Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Because I had houseguests from December 15 through January 7, and because Christmas and all that entails, I didn’t get to climb for three and a half weeks. I got back to the climbing gym last Tuesday - ugh. I sucked. It’s always the way when I first get back. However, I’ve climbed four times since then and it’s coming back. I did notice less shoulder and wrist pain while I was off; you’re right, curmudgeoness - getting old sucks. 

Luckily I was able to keep cycling, since I didn’t have many days off work and I commute by bike. I didn’t totally turn into a puddle of weakness. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Because I had houseguests from December 15 through January 7, and because Christmas and all that entails, I didn’t get to climb for three and a half weeks. I got back to the climbing gym last Tuesday - ugh. I sucked. It’s always the way when I first get back. However, I’ve climbed four times since then and it’s coming back. I did notice less shoulder and wrist pain while I was off; you’re right, curmudgeoness - getting old sucks. 

Luckily I was able to keep cycling, since I didn’t have many days off work and I commute by bike. I didn’t totally turn into a puddle of weakness. 
    Shit, 3 weeks of house guests??  That's some serious endurance exercise lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

Shit, 3 weeks of house guests??  That's some serious endurance exercise lol
    Different guests, both parties very welcome ;)
    Guess what? 

This evening I fell while bouldering and either badly sprained or maybe broke my left ankle. 

Looks like I’m not climbing for a while. Or cycling. Or walking. 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    Guess what? 

This evening I fell while bouldering and either badly sprained or maybe broke my left ankle. 

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened. I hope you heal quickly.
    Aaaaand it’s broken. 
    Aaaaand it’s broken. 
    Bummer!  Really sorry to hear that.
    Maybe there's a silver lining??  Sometimes breaks heal faster than soft tissue damage because the rehab is taken more seriously and there's less exacerbation.
    I know, that's weak sauce.
    Bummer, hang in there dude.
    rgambs said:
    Aaaaand it’s broken. 
    Maybe there's a silver lining??  Sometimes breaks heal faster than soft tissue damage because the rehab is taken more seriously and there's less exacerbation.
    I’m rockin’ the air boot now. And trying to find silver linings ;)

Am due to fly out tomorrow at 6:30am to the east coast. Managing a suitcase and crutches should be a blast. 
    It’s just the typical snap of the head of the fibula. The ankle joint is stable, thank FSM. I’m sure it will heal well and be functional again in a few weeks. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    It’s just the typical snap of the head of the fibula. The ankle joint is stable, thank FSM. I’m sure it will heal well and be functional again in a few weeks. 
    Excuse me for my ignorance as I live in a flat state but what exactly is bouldering according to my friends that actually live near mountains and rocks?  I have an image in my head but I think I could be wrong.  Are you hooked in when you climb?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Excuse me for my ignorance as I live in a flat state but what exactly is bouldering according to my friends that actually live near mountains and rocks?  I have an image in my head but I think I could be wrong.  Are you hooked in when you climb?
    There are several different flavours of rock climbing ;)

You can climb with a harness attached to a rope that your belay partner has the other end of. With ropes, you can either do top rope climbing, where the rope attaches to your harness, goes up and through a pulley (or similar) and then comes down and through a belay device that is attached to your partner, or you can do lead climbing, where you take the rope up with you as you climb and hook it in to a series of anchor points that are several metres apart. Obviously, with this method you can fall further if you fall, but assuming the anchors hold your belay partner catches you. 

Alternately, you can boulder, where you don’t have a harness or rope. If you slip, nothing catches you and you just fall (as I have demonstrated). Because of this, they make the top hold of the route at around a 4 metre maximum height. Bouldering gives a lot more flexibility to climb routes that might have a big horizontal component, or along the roof of a tunnel, for instance; things you couldn’t do with a rope on you. 

I was climbing in a climbing gym but you can do all of this outdoors. Most ropes climbing outdoors is lead climbing, though. 
    mcgruff10 said:

You can climb with a harness attached to a rope that your belay partner has the other end of. With ropes, you can either do top rope climbing, where the rope attaches to your harness, goes up and through a pulley (or similar) and then comes down and through a belay device that is attached to your partner, or you can do lead climbing, where you take the rope up with you as you climb and hook it in to a series of anchor points that are several metres apart. Obviously, with this method you can fall further if you fall, but assuming the anchors hold your belay partner catches you. 

