Options

Our Fate Lies With Americans

Comments

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    polaris_x said:

This is the World's reality now. We live in a globalized society that continues to exploit the poor through economic imperialistic measures. The results are global warming; extreme poverty; mass displacement; refugees; terrorism; war and suffering. Peace is a funny thing - it's a nice little term we all say we want but in reality our actions speak otherwise. You want peace? Do you really? If so, you shouldn't be buying gas from Exxon; diamonds for your weddings; bottled water from Nestle; GM food from industrialized farming operations; etc...

All the problems that we face globally are the results of greed and our own selfishness. We all know this but we want our electronics and cheap goods and so we disassociate and focus on what They throw out there for us to use.

The violence, the suffering and the disparity is only going to get worse. Our only real hope for a future that isn't already written in stone lies with Americans. Although all Western Nations are complicit in this outcome - there really is only one country that could make a difference and that is the US of A.

If Americans forced their governments to:
    * Stop their blind support of the Israeli Apartheid regime.
    * Stopped enacting a foreign policy that is in the interest of large multinational corporations.
    * Used their military might to maintain peace in the Middle East.
    * Cut their greenhouse gas emissions to a meaningful amount (technology already exists).
    * Spent a portion of tax dollars on helping to create a global ecomony that is fair and just.

We would have a different world ... it would not be a Utopia of non-violence and Disney movies. But it would be a world where we treat life with respect.

This can only be done by Americans because it is America that stands alone with Israel; that has engaged in an illegal war in Iraq; that is responsible for the 2nd most emissions (should note that although China has the most - it's per capita emission rate is far less than the US).

Unless Americans force this change as a supposed democracy. We can only expect more of the same.

This is the world's reality?
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

This is the World's reality now. We live in a globalized society that continues to exploit the poor through economic imperialistic measures. The results are global warming; extreme poverty; mass displacement; refugees; terrorism; war and suffering. Peace is a funny thing - it's a nice little term we all say we want but in reality our actions speak otherwise. You want peace? Do you really? If so, you shouldn't be buying gas from Exxon; diamonds for your weddings; bottled water from Nestle; GM food from industrialized farming operations; etc...

All the problems that we face globally are the results of greed and our own selfishness. We all know this but we want our electronics and cheap goods and so we disassociate and focus on what They throw out there for us to use.

The violence, the suffering and the disparity is only going to get worse. Our only real hope for a future that isn't already written in stone lies with Americans. Although all Western Nations are complicit in this outcome - there really is only one country that could make a difference and that is the US of A.

* Stopped enacting a foreign policy that is in the interest of large multinational corporations.
    * Cut their greenhouse gas emissions to a meaningful amount (technology already exists).
    * Spent a portion of tax dollars on helping to create a global ecomony that is fair and just.

We would have a different world ... it would not be a Utopia of non-violence and Disney movies. But it would be a world where we treat life with respect.

This can only be done by Americans because it is America that stands alone with Israel; that has engaged in an illegal war in Iraq; that is responsible for the 2nd most emissions (should note that although China has the most - it's per capita emission rate is far less than the US).

Unless Americans force this change as a supposed democracy. We can only expect more of the same.

This is the world's reality?
    Well it's not really my reality, here in Ireland we live in our own little world :)
  • Options
    This seems to be a more accurate commentary on the world's reality

http://youtu.be/aTwP_0zXQiw

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    pjhawks said:

polaris_x said:

pjhawks said:

I'd love to hear what personal consequences and how your life is affected on a daily basis by what America and it's actions have done or created. Please enlighten us.

Isn't it great when people complain about corporate America...by using their Apple (or some equivalent) computer or phone, connecting via their Verizon of Comcast internet, on a band's website paying via Visa, Mastercard or American Express for access to said website, not to mention most likely sitting in their brand name clothes to post. such hypocrisy.

dude ... could you be anymore stereotypical!? ... lemme guess - you think terrorists hate america because you have the kardashians and that global warming isn't real because you're cold today?

I could drive a hummer to pick up my bottled water while dumping my mcdonalds out in the street and it still wouldn't change what is ostensibly fact ... it's like asking if someone wears leather if they voice concern for animal welfare ... AGAIN - you continue to prove my point about disassociation ... instead of thinking about what I wrote and the merits behind the sentiments - all you are doing is looking for outs or means to disregard the facts ... it's so lazy and sad ...
    deflect and failed to answer my simple query. not surprising.
    You gotta be kidding me!?

