Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    ^ Wow, I'm sorry you are going through this and I wish you a full and speedy recovery!  I'm sure this was shocking and I hope they can pinpoint exactly why this happened.

My 29-year-old healthy, marathon running stepbrother had a stroke around two months ago. His case puzzled the local physicians and he was sent to a physician at Duke Medical to try to determine the cause. I don't know all of the details, but they are now linking the fact that he had shingles about four months ago to his stroke...

Hang in there, take care and lots of positive vibes heading your way :)
    Dang! And I thought 40 was too young for this stuff. 29 is way too young! Hopefully he is doing better now as well.  
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    rgambs said:
    Either of you guys ever just use a double wrap around a non-locking 'biner??
    AHH, the good old days lol
    Twenty years ago, yes. These days I prefer not to risk death when I don't have to. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    rgambs said:
    Twenty years ago, yes. These days I prefer not to risk death when I don't have to. 
    Belay devices and belay partners are for wusses. 
    I just go Alex Honnold on all the walls
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Belay devices and belay partners are for wusses. 
    I just go Alex Honnold on all the walls
    Enjoy your exciting but brief career ;)
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Those grigris are slick, a little bit futsy, but slick.

Today was my 7th straight 4am wake-up and 2 hour workout so I treated myself to a small amount of TBell for lunch.
    I'm feeling fatigued even with a gut full of glut, so I may need to take a day off soon.  If my damn child would go to bed before 1030-11 I would be doing a little better.
    I've reached the addiction stage where I feel guilty if I take a day off, like it's a lost opportunity that can't be reclaimed.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    rgambs said:
    Those grigris are slick, a little bit futsy, but slick.

Today was my 7th straight 4am wake-up and 2 hour workout so I treated myself to a small amount of TBell for lunch.
    I'm feeling fatigued even with a gut full of glut, so I may need to take a day off soon.  If my damn child would go to bed before 1030-11 I would be doing a little better.
    I've reached the addiction stage where I feel guilty if I take a day off, like it's a lost opportunity that can't be reclaimed.
    Gambs. I was reading your body may use your muscle for energy if you don't let them recover. That might not be the case yet. But you risk injury too! You wouldn't wanna..... ya know....pull anything.... :giggle:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Yeah it's a definite possibility.
    I usually get about 60 grams of protein a day to combat it, and I'm not much of an injury prone guy.
    I don't lift heavy because it's not necessary and it increases injury, and I don't do any of the silly ranges of motion that are so popular nowadays.
    I focus on time under tension with my lifting, which is practically injury free, and I don't sprint or run for excessive lengths of time.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Just got done with an intense chest and shoulder workout (plus some squats, for good measure). Feeling good and endorphins are flowing. Love the post workout high.

Did a weight and body fat check and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't able to workout regularly for a couple months over the summer and I know I gained probably 10 pound or more. After 2 months of hitting the gym hard and getting the diet in check, looks like I'm getting back to where I need to be.
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ Wow, I'm sorry you are going through this and I wish you a full and speedy recovery!  I'm sure this was shocking and I hope they can pinpoint exactly why this happened.

My 29-year-old healthy, marathon running stepbrother had a stroke around two months ago. His case puzzled the local physicians and he was sent to a physician at Duke Medical to try to determine the cause. I don't know all of the details, but they are now linking the fact that he had shingles about four months ago to his stroke...

Hang in there, take care and lots of positive vibes heading your way :)
    Dang! And I thought 40 was too young for this stuff. 29 is way too young! Hopefully he is doing better now as well.  
    Thank you, he is steadily improving. Not fast enough in his opinion, but I marvel at his progress. He has been working so hard and is now walking again with a cane. His arm is in a sling, but his physicians have told him they believe he will make a full recovery. His speech is still slightly impaired, yet you wouldn't notice unless you know him. Cognitive function 100%.

29, 40... too young for a stroke is exactly right!! His doc told him anyone 50 and younger is considered young to have a stroke. They said when it happens to someone in this age bracket they really concentrate on finding the cause of the stroke. 

Anyway, didn't mean to get off subject, I really do wish you the best in your recovery. I hope the tests have given you some answers and direction on your next step!!! And everyone keep up the good work. It inspires me to workout more and try to eat healthier every time I read this thread.
  • Options
    Nice job Mark! I was just telling Tash I've learned that whatever I choose to do I have to do that same routine for the rest of how ever long I choose. Maintanance is one thing. But for me someone who is looking to drop lbs, if I work hard one week and really knock of some weight I have to maintain that each week until I meet my goal and then be careful with my maintanance. What a wicked wicked cycle!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Nice job Mark! I was just telling Tash I've learned that whatever I choose to do I have to do that same routine for the rest of how ever long I choose. Maintanance is one thing. But for me someone who is looking to drop lbs, if I work hard one week and really knock of some weight I have to maintain that each week until I meet my goal and then be careful with my maintanance. What a wicked wicked cycle!
    Thanks! In the past I've been able to tell when my measurables are improving because I'll notice some physical changes too. This time I haven't noticed any differences, so it was a nice surprise.