Alternately, you can boulder, where you don’t have a harness or rope. If you slip, nothing catches you and you just fall (as I have demonstrated). Because of this, they make the top hold of the route at around a 4 metre maximum height. Bouldering gives a lot more flexibility to climb routes that might have a big horizontal component, or along the roof of a tunnel, for instance; things you couldn’t do with a rope on you. 

I was climbing in a climbing gym but you can do all of this outdoors. Most ropes climbing outdoors is lead climbing, though. 
    Ok I kind of had it right in my head lol. So bouldering you are pretty much free style, no ropes. I used to “climb” a lot of mountains in the northeast but nothing technically. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ok I kind of had it right in my head lol. So bouldering you are pretty much free style, no ropes. I used to “climb” a lot of mountains in the northeast but nothing technically. 
    Yes, no ropes. Bouldering is a ton of fun, except in times like this :lol: 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Man I wish I had rocks around here!!  That sounds fun as hell.  

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Did you miss the crashpad or did you just come down awkwardly?
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Did you miss the crashpad or did you just come down awkwardly?
    Awkwardly is an understatement. 
  • sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140
    rgambs said:
    Aaaaand it’s broken. 

Am due to fly out tomorrow at 6:30am to the east coast. Managing a suitcase and crutches should be a blast. 
    You should be able to jump the line as a "person who requires additional time for boarding".   Milk that situation, dude!
    Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
    sp1984 said:
    rgambs said:
    Aaaaand it’s broken. 

You should be able to jump the line as a "person who requires additional time for boarding".   Milk that situation, dude!
    The airline was really helpful with wheelchairs, and I got to skip the line for security and customs. It was manageable, though tiring. 
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244
    Guess what? 

Eek! I hope your ankle feels better.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    edited January 2019
    So I'm down about 10 pounds since Thanksgiving when I decided to get back on the horse. Goal is to drop about 35 total. Short term goal would be to lose another 10 by mid March when we go on vacay. It's amazing what just 10 pounds can do for you though. I feel a bit more limber and, mentally, it's so encouraging to see that drop that losing more doesn't seem as impossible as it does when you first start out. 

It's also amazing to see how much weaker I am after not lifting much at all over the last 3-4 years! All the time I used to devote to working out was put towards learning and becoming a... still pretty shitty golfer! Whole body is sore right now. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Good job all!! Thanks for that link curm! Interesting. I have not gained any weight thru the holiday season but I have not lost either. Have not been tracking my macros so I know I've gone over all of them. Been busy. Started swim lessons with the kids but with MI winter weather 2 sessions have ready been cancelled. Looking forward to spring and getting outdoors more. I've only completed 2 at home workouts hoping to increase that. still chipping away at that belly fat. Teenage drama and defiance may just be the death of me.

Happy new year all!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    So I'm down about 10 pounds since Thanksgiving when I decided to get back on the horse. Goal is to drop about 35 total. Short term goal would be to lose another 10 by mid March when we go on vacay. It's amazing what just 10 pounds can do for you though. I feel a bit more limber and, mentally, it's so encouraging to see that drop that losing more doesn't seem as impossible as it does when you first start out. 

It's also amazing to see how much weaker I am after not lifting much at all over the last 3-4 years! All the time I used to devote to working out was put towards learning and becoming a... still pretty shitty golfer! Whole body is sore right now. 
    YOU ARE down ten pounds. 

Congrats :)
    Good work Juggles!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I've been doing weights every second day. 
    I have not gotten big muscles at all. Still the same thin arms. Still struggling to complete my sets of bicep curls at the same weight. Still struggling to complete 10 reps of bench dumbbell presses at the same weight.

Why?

I am sore post workout, I have my protein shake immediately afterwards, I'm doing the program a personal trainer worked out for me.
    I believe I have put on muscle as my waistline is smaller as I can now fit into jeans I could not fit into for 2 years plus I can tighten my belt to the third last notch. With this waistline I am usually about 85kgs but I weight in at 91kgs. Or is it internal fat I still have which is making me think I have put on muscle?

Getting frustrated with my lack of progress. I want bigger arms dammit. 
    I just look toned now and have a V shape because my lats have grown.
    Was seriously thinking of giving up.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I have not gotten big muscles at all. Still the same thin arms. Still struggling to complete my sets of bicep curls at the same weight. Still struggling to complete 10 reps of bench dumbbell presses at the same weight.

