Options

Our Fate Lies With Americans

124»

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    See, why do we even have to declare anything? For whose purpose? Certainly not mine, not yours, not ours.

Just let us fucking vote as we wish.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

hedonist said:

It shouldn't be about force.

I thought they are public servants? Listen and be true to their constituents, their promises?

Oh wait.....

I posted a link in the Bernie thread, it's fuckin' amazing how our two party system is set up to make it difficult and annoying to try to vote for someone like him. In my state, you have to have been a registered Democrat as of October this year to be able to vote for Bernie in the primary in April. If you're not a registered voter you can register to vote AND declare Democrat until March and be allowed to vote for Bernie in April.
    The difference between our voting process and yours is staggering.
    We get told an election date.
    We listen to the runners platforms.
    We get told where to go and place our vote on said day.
    We vote.
    Simple.
    I bet Canada's voter turnout is like twice what ours is. I was reading the Wikipedia about our primary cuz I'm weighing my options - don't wanna contribute to a split between Hillary and Bernie that ends up putting Jeb in the fucking White House cuz I will legit burn my voter card and never step foot inside a polling station again if that happens. It was saying about delegates and superdelegates and something about pre-committed or something I didn't get it and gave up. Shit makes no sense. The whole electoral college bullshit is just that, bullshit. And this is part of what I mean when I say that our system is designed to keep the poor working class (aka the majority of the people who live in my country) the fuck out of the process and the fuck out of the "ruling class' business". Stupid.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,758
    I've kind of gotten lost on the meandering trail of this thread but I will say this, America is the finger on the buttons that can turn this world to worms or be a major force to make it a marvelous place again. Why would we... DO WE... choose the former over and over and over again?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I've kind of gotten lost on the meandering trail of this thread but I will say this, America is the finger on the buttons that can turn this world to worms or be a major force to make it a marvelous place again. Why would we... DO WE... choose the former over and over and over again?

I'm not so sure this is a meandering thread.
    But it is becoming increasingly aware that the USA is getting called on the finger on trigger response.
  • Options

brianlux said:

I'm not so sure this is a meandering thread.
    But it is becoming increasingly aware that the USA is getting called on the finger on trigger response.
    Maybe not the best metaphor. Try this one:
    America can

Or we can
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    ^^^
    You can get with this or you can get with that.
  • Options

^^^
    You can get with this or you can get with that.

Yes. You can get with this

or this

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Or you can just go the Christopher route and start a' Walken!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    US just authorized $1.8 bln in weapons sales to Taiwan. Woo hoo.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

If Americans forced their governments to:
    * Stop their blind support of the Israeli Apartheid regime.
    * Stopped enacting a foreign policy that is in the interest of large multinational corporations.
    * Used their military might to maintain peace in the Middle East.
    * Cut their greenhouse gas emissions to a meaningful amount (technology already exists).
    * Spent a portion of tax dollars on helping to create a global ecomony that is fair and just.

How would spending our tax dollars in anyway help create a global economy that is fair and just?
    What is a global economy that is fair and just? Just saying that isn't enough, too many politicians just say things like that without explaining anything about what it would look like. I am not saying that to argue, I am interested in what you think that global economy will look like. For me the idea of a global economy and that it is fair seems to be mutually exclusive. Of course that is just my opinion, I am just glad there are passionate people out there that really want to see change happen and that I know are not just simply saying it. I know you are one of those, even if I disagree with you sometimes.

None of the suggestions you make are bad things at all, they are all great ideas, except #3, with respect, that is pretty much impossible. Using our military for anything but passive (meaning complete non-intervention) defense will always create conflict in the end.

ya ... the last one is a bit tricky because it's tied more with WTO and IMF and without going into too many specifics ... it boils down to fair trade ... it's like the chocolate you buy at the stores that say fair trade ... it means paying a fair price for goods and commodities ... obviously fair is subjective and relative but we can all agree paying kids a few cents a day to work on our peel and eat shrimp at the buffets is not fair ... and the argument that these jobs are better than no jobs holds no water ... in the west - we do not accept slave labour ... why should we in other parts of the world ... so, in essence a fair and just global economy means that goods and commodities are exchanged/bought/sold at a rate that is fair and just ... having a company like nestle go into a country ... bribe politicians and use mercenaries so they can pay nothing for water is what makes the global economy not fair and just ...

and I do believe that there can be peace in the middle east because there was peace there historically ... the conflict that exists there now is due to US involvement ... the problem is that the US has no moral authority yet they march around everywhere thinking they do ... how many MDF hospitals have been attacked in the last little while? ... how many civilians are dying daily from US led airstrikes? ... all with little to no accountability ...