not going to gain massive muscles in a few weeks. For example, a guy at my gym that is getting into the bodybuilding comps didn't really start to see muscle gains until about 6 months in. He wasn't ready to compete until a little after 2 years.

On a different note re biceps, be aware that genetics also plays a role with that muscle. Some people just cannot grow the peak (I am one of them), but can get a fuller development than the ones that have the noticeable peaks. TA, if you are just doing regular dumbbell curls, add in hammer curls as those will also build the brachialis and brachioradialis muscles. That will make it look like your biceps are bigger than they actually are. Plus, hammer curls will also work the forearms, which is usually a neglected muscle group.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    rgambs said:
    I have not gotten big muscles at all. Still the same thin arms. Still struggling to complete my sets of bicep curls at the same weight. Still struggling to complete 10 reps of bench dumbbell presses at the same weight.

Why?

I am sore post workout, I have my protein shake immediately afterwards, I'm doing the program a personal trainer worked out for me.
    I believe I have put on muscle as my waistline is smaller as I can now fit into jeans I could not fit into for 2 years plus I can tighten my belt to the third last notch. With this waistline I am usually about 85kgs but I weight in at 91kgs. Or is it internal fat I still have which is making me think I have put on muscle?

Arms are slow to grow, the best thing you can do to grow your arms right now is to grow your legs, believe it or not.
    Leg work drives increases in every kind of growth factor.  Squat as heavy as you can and then work your biceps immediately after.

Try to cultivate the attitude that Rome wasn't built in a day, and you are on the fitness train for life.  That's the only path to long term success.
    It's easy to get caught up on short term goals, and it can be very motivating to do so, but if you don't keep that "in it for life" mantra in the back of your head, you can easily be discouraged by a perceived (or real) lack of progress.

I didn't get bigger or stronger for most of the entire last half of last year.  Progress usually comes in bursts, one day you will just notice, boom, there it is.
    Thanks man.
    My friends and my physiotherapist say I have big quads. That is from cycling on my spin bike. If my legs were stick thin I'd worry about leg days. 
    Can I do squats with dumbbells?
    Forgot to add, on the days I do not do weights I cycle on the spin bike for 30 minutes at high intensity.
    Is it possible this is stunting my muscle growth as I am burning both fat and muscle for fuel?

Yes, you can do squats with dumbbells -- hold one in each hand, and squat. You also can do walking lunges with dumbbells, step-ups, goblet squats, sumo squats.

Eventually (I don't think you're quite there yet), you will need to decide on what your goal is: strength? bulk? weight loss? conditioning? This will influence your choice of volume vs. how much weight you are moving (so, do you need to find a gym where you can squat heavy for five reps, or are you fine with using what you have and going for higher reps?).

Cardio vs. lifting: I've seen a lot of lifters say that cardio is the devil. Before I moved, I went to a gym that was the main bodybuilding gym in the region; most people who went there used the cardio machines only when they were cutting weight for a competition. On the other hand, my legs were the envy of the other women in the gym -- and I was running 65 miles a week. So, is it more important to you to have the biggest muscles possible, or is it to look good, feel good, and be able to use your body to do things? I do NOT think that riding the bike is affecting arm growth, unless you are well and truly starving yourself.

My opinion, based solely on my experience and on what I've observed: do strength training AND cardio, if you're generally looking to "get in shape." Strength training builds muscle, which helps boost your metabolism (among other things). Cardio burns calories at a higher rate (and makes you feel less like punching people, LOL).
    Thank you.
    I want to bulk up and get stronger. I want the build of an Aussie Rules footballer.
    I've pretty much nearly reached my weight loss goal. A few more kgs to shed and I am happy.
    Maybe I will cut my bike time down from 30 minutes to 15-20 minutes?
    I am burning about 450 calories each bike session.
    I need to do cardio as my bad cholesterol level is still too high for my age.
    Before I started working out my bad cholesterol was 6.9 and my recent blood test showed it dropped to 6.0 (if I remember I think the GP said it needs to be at 4.5?)
    Also, before I started working out I had fatty liver which is now no longer the case.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    rgambs said:

Why?