I definitely get what you're saying about the routine. I'm a creature of habit, so I like getting in a routine and sticking with it. Getting in that groove is also when I tend to do best with my fitness goals. Getting off track just a little easily leads me to completely going off the rails lol.

Hope you and everybody else is doing well!
  • Options
    Well, after 8 straight full 2 hr workout days on 5 hours of sleep and 1200 calories, I finally bonked lol
    Ate 2000 calories yesterday and slept in this morning.
    May still go for a run tonight, we will see if I have time.

• Options
    Damn rgambs, I don't see how you can subsist on 1200 calories, especially if you're lifting. After a couple of days I would be so hungry that I wouldn't be worth a damn.
  • Options
    Damn rgambs, I don't see how you can subsist on 1200 calories, especially if you're lifting. After a couple of days I would be so hungry that I wouldn't be worth a damn.
    I eat lots of tuna and beef jerky and I tell myself that's enough lol
    I pushed too hard though and felt shaky and extremely fatigued yesterday at times.  I ate a bunch yesterday and am taking today off, so I should be ready to blast out a nice run and an upper body or leg day tomorrow.

I have to skip my Saturday cheat because I am an entire lb off schedule for the week, but I are good yesterday so it'll be alright.
  • Options
    So I've been reading that 1lb is equivalent to 3500 calories. I am 3 lbs away from being down 20lbs. That's pretty damn amazing! A lot of work I've put my body through! And obviously makes more sense the more you know. Now is easier to understand why you have to eat right and work out. So those of you dropping multiple lbs a week, bravo! Bravo! :clap:
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    So I've been reading that 1lb is equivalent to 3500 calories. I am 3 lbs away from being down 20lbs. That's pretty damn amazing! A lot of work I've put my body through! And obviously makes more sense the more you know. Now is easier to understand why you have to eat right and work out. So those of you dropping multiple lbs a week, bravo! Bravo! :clap:
    Great job! You should be proud of what you've accomplished. :clap:
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Great job Foxy!  Since you started your fitness journey you've burned 60,000 more calories than you consumed!!  That's equivalent to 105 BigMacs, 100 Starbucks fancy coffees, or around 200 donuts!
    Yeah, it takes a ton of work to burn 3500 calories, so the easiest option is to be careful at the dinner table and let your basal metabolic rate take care of it for you lol. 60,000 calories burned by running alone is like 600 miles!
    I did an hour of cardio this morning and burned somewhere between 500-900 calories, if I give in and have a donut and mocha frappe this morning that run disappears from my calorie deficit.
    One bad choice won't sink the entire ship, but when you start counting calories it's easy to see why America is so obese, 2 or 3 bad choices really add up.
    Those with low basal metabolic rates have to be extra careful and work extra hard, but don't listen to the people on the internet making excuses and talking about "starvation mode", it's bullshit.
    Create a caloric deficit and you WILL lose weight, it's an immutable law of physics.

This week started great, and ended with a trainwreck.  I pushed too hard and then bonked and rebounded with one day of overeating healthy food and a day of overeating junk food.
    My weigh in for the week is tomorrow morning, if I'm diligent today I may come in a half pound down.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    Thank you Mark! My current frustration is deciding if I'm wasting my time with cardio. I feel better with cardio. Right after and the next day I'm not as hungry. I'm not restrictions too much but I am watching calories. I just keep watching on YouTube that weight training is more effective. Which I believe. I just feel like I have weight I need to get off and I feel like you just need to mix it up once in a while so you don't get stuck. I am just trying to decide how to mix it up I guess. Lmao. I guess I already am anways.

Gambs! Thank you for all of that info! Very interesting! I am a bit worried. There will be Halloween treats at work in a few days and I can't wait to eat some pumpkin pie in a few weeks!!! Yum! I am definitely working on making long term changes. It's a bit difficult to fight the sweet tooth. The other changes I've made are fine. We lost power at work the other morning. A bunch of us went out for breakfast. I ordered oatmeal and turkey sausage and it was delightful! I wasn't even upset I didn't order bread or potatoes!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Thank you Mark! My current frustration is deciding if I'm wasting my time with cardio. I feel better with cardio. Right after and the next day I'm not as hungry. I'm not restrictions too much but I am watching calories. I just keep watching on YouTube that weight training is more effective. Which I believe. I just feel like I have weight I need to get off and I feel like you just need to mix it up once in a while so you don't get stuck. I am just trying to decide how to mix it up I guess. Lmao. I guess I already am anways.