Why?

I am sore post workout, I have my protein shake immediately afterwards, I'm doing the program a personal trainer worked out for me.
    I believe I have put on muscle as my waistline is smaller as I can now fit into jeans I could not fit into for 2 years plus I can tighten my belt to the third last notch. With this waistline I am usually about 85kgs but I weight in at 91kgs. Or is it internal fat I still have which is making me think I have put on muscle?

Arms are slow to grow, the best thing you can do to grow your arms right now is to grow your legs, believe it or not.
    Leg work drives increases in every kind of growth factor.  Squat as heavy as you can and then work your biceps immediately after.

Try to cultivate the attitude that Rome wasn't built in a day, and you are on the fitness train for life.  That's the only path to long term success.
    It's easy to get caught up on short term goals, and it can be very motivating to do so, but if you don't keep that "in it for life" mantra in the back of your head, you can easily be discouraged by a perceived (or real) lack of progress.

I didn't get bigger or stronger for most of the entire last half of last year.  Progress usually comes in bursts, one day you will just notice, boom, there it is.
    edited January 2019
    rgambs said:

Why?

Arms are slow to grow, the best thing you can do to grow your arms right now is to grow your legs, believe it or not.
    Leg work drives increases in every kind of growth factor.  Squat as heavy as you can and then work your biceps immediately after.

Try to cultivate the attitude that Rome wasn't built in a day, and you are on the fitness train for life.  That's the only path to long term success.
    It's easy to get caught up on short term goals, and it can be very motivating to do so, but if you don't keep that "in it for life" mantra in the back of your head, you can easily be discouraged by a perceived (or real) lack of progress.

I didn't get bigger or stronger for most of the entire last half of last year.  Progress usually comes in bursts, one day you will just notice, boom, there it is.
    Thanks man.
    My friends and my physiotherapist say I have big quads. That is from cycling on my spin bike. If my legs were stick thin I'd worry about leg days. 
    Can I do squats with dumbbells?
    Forgot to add, on the days I do not do weights I cycle on the spin bike for 30 minutes at high intensity.
    Is it possible this is stunting my muscle growth as I am burning both fat and muscle for fuel?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Wish I took a photo before I began weights about 2 months ago. Would be interested to see the difference.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,212

Sorry to hear that! I hope you have a quick recovery.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    rgambs said:

Why?

Thanks man.
    My friends and my physiotherapist say I have big quads. That is from cycling on my spin bike. If my legs were stick thin I'd worry about leg days. 
    Can I do squats with dumbbells?
    Forgot to add, on the days I do not do weights I cycle on the spin bike for 30 minutes at high intensity.
    Is it possible this is stunting my muscle growth as I am burning both fat and muscle for fuel?

Yes, you can do squats with dumbbells -- hold one in each hand, and squat. You also can do walking lunges with dumbbells, step-ups, goblet squats, sumo squats.

Eventually (I don't think you're quite there yet), you will need to decide on what your goal is: strength? bulk? weight loss? conditioning? This will influence your choice of volume vs. how much weight you are moving (so, do you need to find a gym where you can squat heavy for five reps, or are you fine with using what you have and going for higher reps?).

Cardio vs. lifting: I've seen a lot of lifters say that cardio is the devil. Before I moved, I went to a gym that was the main bodybuilding gym in the region; most people who went there used the cardio machines only when they were cutting weight for a competition. On the other hand, my legs were the envy of the other women in the gym -- and I was running 65 miles a week. So, is it more important to you to have the biggest muscles possible, or is it to look good, feel good, and be able to use your body to do things? I do NOT think that riding the bike is affecting arm growth, unless you are well and truly starving yourself.

My opinion, based solely on my experience and on what I've observed: do strength training AND cardio, if you're generally looking to "get in shape." Strength training builds muscle, which helps boost your metabolism (among other things). Cardio burns calories at a higher rate (and makes you feel less like punching people, LOL).
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Things are going pretty well here, despite the winter weather. I'm managing to get in some good runs when weather allows (stuck on bike or treadmill the rest of the time). I've been surprised by recent lifting gains, jumping more than twenty percent in just two weeks. I'm squatting 175# confidently (and more with less confidence, LOL), hoping to bench 100# this week. Still trying to decide how I want to branch out from here, but pleased with the small progress I'm making.