Yes. You have to be patient with it. You're not going to gain massive muscles in a few weeks. For example, a guy at my gym that is getting into the bodybuilding comps didn't really start to see muscle gains until about 6 months in. He wasn't ready to compete until a little after 2 years.

On a different note re biceps, be aware that genetics also plays a role with that muscle. Some people just cannot grow the peak (I am one of them), but can get a fuller development than the ones that have the noticeable peaks. TA, if you are just doing regular dumbbell curls, add in hammer curls as those will also build the brachialis and brachioradialis muscles. That will make it look like your biceps are bigger than they actually are. Plus, hammer curls will also work the forearms, which is usually a neglected muscle group.
    My friend told me it takes months to start seeing bulk.
    Thank you for your help. I'll definitely add hammer curls to my program!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,212

Before I started working out my bad cholesterol was 6.9 and my recent blood test showed it dropped to 6.0 (if I remember I think the GP said it needs to be at 4.5?)
    Also, before I started working out I had fatty liver which is now no longer the case.

Dude, those are the important stats!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

Yep. I came close to being put on cholesterol lowering medication but my GP said they have side effects.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244
    I'm running more, and feeling good after it. I'm trying to lose weight, but I guess I need a more dramatic lifestyle change as it is not coming off easy. The future looks bright  :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Yesterday during my walk/run exercise, when I ran I found something to live for. For me I was able to imagine a future when that feeling could last a mile or many miles. That feeling was a great gift. I don't know if it was a runners high or a feeling that everything is working in alignment.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518

Yep. I came close to being put on cholesterol lowering medication but my GP said they have side effects.

The side effects vary from person to person depending on genetics, which statins are prescribed, and dosage.
    I can take as much as is given with no side effects.
    However I have not taken  any cholesterol meds in years and just manage my numbers with good clean diet and exercise.

The side effects vary from person to person depending on genetics, which statins are prescribed, and dosage.
    However I have not taken  any cholesterol meds in years and just manage my numbers with good clean diet and exercise.
    I was erroneously put on a statin because I had a stroke (it was a result of a congenital heart defect and not cholesterol). I hated it. I kept asking my cardiologists if I really needed to go on them. As most neurologists are not versed in CHD, but my cardiologists didn't want to change another doctor's prescription, I was on that awful stuff for two years. My responses to different foods surprised me. I hated it. 
    Ms. Haiku said:

I was erroneously put on a statin because I had a stroke (it was a result of a congenital heart defect and not cholesterol). I hated it. I kept asking my cardiologists if I really needed to go on them. As most neurologists are not versed in CHD, but my cardiologists didn't want to change another doctor's prescription, I was on that awful stuff for two years. My responses to different foods surprised me. I hated it. 
    I forgot that it did also effect my immune system in that I was getting sick every couple of months.
    Not anymore
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I'm running more, and feeling good after it. I'm trying to lose weight, but I guess I need a more dramatic lifestyle change as it is not coming off easy. The future looks bright  :)

I'm glad to hear that running is feeling good!

Being more active always is a good thing, but running isn't the best way to lose weight. The first year I tracked my miles, I was very disappointed to find that I had run 1500 miles and had lost exactly TWO pounds.

So, to lose weight:

1) Eat less. I found that it helped me a lot to keep a food diary for a while and really track what I was eating. I use the food journal in My Fitness Pal, but I am sure there are other apps that do the trick. One thing I really like about the MFP food tracker is that it has a massive database of foods, so if you grab a sandwich at Starbucks for lunch, you can type in the sandwich name and it will pop up and all of the nutritional info is entered for you automatically. You also can see how balanced your diet is -- are you getting enough protein, too much sugar, etc? -- which leads me to

1a) I found that reworking my diet to eat more protein (instead of the starches that used to make up most of my diet) left me feeling better and having fewer cravings to kee eating. Your mileage may vary, of course.