You ask an irrelevant question. Made irrelevant by my response. If the biggest terrorist stands up and says killing of innocent people is bad - is he wrong? I also pointed out that you pose these questions because you lack the ability to respond to the content I posted. You have not once addressed any of it - just looked for the easiest thing you could think of to discredit it without actually focusing on the facts. Lazy but not surprising.

Everyone is a hypocrite - no one can argue against that. Using hypocrisy as a way of avoidance is what is sad.

If you are going to disassociate until I answer - then consider me to be the worst environmentalist, a polluter, a racist, just a horrible human being. Then tell me how that has any relevance to what I've stated except to give you a reason not to listen.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

how is this one guy's reality any different than the reality I've posted?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    BS44325 said:

I mean he obviously doesn't like Obama. Aside from the rhetoric about sitting him on an impalement rod (the fuck?) this guy ain't that far off. Since it's been discovered that SB was a terrorist attack, then the intelligence agencies who have all the resources in the world (in the form of the patriot act) ought to have some level of responsibility for not having any intel on this prior to the act.

Nothing wrong with calling on those leaders in charge to be held accountible and accept responsibility. No, I don't think Obama should resign to stand trial. But I understand the sentiment.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

Egypt is fighting for survival against Islamic radicalism and clearly does not see America to be the problem that you see it to be. The fight against this strain of islam is reality while your initial post is fantasy.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

Egypt is fighting for survival against Islamic radicalism and clearly does not see America to be the problem that you see it to be. The fight against this strain of islam is reality while your initial post is fantasy.
    I would take you more seriously if you would point out anything that is not factual about my statements. It would also help if you didn't take some rant from one guy in Egypt to represent the world's reality.

I think you've missed the boat completely.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

I would take you more seriously if you would point out anything that is not factual about my statements. It would also help if you didn't take some rant from one guy in Egypt to represent the world's reality.

And yet you expect everyone on here to accept one guy's rant on the AMT as the world's reality...

Check your privilege!

• Options
    BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

And yet you expect everyone on here to accept one guy's rant on the AMT as the world's reality...

Check your privilege!

are you serious? again - feel free to counter my statements ... no one has been able to including yourself ...

the video you posted isn't someone ranting about the world's reality ... he's talking about one thing and one thing only ... he's not claiming to be addressing our global reality ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

Check your privilege!

are you serious? again - feel free to counter my statements ... no one has been able to including yourself ...

the video you posted isn't someone ranting about the world's reality ... he's talking about one thing and one thing only ... he's not claiming to be addressing our global reality ...
    He is ranting about the war against radical islam and secular survival for his people, country, and region. That is reality for a large part of the world right now and you think if America only fulfills the following checklist that we will move closer to "utopia"

"If Americans forced their governments to:
    * Spent a portion of tax dollars on helping to create a global ecomony that is fair and just."

So I guess my only question is are you the one that's serious?
  • Options
    I wouldn't say our fate lies with the Americans.
    They are a super power that the world does not deny sure but I am quite certain at the end of the day they make the short list of countries globally that we can trust.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

Check your privilege!

He is ranting about the war against radical islam and secular survival for his people, country, and region. That is reality for a large part of the world right now and you think if America only fulfills the following checklist that we will move closer to "utopia"

* Spent a portion of tax dollars on helping to create a global ecomony that is fair and just."

ok - you win ... if you really think that terrorism is the only problem in the world right now and that one country's survival within it is the single biggest reality for much of the world - then we can't have a rational discussion ...

and YES - if americans did do what I said in the checklist ... the world would be a more peaceful place ... I don't believe in Utopia nor have I ever suggested it ... but if you list ALL the major issues facing the world today ... issues you don't seem capable of discussing ... you can see that the US is at the heart of most of it ...

• Options

They are a super power that the world does not deny sure but I am quite certain at the end of the day they make the short list of countries globally that we can trust.

what does our supposed "trust" have anything to do with what I posted? it is about their influence on the world currently and how if that influenced were redirected - how that would change ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

polaris_x said:

BS44325 said:

Check your privilege!

ok - you win ... if you really think that terrorism is the only problem in the world right now and that one country's survival within it is the single biggest reality for much of the world - then we can't have a rational discussion ...

and YES - if americans did do what I said in the checklist ... the world would be a more peaceful place ... I don't believe in Utopia nor have I ever suggested it ... but if you list ALL the major issues facing the world today ... issues you don't seem capable of discussing ... you can see that the US is at the heart of most of it ...