Gambs! Thank you for all of that info! Very interesting! I am a bit worried. There will be Halloween treats at work in a few days and I can't wait to eat some pumpkin pie in a few weeks!!! Yum! I am definitely working on making long term changes. It's a bit difficult to fight the sweet tooth. The other changes I've made are fine. We lost power at work the other morning. A bunch of us went out for breakfast. I ordered oatmeal and turkey sausage and it was delightful! I wasn't even upset I didn't order bread or potatoes!
    You definitely aren't wasting your time with cardio!
    Strength training is great for losing weight long term and especially keeping it off, but it doesn't burn as many calories. 
    It's important to do both, if you let your cardiovascular fitness slide, it will surely effect your weight training.  
    Strength training is great, but take a look around the gym, it's obvious which guys lift without doing cardio and which do both.  I've noticed that the "weight lifting for fat loss" crowd online tends to be very biased and often not very low in fat lol it's big in bodybuilding circles where they have strictly controlled diet and fitness plans.  The thing is, when it comes time to get their body fat percentage down for a show, they do it by cutting calories and doing cardio.
    Increasing your muscle mass boosts your BMR, so it's great in the long term for keeping fat from building, it isn't going to give you pound/week results.
  • Options
    Ooooohhhhhhhhh. Welp that makes sense. Thank you! I will stick to mixing it up, but won't ignore cardio. I've felt better the last few days and I only did 3 cardio sessions, 30 minutes each, but I hadn't for weeks. And I personally feel better. I feel ok when I do my at home HIIT and at home lifting. I still have a ways to go.

I used to think,  gosh how great I would be just to drop 20lbs......and as I'm nearing that yes! Yes it is! I feel great. But wow lol I can see I could use another additional 20lbs ha! Amazing what we think until proven wrong. 

I think in the end I'll be happy with 50lbs. I hope I will reach a happy point and switch to maintanance. Now it's important and I have goals but I don't wanna be extreme outta control. I'm not or it'd be further along. But I'm a bit OCD and don't want any ritual crap coming of this. 
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Ooooohhhhhhhhh. Welp that makes sense. Thank you! I will stick to mixing it up, but won't ignore cardio. I've felt better the last few days and I only did 3 cardio sessions, 30 minutes each, but I hadn't for weeks. And I personally feel better. I feel ok when I do my at home HIIT and at home lifting. I still have a ways to go.

I used to think,  gosh how great I would be just to drop 20lbs......and as I'm nearing that yes! Yes it is! I feel great. But wow lol I can see I could use another additional 20lbs ha! Amazing what we think until proven wrong. 

I think in the end I'll be happy with 50lbs. I hope I will reach a happy point and switch to maintanance. Now it's important and I have goals but I don't wanna be extreme outta control. I'm not or it'd be further along. But I'm a bit OCD and don't want any ritual crap coming of this. 
    HIIT is the best of both worlds, you get almost all the benefits of cardio and strength training and it makes you functionally strong, not just the appearance of strength.

I'm shooting for 50 too, I'm at 40 right now, for the third time, and haven't been able to get there yet. I will.
  • Options
    1 pound UP from last week.
    :angry:

My workouts have been killer, my diet has been off and on.  Tomorrow's Halloween and that's always a spooky themed feast.  Boooo!!!   In both ways.

I need to get a handle on it and be very serious for the next weeks or the holidays are going to wreck me.
  • Options
    Morning gambs! Any chance that lb is muscles?!?? :star:  I hear ya about the holidays coming. I'm not going to freak or get excited. Going to relax enjoy and just work like hell after :lol:. I'm making life changes. I'm not on a diet. So no major restrictions here. I'm 2 lbs away from 20 gone! I'm just plugging away :smiley:
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Morning gambs! Any chance that lb is muscles?!?? :star:  I hear ya about the holidays coming. I'm not going to freak or get excited. Going to relax enjoy and just work like hell after :lol:. I'm making life changes. I'm not on a diet. So no major restrictions here. I'm 2 lbs away from 20 gone! I'm just plugging away :smiley:
    It is possible that it's at least partly muscle, I changed my lift schedule and am on an 8 day rotation and taking fewer days off so I'm getting close to 10 more lifts per month, with better spacing so each muscle group gets a better rest period.

It's actually your fault I'm over on weight, you made me make a pot (vat) of chili and cornbread lol
    Chili is a specialty of mine and I hadn't made it in about a year, this vat came out so good I can't eat just one bowl.
  • Options
    :rofl:

Cornbread!!!!!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    It is possible that it's at least partly muscle, I changed my lift schedule and am on an 8 day rotation and taking fewer days off so I'm getting close to 10 more lifts per month, with better spacing so each muscle group gets a better rest period.

It's actually your fault I'm over on weight, you made me make a pot (vat) of chili and cornbread lol
    Chili is a specialty of mine and I hadn't made it in about a year, this vat came out so good I can't eat just one bowl.
    A good chili can't be unhealthy. All those beans? And your fresh veggies?? Good stuff!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

A good chili can't be unhealthy. All those beans? And your fresh veggies?? Good stuff!
    It's not unhealthy, but calorie surplus is calorie surplus.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

Yeah and two massive bowls with 4 sq inch hunks of cornbread is a calorie surplus lol

Good stuff though
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

Yeah and two massive bowls with 4 sq inch hunks of cornbread is a calorie surplus lol

Good stuff though
    I'm not judging. I would have done the same lol.

If you get back to your normal routine, you'll get to your goal pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Got off work early and don't have to pick up the childboy so I'm back at the gym for HR 3 for the day!
    Woot!