2) Boost your metabolism. You do that by lifting weights and building muscle. You will not get bulky (unless you like to take testosterone supplements or something). Muscle burns calories all the time, whereas fat just sits there. Now, keep in mind that your weight might not change all that much, but your size will. I've been lifting heavy for two years; I'm a size two. After about six months of lifting heavy and running a lot (60+ miles/week), I lost four pounds. That doesn't sound much different than what I described up above -- but I also dropped a full dress size. I looked very different, even though the number on the scale hardly changed at all.

-- Also, lifting makes you feel strong, which is awesome in its own right. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    I'm staying busy and eagerly awaiting the arrival of spring. I've cut back my mileage from 65/week to 50 or so. That was due largely to our move, but it ended up being a longer-term change once I realized that not being utterly exhausted from my runs meant that I could make better gains in my lifting.

So, the lifting is going well! I've benched 100# a few times and I'm going to try to bench my body weight. I've had solid PRs for deadlift and squats (closing in on 200# there!), I can do a full set (8 reps) of both unassisted dips and chin-ups, and a few (three? LOL) proper pull-ups. And I really, really look forward to lifting each day and having a good workout.

And I keep getting faster. I won my age group at a few races and I absolutely crushed my long run the other day. That shouldn't be happening at my age, but I can't complain. On the down side, my IT band continues to be alarmingly tight, so bodywork is a big part of every day (foam rolling, for me, lasts close to half an hour, and that's just to keep things from getting worse).

I'm trying to decide what else to do -- incorporate some plyometrics? try dance? learn to swim? -- but I have to accept (and maybe even celebrate) the fact that I'm in a pretty good place right now.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    I'm staying busy and eagerly awaiting the arrival of spring. I've cut back my mileage from 65/week to 50 or so. That was due largely to our move, but it ended up being a longer-term change once I realized that not being utterly exhausted from my runs meant that I could make better gains in my lifting.

So, the lifting is going well! I've benched 100# a few times and I'm going to try to bench my body weight. I've had solid PRs for deadlift and squats (closing in on 200# there!), I can do a full set (8 reps) of both unassisted dips and chin-ups, and a few (three? LOL) proper pull-ups. And I really, really look forward to lifting each day and having a good workout.

And I keep getting faster. I won my age group at a few races and I absolutely crushed my long run the other day. That shouldn't be happening at my age, but I can't complain. On the down side, my IT band continues to be alarmingly tight, so bodywork is a big part of every day (foam rolling, for me, lasts close to half an hour, and that's just to keep things from getting worse).

I'm trying to decide what else to do -- incorporate some plyometrics? try dance? learn to swim? -- but I have to accept (and maybe even celebrate) the fact that I'm in a pretty good place right now.
    Have you considered rock climbing? ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Do it!!!

Watch Free Solo or Dawn Wall and then go buy a kit at REI!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I'm pushing for visible and for the first time in my life.
    It's going ok.  I don't feel like I'm losing muscle, but I'm not losing fat quickly either.  

I run 3 miles in 25 minutes and then I lift hard for an HR and 20 minutes 6 days a week.  Not eating junk food is hard.  When you eat whole foods and high protein, you can be full and nourished all the waking hours...but never actually feel that way because you just want chips and cake and pizza and chocolate.
    Sucks.
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I'm running more, and feeling good after it. I'm trying to lose weight, but I guess I need a more dramatic lifestyle change as it is not coming off easy. The future looks bright  
    Thank you, curmudgeoness. I'm going to focus on running because I love it.

I've used food tracker apps. They are useful until I stop using them.

Weight lifting is contraindicated because of my heart.

I did try it once, indoors. We've since moved, and I don't know if there are local facilities. I'm pretty sure this area is short on outdoor climbing features (as well as trail running options). Indoors, I liked okay. Outdoors -- well, I'd have to overcome my fear of falling. :-(
    rgambs said:

Do it!!!

Kit?
    I don't  need no stinking kit
    Okay maybe shoes and chalk...