I discuss these issues all the time. Even the people who disagree with me on here will back me up on that.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

what does our supposed "trust" have anything to do with what I posted? it is about their influence on the world currently and how if that influenced were redirected - how that would change ...
    Your OP suggests that if Americans were to follow your checklist then peace would be obtained.
    They have a big influence on the world yes but I also think that they are part of a bigger package when they say they are an ally to a country on environmental issues. Part of me thinks that when the rest of the world stops thinking of Americans of having a view such as the pic below (although funny) progress can be made.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757

polaris_x said:

Your OP suggests that if Americans were to follow your checklist then peace would be obtained.
    They have a big influence on the world yes but I also think that they are part of a bigger package when they say they are an ally to a country on environmental issues. Part of me thinks that when the rest of the world stops thinking of Americans of having a view such as the pic below (although funny) progress can be made.
    Oh, but for so many here that rings true!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    canada should say " hockey"
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,867
    ldent42 said:

canada should say " hockey"

Or attic.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Or sane Americans.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    how does one changing how they view americans invoke progress? does one think that americans really give a fuck what people think of them!? ... pretty sure they don't ...

can anyone actually dispute that the USA is heavily tied to all major global issues? ... whether it be war, global warming, poverty, etc...?
  • Options
    Um yea. I'm pretty sure the English, Dutch and French helped a little with the poverty.
    And while America undoubtedly is the biggest contributor to the greenhouse gasses since they started keeping track, China and Brazil ain't helping right now.

But all this shit you're talking about has very little to do with people who live in the US. I don't know where you get this idea that people can force their governments to do anything. That ain't how it works here. Maybe in other countries. Not here.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Um yea. I'm pretty sure the English, Dutch and French helped a little with the poverty.
    And while America undoubtedly is the biggest contributor to the greenhouse gasses since they started keeping track, China and Brazil ain't helping right now.

But all this shit you're talking about has very little to do with people who live in the US. I don't know where you get this idea that people can force their governments to do anything. That ain't how it works here. Maybe in other countries. Not here.

well ... i don't necessarily disagree with that ... if it was easy - it'd be done ... all i'm saying is that no matter what anyone anywhere does ... without americans making fundamental changes - we will get more of the same ...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,582
    ldent42 said:

You sound completely resigned. :frowning:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    polaris_x said:

How would spending our tax dollars in anyway help create a global economy that is fair and just?
    What is a global economy that is fair and just? Just saying that isn't enough, too many politicians just say things like that without explaining anything about what it would look like. I am not saying that to argue, I am interested in what you think that global economy will look like. For me the idea of a global economy and that it is fair seems to be mutually exclusive. Of course that is just my opinion, I am just glad there are passionate people out there that really want to see change happen and that I know are not just simply saying it. I know you are one of those, even if I disagree with you sometimes.

None of the suggestions you make are bad things at all, they are all great ideas, except #3, with respect, that is pretty much impossible. Using our military for anything but passive (meaning complete non-intervention) defense will always create conflict in the end.

that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

You sound completely resigned. :frowning:
    Resigned to reality? Um yea, it's a habit.
  • Options
    ^^^
    No one forces their govt to do anything.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It shouldn't be about force.

I thought they are public servants? Listen and be true to their constituents, their promises?

Oh wait.....
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I thought they are public servants? Listen and be true to their constituents, their promises?

Oh wait.....

I posted a link in the Bernie thread, it's fuckin' amazing how our two party system is set up to make it difficult and annoying to try to vote for someone like him. In my state, you have to have been a registered Democrat as of October this year to be able to vote for Bernie in the primary in April. If you're not a registered voter you can register to vote AND declare Democrat until March and be allowed to vote for Bernie in April.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    ldent42 said:

hedonist said:

Oh wait.....

I posted a link in the Bernie thread, it's fuckin' amazing how our two party system is set up to make it difficult and annoying to try to vote for someone like him. In my state, you have to have been a registered Democrat as of October this year to be able to vote for Bernie in the primary in April. If you're not a registered voter you can register to vote AND declare Democrat until March and be allowed to vote for Bernie in April.
    The difference between our voting process and yours is staggering.
    We get told an election date.
    We listen to the runners platforms.
    We get told where to go and place our vote on said day.
    We vote.
    Simple.