National Geographic: Climber Jim Reynolds achieves epic free solo and descent of Fitz Roy in Patagonia.. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/03/climber-jim-reynolds-free-solos-fitz-roy
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    rgambs said:

Do it!!!

Kit?
    I don't  need no stinking kit
    Okay maybe shoes and chalk...

National Geographic: Climber Jim Reynolds achieves epic free solo and descent of Fitz Roy in Patagonia.. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/2019/03/climber-jim-reynolds-free-solos-fitz-roy
    Yeah I usually just use my bare feet and hands. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    rgambs said:

Do it!!!

Finally saw "Free Solo"  Wow!  Now am waiting for "Dawn Wall" to show up on Netflix- can't wait!

I'm heading down to R.E.I. to take a second look at some hiking shoes and day packs.  Time to start putting in some more trail miles.  And we're heading down to Yosemite for a  long day trip in a little over a week.  I almost fell off a cliff there once and I wasn't even intentionally rock climbing.  No, just a nice safe hike this time around.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited May 2019
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

Do it!!!

Finally saw "Free Solo"  Wow!  Now am waiting for "Dawn Wall" to show up on Netflix- can't wait!

I'm heading down to R.E.I. to take a second look at some hiking shoes and day packs.  Time to start putting in some more trail miles.  And we're heading down to Yosemite for a  long day trip in a little over a week.  I almost fell off a cliff there once and I wasn't even intentionally rock climbing.  No, just a nice safe hike this time around.
    There's nothing more Muirish than almost falling off a cliff in Yosemite!  Trail miles are the very best form of exercise and expression of fitness.  Period.
    If you haven't been in a long time, just know that crowds have increased exponentially over the last decade and parking gets tight on the weekend even this time of year.
    Waterfalls are top-notch right now.
    I really can't wait to come out in early July.  I expect the Upper Mariposa Grove to be far and away the most spiritual place I've yet been.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    edited May 2019
    I'm down 17 lbs since March 1, I haven't had fast food since February, and I even gave up diet soda.  Daily chocolate will need to be pried from my cold dead hands.
    In the week before Easter my upper abdominals became visible for the first time in my life and the contrast is getting clearer. 
    :
    Post edited by rgambs on
    pretty sure this is as good as it's ever going to get lol
    Not where I'd like to be, but sure better than I was.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    Good job putting in that work rgambs!

I wish I had the dedication to my nutrition that I have with my workouts. All in all, I'm ok with being strong, but doughy lol.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I'm still here! Hope everyone is doing well! Summers here! I am still working at the mid section. Not much progress but I am going to enjoy my summer - as soon as it stops raining in MI! Very busy at work - promotion last Oct and I'm exhausted haha.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    anyone use a Garmin watch/Garmin connect?
    rgambs said:
    pretty sure this is as good as it's ever going to get lol
    Not where I'd like to be, but sure better than I was.
    Looking strong, rgambs!
    I had a routine cardiology stress test. No matter how hard I run, my heart doesn't go above 90ish beats per minute. People with typical hearts at my age would hit 130. No wonder I stop all the time. My heart is in a good place, so this doesn't worry anyone, but running a strong six miles non-stop most likely won't happen. I can still run, and get the excellent feeling and feel great afterward,  but my inner Wilma Rudolph who wanted to show herself will need to turn into another goal. 

Life is what it is.

I'll start running again next week. The only goal is to enjoy myself. :)
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    MayDay10 said:
    anyone use a Garmin watch/Garmin connect?
    @MayDay10 I use a Garmin Forerunner 235 and have it linked to Garmin Connect. It's a great watch, and Garmin Connect is a really nice app. 
    Does anyone know how many minutes of high intensity workout per day is required for heart health?
    The media here keep saying to aim for 30 minutes of excercise per day for heart health, but I think this is for moderate intensity.
    I'm averaging about 150bpm on my spin bike and do this for 30 minutes. Not sure if doing it for 15-20 minutes per day is adequate?